Photo

Purpose of suppressors?

69 replies to this topic
LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

I've read a couple of threads in here, and my intention is not to start another debate thread, I'm just looking for an honest answer to a simple question - do suppressors even have a purpose?

From my experience, no matter what method/weapon you use to kill someone, you get away with one kill every 10 minutes or so, unless it's a copy or a convenience store robbery. So for example, if I killed a hooker with an UNsilenced pistol, I don't get a single wanted star. If I kill another hooker 30 seconds later, I immediately get a wanted star, even if I used a suppressor. If I punched out and curb-stomped the second hooker, I get a wanted star as well.

So it seems to me like the suppressor is completely useless. It's not the method you use to kill, but the frequency of kills that wins you a wanted star.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Again, forget the magic cops with their turbo boosted cars and sharp-shooting. That's just broken and really isn't up for debate, at least that's not what this thread is about. I really want to know if I should bother with a suppressor because it seems like it doesn't do jack.

I've stood on top of a tower with no one around with a sniper rifle with a suppressor and immediately got wanted stars the second I made a kill that was too soon after another one, yet if I waited up there for like 10 minutes or so (I think once the paramedics come, you're safe to kill again) and I can pop people off all day.

Canes21
  • Canes21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

They work at times, and at other times they don't. I don't know why they don't, I don't think anyone does, but the fact is at times they do. I guess you could say right now it's kind of broken, but in my personal experience there have been times I killed 10 people in Sandy Shores and never got wanted and there have been times I punched the only person within a square mile in the face and got wanted. 

Something seems to be bugged with the system from my experience. But suppressors are obvious in what their purpose is, it's just the game's a little bugged apparently negating them of their use at times.

And I hate to venture off onto the police, but you did bring it up in the OP, so I'll just say the cop cars are fast, but they aren't stupid fast. You can easily outrun them in any super car in the game. Doesn't even need to be modded. As for calling them sharp-shooters..... they do go through extensive firearms training, it's kind of their job. Is it really surprising that a guy trained to fire a carbine rifle is going to be accurate when shooting it? Most firefights in GTA V are going to be within 100 feet. That's easily close enough for anyone to be accurate if they are trained and considering the regular cops aren't really that accurate, just the guy in the heli and the swat are for obvious reasons.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

No idea if it works but I like sound it makes. I just like hearing it when I fire the gun. I usually just keep it on one pistol just in case I have be quiet for any reason.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

They work at times, and at other times they don't. I don't know why they don't, I don't think anyone does, but the fact is at times they do. I guess you could say right now it's kind of broken, but in my personal experience there have been times I killed 10 people in Sandy Shores and never got wanted and there have been times I punched the only person within a square mile in the face and got wanted. 

Something seems to be bugged with the system from my experience. But suppressors are obvious in what their purpose is, it's just the game's a little bugged apparently negating them of their use at times.

And I hate to venture off onto the police, but you did bring it up in the OP, so I'll just say the cop cars are fast, but they aren't stupid fast. You can easily outrun them in any super car in the game. Doesn't even need to be modded. As for calling them sharp-shooters..... they do go through extensive firearms training, it's kind of their job. Is it really surprising that a guy trained to fire a carbine rifle is going to be accurate when shooting it? Most firefights in GTA V are going to be within 100 feet. That's easily close enough for anyone to be accurate if they are trained and considering the regular cops aren't really that accurate, just the guy in the heli and the swat are for obvious reasons.

So basically it's hit or miss (no pun intended) using the suppressors? Because so far it's been all miss from my experience, but I do agree that something must be bugged, because I've read threads where people have totally different experiences.

I'm not touching the cop debate. I brought it up to say don't bring it up. Period.

Canes21
  • Canes21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I would say it's bugged. Like I said, I've gone through Sandy Shores killing people left and right, never got wanted. I've killed people in alleys and never got wanted in Los Santos. Then I've had times where I fought the only guy in sight and was wanted out of nowhere. Other times I did that and wasn't wanted. Sometimes when I rampage in Sandy Shores I get wanted after the first kill, sometimes i kill 12 and never see a star.

I don't know what's going on, but there is an inconsistency for some reason.

Monge305
  • Monge305

Grove St Mama SMD

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I feel like they work better in missions than going around killing random peds in free roam. I have used them in some missions taking a stealthier approach and it seems to work but not really during free roam.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

I would say it's bugged. Like I said, I've gone through Sandy Shores killing people left and right, never got wanted. I've killed people in alleys and never got wanted in Los Santos. Then I've had times where I fought the only guy in sight and was wanted out of nowhere. Other times I did that and wasn't wanted. Sometimes when I rampage in Sandy Shores I get wanted after the first kill, sometimes i kill 12 and never see a star.

I don't know what's going on, but there is an inconsistency for some reason.

Gotcha. Yea, I'd definitely agree it's bugged if you're not only getting inconsistent results, but your results are inconsistent with my results. Hopefully R* will figure it out and release a patch.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

I feel like they work better in missions than going around killing random peds in free roam. I have used them in some missions taking a stealthier approach and it seems to work but not really during free roam.

