Stand Up Comedy

17 replies to this topic
johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I posted here a while ago that I was going to try stand up comedy. Well its now one week to go before I go up on stage and perform 5 minutes of stand up material. Needless to say I am starting to get the jitters, even a week before! 

I'm normally very quiet person not used to criticism or insults so why i've decided to humiliate myself and get on stage and open myself up is totally crazy. All I know is that its on my bucket list and theres no way I am backing out now. I've quit too many things in life already.

I would show you guys some of my jokes but I fear you wont find them funny on the internet. I've learnt written jokes on the page wont have the full impact as opposed to hearing the joke told live. What do you guys think about this?

Stand up seems like it would be a lot of fun, humiliation, embarrassment and fear rolled into one. Can't wait. :beerhat:

• djv3n0m likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well you have been a member of this forum for over 4 years, so that should be enough preparation to absorb any possible insults and people telling you to die.

• Finn 7 five 11 and Shah Sam like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I remember I thought about joining my school's stand-up comedy club, so I showed up one day during my lunch period for a meeting. When I found out that all my jokes had to be polite and considerate, I promptly left.

• Shah Sam likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:26 PM Edited by lil weasel, 29 September 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Polite and considerate...  Well, if you can deliver P&C and still get laughs that would be great.

Anybody can get a laugh by just saying <>, <>, <>, or <> on stage now a days.

Many, especially college kids will laugh at <> just because it's taboo, not because it's funny. And if it keeps up it won't be funny anymore because it will be an accepted (instead of excepted) part of the language.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

Polite and considerate...  Well, if you can deliver P&C and still get laughs that would be great.

Anybody can get a laugh by just saying <>, <>, <>, or <> on stage now a days.

Many, especially college kids will laugh at <> just because it's taboo, not because it's funny. And if it keeps up it won't be funny anymore because it will be an accepted (instead of excepted) part of the language.

Kinda reminds me of that Keith Lemon motherf*cker.

This c*nt:

keith_lemon_0.png

Tosser has the comedic value of a 'starving-to-death Ethiopian child' advert.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'm normally very quiet person not used to criticism or insults so why i've decided to humiliate myself and get on stage and open myself up is totally crazy. All I know is that its on my bucket list and theres no way I am backing out now. I've quit too many things in life already.

This is a good passage, keep that attitude to life and you'll be fine.

Break a leg man, I wish you the best. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

good luck.

you're gonna need it.

take the stage as early as possible.

the longer you wait, the more drunk the crowd is. the more drunk the crowd is, the more merciless and unforgiving they will be.

Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like a fun opportunity! I always appreciate a nice comedian. (Kevin hart is the funniest IMO). I say knock yourself out, Its a privledge (first time spelling that word) Maybe one day you can get so funny that they request you go into comedy films, now thats the fun part

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well guys I did it and it was great!

I was so nervous before going up but there was no way I was running off. I would have felt worse knowing I quit than if I went up and failed catastrophically. Well I did fail I was faced with mostly awkward silence and polite giggles. No one heckled me surprisingly even though my jokes weren't working all that well, it was a very nice crowd considering it was late night at a bar. Maybe because its a jazz club and jazz attracts classy people?

Either way afterwards the promoter came up and said I came across as "endearing" to everyone and even invited me to try again. Which I said yea sure. So I am trying out some more material however I chose some of my very tame material because I wasnt sure what I could say up there now I am going all out next time will bring out more personal/racial stuff. The barman who got me the slot said that I could say anything as long as its in 'good taste'. So I have more to give.

Guys all I can say is for all the imagining I have done for month and months in my bed, the shower and in front of the mirror confidently even arrogantly sure that I would enjoy standing up there and telling jokes just like my fave comedians, I can say it met my expectations and maybe even more. Yeah no one laughed genuinely just polite giggles

but I enjoyed it regardless. 

Will be doing it again!

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Congratulations mate, everyone has to start somewhere. Well done.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Awesome Johnny! Good for you! Did you happen to film it? Would love to see.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:35 PM Edited by lil weasel, 08 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

You've got me wondering. You never sat through a night to see what the others were saying regarding limits?

What is your schtick:

1. Personal observation
  2. Personal life
  3. Family life
  4. Relatives
  5. Work place
  6. News items
  7. Sexual activity
  8. Other?

You want inclusion of taboo language to force a cheap laugh because your stuff isn't really amusing?

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:25 PM Edited by johnny_zoo, 08 October 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Awesome Johnny! Good for you! Did you happen to film it? Would love to see.

No I didn't film it. I did however record the audio as a voice memo on my iphone. I just pressed record and slipped it in my back pocket. Been two days and I haven't listened to it yet still trying to work up the courage. :lol:

You've got me wondering. You never sat through a night to see what the others were saying regarding limits?

What is your schtick:

1. Personal observation
  2. Personal life
  3. Family life
  4. Relatives
  5. Work place
  6. News items
  7. Sexual activity
  8. Other?

You want inclusion of taboo language to force a cheap laugh because your stuff isn't really amusing?

No absolutely not.

One of the rules I've set myself before foraying in the world of stand up was that I was not going to use cursing to get cheap laughs. My goal is to want to take material thats not funny of itself and make it funny. I went to an open mic night in my local town a few sundays ago and all the amateaur guys were cursing left right and centre for cheap laughs it was extremely annoying. The worse thing is that it was getting laughs.

Well I've only just started so I don't know my shtick yet. But I've wrote(and plan to write) jokes around these topics:

1. Personal life

2. Work/unemployment

3. Foreign affairs

4. Women

5. News items

6. Race

7. Social issues (drugs medicine)

As for the bar it mostly a jazz club and they don't mix comedy with music much anymore because it didn't really 'mix' according to the promoter but they let me go up since they are open to trying new things. I couldnt assess what the 'limits' were because there were no other comedy acts just acoustic singers.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Niko Bellic's first comment in this thread is comedy gold by the way.

That's actually amazing, now I feel like trying stand up, I remember when I was younger I did little skits in front of my friends, but I never really pursued it. Personally I don't feel I quite havE the right voice for it.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

Just because people weren't laughing it doesn't mean they didn't find it funny. That's great that you did it though, takes real guts to try something like that.

Do you think you could sample some of the jokes you told, here? I mean we're no jazz bar, but most of us should get a knock knock joke.  

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:00 AM Edited by Shyabang Shyabang, 09 October 2013 - 05:00 AM.

I would show you guys some of my jokes but I fear you wont find them funny on the internet. I've learnt written jokes on the page wont have the full impact as opposed to hearing the joke told live. What do you guys think about this?

It's better to fail anonymously on the internet than fail on front of a large crowd. Next time, post your jokes on youtube and show us the link. We'll give you our honest opinions that might show you which jokes to fix or leave out.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Try to hit up as many open mics as you can to try and hone your material. Throw everything out there and see what sticks. Not everything will hit, but you'll get a good idea of what does, and you'll get more comfortable doing it. Good job getting out and doing it, man!

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Just because people weren't laughing it doesn't mean they didn't find it funny. That's great that you did it though, takes real guts to try something like that.

Do you think you could sample some of the jokes you told, here? I mean we're no jazz bar, but most of us should get a knock knock joke.  

Nah because there are terrible. Besides it would have no impact on you without the body language inflection etc.

It's better to fail anonymously on the internet than fail on front of a large crowd. Next time, post your jokes on youtube and show us the link. We'll give you our honest opinions that might show you which jokes to fix or leave out.

Yes I think Ill do that. Give me a week or so and I will write some jokes up and post it to YouTube. 

Ill put the link here and the gtaforums can give me some constructive criticism or tell me to commit suicide whichever works for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users