Quantcast

» «
Photo

Discussion: GTA V Police (too easy, too hard, just right?)

1,688 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the Police AI in GTA V? (645 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the Police AI in GTA V?

1. Yes I love it! (176 votes [27.29%])

Percentage of vote: 27.29%

2. Don't really care, I just shoot them. (72 votes [11.16%])

Percentage of vote: 11.16%

3. No, it could be improved. (397 votes [61.55%])

Percentage of vote: 61.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

...Natural Selection...

boshk
  • boshk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:14 PM Edited by boshk, 25 December 2013 - 05:16 PM.

the police are not hard, but it is annoying that they can just spawn wherever they want to. also, where are they getting their bursts of speed from to ram you? even if i'm driving a cop car. they should never be able to do that to me if i'm drving something with the same abilities or faster. but at the end of the day, its pretty easy to get rid of the cops, just find a tunnel, or if less then 3 stars, a hill.

• Militia likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yup, just annoyances more than difficulties.

I found out how to get the tank to last a little longer.  The key is to not run over any police cars.  This effects the tank it seems more than ANYTHING else (driving into something like a wall, helicopters shooting the tank, NOOSE shooting the tank, along with FIB Granger SUV's, etc).  These things effect the tank's life slightly, but not as severly as running over vehicles.  Just took my tank out of the hanger to see how long I could last and I got it up to 35 minutes with a five star wanted level which is a lot.  Before this I was only clocking in around 10-20 minutes.  So 35 minutes is a big improvement.  It also helps to obtain the five star wanted level inside the hanger before taking it out of the hanger.  Shoot down as many helicopters as quick as you can as well.  This helps a lot to have the tank live longer.  Thing is, like everyone is saying, and I totally agree, the helicopters keep spawning in front of me or to the left/right of me.  I'll shoot down both helicopters around me, and 5 seconds later another two are right there again, persistent assholes that need to be shot the f*ck down.  Like I said, don't run over any cop cars, or at least try not to and shoot down as many helicopters as quickly as you can as well.

Sneakymist
  • Sneakymist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by Sneakymist, 26 December 2013 - 03:44 AM.

1. Cop car ramming! I mean, yeah sure, ram me if I'm going at a slower speed than the police. BUT if I'm already at top speed with a car that naturally goes faster than a police car, how does the police car catch up to me? 

2. Every police officer is extremely accurate. Basically, their hit accuracy is probably 85%+ whereas in GTA 4 is was probably closer to 60%. It's a bit difficult to have a long shootout when there's 20 police officers that can hit you perfectly within 300m. 

3. This one annoys me to death: Let's say I'm wanted but the police is searching for me. I've moved to a different location and hide behind a building. How does the police know exactly where to to look for me? Why don't they look a block ahead or a block behind? It's like the police subconsciously know where you are even where you're being searched. 

4. Everyone's complained about this time. I've killed someone in the middle of scenic nowhere; the only thing that saw me kill the person is a bird, yet the police come rushing down to my location within 30 seconds. Even in Red Dead Redemption it made more sense; you would only get wanted if someone saw you kill a person. 

• jeanrjm likes this

V8 Engine
  • V8 Engine

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

It depends to me...I feel stealth is a bigger factor to me in V compared to IV!

zachbesnacken
  • zachbesnacken

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

Im playing gta right now with 5 stars and im currently at 1hr 30min 54sec and i dont know how but im inside the prison and i cant die at the spot im at but i used skyfall to get to here thats the only non legit thing about this

jeanrjm
  • jeanrjm

Tactical

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:32 AM Edited by jeanrjm, 26 December 2013 - 05:59 PM.

The Cop system 'works' the same as before, even worse. They're set to spawn near the player.
Difference is: now they'll only attack you if you are in their field of view. In cars they spawn in every street in your area. On foot they just are set to "dance" around until you be spotted.
But there is more:
-Enemies and cops hit almost every shot.
-They can ram you even in an Adder.
-Your health doesn't last more than a few shots.
-When shot enemies or cops they only fall, don't die.
-Your wanted level increases faster and to get rid lasts longer
-Peds call them just cause you are near them
-In some places you can't get cover.
You know R* likes to joke on things. I think now the players are the clowns. GTA V is graphics, scripted missions and Yoga.
If is this the future, GTA from now on, only after gameplays.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Gangsta Bunny

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:31 PM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 26 December 2013 - 09:33 PM.

I love when cops do their "rubber band speed boost" trick while I'm evading them offroad, because they're still sh*tty off road drivers. They'll blast up the hill and either not be able to climb it the rest of the way when their boost wears off, or they'll overshoot and fly into the air, hit a tree and explode. Or just generally behave like asshats. Ram me into an open field, there ya go buddy. Their AI gets clusterf*cked if you're off road.

