Photo

That Turbulence though...

79 replies to this topic
Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Crying? You use that term and work on jet engines?

Lol sumtingwong here

No crying, turbulence is not as frequent as this game mskes out to be...

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Crying? You use that term and work on jet engines?

Lol sumtingwong here

How do you know the frequency of turbulence? There is minor turbulence that we barley feel in flight. It's always there in some shape or form. Rise in heat, change in air current, other aircraft, etc all cause it. Maybe it could be a bit "too" much, but it can't helped by flight skills. Even the most experienced pilots run into it.  

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

The cause of turbulence is complicated for sure but this game does a poor job in simulating it. From what I've read, shifting wind is the most common cause for turbulence, the ripples of planes cutting through the air can also be a cause and heat rising from the ground causing turbulence during take off and landings. In this game however, flying straight can cause turbulence for no reason, give us a reason for it, just flying shouldn't be a just cause for it.

TommyK154
  • TommyK154

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

I find that the blimp from my pre-order bonus doesn't experience turbulence at all, or at least its so big that its insignificant. I really hope they patch this though because flying is awful even with 100% flying. It's so nice for a few moments then boom the turbulence kicks in and its like damn this sucks

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

The cause of turbulence is complicated for sure but this game does a poor job in simulating it. From what I've read, shifting wind is the most common cause for turbulence, the ripples of planes cutting through the air can also be a cause and heat rising from the ground causing turbulence during take off and landings. In this game however, flying straight can cause turbulence for no reason, give us a reason for it, just flying shouldn't be a just cause for it.

I'll give you that one. Well maybe if they put it over mountains or some areas of the ocean would be more realistic then. Or at least a step in the right direction. 

TommyK154
  • TommyK154

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

speaking of take off and landings, the game should work on making realistic take off and landings before they add stupid stuff like turbulence. You can take off on like a 20ft runway and its impossible to land correctly (in terms of real life technique) and once you land again it takes like 20ft to come to a complete stop. I'd much rather have that be realistic than these retarded side winds

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

Have you ever piloted a light airplane? It is that frequent and it does affect the airplane almost precisely so.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

Lol yeah. Landing with a jet is a nightmare, it's a mix between high speed and stalling. I feel like the other planes land alright though. Breaking and slowly gliding into a landing point.

That take off though... 3 seconds.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

speaking of take off and landings, the game should work on making realistic take off and landings before they add stupid stuff like turbulence. You can take off on like a 20ft runway and its impossible to land correctly (in terms of real life technique) and once you land again it takes like 20ft to come to a complete stop. I'd much rather have that be realistic than these retarded side winds

The runway is too short in this game to fix. A 747(assuming the plane is modeled after it) requires at least 10,000ft of runaway. 

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Have you ever piloted a light airplane? It is that frequent and it does affect the airplane almost precisely so.

Can't say that I have. Smaller planes don't bother me as much as jets and helicopters though. I can see how a small one engine plane can struggle against currents, can't see how state of the art jet engine aircrafts can struggle as much. Can't see how helicopters that are simply hovering struggle as much either.

Lol, speaking about odd controls, what about the boats? They glide through the air as if they were weightless.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:43 AM

It's about aerodynamics, not the engines. A small jet plane will suffer the same effects. But yes, larger planes should be a bit less sensitive to turbulence.

As for helicopters, they can also be very sensitive to turbulence. The reason is that while the heli itself isn't moving, the rotor blades are cutting through the air, and so the lift of each one will depend very much on air velocity. This means that a light gust of wind can easily flip the heli to the side. This is something you have to correct for on a helicopter for sure.

Again, larger helicopters should be less sensitive, and in particular, the twin rotor helicopters should be very stable. So with Cargobob you have all the grounds to complain. Then again, chopper physics is so bad to begin with that finding more flaws with it is almost silly.

P.S. I've never piloted a helicopter, so that's based on purely theoretical knowledge. I have flown a C-172, which is equivalent to Mammatus, so I can vouch for that being very sensitive to air movements even in clear weather under 2,000 feet. I've also got to try a 1944 T6, which is larger and heavier, and that makes a world of difference. You still feel the air, though, despite a rather powerful engine and higher air speeds.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

Search YouTube for turbulence and you'll see it toss jumbo jets around while trying to land and take-off. 

Helicopters and very unstable also. One damaged rotor can cause severe vibrations. Also twin rotor helicopters can and have a hard time going through the auto rotating phase. Something they use to try to lighten the fall if a rotor should fail. 

Did you know that bad wind can stall a aircraft's engine if blowing from the rear into the exhaust. I normally doesn't happen during flight, but during engine start up. 

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

I can understand air currents and drifts and jet streams, but this game has a programed turbulence setup that's irrelevant to the change in the air. It feels like the plane or helicopter is malfunctioning, not turbulence.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

Search YouTube for turbulence and you'll see it toss jumbo jets around while trying to land and take-off.

Sure, but that requires a pretty solid wind. A 172 won't even take off in such weather.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

Sure, but that requires a pretty solid wind. A 172 won't even take off in such weather.

Sure won't, that thing would be flipped and destroyed.  It would be nice if wind was programmed to affect planes as should in this game. Maybe we should go work for R*.

2spooky4u
  • 2spooky4u

Mayor of LS

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Turbulence has something to do with flying skill. I have full flying skill and I still encounter lots of turbulence but that may be due to the altitude you're flying at. I've noticed you encounter less turbulence higher up. 

G-Funk
  • G-Funk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

*Dat *Doe

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Maybe we should go work for R*.

One of the places I plan to drop my resume. Seems like they'd appreciate a gameplay programmer with actual understanding of vehicle physics.
  • GamerPatriot likes this

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:26 AM Edited by Munx, 30 September 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Turbulence has something to do with flying skill. I have full flying skill and I still encounter lots of turbulence but that may be due to the altitude you're flying at. I've noticed you encounter less turbulence higher up. 

Which is weird cause turbulence should be more frequent higher up (unless your above the cloud layer).

Personally I have used the simulation that the norwegian army uses to train its helicopter pilots before they are allowed up in a real helicopter, turbulence was definatly a factor, but less so then in gta V.

When the simulation simulated storms/hard winds etc the turbulence would easily be more severe then gta v, the noteable diffrence was during what seemed like clear weather.

Obviously the simulation is also not a carbon copy of real life, but I would say its a pretty safe bet that its a far better representation then some action game.

Again I would like to point out I think that the turbulence is a good feature, I just don't think its used appropriatly, and it should be less common.

And the real issues arnt really noticed when flying in third person, It dosnt become really apparent unless you fly first person, if you havnt tried it, I suggest you do.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

*Dat *Doe

Lol right, my bad... I failed :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users