» «
Photo

How big do mountains feel to you?

11 replies to this topic
Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:09 PM Edited by Versous, 29 September 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Hey GTA community,

I was wondering how big the mountains feel to some of you. I'd say that the whole map is an incredible achievement for current gen. It feels like a living, extremely detailed map.

However, the mountains just don't feel huge to me. It's more like an illusion. When you see them from a couple miles away, you may think that they're huge

But then I can climb them with a Quad in like 2 minutes and I wouldn't say it's like a joke (because they are detailed and beautiful) 

but they feel far from something I would consider "Huge". When a game is promoted with a big map and Mountains in a next-gen open world Game (NOT cross-gen) I expect Mountains that are at least 5 times bigger than the ones in GTA.

Thats my view, and I know some people who have similar thoughts, So I don't think that I am exaggerating but what about you?

high247
  • high247

@HighOnBeats

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

try walking up them... then tell me they are not huge lol

grayborders
  • grayborders

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hey GTA community,

I was wondering how big the mountains feel to some of you. I'd say that the whole map is an incredible achievement for current gen. It feels like a living, extremely detailed map.

However, the mountains just don't feel huge to me. It's more like an illusion. When you see them from a couple miles away, you may think that they're huge

But then I can climb them with a Quad in like 2 minutes and I wouldn't say it's like a joke (because they are detailed and beautiful) 

but they feel far from something I would consider "Huge". When a game is promoted with a big map and Mountains in a next-gen open world Game (NOT cross-gen) I expect Mountains that are at least 5 times bigger than the ones in GTA.

Thats my view, and I know some people who have similar thoughts, So I don't think that I am exaggerating but what about you?

Skyrims biggest mountain was smaller/ and thats a fact, the only reason that felt anything big cause you have to walk up in a spiral, ust cause 2`s mountains are bigger but the game lacks actual detail, all it have is coppaste randomized forsets, so you wont find any bigger mountain in games atm.

Sergio2007
  • Sergio2007

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM Edited by Sergio2007, 29 September 2013 - 06:13 PM.

@high247: lol it's just his opinion you dumb bastard. Just accept it. I think the same way. I walked up Chiliad, but I still think it could be way bigger.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

To be honest, the mountains are the last place you'd ever find me in this game world. They are just empty, flat and void of detail. Yeah, okay, the spare bush here and there, but there's just nothing up there but ugly textures and very visible polygons. They feel like they were placed in there early in the map concept part of development and nothing was added since. Very poor part of the world for sure. And yeah, they do feel pretty small when climbing up, but I will admit you get to the top of Chiliad in a modded fast car then drive straight off a cliff, you feel that verticality and height.

Soarindude
  • Soarindude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

They're large. Of course, if you're going 80 miles straight up with a Quad bike then it's not going to seem long. Remember the bike side mission though with Franklin? It was awesome to go down the trail, see how long it took to go down the mountain and around the countryside, and everything in between. That's been my favorite side mission so far. The mountains are well made, however, the quad bike being able to go 80 miles up a 90 degree angle is just, unrealistic.

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:15 PM Edited by Versous, 29 September 2013 - 06:15 PM.

try walking up them... then tell me they are not huge lol

Thats not my point. It just creates a crazy illusion when you can climb them with a quad in such a short time.

It's like saying "try walking around the map and tell me it is not huge" 

I'm not saying they're small, but really just average in size TO ME :)

Thisnamehasnotbeentaken
  • Thisnamehasnotbeentaken

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Skyrim still has the best mountains this gen.

Scimitars Of Drizzt
  • Scimitars Of Drizzt

Cranky Forum Members

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Nah I would disagree. They seem large enough to me.

manik05
  • manik05

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

After spending a couple of days camping in wales, id have to say im happy with them.

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:20 PM Edited by Versous, 29 September 2013 - 06:23 PM.

To be honest, the mountains are the last place you'd ever find me in this game world. They are just empty, flat and void of detail. Yeah, okay, the spare bush here and there, but there's just nothing up there but ugly textures and very visible polygons. They feel like they were placed in there early in the map concept part of development and nothing was added since. Very poor part of the world for sure. And yeah, they do feel pretty small when climbing up, but I will admit you get to the top of Chiliad in a modded fast car then drive straight off a cliff, you feel that verticality and height.

Accept your thoughts but that was a bit harsh I think. 

Well they still have wild animals on them and thats a part of a detailed, living game world don't forget that. And it's fun to drive on them/ Basejump and so on.

Trevingit
  • Trevingit

cheese meister

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think this map is at its limit for current consoles, or would you prefer longer loading times and less frames per seconds, I know I wouldn't. Wait till next gen sandbox games, them maps are gonna be huge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users