And is it just me, or do the cops online seem dumber, but more aggressive?  

HolographicBunny
  • HolographicBunny

[TITLE DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:44 AM Edited by HolographicBunny, 27 December 2013 - 02:16 PM.

They ARE alot harder than they used to be, but not overwhelmingly so. I generally agree w/ the folks who appreciate the added realism, and greater need for efficient tactics in a firefight. The special abilities also do alot to relevel the playing field.

Agreed, the spawning issue makes it too hard to outrun them or to stick and move, eventually whittling down the number of observers to the point getting out of there becomes child's play, like you used to be able to do (and I'm NO slouch at either.)

My big beef? The excessively long cool down time, especially at one star. It really detracts from the experience to be 50 ft from somewhere I've driven 10 miles to, nudge a cop, and then in order to avoid tearing another quarter of the way across the map, needing to hide in a bush for 90 DAMN SECONDS. I've put the controller down and gone to the restroom or the fridge waiting for them to give up.

Mostly the changes are agreeable to me, but if I had my druthers (in no particular order:) 1) It would take just a bit more to get that first star. You can't hardly do a thing without getting chased anymore. 2) Shorter cooldown time, at least for the first star. 3) Greater minimum spawn distance, and perhaps the game could draw a cone for you (to itself) and not spawn cops within the cone, so while you might still get that "Now where could be possibly have come from?!?" effect, you'd never see a cop beam down from the Enterprise. 4) Response should at least be somewhat related to distance from a dispatch location, perhaps just a set of invisible borders that the game knew separating areas based on remoteness. A few different values for different zones, giving different windows of time before they started spawning. Something like 2 seconds (within draw distance of a police station) to 40 seconds (most of the way up Mt. Chilead.) It'd be 5-10 seconds for Los Santos proper. 5) It should take about twice as long to go from one star to two for the simple act of not complacently giving yourself over to them.

Just my thoughts on how it could be more balanced. Overall I enjoy the increased challenge.
  • Cutter De Blanc likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

I love when cops do their "rubber band speed boost" trick while I'm evading them offroad, because they're still sh*tty off road drivers. They'll blast up the hill and either not be able to climb it the rest of the way when their boost wears off, or they'll overshoot and fly into the air, hit a tree and explode. Or just generally behave like asshats. Ram me into an open field, there ya go buddy. Their AI gets clusterf*cked if you're off road.

And is it just me, or do the cops online seem dumber, but more aggressive?  

Well that is why I say go up a hill on one or two stars.  Cuz they overshoot the hill at times and crash and burn, quite funny actually and fun to play with them.  If the hill is big enough, they will park on the street and try running up it, but it usually never happens, they just stand there doing nothing until the timer runs out lol

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

If your near water when wanted, you can also swim away and dive underwater when you have 1 or 2 stars. Especially in the Alamo Sea, no Predators seem to spawn there for me.

• Militia likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

If your near water when wanted, you can also swim away and dive underwater when you have 1 or 2 stars. Especially in the Alamo Sea, no Predators seem to spawn there for me.

Yeah, the Alamo Sea is quite funny.  I'll be in the Lazer or Attack Chopper with 5 star wanted level in Blaine County as Trevor.  Once I fly above the sea, the wanted stars start flashing, and if you just continue flying back and forth over the sea, no police boats, helicopters, or obviously cars, will be in the sea.  Using that method lets you stay "in the map" to lose the wanted level instead of flying out into the Pacific Ocean just to escape the police.  Even doing that makes helicopters continuously spawn in front of you out of nowhere.  Wacky system lol

Username_already_taken
  • Username_already_taken

http://gtaforums.com/

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I've not played it enough to fully make a judgement, I've only encountered them around 3 times. But I notices they're so much harder to get away from, it seems to take forever, and the usual trick of appearing on the map as you go is still in it.

I was on my way to one of the characters on the map when I stopped to help out some woman screaming about some sh*t, I think that's the last time I fall for that. It turned out to be some ambush and I had to shoot them all, once that was sorted police turn up and they started shooting at me, I think I only had one star but soon went to 2 as they shot my ass - I ended up dying anyway to smashing through the window screen trying to get away. But to me it doesn't look any easier than 4.

Quesidillas
  • Quesidillas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yea, the same thing happened to me. I helped a lady then I had to shoot some people. Instant 2 star when I tried to help a lady. I also agree that it's way harder to escape then IV.

Username_already_taken
  • Username_already_taken

http://gtaforums.com/

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yea, the same thing happened to me. I helped a lady then I had to shoot some people. Instant 2 star when I tried to help a lady. I also agree that it's way harder to escape then IV.

I assumed it was a trap so took my anger out on the woman and shot her too. Lesson learned anyway!

