Quantcast

» «
Photo

Discussion: GTA V Police (too easy, too hard, just right?)

1,748 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the Police AI in GTA V? (719 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the Police AI in GTA V?

1. Yes I love it! (184 votes [25.59%])

Percentage of vote: 25.59%

2. Don't really care, I just shoot them. (83 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. No, it could be improved. (452 votes [62.87%])

Percentage of vote: 62.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote
stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

I take a no nonsence attitude to the Police. As far as I am concerned I payed for the game and so it is mine!

Ram me? I'm glad, it just makes me more ruthless.

You have to show them who is boss.

Want to take a plane. Well sir, take it...By Any Means Neccasary...

OP you may be being too soft on them. Remeber it is YOUR game and they need to Respect your authoritah!

Youre a f*cking moron.

I admire your passion. But where are you when the chips go down?

Somebody is taking this Heisenberg thing to seriously. 

szmty
  • szmty

Hi Ho

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

I don't think they're too 'difficult'

BUT

They are WAY too aggressive...

Stealing a CAR after a minute gains you TWO wanted stars and the guns start blazing. Why the f*ck did i get killed by the police for stealing a BIKE?!

And people call the police on you for STANDING.

THAT, is horse-sh*t 

A one time when I was going for a nice hike, I pushed the button that has the character say stuff and said "What's up" to some random people and they called the police just because of that.

Something similar happened to me. I was driving on the road that follows Zancudo River, and I stopped next to a hiker because he wouldn't move from the road. I beeped at him, and then he took his cellphone out, and called the police. The cops were all around in less than 20 seconds.

Jaydin85
  • Jaydin85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

I agree too that they aren't too difficult but too aggressive. I also don't like how they know wherever I am even when there isn't a helicopter and I'm miles away. Which btw, I think is b.s. that the helicopter comes out at just 3 stars. I also agree it  takes way too long for the warrant levels to go away.  

JMan2
  • JMan2

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think they're okay personally. Outrunning them is difficult, but actually escaping them? If you're able to find a secluded place and have a little bit of patience then it's really not that difficult. Plus, with regenerating health, you can last a lot longer against them in previous GTA games where it was just a matter of time before they would wear you down.

What does annoy me though is how easy it can be to get the cops on you. It's ridiculous how badmouthing a ped for example can end up getting the cops on you.

gepetto420
  • gepetto420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

i think they did tone down the police a little since the last patch.  im noticing 4 stars is not as hard as it used to be.  used to be w/ 4 stars you'd have swat guys in that suburban up your ass in an instant.  now it takes those swat guys some time to get out there, and they are a little less agressive i think.

Costar
  • Costar

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Anyone else think so???? Yeah I'm sure I'm going to get a sh*t load of comments saying "No, the police are fine you're just terrible at the game" but seriously, no I'm not. I can survive for quite a long time while battling the police. The game is so amazing but whenever I want to just have a bit of fun the police just step in and put me down hard.......

Yep it def sucks when you get at least 3 stars and the helis are on you. When I first got the game, I went exploring and ended up around a small airport. I was on a 4-wheeler I found out by the river, I thought it was ok to drive in to the airport, nope, they were all over me, cop cars out of nowhere, helis shooting the crap out of me, no escape out there.

BUT the *hide* function works at least better than the old "x-size circle" in IV. I've escaped many times robbing stores etc w/ this new system. The length of time those stars are present gets annoying tho, seems like its never going to go away. I dont think its right either that a cop chasing another vehicle and they're both being wreckless, if the cop collides w/ me, I become wanted... Happened once so far.

The AI is still not dumbed down enough tho, a cop xx miles away is NOT going to know I went down this paved street, down around another, off-road and down to the beach, I've seen some cops mysteriously appear to know where I went, never having seen me. I'm not going for that "some peds proly seen you and said - he went that way", dont think so, in RL yea, not in this game.

I was surprised by how accurate and lethal cops/gangs are now w/ their shooting, very diff from IV.

