Quantcast

» «
Photo

Discussion: GTA V Police (too easy, too hard, just right?)

1,678 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the Police AI in GTA V? (635 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the Police AI in GTA V?

1. Yes I love it! (176 votes [27.72%])

Percentage of vote: 27.72%

2. Don't really care, I just shoot them. (72 votes [11.34%])

Percentage of vote: 11.34%

3. No, it could be improved. (387 votes [60.94%])

Percentage of vote: 60.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote
markedman67
  • markedman67

Reg'lar Joe

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:10 AM Edited by markedman67, 10 October 2013 - 01:07 AM.

At first I was a little overwhelmed by the cops, but I figured it out, and now I can shake up to 5 stars pretty easy as long as I'm not on a mission timer.  It has the added advantage of leveling stealth, as well.  You see, the key is getting out of the car!

Heading offroad works out in the desert, but what if you don't want to leave LS, or drive halfway across the map from your intended destination?  Very simple.  Break line of sight with the cops, and then duck into a tight spot, preferably in an alley or tunnel.  Get out, turn on sneak, and take cover next to your car.  Watch the sight cones on the cops, and keep moving around the car to keep it between you and them when they are looking your way.  If you have more than two stars, you need overhead cover, as well, so you're better off looking for a doorway or scaffold, but the sneak/cover method still works.  Takes a little practice, and you have to be careful and ready to run for new cover if you get spotted.

Also, when hiding in a safehouse, it helps to actually hide, not just stand in an empty room.  In Michaels house, I run into the bathroom, let the door close and then take cover against it. That trick has worked 2 out of 3 times.  in Franklins house, I shook two stars taking cover outside on the lower deck level against the wall while the cops were in the house! 

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

They are definitely annoying. They coould be a block away when I look there way then be up to my bumper the next second when I look away. I cannot last long fighting as i did in IV. 3 shots your dead. They are really crazy at 2 stars too. They dont even try to apprehend you at 1 star. Just shoot!

GrieverXVII
  • GrieverXVII

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

At first I was a little overwhelmed by the cops, but I figured it out, and now I can shake up to 5 stars pretty easy as long as I'm not on a mission timer.  It has the added advantage of leveling stealth, as well.  You see, the key is getting out of the car!

Heading offroad works out in the desert, but what if you don't want to leave LS, or drive halfway across the map from your intended destination?  Very simple.  Break line of sight with the cops, and then duck into a tight spot, preferably in an alley or tunnel.  Get out, turn on sneak, and take cover next to your car.  Watch the sight cones on the cops, and keep moving around the car to keep it between you and them when they are looking your way.  If you have more than two stars, you need overhead cover, as well, so you're better off looking for a doorway or scaffold, but the sneak/cover method still works.  Takes a little practice, and you have to be careful and ready to run for new cover if you get spotted.

Also, when hiding in a safehouse, it helps to actually hide, not just stand in an empty room.  In Michaels house, I run into the bathroom, let the door close and then take cover against it. That trick has worked 2 out of 3 times.  in Franklins house, I shook two stars taking cover outside on the lower deck level against the wall while the cops were in the house! 

This is a good post, i dont think the cop chases are too bad. Although the random spawning and precise location your hiding is annoying, but what really kills this game for me is the shooting and accuracy of the enemies or cops. They are far too accurate with weapons that shouldnt be and from ridiculous ranges, driving max speed and i still get a couple bullets in me from a stray cop 20 meters away. I cant even come off of cover to bring my gun up and shoot without getting a few bullets in me

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

The main problem is the ridiculously low player health.  You very nearly die when you fall off a bicycle going 5 mph so no sh*t 3 bullets is gonna smoke ya, and you punch a NPC or barely bump their car and they die too, its totally f*cked.

Dяno
  • Dяno

dolan pls

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

I disagree with your opinion.