HolographicBunny
  • HolographicBunny

[TITLE DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:53 AM Edited by HolographicBunny, 28 December 2013 - 03:22 AM.

I keep seeing people giving good advice about taking to the water or underground. My personal favored tactic is to hide in a bush . Fleeing off-road, as much as the off-road aspects of the game add to the total package, is also over-utilized. Really there's nothing wrong with having any of these options, except that they are far and away your best options.

I posit, however, that GTA has always been a game about driving and shooting, at its core mechanic. While I appreciate the increased challenge, I feel like something important has been lost due to little imbalances in the new paradigm making it nearly impossible (or, more accurately, quite impractical) to outrun or outshoot your pursuers.

I am irritated that my best tactical option (even at 2 stars, and there's hardly any getting just one star anymore without it turning into two because of timing tweaks to the star system; the one star cooldown period seems almost to be a greater length of time than the "going to two stars for not giving yourself up" period) is to go find a hole in the ground to cower in, like a rat. The atmosphere of the game really loses something when running scared is the appropriate response to any level of pursuit.

I appreciate what R* was trying to do, and trust, my frustration doesn't stem from being overwhelmed by the difficulty. I got GTA skills on top of GTA skills, and in this I am supremely confident. I just think they swung a little too far this other direction.

Great driving or great shooting should be valuable skills throughout the game, not just in-mission. In the current incarnation of the system, though, during a police chase great driving is most useful for getting to the hills or the water or a hole in the ground alive during your panicked flight. Great shooting, as well, is most useful for staving off your impending massacre for a few more seconds and perhaps buying enough time to continue the same panicked flight.

A good jump or a high speed hairpin turn or a thread of the needle through a gap with mere inches of clearance on either side used to be rewarded by, if not throwing off pursuit, at least stimying it and getting you a step closer to getting away. Now there's always another cop from nowhere at the end of the gap or around the corner, or coming up the onramp of the freeway you're expertly tearing down the wrong side of at 110 mph through rush hour traffic. By the same token, violently shaking them off used to be a calculated risk, sometimes being an effective way to get some eyes off of you and aid your escape, even if it might increase the intensity of the pursuit. Not so anymore, unfortunately.

P.S. The following was intended as a parenthetical after I mentioned hiding in bushes, but it grew far too long for that: [sidenote: If R* thought those of us who figured out how to hide in bushes in GTA IV online had come across something neat enough to incorporate as a single player mechanic, why did they then take away our ability to crouch down in one? Never mind accuracy, I prefer mobility. Hiding was pretty much exclusively what I used crouching for. I'd barely miss it of not for its helpfulness regarding a function that it never even existed alongside.]
  • Profesh and ThroatSlasher2 like this

JoeMamma
  • JoeMamma

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

The only reason I would say "yes" is because of how ruthless they are.  I've tried being a good samaratin before and getting in front of a car that the PD is trying to pull over, only to have the two guys in the car being pulled over waste the two cops.  So, me being me, I waste the two cop killers and get a two-star wanted level and get killed.  WTF??! 

Plus, the spawning system for helos is ridiculous!  You can out-run a chopper in a car, only to have two more just magically spawn RIGHT in front of you.  I call BS on that.

• stjimmy3 likes this

coolfan
  • coolfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:42 AM Edited by coolfan, 28 December 2013 - 02:59 AM.

I agree with OP's opinion. I mean police is firing shots at me for a Single star wanted level. Oh Come ON!!

I miss Vice City police. Those cops will chase you (on foot) on single star and won't shoot you untill 2 star lvl. 

and another thing is that in Vice City you would be rewarded for stopping a criminal. In GTA 5 if you try to help cops you'll get in their most wanted list.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

It's been annoying me alot recently, mostly since i completed the story line and most side missions so i have lots of time and money to waste. Playing as Trevor i climbed Chilliad and somewhere near the peak i stealth killed a female hiker, all of a sudden i've got a one star wanted level and after a quick look at the map there's a police cruiser driving straight towards me with nowhere to go, i'm the fed up with police now i can't be arsed trying to get away from them, i just fire an rpg straight at them and in this case i sent those c*nts a few thousand feet down to hell.

Very very tedious the police.

GTAnian
  • GTAnian

Rat

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have just started playing GTA V today and I was driving a massive timber truck up the steep hills of Vnewood, the police began chasing a car going downhill, so I stopped to watch the police. Another car came down the hill and bumped into the side of the log trailer. 1* wanted level!. I tried to escape but the wanted level went up to 2* and I got WASTED whilst I was driving!

gtaOnlinemods
  • gtaOnlinemods

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

The 1*Star Wanted Level is acceptable. Modded my game to have max 1 Star Wanted Level and now i can make more realistic Cop Chases

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

The 1*Star Wanted Level is acceptable. Modded my game to have max 1 Star Wanted Level and now i can make more realistic Cop Chases

LOL, might as well just throw the game out as you can't handle the wanted system.  Are you that incompetent that you can't escape 2-5 stars?  How sad.