• Grand Cannon likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

Commie Johnny

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

gta 5's police is too hard? more like gta 4's police is too easy

Pelican
  • Pelican

The one who knocks

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

It can get a little bit ridiculous when the game randomly spawns police on you. Worst yet when a chopper spawns right near you when you're hiding from the ground police. Them being able to zone in on you is a pain in the neck as well. 

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

As ancient astronaut theorists predicted.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Here's my brutal police story:

So I decided to go and do one of Trevor's rampage mission. This is the one in east los santos, near the liquor store. Trevor is driving up to the spot when all of a sudden one of those random events police chases happens behind him. Pull the truck to a stop close to the marker and wait for the chase to pass by. I figured the rampage would be hard with the police after me.

When I pull to a stop the chase whizzes past me. However one of the beaners gets scared and starts to run. He runs RIGHT INTO Trevor's truck. The LSPD car comes to a complete stop. Two dudes jump out and start shooting. I do the only reasonable thing that came to mind, shoot back. 3 stars and a 5 minute chase later Trevor ends up in a dead-end ally dueling it out with Los Santos's less-than finest. Needless to say it was a frustrating end.

Sometimes its a blast dodging the police, other times its unbelievably redonkulious.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

Crashing a plane while invincible generates a three star wanted level even with no one around and sometimes while on a mountain.

I mean, crashing a plane isn't the most stealthy activity in the world, but I don't think the cops pick off plane crash survivors in real life.

Then there's the fact that sometimes hitting a pedestrian instantly generates a wanted level, and sometimes it takes 3.

I don't know, you'd think people would AT LEAST have to call it in first, but apparently you have some kind of hyper-magical crime detecting bat computer ankle bracelet attached that can detect crimes you commit, even high in the mountains and even when nobody has managed to get a call through.

COPS SHOULD NOT BE PSYCHIC.

Oh, and I do actually have problems evading them because I'm not the type to hide in a bush. I like to stick with cars I take. Needless to say, when cops keep spawning on the street you're driving down even when you're nowhere near the area where the crime was committed and when choppers can spawn on your ass even when you're in a plane, evading the cops becomes way more needlessly difficult than it needs to be. The worst part is the cops still suck at chasing, so they're not even actually keeping up with me and providing a challenge. Instead they're just cheating. And since they suck at chasing, the wanted level pretty much goes to two stars every time. Even when they've lost sight of you, the level will go up to two stars. Just because.

So yeah, it's difficult, but for all the wrong reasons. The cops are still morons, they just cheat like hell now so they can win.

tonydubz
  • tonydubz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:04 AM Edited by tonydubz, 15 October 2013 - 11:11 AM.

I havent read this whole thread but, my 2 pennies....I have had less trouble from the cops in this game than any previous gta.  In IV I would barely tap a cop car driving by and theyd be onmy ass, or steal a car in the vicinity of a cop and here they come.  But so far ive sideswiped a few cops and stole hundreds of cars, not once has anyone called the cops, at least I never got a wanted level. Anytime I have been chased I just drive until the map stops flashing like when they can see you,  then keep an eye on the map and avoid the sight cones until I find a garage or the train tunnels, an alley works if no helicopters. Sit and wait and as long as they didnt see you enter the garage or alley, you'll be done with them. It rarely takes me more than 2-4 mins to lose the cops from the start of the chase til the end. More stars means longer wait times when hiding but its no big inconvenience

And my fave is the train tunnels because they dont even bother coming in after you, even if they see you go in. Im just a casual gamer and not particularly skilled at many so if anyone should be struggling with this it would be me.

Edit....im posting with my tab and its giving me issues in the text input boxes here so thats why my posts arent formatted too well.