Ok so your telling everyone that you haven't raged at least one time from the cops, don't try to act badass because deep down you know you raged at least once

gangstakillagrove
  • gangstakillagrove

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

personally i don't mind it taking a while to get rid of them. in past games, the cops were very easy to get rid of. i remember lots of GTA IV moments where i was laughing at how easy it was. this is more challenging.

that said, it's a bit ridiculous when you've spent like 4 minutes to get away from them, maybe even more, then out of nowhere a cop car literally spawns 5 metres in front of you, out of nowhere.

definitely not a fan of the random spawning. i mean if they spawned on the edges of your map and not directly infront of you, or very close to you, it'd be far less frustrating.

mastabatrix
  • mastabatrix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:44 PM Edited by mastabatrix, 10 October 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Anyone else think so???? Yeah I'm sure I'm going to get a sh*t load of comments saying "No, the police are fine you're just terrible at the game" but seriously, no I'm not. I can survive for quite a long time while battling the police. The game is so amazing but whenever I want to just have a bit of fun the police just step in and put me down hard.

For example, I wanted to go to one of Trevor's strangers and freaks missions in the desert but I was in LS so I thought I'd break into the airport, steal a jumbo jet, fly it over to the desert then base jump out. But oh my GOD! An instant 3 star wanted level caused me to undergo a high speed chase across the airport until I found a jet I could actually enter. I got into the jet and was immediately surrounded by a sh*t load of police cars and 2 helicopters firing at me.

I tried to reverse out of the docking bay and onto the runway but the plane eventually stopped being able to reverse because the police were shooting at it so much. Unable to move anywhere in the plane I had to get out, and after less than 2 seconds of being outside the plane the overpowering police shot me dead. Yes it's very realistic, but I don't want ultra realistic police if it means I can't have a little bit of fun when I want to.

Not to mention how stupid it is that if you stand next to a cop for too long you automatically get a wanted level. It's ridiculous. No more silly rampages like on San Andreas. The Los Santos Fun Police are on your case...

Oh... And how on Earth would the police know that I've set my car on fire IN THE MIDDLE OF THE f*ckING DESERT WITH NO ONE ELSE AROUND?!

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. There's just a few things which really, really bug me...

Not sure what I've done here but heres my response below

wow there are alot of people responding to posts like this badly, Yeah bro the police are alot more intense in GTA V a simple bump into your car can be fatal they are ruthless, some hate it and some like it , if you can't handle the heat play safe, rest assured all those elitists responding unkindly at some point have been hands down wasted by these new police

I don't think I've had the chance of being busted take out a cop and they take you very seriously

tch2296
  • tch2296

Giant Siberian Priest Just Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

It's obvious cops and stealth are terribly broken, just hoping the GTA Online patch fixes these issues.

It's anything but obvious. The vast majority of people are very happy with the law enforcement system. The line of vision system is amazing and makes it possible to duck into stealthy little alcoves and do some quick driving to elude them.

The only complaint I have about the police is that on one star they shouldn't shoot you - taze only, and that even committing crimes in the wilderness gets u a wanted level immediately. Someone should need to see the crime and call it into police if you are in a remote area. I do wish they'd address that but all this about police being too hard is an absolute joke. It's a simple matter of upping your skills. I use free aim for gods sake and still sh*t all over the cops all day, every day, son.

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

I dont think the cops are too hard, just that they are nonsensical in that they always know a crime has been committed. Its seriously amateur, and needs to be addressed. 

For instance, I was driving around in free roam, and a motorcycle cop comes around me, bumps into ME, and i get a star. Then, i got 5 cops chasing me on a 1 star, down the freeway. 

The AI in this game is another amateur attempt by rockstar this time around. Everyone is angry, and if they start a fight with YOU< YOU get a star. 

WTF rockstar. Did you decide that you would just do the stupidest things in this installment, just for the sake of being stupid?

the realism in this game has been swept away by these two things. 

It needs to be fixed. They need to also concentrate on the single player aspect in patches too, instead of only updating issues in online. 

not everyone plays online. Get with the program Rockstar.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

personally i don't mind it taking a while to get rid of them. in past games, the cops were very easy to get rid of. i remember lots of GTA IV moments where i was laughing at how easy it was. this is more challenging.

that said, it's a bit ridiculous when you've spent like 4 minutes to get away from them, maybe even more, then out of nowhere a cop car literally spawns 5 metres in front of you, out of nowhere.

definitely not a fan of the random spawning. i mean if they spawned on the edges of your map and not directly infront of you, or very close to you, it'd be far less frustrating.

