Purpose of suppressors?

69 replies to this topic
GTA_REEFER
  • GTA_REEFER

Eye in the sky

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Think it's why it's called a supressor and not a silencer. Not trying to be a smartass. I think COD and many other games give people the wrong idea. they always make them completely undetectable even written youre just around the corner. I don't think they even really make "silencers".

Chuck Norris *
  • Chuck Norris *

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think they look and sound badass! We have to just wait for a fix in the whole "stealth" thing in general. The game will be a lot more when they fix the police and the stealth.

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Think it's why it's called a supressor and not a silencer. Not trying to be a smartass. I think COD and many other games give people the wrong idea. they always make them completely undetectable even written youre just around the corner. I don't think they even really make "silencers".

I don't know where you're coming from with this post. A sound suppressor is self explanatory. And they're supposed to have a drastic effect otherwise nobody would bother with them if shooting some with 1 lead to the same outcome as without 1. It's really that simple. Not being funny with you. Just saying.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:35 AM Edited by HitPoint, 29 September 2013 - 08:36 AM.

I highly doubt Rockstar would miss a bug that huge that involves a popular gun modification called the Suppressor. If they wanted you to be able to cap people out in the desert/mountains without gaining wanted stars, they would have. I'm positive that it's just a design decision, and makes sense too even though it's frustrating as hell.

• Jetpack5000 likes this

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I don't know where you're coming from with this post. A sound suppressor is self explanatory. And they're supposed to have a drastic effect otherwise nobody would bother with them if shooting some with 1 lead to the same outcome as without 1. It's really that simple. Not being funny with you. Just saying.

^This. A silencer is a suppressor. Technically silencer is a Hollywood term for a suppressor. It's meant to minimize muzzle flash/noise. In other words, if you kill a hooker in an empty alleyway with a suppressor on a pistol, no one should know about it. Some countries have even made them legal for game hunting so the neighbors don't hear gun crackling all day when they have to cull an animal population.

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I highly doubt Rockstar would miss a bug that huge that involves a popular gun modification called the Suppressor. If they wanted you to be able to cap people out in the desert/mountains without gaining wanted levels, they would have. I'm positive that it's just a design decision, and makes sense too even though it's frustrating as hell.

Could you maybe explain how it makes sense? Not being an ass I'm just really curious to how that makes sense to you.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I highly doubt Rockstar would miss a bug that huge that involves a popular gun modification called the Suppressor. If they wanted you to be able to cap people out in the desert/mountains without gaining wanted levels, they would have. I'm positive that it's just a design decision, and makes sense too even though it's frustrating as hell.

Straw Man argument. Are you trying to say that the disappearing car bug isn't huge? They missed that one, didn't they? Just because it's a big mistake doesn't mean it's a "design choice." Stop defending bad quality control. It does no one any good. Now as to the source of the bug, it could be (and more and more in this thread seems more likely) that it's actually the wanted system that's bugged and not the silencer/suppressor. Still, this game has bugs. It looks like this is another one.

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Straw Man argument. Are you trying to say that the disappearing car bug isn't huge? They missed that one, didn't they? Just because it's a big mistake doesn't mean it's a "design choice." Stop defending bad quality control. It does no one any good. Now as to the source of the bug, it could be (and more and more in this thread seems more likely) that it's actually the wanted system that's bugged and not the silencer/suppressor. Still, this game has bugs. It looks like this is another one.

Yeah I definitely think the wanted system is glitched (with the exception of cops, that def feels deliberate) I guess we'll find out on Tuesday when online comes out. From the looks of it Online is seems to be the BIGGY as far R*'s future/vision for GTA  is concerned. So if ever there was to be a fix. I'd imagine it would be then

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

It creates less noise, which you can see on the radar. It also has a significant effect on missions, rather than free roam.

RuiRuichi
  • RuiRuichi

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

There is an issue with free roam but mission wise not really. I repeated Crystal Maze maybe several times for the gold and I was using a sniper with a silencer and no issue with being heard. Same for Friends Reunited where Trevor goes back to destroy the Lost MC trailer town, the Sandy Shores airfield and a whole lot of missions which can be tackled with stealth. All the missions have no issue with the stealth and silencer as far as my experienced is concerned and I'm at 100% already with all trophies.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

It creates less noise, which you can see on the radar. It also has a significant effect on missions, rather than free roam.

In theory that's true, but it's quite possible that even though graphically it's showing it's working properly, it may not be. But again, this could be an issue with the wanted level system and not the suppressor.

There is an issue with free roam but mission wise not really. I repeated Crystal Maze maybe several times for the gold and I was using a sniper with a silencer and no issue with being heard. Same for Friends Reunited where Trevor goes back to destroy the Lost MC trailer town, the Sandy Shores airfield and a whole lot of missions which can be tackled with stealth. All the missions have no issue with the stealth and silencer as far as my experienced is concerned and I'm at 100% already with all trophies.