Costar
  • Costar

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yea Tony that was annoying in IV BUT that is actually pretty realistic, if in RL you tap a cops bumper or steal a car, breaking glass or whatever, they're gonna see or hear. But some of this stuff, like being in the middle of a desert area, shoot a security guard w/ a suppressed weapon and you get wanted?! I mean he hasnt had time to radio-in the situation, I was like, who *called* the cops, the dog?! xD

I was able to use a train tunnel tho like you say, I had 2 stars and man they were freaking insane in this chase, just slamming my car, shooting me, tearing it up, I finally stopped & shot the one pursuing me, I figured at least I'd get that sucker, then I got 3 stars & helis showed up, but I was just close enough to one of those tunnels, got in, cops circled, it finally went into *search* mode and eventually they left, my car almost on fire.

In IV the cop cars probably would've appeared inside the tunnel w/ me tho.
I also had happen last night, what another did, I just pulled up to these punks @ a store, honked the horn a couple times, that jerk called the cops & they started shootin.. I guess calling cops over honking a horn twice @ someone in close proximity is typical of today's society, "dont offend me in any way or I call the cops / I sue you."

I came back later & took care of them <- that is proly becoming more typical today too.

tsdy
  • tsdy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

I love when the cops shoot at me because I accidentally auto-aim at store clerks

Readthisifurghey
  • Readthisifurghey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM Edited by Readthisifurghey, 15 October 2013 - 02:32 PM.

The new cop system was a good idea overall, however, there are two major annoyances.

1. Once I have already "lost" the cops, the stars remain flashing for far too long. This doesn't make the game more difficult, just more boring as you wait for forever for the wanted level to decrease.

2. There is one person around, you are on the top of a mountain, and you kill the person with a silenced pistol. 3 seconds later, cop cars magically appear on the top of the mountain. Why even have silenced pistols in the game? Why not just have cop cars always be in the clouds watching you, and fall out of the sky on top of you when you commit a crime?

Again, these annoyances do not make the game difficult, just annoying.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM Edited by S1N0D3UTSCHT3K, 15 October 2013 - 03:48 PM.

I can very often kill in the middle of nowhere without getting stars... you really gotta check if anyone around.

Sometimes it feels like the Silencer is useless outside of stealth/line of sight.

Oh, and I blew up a car without getting any stars finally! Seriously, down by Vespucci beach at like 5Am with no one around. Shot out the gas tank of a SUV that I stole to get rid of evidence, and then shot the fuel from a new stolen Corquette while starting to drive off, and no stars.

But I still usually get stars if I'm off in the desert and I at least SEEM alone :/

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:26 PM Edited by McGyver55, 15 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

A bit too annoying at times...

• I don't like the "no safe house- run till you escape" thing... especially when I've escaped in a helicopter and I'm out in the sea and a new police helicopter spawns right in front of me... happens fairly consistently.

• Chasing someone else and they clip my car (while driving in a "legal manner"), so they stop chasing the other guy and start shooting at me, so I run- so I get a two star wanted level, so they run over one of their own who gets out to shoot at me, so now I have a three star wanted level... F**k man, I was just minding my own business trying to get home an save a new car... 

• Some gang members jump you, so you shoot back... but when the cops arrive YOU are the only one they shoot at... just you... only you... this has been one of the most annoying traits since GTA III...

• Still a lot of random spawning and spawning right behind you.

• The ability of an ordinary cruiser to sometimes catch up to a supercar.

• The feeding frenzy behavior that occasionally occurs...

Yeah, they can be a buzzkill... in some aspects they have improved, but in others they are more annoying then ever.

I really hate the no safe house crap.

• Grand Cannon and Yokairaizen like this

bubbaloo
  • bubbaloo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I find the most annoying thing is that when you only PUNCH someone the cops are after you, starting with a one star and almost always turning into at least a 2 star.  For a frigging PUNCH.

juls_nice
  • juls_nice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

I only read the 1st few pages of replies so my apologies.

1. We need to stop with the ovrarching generalizations based off of personal gameplay experiences. Saying stuff like "no the police aren't tough, you just suck" or "police are easy because I barely get chased when I sideswipe a police car"...statements like that don't mean much because this is the KING of open world games and you get a slew of WIDELY VARRYING RESULTS no matter what you or any other player does. You can do the same things 20 times in a row and you'll get 20 different results most of the time. Sometimes they're a breeze to deal with, sometimes they seem way too hard. It's GTA, and that's the beauty of the game.

