» «
Photo

That Turbulence though...

79 replies to this topic
Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:19 AM Edited by Lunytunes, 29 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

I enjoy the flying in this game up to the point where my helicopter is shifting left and right like i don't have any control over it. What the hell? Then the airplanes suffer from turbulence every other 5 seconds? I've flown 5 hour flights with less turbulence than I get in this game in five minutes! 

P.S. I tried flying the submarine with the Cargo bob but the thing pulls me into the water, the only thing I can do is fly straight up, if I move toward a direction, the submarine unhooks from my chopper and falls down into the mountains killing the elk. Anybody got any tips for flying it with the submarine?

This thread has turned into a discussion about how the mechanics should work. Nobody has said that they can't control the air crafts, we are all simply stating that the mechanic needs to be tuned to make sense. 

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

The turbulance while flying planes is pretty wild and hard to counter, but when using a helicopter with maxed out flight skill, it's nearly nonexistent.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

Nearly nonexistent? Nigga you must be crazy. At maximum flying skill helis roll side to side like you're experiencing 150kmh winds.

Sh*t is beyond retarded. Needs patching.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Depends on which helicopter it seems.  The only decent one I've found is the Frogger.  Buzzard gets blown around a lot and the Cargobob is just too slow to really matter much.

balmung03
  • balmung03

bawlz in the baygz

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

I wouldn't say the turbulence is nonexistent, but it's certainly not an extreme nuisance.  It'll cause a little trouble if you were jackknifing through buildings downtown, though other than that it's alright.  Though even flying with Trevor on a maxed flying skill, it still happens with fair regularity.

Holding L1+R1 (or RB+LB on Xbox) while flying should reduce some of the sway you get, or at least it seems to help for me.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Lol I maxed my skills and the Heli's sway like crazy. The way it's set up now should only be applied when it's raining. 

EminentDomain17
  • EminentDomain17

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

I don't get much issues with the heli. You have to keep the anolog stick central. It is like a real heli- they are extremely difficult to pilot due to fact of being very touchy. After pilot school an few more flights I have no issue with it. The turbulence for planes is sweet I think. Makes the flight more..interesting. What do you want .. No turbulence ? Or maybe every 10 minutes in our time ..not GTA time ? People cry abou stuff too much , no offense. If anything needs patched its entering interiors. Either way, this game is f*cking amazing.

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Nearly nonexistent? Nigga you must be crazy. At maximum flying skill helis roll side to side like you're experiencing 150kmh winds.

No offense, but you're probably just a terrible pilot or have very little flight time.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:27 PM Edited by Lunytunes, 29 September 2013 - 06:27 PM.

I don't get much issues with the heli. You have to keep the anolog stick central. It is like a real heli- they are extremely difficult to pilot due to fact of being very touchy. After pilot school an few more flights I have no issue with it. The turbulence for planes is sweet I think. Makes the flight more..interesting. What do you want .. No turbulence ? Or maybe every 10 minutes in our time ..not GTA time ? People cry abou stuff too much , no offense. If anything needs patched its entering interiors. Either way, this game is f*cking amazing.

It's not crying if it's a legitimate complaint. I'm not saying this is game breaking, it's just a bit ridiculous to suffer from turbulence for no apparent reason other than flying. It doesn't make the air craft impossible to fly but it's a bit annoying... 

It's cool to an extent but not to the point where my plane should shake every other minute.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

It´s perfectly OK. Don´t try to dumb down another feature that is OK. I made the full sidequest breaking the "for sale" banners landing on narrow Vinewood streets with a chopper to save time. I didn´t touch anything.

Also I noticed weather changes the handling characteristics of choppers a lot, which was nice to see.

manik05
  • manik05

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

couldnt agree more.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Understanding Turbulence

http://www.pbs.org/n...rous-is-it.html

Turbulence is the random, chaotic motion of air, caused by changes in air currents.

Apparently, Los Santos and Blaine County are very windy and have erratic air currents.

So Turbulence is a nice concept, to the point where it's realistic and not stupid like every other minute  :panic: 

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

As someone who has been aboard a few helicopters in my life I have to say the turbulence seem WAY over the top. ( hell, had my first helicopter flight as a newborn )

In real life you will also have pockets of turbulence, but the vast majority of your flight will generally be pretty smooth flight, exception being specific weather conditions of course.