Even in missions, I feel like they haven't worked at all for me. Like the Michael/FIB headquarters mission. I used stealth walk and a silenced pistol and agents still kept coming out of every doorway and knew exactly where I was. Maybe that was mission specific, but I just feel like they should at least be a bit confused as to where I am instead of running direclty towards me. *shrug*

• GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY likes this

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:16 AM Edited by Juzt, 29 September 2013 - 06:16 AM.

Correct. Every second person you kill in quick succession results in an immediate wanted level. Happens every time.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

Correct. Every second person you kill in quick succession results in an immediate wanted level. Happens every time.

That's exactly the results I've had, even with a suppressor and no one around, though. That doesn't sound like it should be that way. Also, considering I get the same result *without* a suppressor, it leads me to believe the suppressor may be bugged. Either that, or it's just a pointless addon. That's why I asked.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Suppressors have only had any significant effect for me during missions. It's quite disappointing that they don't have the same inconspicuous effect when roaming about the world freely.

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

OP is pathetic.. What a biased way to ask a question. You are probably going to get what you want which is validation that you are right because complainers attract more complainers.

That's my 2 cents on your OP

My opinion on stealth.. There needs to be a patch... I personally have sent rockstar an email, I don't know how many others have.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

OP is pathetic.. What a biased way to ask a question. You are probably going to get what you want which is validation that you are right because complainers attract more complainers.

My opinion on stealth.. There needs to be a patch... I personally have sent rockstar an email, I don't know how many others have.

Strong words. You want to elaborate on that? It's a very simple question - do suppressors actually do anything in the game? I don't understand where the bias is.

ThaiBrawler
  • ThaiBrawler

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Strong words. You want to elaborate on that? It's a very simple question - do suppressors actually do anything in the game? I don't understand where the bias is.

My opinion is, if it doesn't lessen the likelihood of gaining a wanted level, no true benefit can be had. It then becomes a matter of preference. Example, I have suppressors on my subs, snipers and assault rifles, but prefer not to have them on my pistols and shotguns. 

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

My opinion is, if it doesn't lessen the likelihood of gaining a wanted level, no true benefit can be had. It then becomes a matter of preference. Example, I have suppressors on my subs, snipers and assault rifles, but prefer not to have them on my pistols and shotguns. 

Well that's kind of what I'm asking - does it offer any benefit at all, or is it merely cosmetic. I was under the impression that it's *supposed* to prevent you from gaining a wanted level, or at least minimize the chance.

PsuPepperoni
  • PsuPepperoni

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

And I hate to venture off onto the police, but you did bring it up in the OP, so I'll just say the cop cars are fast, but they aren't stupid fast. You can easily outrun them in any super car in the game. Doesn't even need to be modded.

True but when I steal a cop car, I find it funny to be rammed hard by an identical cop car with rocket engines

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

And I hate to venture off onto the police, but you did bring it up in the OP, so I'll just say the cop cars are fast, but they aren't stupid fast. You can easily outrun them in any super car in the game. Doesn't even need to be modded.

True but when I steal a cop car, I find it funny to be rammed hard by an identical cop car with rocket engines

That was why I referred to them as having turbo boosted cars. Yes, you can outrun them in the sports cars, but not in other cop cars. Let's stay away from that debate, please. I'm really just looking to find out if the suppressors actually do anything or if they are just for looks.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

It is definitely f*cked.

Marabunta Grande
  • Marabunta Grande

Azul y Blanco

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

It's always worked for me...IDK if your codes got f*cked up by Activision.

Ansteven
  • Ansteven

GTA

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

Yea if you kill 2 people regardless back to back you get a wanted star. And also I think its the witness detection, if you kill one guy the other guy sees then boom star. I know people call the cops but sometimes they just come automatically when you kill the person up on the mountain or sea and there friend notices. You get what i am trying to say, but I think thats the problem.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Yea if you kill 2 people regardless back to back you get a wanted star. And also I think its the witness detection, if you kill one guy the other guy sees then boom star. I know people call the cops but sometimes they just come automatically when you kill the person up on the mountain or sea and there friend notices. You get what i am trying to say, but I think thats the problem.

No, there's definitely been cases where I was in the middle of nowhere up in the mountains with no one else around and I pop a shot off one person with a suppressor and I still get a wanted star. I'm thinking suppressors just might be bugged. Or maybe the wanted/detection system itself is bugged, not sure.

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

No, there's definitely been cases where I was in the middle of nowhere up in the mountains with no one else around and I pop a shot off one person with a suppressor and I still get a wanted star. I'm thinking suppressors just might be bugged. Or maybe the wanted/detection system itself is bugged, not sure.