2. With that being said, I think one thing we can all agree on is that the AI for the police (and enemies in general) needs to be improved/evolved. It needs to be more than just

player gets star(s) => hordes of cops try to ram/shoot player as best they can

The GTA games have evolved in many ways but the Police AI has remained relatively the same, going all the way back to the 2D GTA games. In fact, one can argue that they have devolved over the years. Back in the days you could get the army to come after you with 6 stars, hell Vice City even featured the undercover police in the sports cars that would come after you once you hit like 4-5 stars (damn I really miss that). On the flip side, in Vice City 1 star would = a couple officers chasing you on foot with night sticks. The different wanted levels actually MEANT SOMETHING. Not so much in this game tho; no matter what you do you only get Police/FIB cars/trucks/helis coming after you with intent to kill (YES I know you can get arrested, but that rarely happens because they usually kill you first). Needless to say the AI could be improved a great deal:

-The game introduced tear gas....why not have the police try to barricade you and throw tear gas? (BTW how could they NOT include gas masks in this game? makes no sense)

-The game introduced dogs...why not have them use police K-9s on you?? That would've been so much fun...

-The game introduced stun guns, yet no police officer or security guard ever use them; you get 1 star and the guns come out.

-It's disappointing to see highway patrol on the lookout yet they don't even react to you speeding. How about making them give you 1 star for speeding, and maybe ake it so that you can purchase trackers for your main cars? Well, that requires better AI...

-How about making the army, or even Merryweather agents attack too? Endless cops gets really boring, and considering that some acts the player commits are borderline terrorism I really don't see why this doesn't already occur.

-Why do police just drive straight into you even if you're in a tank? It's because the AI is simplistic

-Why do the police plow through regular NPCs without a care just to kill you? IT'S BECAUSE THE AI IS SIMPLISTIC

-Why introduce stealth elements if the game doesn't even follow it's own rules? I can shoot a lone officer from a rooftop 100yrds away with a sniper rifle w/ supressor attached, and I still get 2 stars instantly?? That ain't right.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see I've given this some considerable thought, and trust me this is coming from a GTA vet. I'm at 87+% completion lvl for the game and my stats vs police are pretty damn good. It's not that the police are too hard per se, it's just the AI is too simplistic. Given the police are the main ever-present "enemy" in each and every single GTA game, it should be more than just hordes of cops with impeccible aiming coming at you with little difference in intensity. The game would be immensely better if they improved both aspects; make the cops easier/smarter on lower wanted lvl, and give us more variety and different challenges with a higher wanted lvl.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

GTA should never have stars for speeding. The minute they do that is when I turn on it.

• Yokairaizen likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

There are many legitimate complaints about the wanted system and the police AI. I would like to add something else which adds to the inconsistent behaviour of the police. I have, as yet, been unable to obtain a single wanted star whenever one of the characters jacks a vehicle, whether it's in the city of Los Santos or in the countryside, desert or whatever. On the numerous occasions when I've encountered a random event of an NPC having been mugged, bicycle stolen etc and I have shot the perpetrator in the back numerous times in front of numerous witnesses (admittedly with a silenced weapon), not a single wanted star has ever been obtained. I have never seen police vehicles patrolling the streets, nor officers on foot. However, the moment one of the characters stands close to or punches a ped, a multitude of police cruisers converge on my location, seemingly as if they've materialised from the transporter of the USS Enterprise. The Police AI, spawning and wanted mechanics are worse than any other GTA on the series. The game was delayed by a year for "tweaking" and the mechanics are more broken than any other in the series. This is what we get after a year? Do me a favour!

• Grand Cannon, Kent_Paul_Jnr and Yokairaizen like this

el_roy1985
  • el_roy1985

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yesterday I became extremely annoyed at helicopters. I get rid of the two that are chasing me, only to have another one spawn close enough that it basically already has it's spotlight on me.