However in GTA V the turbulence is almost constant, There is rarely a 5 seconds timespawn between the pockets of turbulence, and the effect the turbulence has on the chopper is often way more then what a real chopper would experience under normal conditions.

And even if the turbulence was as severe in real life under normal conditions that would still not be an excuse for making something a fun as flying, into something potentially tedious and nauseating.

That said, Its important to note that the effects of the wobbling is FAR less noticeable in third person, if you doubt that theres to much turbulence, I suggest you try to fly in first person, not only will it be more noticeable, but it will be directly nauseating as instead of just your chopper wobbling in 3rd person, your whole camera wobbles (constantly).

The biggest sinners are the Buzzard, Cargobob and the stuntplane, but even the loveable frogger wobbles alot more then it should.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want turbulence removed from the game, not at all, I think its an exciting feature, however it should not be something we have to wrestle with 24/7, that makes it a tedious feature rather then an enjoyable one.

Infact when the weather conditions are bad (rain/thunder) I would welcome a even more noticeable amount of turbulence, as rain is not overly frequent, and the turbulence actually makes perfect sense under those conditions.

And I am definatly not a bad pilot in gta v, I can easily maintain very high speed while flying a mere 1 m over pretty much any of the roads, going full speed trough tunnels is something I have no issue with, and one of my favorite past times while waiting for gta online is landing on moving trailers and trains (in first person view).

Yet I am sure there are pilots out there far more capable then me, my point is I am not complaining about wobbling because it is making it difficult for me to fly, infact the turbulence has very little impact on what I can actually do in a chopper, the problem is the negative side effects that come with such a constant amount of wobbling, like I said before it can make flying feel tedious and most importantly nauseating.

• Gaffa, gunziness, FasterThanYou and 1 other like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Nicely explained. It doesn´t really affect what you can/can´t do, but it does look a bit silly visually at high speed. On the other hand I like having to work to keep the chopper stable when trying to land in a hard place.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Nicely explained. It doesn´t really affect what you can/can´t do, but it does look a bit silly visually at high speed. On the other hand I like having to work to keep the chopper stable when trying to land in a hard place.

Look silly visually? guees thats speaking as a third person view flyer? when you fly first person it does far more then just look silly :/

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

You do get turbulence a lot in planes, but honestly you suck at flying if it messes you up.  It's a little annoying that it happens, but it has very little effect on my flying.

When helicopters roll from side to side, that's not due to turbulence.  That's because you moved the stick.  It will continue to swing back and forth after you stop also.  Helicopter flight is kind of dampened in this game.  Imagine it like this...  When you're flying a helicopter, the helicopter takes a second to react to the controls, and it continues reacting for a bit after you stop.  That's realistic.  Here's a tip...  When flying straight, keep the stick perfectly still and try using the back rotor to steer.  You'll just have to get more practice at flying.  It was weird for me at first too.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

You do get turbulence a lot in planes, but honestly you suck at flying if it messes you up.  It's a little annoying that it happens, but it has very little effect on my flying.

When helicopters roll from side to side, that's not due to turbulence.  That's because you moved the stick.  It will continue to swing back and forth after you stop also.  Helicopter flight is kind of dampened in this game.  Imagine it like this...  When you're flying a helicopter, the helicopter takes a second to react to the controls, and it continues reacting for a bit after you stop.  That's realistic.  Here's a tip...  When flying straight, keep the stick perfectly still and try using the back rotor to steer.  You'll just have to get more practice at flying.  It was weird for me at first too.

No, its not, I have tested this multiple times by simply hovering. its turbulence.

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Just tested it.  While the helicopter does sway slightly due to wind, it has no real effect on anything.  The helicopter stays in the same spot while hovering.  I don't see what the problem is.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:18 PM Edited by Munx, 29 September 2013 - 07:20 PM.

*sigh* thats because you are hovering, the effects of the turbulence is amplified based on speed.

Also are you flying third or first person? I also hardly notice it in third person. (except for getting swayed off-course at high speeds)

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

I don't have an issue flying, but I can understand why some people are iffy on it. They could tone it down a bit.

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:22 PM Edited by janzdott, 29 September 2013 - 07:28 PM.

No, its not, I have tested this multiple times by simply hovering. its turbulence.

^^ *Sigh* Bud, do you not remember that you were JUST talking about hovering?  And I wasn't directing my first post at you.  It wasn't directed at anybody.  It was just a general comment that I made toward the topic.

