Photo

Purpose of suppressors?

69 replies to this topic
Ibunshi
  • Ibunshi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

about witnesses.. often they will say something like "im calling the cops" and they will pick up their phones and call... you can take them out before they make the call and avoid a star that way... as for stealth, it is certainly not working properly, it feels broken and more or less useless... you have this big detailed world to roam in, and so many places that invites to some nice stealthy action.. but then yiu attempt to be stealtjhy and you magically get stars more often than what is reasonable when having access to suppressors and 'stealth mode'

the thing is, with some changes that makes the stealth work, along with perhaps some good places and reasons to put it to use in the game world.. like, perhaps you can place a safe in certain locations.. say some warehouse down at the docks, make it restricted at night and have some guards walk around.. you'll havge to sneak around to get to the safe.. you can do it undetected, or you can take the guards out.. taking out guards without being seen helps you avoid a star.. if you are seen, you will get a star unless you are quick enough to take out whoever will set of an alarm.. and  then you may have to be fast and rudn and hide somewhere...

this would work if just the stealth parts were fixed.. the way the AI works when cops searches for you is alright as it is, as you can hide close by as long as they dont see you.. i have had some pretty fun cat and mouse play this way, jumping over fences, up some ladder, and so on.. you can see the direction they look at on your radar, and so it is fairly easy to avoid then if there are bulidings around

but as it is now, it truly seem like hit and miss and you end up having to escape the cops because they magically knew you committed a crime.. its usually easy to escape because it takes some time for them to arrive, and you can find a good hiding spot near by in the meantime... but it completely kills the immersion when wanting to be stealthy.. making it seem pointless and as if only for show.

and you got a set up that could rival games that are purely based on stealth.. because the level of detail, and and places to hide or sneak around is just awesome.. it would offer a massive amount of fun

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

about witnesses.. often they will say something like "im calling the cops" and they will pick up their phones and call... you can take them out before they make the call and avoid a star that way... as for stealth, it is certainly not working properly, it feels broken and more or less useless... you have this big detailed world to roam in, and so many places that invites to some nice stealthy action.. but then yiu attempt to be stealtjhy and you magically get stars more often than what is reasonable when having access to suppressors and 'stealth mode'

the thing is, with some changes that makes the stealth work, along with perhaps some good places and reasons to put it to use in the game world.. like, perhaps you can place a safe in certain locations.. say some warehouse down at the docks, make it restricted at night and have some guards walk around.. you'll havge to sneak around to get to the safe.. you can do it undetected, or you can take the guards out.. taking out guards without being seen helps you avoid a star.. if you are seen, you will get a star unless you are quick enough to take out whoever will set of an alarm.. and  then you may have to be fast and rudn and hide somewhere...

this would work if just the stealth parts were fixed.. the way the AI works when cops searches for you is alright as it is, as you can hide close by as long as they dont see you.. i have had some pretty fun cat and mouse play this way, jumping over fences, up some ladder, and so on.. you can see the direction they look at on your radar, and so it is fairly easy to avoid then if there are bulidings around

but as it is now, it truly seem like hit and miss and you end up having to escape the cops because they magically knew you committed a crime.. its usually easy to escape because it takes some time for them to arrive, and you can find a good hiding spot near by in the meantime... but it completely kills the immersion when wanting to be stealthy.. making it seem pointless and as if only for show.

and you got a set up that could rival games that are purely based on stealth.. because the level of detail, and and places to hide or sneak around is just awesome.. it would offer a massive amount of fun

I agree that stealth needs a better purpose because as-is, it's pretty much useless. There is at least one Trevor mission where I thought it was really cool, but that seems to be the only case where it works as intended.

I have had the exact opposite experience using it in free-roam. You seem to make just as much noise, even though on the radar, it appears you are being quiet.

As far as hiding from the police, again, it's never worked for me. 9/10 I get wasted by the police because I can't successfully shake them. I've hid in a tiny alleyway only open on one side into a parking lot while police have roamed the street and because the alley was within their cone of detection, I get found, even though I was completely out of sight behind a building. *shrug* I've just learned to live with it, but it definitely seems a bit bugged.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:19 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 06 October 2013 - 07:20 PM.

The last mission in GTA V

Spoiler

Other than that I agree that it does seem to be random otherwise in free roam.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Spoiler

Another good example. So missions, it definitely seems to work, but like you said, hit or miss in free roam.

Off-topic. That spoiler tag totally does not work in email notifications of replies. It had the entire contents of your post in plain text. If I wasn't spoiled already on that mission, I would have been now. Not your fault, of course, just venting because there should be a way to fix that.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 06 October 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Another good example. So missions, it definitely seems to work, but like you said, hit or miss in free roam.

Off-topic. That spoiler tag totally does not work in email notifications of replies. It had the entire contents of your post in plain text. If I wasn't spoiled already on that mission, I would have been now. Not your fault, of course, just venting because there should be a way to fix that.

Ahh damn really? I'll bring that up in the suggestion/fix thread.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ahh damn really? I'll bring that up in the suggestion/fix thread.

Yup. Again, not your fault. In the email notification, it displays the reply in plain text, so the spoiler tag is completely ignored. Oh well. Again, not your fault, but yea, posting in the suggestion thread would be great.

Blackveiled
  • Blackveiled

Medic

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

I don't understand why you guys are under the impression a suppressor means nobody hears anything, lol. A suppressor doesn't mean people won't hear or see stuff, maybe it works as intended. We won't know til Rockstar makes a comment about it.

BTW in real life a suppressed weapon still makes quite a bit of sound, lol.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

I don't understand why you guys are under the impression a suppressor means nobody hears anything, lol. A suppressor doesn't mean people won't hear or see stuff, maybe it works as intended. We won't know til Rockstar makes a comment about it.

BTW in real life a suppressed weapon still makes quite a bit of sound, lol.

It's not so much that we think a suppressor means nobody hears anything and more a matter of in free roam, it doesn't seem like it makes a difference if you use it or not.

Ibunshi
  • Ibunshi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

yeah, using a suppressor doesnt mean no oen can hear it, but that is not the problem.. the problem is getting detected even when there is no one around..

could it be that sercurity cameras are actually put to use?

i seriously doubt it.... but, it would be pretty cool if that was the case, and you could disable it with a shot.. i have noticed there are cameras set up in a lot of places, and it is not something you may normally think about, or expect in a game like this, and so killing someone where there is a camera close, would have you think "cops magically know you commited a crime"

but yeah, wishful thinking, lol.

Ibunshi
  • Ibunshi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

...oh, and the other day, i was in stealth mode, and at the car impound.. i was in sneak mode and i used the knife for a stealth takedown on a cop... i had waited until cars had passed and i saw no one else around.. so i did the takedown, and at first there was no star.. and when i thought i had managed to actually take out a cop without getting a star.. the star came.. it was this strange delay on it..

also, i have managed to stealth kill a cop once without gettign stars, but i reckon it was a glitch has it has only happened once.. it was right after having waited out a star, hiding in the water under a bridge down at the docks... when the cops had left, there was a lingering one that got out of his car, no one else around, so i did the takedown and nothing happened... that is exatly how it should work!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users