During one of my chases, I had three helis on me amd I watched them as they disappeared behind me. Almost immediately, a few more spawned within sight of me and the chase continued.

This needs to be fixed, as it just is not any fun when LS seems to have an unlimited amount of helis and they are almost always right where you are.

Much more annoying then police seemingly having psychic powers as to where you went and hid.

ishouldnthavekilledtrevor
  • ishouldnthavekilledtrevor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Is it just me or do the police never actually arrest you? This is the first GTA game where I've gotten to 75% and i haven't even been busted once, the police just shoot at me til I'm dead, they don't seem to bother arresting me.

tonydubz
  • tonydubz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, I havent been busted once by the cops. Ive only been killed by them a couple times, usually I end up doing something stupid and wasting myself trying to fight or get away.

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

<Truth>

I keep saying this, police lethality needs to correspond to how lethal YOU ,the player, are being. It's annoying that when you punch someone you get buckshot to the face. Why not use the tasers or nightsticks? When I saw those two weapons in Ammunation I thought the police would be using them.

Was disappointed. Same thing  with the tear gas.

djw676
  • djw676

Loves Pickles

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

I personally think the wanted system is fine, I'm just really annoyed by the fact there's no health upgrade of any sort so you can last longer against them.

I Agree, i also think though they shouldn't come after you for stupid things like looking at them.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

To the guys who have never been busted. ITS IN THE GAME BUT RARE IMO

I was busted on 4 stars - I was trapped between cars and they didn't shoot at me but and officer arrested me - and instead of wasted the "game over screen" it says "busted" instead of wasted ,  I lost all my ammo and my armour - has only happened once in over 60hrs game play.

I have seen Police with a parked up police car - talking to a drug user / suspect outside a café, unsure if its a fixed spawn like the preaches or a random event.

I have yet to see police patrol on foot but have seen one or two lone officers driving in crown vics in the city.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Do the police bikes ever spawn in chases  ? 

I have never seen one in my game , I haven't gone looking for spawns I mean just playing generally - do they chase and has anyone ever seen more than one ?

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Do the police bikes ever spawn in chases  ? 

I have never seen one in my game , I haven't gone looking for spawns I mean just playing generally - do they chase and has anyone ever seen more than one ?

Never ever seen a police bike, either in the city nor a CHiPs bike on any of the freeways,

Spoiler

Pelican
  • Pelican

The one who knocks

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

My latest tangle with Five-0: So, I managed to get away from the police, though I still had stars. I drove behind a building and, after a whole half minute, the cops pull up and go in to the same exact place I was. They literally zoned in on me. Look, if you're gonna do the whole hiding thing, don't make it so that they are going to spot you regardless of where you hide. I've had cops come up a ladder to find me on a roof for crying out loud. And that was the first time they did so in the whole game. 

juls_nice
  • juls_nice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

My latest tangle with Five-0: So, I managed to get away from the police, though I still had stars. I drove behind a building and, after a whole half minute, the cops pull up and go in to the same exact place I was. They literally zoned in on me. Look, if you're gonna do the whole hiding thing, don't make it so that they are going to spot you regardless of where you hide. I've had cops come up a ladder to find me on a roof for crying out loud. And that was the first time they did so in the whole game. 

YEP!! they do this A LOT!

If you have stars when you enter a garage you will have them again when you come out. I would walk out of Franklin's garage with an automatic 2 stars, then go up the ladder to hide on the roof. Lo and behold those f#ckers would come right up the ladder, right to the pillar I was hiding behind and confront me. Another time I was Franklin and was shooting the street from his back deck using the sniper rifle. Didn't even hit any cars but  got a star. I literally watched as the star remained for what seemed like over 5 minutes; saw the cop cars pull up to Franklin's house and enter the crib. Luckily I was still outside hiding behind a wall but I couls see it all happening through the window.

Like I said, the AI is simplistic, and broken in many ways. They hone in on you without any logic applied to it, but then you can do dumb stuff like run into bushes with your map still blinking red and hide from them (and the stars seem to go away faster too).

I hate when games don't follow their own logic....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users