I would agree, but I've had problems with it on missions as well. Maybe both are bugged. Or maybe it was just the missions on, not sure. I'll have to do more testing being stealthy in missions and see if I get the same results you're getting.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:49 AM Edited by HitPoint, 29 September 2013 - 08:50 AM.

You can say that I am Straw Manning, but I can say it's being opinionated and believe it to be a design choice... They either didn't take the time to implement suppressive gameplay and kept it as is in freeroam to avoid wanted stars, or it was intentional.  

And about the car thing, it's just mods that disappear I thought and only from protags safehouse garages. Which is avoidable storing in the bigger garages, no?

Jetpack5000
  • Jetpack5000

I GOT IT

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

rstraer messed up with this shoit

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

You can say that Straw Manning, but I can say it's being opinionated and believe it to be a design choice... They either didn't take the time to implement suppressive gameplay and kept it as is in freeroam to avoid wanted stars, or it was intentional.  

And about the car thing, it's just mods that disappear I thought and only from protags safehouse garages. Which is avoidable storing in the bigger garages, no?

That makes no sense. Your argument was that it's too major a thing to be a bug so it must be a design choice when there are clearly big things in the game that are bugged like disappearing cars.

No, it's not just the mods that are disappearing, it's the  whole cars that are disappearing too. Doesn't matter what garages you store them in.

http://support.rocks...losing-upgrades

They are aware of the bug and are working on it. Again... why are you defending poor quality control? Why can't it be a bug and has to be a design choice? Where does the suppressor actually work that you can say it's a design choice for it to not work in free-roam, because I've had the suppressor not work in both free-roam and in missions.

I think there are two bugs at work here - one possibly with the suppressor that requires more testing, and another with the wanted level system. But they are definitely not both design choices.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:57 AM Edited by HitPoint, 29 September 2013 - 09:02 AM.

You really can't compare a mechanic that affects character control to one that was affected by Social Club issues, two entirely different things..

edit: I have had no issues using the suppressor in missions, obviously some missions will be scripted to where you can't fire a gun at all or you will be sighted but majority of the time it has worked just fine for me.

Have you used the tazer? That's relatively quiet too, and it can still warrant stars on your ass.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

You really can't compare a mechanic that affects character control to one that was affected by Social Club issues, two entirely different things..

You really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or you're just trolling. The disappearing car bug has absolutely nothing to do with the Social Club. I'm finished arguing with you because you are going to believe what you want and ignore facts to suit your own argument.

RuiRuichi
  • RuiRuichi

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I would agree, but I've had problems with it on missions as well. Maybe both are bugged. Or maybe it was just the missions on, not sure. I'll have to do more testing being stealthy in missions and see if I get the same results you're getting.

You mentioned the coroner's office mission , the first one from Davey, it is scripted that there will be a huge gunfight. I can't find a video on youtube that was done on stealth approach and I also tried several times, it really is just that way. Davey called Michael that the agency was already aware of his presence in the building after you checked out the corpse there so that explains it.

Yea if you kill 2 people regardless back to back you get a wanted star. And also I think its the witness detection, if you kill one guy the other guy sees then boom star. I know people call the cops but sometimes they just come automatically when you kill the person up on the mountain or sea and there friend notices. You get what i am trying to say, but I think thats the problem.

It's just really random or maybe bugged or just brokenlol. I remember doing stunt jumps, I rammed two people after a jump with a whole crowd watching and not a star popped out.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

You mentioned the coroner's office mission , the first one from Davey, it is scripted that there will be a huge gunfight. I can't find a video on youtube that was done on stealth approach and I also tried several times, it really is just that way. Davey called Michael that the agency was already aware of his presence in the building after you checked out the corpse there so that explains it.

Yea if you kill 2 people regardless back to back you get a wanted star. And also I think its the witness detection, if you kill one guy the other guy sees then boom star. I know people call the cops but sometimes they just come automatically when you kill the person up on the mountain or sea and there friend notices. You get what i am trying to say, but I think thats the problem.

It's just really random or maybe bugged or just brokenlol. I remember doing stunt jumps, I rammed two people after a jump with a whole crowd watching and not a star popped out.

Yea, I'll have to do more testing, because I know it wasn't just on that one mission. Not to say other missions couldn't have been scripted like that as well, but again, more testing needs to be done.

Either way, like you said, it's random or busted. Something isn't right, though, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really loving this game. Probably one of the best GTA's R* has ever released, but it definitely has a ton of issues with it.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

You really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or you're just trolling. The disappearing car bug has absolutely nothing to do with the Social Club. I'm finished arguing with you because you are going to believe what you want and ignore facts to suit your own argument.