Its not a challenge at all, its super easy, it just takes forever so its boring.  Go stand in a bush and wait 5 minutes, really f*cking challenging.  its a game, i wanna spend my time playing it, not standing in a f*cking bush buddy!

edgy.
  • edgy.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well I honestly think its not the cops its the amount of health you have. I mean there Is an invincibility cheat but its not unlimited.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Well I honestly think its not the cops its the amount of health you have. I mean there Is an invincibility cheat but its not unlimited.

that is a major part of the problem for sure, however playing online they give you health bonuses, i unlocked a bar of health at lvl 20, so presumably when you are level 100 you will have normal health, lol! lame

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

It's piss easy to lose them, just head for the mountains they dont even follow you, if you see a chopper then just shoot it down or try to out run them, I've never died or got busted yet

Waingro
  • Waingro

He was reaching for a gun.

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I do have a problem with the psychic-level of police knowing you did something bad when there's no one around. People bury bodies in the desert for a reason.

Justin80
  • Justin80

Genius

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yes, the police are too sensitive.

In the middle of the desert, using a gun with a suppressor or using a bat to attack an object, for example, get the popo on your ass. That's not right.

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

They are definitely annoying. They coould be a block away when I look there way then be up to my bumper the next second when I look away. I cannot last long fighting as i did in IV. 3 shots your dead. They are really crazy at 2 stars too. They dont even try to apprehend you at 1 star. Just shoot!

I kind of wish police lethality depended on how lethal your character was being. If you are just punching the sh*t out of people police should use tasers and or nightsticks in order to apprehend you instead of unloading buckshot into your face.

If they see you wielding/using a firearm then by all means, Come at me bro.

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

You're being attacked by Madrazo's goons

COPS: meh.

when you fight back, 2 stars! dafuq?

bubbaloo
  • bubbaloo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

The thing that pisses me off is even if you just punch someone on a deserted street at night, the cops are on your ass right away.

I mean... no shots fired... just one frigging punch and I end up getting wasted for it ???

It really takes some of the fun out of trying to have fun IMO

masterofchaos23
  • masterofchaos23

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

the police are stupid especially in online... your driving by a guy who has 20 cops on him, one of the cops happen to nail you while driving by and you get a f*cking wanted level...

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

You're just bad at the game.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

Nah, just awfully generic and about as advanced as a potato. I can't fathom why a game that primarily revolves around being pursuit by Law Enforcement has such a faulty/bad, take your pick, police system. I mean is it that hard to make a system where the cop' actions in the game are consistent with those of real life LE? 

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

Nah, just awfully generic and about as advanced as a potato. I can't fathom why a game that primarily revolves around being pursuit by Law Enforcement has such a faulty/bad, take your pick, police system. I mean is it that hard to make a system where the cop' actions in the game are consistent with those of real life LE? 

It is on a old outdated console with slow hardware, thats really whats causing them tons of issues with this game.  thats why they had to make them spawn in the first place instead of roaming around like in gta4,  there is simply too much processor demand in gta 5.   They could probably make a decent effort in a PC version of the game, but then nowhere near as many people would be able to play it. Granted I think they will be able to tweak this ai to make it somewhat better, but look around, they have a billion things to fix, what do they fix first? lol!  I think we just have to be a little patient.  They shouldve waited another year before releasing this game and just put it on the ps4 but they started on it so long ago Im not sure if it would be possible to just port it over or if they would have to start from scratch to make it better with the better hardware for ps4 and obviously when they started making this game they didnt know about it, so im guess a lot of starting over would be involved.

williamp556
  • williamp556

Grandmaster

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

I agree, the police are complete knobs. With armor, you still get gunned down within 3 minutes except if you use Trevor's special ability. Even if you think you've got the hang of it you, you don't. These idiots keep killing you. I e-mailed Rockstar about this because compared to other games, the police difficulty is just unacceptable imo.