I even got a wanted star when shooting a silenced rifle at at tree on top of a mountain… it happens not every time but it happens. Also I was at a friend of mine playing GTA V and it seems that it happens more often on my version than at his… this can't be… but I swear it is! This is weird

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

I even got a wanted star when shooting a silenced rifle at at tree on top of a mountain… it happens not every time but it happens. Also I was at a friend of mine playing GTA V and it seems that it happens more often on my version than at his… this can't be… but I swear it is! This is weird

I've had that happen too. I'm really starting to think it's something R* needs to look into. It's a definite possibility that it's just bugged like a few other things.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:05 AM Edited by HitPoint, 29 September 2013 - 08:15 AM.

I honestly don't think it's "bugged" as you keep throwing around and I believe it's intended... If you could just throw on a suppressor and go on a stealth killing spree without gaining any wanted stars than everyone would do so and the police would be a waste of gameplay mechanics and would ruin the tension. The suppressors DO work, but are mainly used to delay startling other pedestrians around your victim or being stealthy in missions.

And than there is GTA Online which will most likely use suppressors as a way to limit players from seeing your position on the radar when firing from a suppressor.

Just because you think the game is bugged based off one criteria does not make it true.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:11 AM Edited by Pinnkiepie, 29 September 2013 - 08:11 AM.

Definately a weapon of choice for Missions that require a Stealthier approach, but in Free Roam it works quite dodgy :D

Use a Grenade Launcher/Shotgun downtown (crowded with people), no Star!

Use a Sniper-Rifle with Suppressor in the Wilderness with no witnesses around, Star! :D

Very odd!

--

Will definately go the Suppressor-Route for the Online Missions though!

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

I honestly don't think it's "bugged" as you keep throwing around and I believe it's intended... If you could just throw on a suppressor and go on a stealth killing spree without gaining any wanted stars than everyone would do so and the police would be a waste of gameplay mechanics and would ruin the tension. The suppressors DO work, but are mainly used to delay startling other pedestrians around your victim or being stealthy in a mission.

That's a complete logical fallacy. No one said they are having problems going on killing sprees. People are having issues with using a suppressor in the middle of nowhere with no one around. That has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics of the police. Something is not right there.

Juzt
  • Juzt

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:13 AM Edited by Juzt, 29 September 2013 - 08:15 AM.

Considering you can get a wanted level in the exact same circumstances, only using your fists rather than a silenced pistol. I'd say it's the wanted system that is bugged.

Another thing that winds me up (and this isn't a bug, it's a deliberate and rather sh*tty design choice) is that you can silently kill a police officer or military guy with no witnesses around and end up getting an immediate 3 star wanted level. I hate that they did this and still can't get my head around why they did this. Especially when they gave us the option to use stealth. What the hell man, really.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Considering you can get a wanted level in the exact same circumstances, only using your fists rather than a silenced pistol. I'd say it's the wanted system that is bugged.

Another thing that winds me up (and this isn't a bug, it's a deliberate and rather sh*tty design choice) is that you can silently kill a police officer or military guy with no witnesses around and end up getting an immediate 3 star wanted level. I hate that they did this and still can't get my head around why they did this. Especially when they gave us the option to use stealth. What the hell man, really.

Good point. That's why I mentioned it could be the wanted system, because I've seen that. I agree.

That bugs me, but I've learned to just live with it. I just don't take pot shots at cops. What *does* bother me and it also may be just design choice is when you hit right on the d-pad to talk to someone, and if you do it a few times, you insult the person and then they attack you. Even if you just knock them out with your fists, I (9/10 times) get a wanted level for that. What gives? The guy came at me, bro. Haha.

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I honestly don't think it's "bugged" as you keep throwing around and I believe it's intended... If you could just throw on a suppressor and go on a stealth killing spree without gaining any wanted stars than everyone would do so and the police would be a waste of gameplay mechanics and would ruin the tension. The suppressors DO work, but are mainly used to delay startling other pedestrians around your victim or being stealthy in a mission.

That's a complete logical fallacy. No one said they are having problems going on killing sprees. People are having issues with using a suppressor in the middle of nowhere with no one around. That has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics of the police. Something is not right there.

Never said people had issues going on killing sprees, I gave an example of how the system would be exploited to avoid the police at all times (outside of driving). Which is why Rockstar intended it to cause a wanted level with, or without a suppressor.

It's that simple.

LittleMike
  • LittleMike

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Never said people had issues going on killing sprees, I gave an example of how the system would be exploited to avoid the police at all times (outside of driving). Which is why Rockstar intended it to cause a wanted level with, or without a suppressor.

It's that simple.

Again, complete logical fallacy because you're assuming that there would be no other mechanics involved, like using a suppressor in a crowded street wouldn't trigger a wanted level, which wouldn't make any sense for the suppressor to work that way. It DOES make sense for the suppressor to prevent you from getting a wanted level if you kill a hooker in the middle of an empty alleyway, though, and that's just not the case. People are complaining about the suppressor not working in situations where it makes sense that it should. Look at it from the other direction - where does the suppressor work, then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users