Where is the fun in 1 star?  That's total bullsh*t if you ask me.  Most people who complain about the police, can't handle this game I'd reckon.

Go on, bitch all you want at me for telling you my opinion.  I know it'll happen.

• stjimmy3 likes this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

You really SUCK if you can't handle that...lame.

• Militia likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

You really SUCK if you can't handle that...lame.

LOL, tell me about it.  Usually these people either suck at the game OR are so impatient and can't evade the police the proper way by waiting out the time or hiding underground.  It's so easy.  I had trouble in the beginning of the game, before knowing hiding places and the underground subway/train tunnels, now it's so easy it's not even fun how easy it is, yet people still complain and think they are impossible lol

gtaOnlinemods
  • gtaOnlinemods

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:47 PM Edited by gtaOnlinemods, 28 December 2013 - 01:53 PM.

I can handle 5 star Wanted Level, I use 1 Star Wanted Level to make good Car Chases just for fun where Cops just chase  me trying to arrest me instead of killing me.

And while i have the wanted level im not actually trying to escape, i press the button to make 1 Star Wanted Level Stick so that they cant lose me.     Dude you are the one bitching in here, im just having my fun

I have Completed the story mode (Legit: Without Cheats and Without Mods) And now im just messing around

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

1 star is nothing.  Not even a chase as it's only 1 star until they see you (then it goes up to 2 stars) so really, you can't have a 1 star chase.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

LOL, that is how I see it as well ^^

Profesh
  • Profesh

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:40 AM Edited by Profesh, 29 December 2013 - 12:41 AM.

I keep seeing people giving good advice about taking to the water or underground. My personal favored tactic is to hide in a bush . Fleeing off-road, as much as the off-road aspects of the game add to the total package, is also over-utilized. Really there's nothing wrong with having any of these options, except that they are far and away your best options.

I posit, however, that GTA has always been a game about driving and shooting, at its core mechanic. While I appreciate the increased challenge, I feel like something important has been lost due to little imbalances in the new paradigm making it nearly impossible (or, more accurately, quite impractical) to outrun or outshoot your pursuers.

I am irritated that my best tactical option (even at 2 stars, and there's hardly any getting just one star anymore without it turning into two because of timing tweaks to the star system; the one star cooldown period seems almost to be a greater length of time than the "going to two stars for not giving yourself up" period) is to go find a hole in the ground to cower in, like a rat. The atmosphere of the game really loses something when running scared is the appropriate response to any level of pursuit.

I appreciate what R* was trying to do, and trust, my frustration doesn't stem from being overwhelmed by the difficulty. I got GTA skills on top of GTA skills, and in this I am supremely confident. I just think they swung a little too far this other direction.

Great driving or great shooting should be valuable skills throughout the game, not just in-mission. In the current incarnation of the system, though, during a police chase great driving is most useful for getting to the hills or the water or a hole in the ground alive during your panicked flight. Great shooting, as well, is most useful for staving off your impending massacre for a few more seconds and perhaps buying enough time to continue the same panicked flight.

A good jump or a high speed hairpin turn or a thread of the needle through a gap with mere inches of clearance on either side used to be rewarded by, if not throwing off pursuit, at least stimying it and getting you a step closer to getting away. Now there's always another cop from nowhere at the end of the gap or around the corner, or coming up the onramp of the freeway you're expertly tearing down the wrong side of at 110 mph through rush hour traffic. By the same token, violently shaking them off used to be a calculated risk, sometimes being an effective way to get some eyes off of you and aid your escape, even if it might increase the intensity of the pursuit. Not so anymore, unfortunately.

P.S. The following was intended as a parenthetical after I mentioned hiding in bushes, but it grew far too long for that: [sidenote: If R* thought those of us who figured out how to hide in bushes in GTA IV online had come across something neat enough to incorporate as a single player mechanic, why did they then take away our ability to crouch down in one? Never mind accuracy, I prefer mobility. Hiding was pretty much exclusively what I used crouching for. I'd barely miss it of not for its helpfulness regarding a function that it never even existed alongside.]

Eloquently put, and sentiments with which I wholeheartedly concur.

EminemGirl69
  • EminemGirl69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

The cops shouldn't no the exact moment when you commit a crime, the cops are terrible I hate them!
The cops shouldn't no the exact moment when you commit a crime, the cops are terrible I hate them!
  • GTAnian and PaulDPearl like this

unfairlane
  • unfairlane

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

I talked to a female the other day (unarmed) and she called the police and shortly after I was killed :blink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users