Completely agree with this. It gets boring after a while because it's near impossible to have a gun toting rampage like you should be able to in a GTA game.

If you want to enter the airport unwanted just buy the Hanger then you can come and go as much as you please but only with the character you bought it with.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

Police A.I in this game ain't that great it's on the verge of terrible. They get outrun very easily and once you out of line of sight any alleyway becomes your invincible impenetrable fortress.

That's if you smart enough to not hang out poking on the edge of the corner of course.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

For me,the police are not too difficult when fighting them on foot. I am able to survive 5 stars for a really long time.  I don't stay in one place, I run around the place.All I need is trevor, his special ability and a grenade launcher( to use when running about and a cop car randomly spawns near me). The hard part is getting away from the cops.

The cops are hard when you are in a car.

I love the wanted system overall. It's the best it has ever been.

Lord_Ant_Warrior
  • Lord_Ant_Warrior

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:06 PM Edited by Lord_Ant_Warrior, 11 October 2013 - 02:08 PM.

Anybody who thinks thier AI isn't an improvement over IV needs to re-evaluate. I understand that you get wanted for the slightest things now, but for God's sake the cops on IV were ridiculously easy to escape. That game utterly ruined Police chases for me, it's a 100% fact that you can outrun them in a van. Try it yourself. Then on higher levels they all shoot from thier cars and destroy yours instantly. Contradictory? Well no, because it means that there is absolutely no middle ground regarding difficulty. Honestly, the biggest thing that excites me about this game is the Cop system, and the epic chases I'm going to have in the future. It just feels as if there is actually something to run from, which hasn't been the case since San Andreas (seems like yesterday but it was 2004!). By all means, patch the AI so you can escape a little easier in the desert or on rough terrain, or even so you don't get wanted for the slightest little thing like looking in someone's direction. But beyond that, the fact that they're programmed to actually ram you properly is amazing, adds so much dynamism to the chases. And being wanted for entering the airport has been in since San Andreas, maybe even longer. They chase you at the San Fierro one if I'm not mistaken. And let's weigh up the gun combat: You have a Minigun, Regenerating health, a cover system (including super accurate blindfire!)  Bulletproof cars AND tyres; sticky bombs, a grenade launcher... PLUS the Rhino, the Hydra and Hunter (Black Hawk Anihilator). Then we factor in two characters with "Bullet Time" abilities, and I'd say they needed to increase AI aggressiveness to keep a balance IMO.

Still, the OP has a point. It doesn't help that assholes reply making the points I'm making but with petulance. Both sides need to speak civilly.

Anyway, a dumbing down of Police AI would be a big mistake IMO, for the sake of balance.

bubbaloo
  • bubbaloo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any cops... during a mission, for sure they have to be there. All I'm saying is that when I'm just exploring I should have an easier time. If I'm trying to get money it should be easier if I just punch someone. If I use a gun to do this... by all means... bring on the cops. But lay off just a bit if there's no sounds when I'm mugging someone on a quiet street.

gepetto420
  • gepetto420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:55 PM Edited by gepetto420, 11 October 2013 - 07:56 PM.

cops wont follow you into tunnels.  thats a quick way to lose any amount of stars.  i like challenging myself though and trying to escape in the city proper just by driviing around without using Franklins special.  havent been able to ditch 5 starts that way yet.  for those of you who say 4-5 stars is easy to escape this way is full of sh*t.

ASAPRocky
  • ASAPRocky

Lord Flacko

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I would be fine with the police if I didn't have to lose $5000 every f*cking time I die.

DildoDodo
  • DildoDodo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by DildoDodo, 11 October 2013 - 11:45 PM.

The actual AI of the police is better than ever. The whole idea of using stealth to get away from them is great. Mechanics-wise, all the ingredients are there. Police chases are really enjoyable, but they are too frequent. There's just a few numbers that need tweaking, eg. make their cars a little slower, reduce their response rate/detection of crime in the desert or countryside and reduce their firing accuracy, especially when they are doing drive-bys. I wouldn't mind if they were made even more challenging in other ways, the problem right now is that they feel like aimbots and not actual humans because they are so overpowered and it breaks realism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users