I'm not arguring to argue, nor am I trolling. I'm trying to have a constructive discussion and you dodge it by bantering me with other bugs that have nothing to do with the topic you created. Is it really that hard for you to wrap your peanut brain around the idea of it being intentional in a gameplay standpoint? This is GTA, not MGS, not Splinter Cell. It works in missions, it works to prevent startling peds IE it works as what they intended and it will have even greater purpose in GTA:O.

I'm out, banter away!

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

No idea if it works but I like sound it makes. I just like hearing it when I fire the gun. I usually just keep it on one pistol just in case I have be quiet for any reason.

Can you remove mods & if so, where do you do it. At the Ammunation?

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm not arguring to argue, nor am I trolling. I'm trying to have a constructive discussion and you dodge it by bantering me with other bugs that have nothing to do with the topic you created. Is it really that hard for you to wrap your peanut brain around the idea of it being intentional in a gameplay standpoint? This is GTA, not MGS, not Splinter Cell. It works in missions, it works to prevent startling peds IE it works as what they intended and it will have even greater purpose in GTA:O.

I'm out, banter away!

I really wish there was an ignore button. If you're not arguing just to argue, you're doing a terrible job of it. You have added nothing constructive to the discussion. You've offered your opinion and refused to back it up with any evidence. I've told you that I've had the suppressor not work in or out of missions. You said it can't be a bug because it's too big of a thing, I proved to you that was wrong by mentioning other bugs that Rockstar has admitted to their being in the game. News flash - the game has bugs. Instead of resorting to insults like you have, I will explain it simply, like to a child - if the company that made the game has already admitted to one major bug, is it really unreasonable to assume that there are other bugs instead of what you call design choices?

The suppressor does NOT work to prevent startling peds. Many people in this thread have already told you that, but you refuse to listen. I'm done. You're out? Good. Stay out. I want constructive analysis, not baseless opinions.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

No idea if it works but I like sound it makes. I just like hearing it when I fire the gun. I usually just keep it on one pistol just in case I have be quiet for any reason.

To weapons? I don't think all weapon mods can be removed, but yes, you do it at AmmuNation. Just browse weapons like you were going to buy the mod, and then select it again. It toggles on and off.

Magnet_man16
  • Magnet_man16

C# Programmer

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

And I hate to venture off onto the police, but you did bring it up in the OP, so I'll just say the cop cars are fast, but they aren't stupid fast. You can easily outrun them in any super car in the game. Doesn't even need to be modded.

True but when I steal a cop car, I find it funny to be rammed hard by an identical cop car with rocket engines

Exactly true. Dont you know they have a little button, when behind you. It activates rockets on the back of the car.

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Patch patch patch. Rockstar can't even patch stuff they admit there's problems with i.e. The garage issue.

So if you think they're going to 'patch' this then you've got the cognitive ability of a down syndrome.

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:33 AM Edited by Juzt, 29 September 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Patch patch patch. Rockstar can't even patch stuff they admit there's problems with i.e. The garage issue.

So if you think they're going to 'patch' this then you've got the cognitive ability of a down syndrome.

Say's the guy who thinks developers magically pull patches out of their asses at the drop of a hat.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

They are working on the disappearing car issue. One thing at a time.

As far as suppressors go, they would need to find out if suppressors are actually broken first. Maybe it's actually the wanted level system as we discussed in this thread. Not to say that's not a big bug, I think it is, but I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

Honestly, I think R* bit off more than they can chew with this game. With GTAO scheduled for a few days from now and still major issues to fix, I don't know how they're going to do anything in time. I think we're going to see at least some of these bugs for a bit yet. Hopefully the car thing will be fixed soon, though.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

To weapons? I don't think all weapon mods can be removed, but yes, you do it at AmmuNation. Just browse weapons like you were going to buy the mod, and then select it again. It toggles on and off.

I thought so. Shame it's not as easy as just turning the flashlight on & off. Better than not being able to remove them at all I guess.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I thought so. Shame it's not as easy as just turning the flashlight on & off. Better than not being able to remove them at all I guess.

I guess the idea is that they are "modifications." Meaning it takes time to put them on and a shop, so same thing with taking them off. It's not like a new pair of shoes ;)

Dog_Bread
  • Dog_Bread

awake

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

It is well established that there is an FIB spacecraft way up above the clouds. Perhaps that is what is seeing you kill people out in the wilderness when you think there are no witnesses.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:08 AM Edited by jamieleng, 29 September 2013 - 10:08 AM.

I guess the idea is that they are "modifications." Meaning it takes time to put them on and a shop, so same thing with taking them off. It's not like a new pair of shoes ;)

I was really only referring to the suppressor's, as the rest would be pretty pointless to remove. Not a big deal anyway.

Off topic: When is the grenade launcher unlocked? I have been doing the first few missions as Trevor & got a message saying that the grenade launcher is in stock, but it's not available at Ammunation.

I'm so glad I've been pacing myself with this game & not rushing through it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users