My edit to your edit: Yeah, I'm playing in 3rd person.  I've always found 1st person in helicopters to be very annoying.  I only use it sometimes while flying the Buzzard.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:22 PM Edited by Skeloton, 29 September 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Jandzdott, are you playing GTA5 because my cargobob/buzzards/frogger sway while hovering as if its a boat.

Its definitely turbulence, my stick doesnt err left or right. I have to make movements to counter it. Its getting tiresome, the sway not the arguements.

It looks cool in storms though.

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Jandzdott, are you playing GTA5 because my cargobob/buzzards/frogger sway while hovering as if its a boat.

Yes I am.  I am just stating, if you pay close attention while flying, a lot of the swaying is due to the joystick.  Other swaying that occurs IS due to wind, but has very little effect on anything.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

It's not a game breaking issue! Lol it's just annoying...

I feel like I'm going to have a seizure every time I fly in this game because of the wobble for no apparent reason... I would LOVE to use the vehicles on first person but I don't like GTAV's first person view. I like seeing the inside of the vehicle/aircraft I am using (Like Battle Field's first person view inside the helicopters and jets). GTAV just puts you on the tip of the vehicle and I don't like that view. I think that it would be great if they made a camera view that's actually inside the cockpit or car. 

Idk, I didn't start this thread to say that the turbulence was making my life impossible, just stating the fact that this game has a ridiculous amount of it and maybe it should be toned down a bit.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:32 PM Edited by Skeloton, 29 September 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Jandzdott can you be more specific by 'movng the joystick'. When i simply move mine to go forward is enough to make it sway. And when i say that i mean it goes forward and neither moves left or right. Even when it goes slightly left shouldnt mean it sways right first.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:33 PM Edited by Munx, 29 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

^^ *Sigh* Bud, do you not remember that you were JUST talking about hovering?  And I wasn't directing my first post at you.  It wasn't directed at anybody.  It was just a general comment that I made toward the topic.

My edit to your edit: Yeah, I'm playing in 3rd person.  I've always found 1st person in helicopters to be very annoying.  I only use it sometimes while flying the Buzzard.

Indeed I did talk about hovering, and I was indeed correct, you at first claimed the wobbling was due the joystick "failure" while infact even you see the swaying while hovering, since you claimed it was minimal I pointed out that it is ofcourse amplified by speed.

Well If you fly in third person I am not suprised you arnt noticing the same issues I am, like I said before the wobbling does not make it anymore difficult for me to fly, but it makes me feel physically ill (due to first person camera swaying like a pendulum.) and because of CONSTANTLY having to fight this turbulence with my joysticks to avoid the nauseating effect, it in return also becomes tedious.

In first person the constant turbulence feels almost like some obnoxious minigame that comes with the helicopter, minigames should be by choice.

Salandrea
  • Salandrea

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm a bit confused of how people think that the aircrafts in this game is too hard or too "flying around in turbulens"... I've never in my life piloted an aircraft in a console game before and I think that they could even had made the controls for planes and helicopters harder. I have no issues with it what so ever with maxed flight skill, if your helicopter sways to the left, just point your joystick to the right, easy thing to counter.

The only time I have an issue in my plane is when I make too hard turns, lose control and end up crashing. :p Otherwhise I have no issue what so ever with aircrafts and I have a lot of fun flying around. :D

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'm a bit confused of how people think that the aircrafts in this game is too hard or too "flying around in turbulens"... I've never in my life piloted an aircraft in a console game before and I think that they could even had made the controls for planes and helicopters harder. I have no issues with it what so ever with maxed flight skill, if your helicopter sways to the left, just point your joystick to the right, easy thing to counter.

The only time I have an issue in my plane is when I make too hard turns, lose control and end up crashing. :p Otherwhise I have no issue what so ever with aircrafts and I have a lot of fun flying around. :D

Like I've said many times, the problem was never that it makes it anymore difficult for me to fly.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Salandra, if you actually read you'll find its making flying tedious not difficult and we dont want it removed. Just toned down in clear weather and amped up in rainy/thundery weather.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Salandra, if you actually read you'll find its making flying tedious not difficult and we dont want it removed. Just toned down in clear weather and amped up in rainy/thundery weather.

Yup. I think that it's a cool concept, it's just not applied properly... 

• gunziness likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users