Coming Soon - A Potential GTAForums Insider Trading Hub

210 replies to this topic
SileightyCyrus
  • SileightyCyrus

I > Gravity

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Guys, just as a warning Rockstar made a comment about attempting to prevent stock market guiding a few days before the game was released. I highly doubt it will be bans or anything extreme, but I wouldn't invest every dollar you have if I were you. Chances are, Rockstar can change the market at any time if they want, and some of you might get zero'd out if you're not careful.

Just some friendly advice - carry on :)

I thought I had seen something where they actually mentioned they were excited about it. This won't be the only group to do it, and when a second competing group comes along, it might make it more interesting...

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:36 AM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 02:11 PM.

Hey everyone, I'm very happy to announce that the GTAF Inside Trading Crew is now open for business! In order to prevent a huge influx of people joining and causing it to max out on members, it is currently invite only. Send us a request to join and we'll get you added right away!

Management team members will take priority here. Due to the hierarchy system of crews, I'll also need to determine which 2 other members will become Commissioners. Aside from promotion/demotion and being able to recruit new members, the main advantage of this is that it will give you the power to edit the crew emblem. I'll need the more creative members of the team in this role.

If you want to join the crew, please click the following link: http://socialclub.ro..._inside_traders

• SileightyCyrus and GeckoWacko like this

GeckoWacko
  • GeckoWacko

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sticky this already mods this is called dedication and dedication equals reward.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:56 AM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Sticky this already mods this is called dedication and dedication equals reward.

This is more of a planning thread. The idea is that the finished 'hub' will be pinned as an index thread. I'm more than happy for this to be stickied, but be aware that this is not the place to discuss stocks just yet. This is strictly for planning out the thread and getting ideas from the community.

Kirsty has agreed to this happening so planning can now begin in earnest! I've never encountered an indexed thread before, so I am unsure of how exactly it will work in relation to other threads being posted in this forum.

We were going to plan everything amongst ourselves, but I thought it best to be open with the community. I hope everyone will respect our decision to keep them up-to-date as everything happens. We'll be able to make changes based on feedback too which helps. This is this forum's chance to regain some credibility and show that we are a force to be reckoned with. Let's not mess this up. :)

igrvks
  • igrvks

Proto Hipster

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Sent a request to join the crew, this is the good stuff that brings me back to GTAV. Although I would like to see an emblem that is a bit "classier", considering that the crew will effectively be a billionaires club. (Los Santos Billionaires Club, there's a dope name for the crew :D)

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Sent a request to join the crew, this is the good stuff that brings me back to GTAV. Although I would like to see an emblem that is a bit "classier", considering that the crew will effectively be a billionaires club. (Los Santos Billionaires Club, there's a dope name for the crew :D)

We'll get you added ASAP. The emblem will be worked on in the coming days and weeks. What you see there is just a placeholder emblem. :)

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Guys, just as a warning Rockstar made a comment about attempting to prevent stock market guiding a few days before the game was released. I highly doubt it will be bans or anything extreme, but I wouldn't invest every dollar you have if I were you. Chances are, Rockstar can change the market at any time if they want, and some of you might get zero'd out if you're not careful.

Just some friendly advice - carry on :)

Not that I don't believe you, but can you link us to the exact quote? On this forum like to see some evidence to back up what you're saying. :)

TimFL
  • TimFL

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Who cares if they crash the stock, I got my last cash out savegame at $7.13 so I still get to keep my money. It only shows that they're "even more" pathetic by removing some of the freedom you have.

cheesepoo
  • cheesepoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I would like to join. These stocks have been so interesting :D

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I've always taken an interest in stocks and shares. Even though this is GTA V, I feel it still stands for something.

Anywho, I'm interested. I'll be joining that social club crew any second.

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:47 AM Edited by Calavera999, 29 September 2013 - 11:51 AM.

May I ask a question?

How do you even know that buying shares in this game raises the share price like it would in real life? The way I see it the prices go up and down based on activity, such as people buying certain cars or certain weapons, or for instance the more people who are logged on to rockstars servers raises the share price of the power company (which would make a lot of sense). If it just focused on how many people are buying shares in the company then it's the most arbitrary implementation of a stock market ever as they're not real operating businesses and companies. 

Also other games that have implemented a market have usually taking action to stop this kind of attempt at mass control as it ruins the game for other people who don't take video games more seriously than making money IRL. 

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:58 AM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 11:59 AM.

May I ask a question?

How do you even know that buying shares in this game raises the share price like it would in real life? The way I see it the prices go up and down based on activity, such as people buying certain cars or certain weapons, or for instance the more people who are logged on to rockstars servers raises the share price of the power company (which would make a lot of sense). If it just focused on how many people are buying shares in the company then it's the most arbitrary implementation of a stock market ever. 

Also other games that have implemented a market have usually taking action to stop this kind of attempt at mass control as it ruins the game for other people who don't take video games more seriously than making money IRL. 

We have a number of theories as to why there has been increase in the stock price of Pisswasser:

- GTAO Beta testers activity (they may have made investments in Pisswasser or have in some other way affected the stock of the company)
- Our investment (We have been investing heavily, which could lead to a rise in Pisswasser stocks)
- Rockstar's intervention in the manipulation of the market (Rockstar may have taken control and caused it to rise)
- A pre-programmed increase (It might just be something that was always going to happen and we've just jumped on the bandwagon as it rises)

Each theory is just as likely to be correct as the next because the evidence that we've gained from the Pisswasser thread (mainly the increase in the stock price since Thursday) seems to match up with all of them. Our main theory is that singleplayer investments have an impact on the price. We won't have the definitive evidence until the sell-off, so until then, we will continue to believe strongly in this theory.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread to discuss the specifics of Pisswasser's current increase, but I hope that clears things up for you. 

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:03 PM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

Who cares if they crash the stock, I got my last cash out savegame at $7.13 so I still get to keep my money. It only shows that they're "even more" pathetic by removing some of the freedom you have.

Tim, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Who exactly is 'pathetic' and 'removing freedom'? The crash will help us to tell whether the stock price is being affected by our singleplayer investments. Then we can inform Rockstar if this is the case and they can fix it. It's an obvious flaw really. Many GTAO players could abuse this by investing into a company with low stocks and using their singleplayer characters' money to cause its increase. If they purchase the $1.25 million cash card and invest that into the company, then they'll have a huge head start on everyone. Better weaponry, vehicles, customization options etc. which will only unbalance the game initially. 

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:07 PM Edited by Calavera999, 29 September 2013 - 12:09 PM.

May I ask a question?

How do you even know that buying shares in this game raises the share price like it would in real life? The way I see it the prices go up and down based on activity, such as people buying certain cars or certain weapons, or for instance the more people who are logged on to rockstars servers raises the share price of the power company (which would make a lot of sense). If it just focused on how many people are buying shares in the company then it's the most arbitrary implementation of a stock market ever. 

We have a number of theories as to why there has been increase in the stock price of Pisswasser:

- GTAO Beta testers activity (they may have made investments in Pisswasser or have in some other way affected the stock of the company)
- Our investment (We have been investing heavily, which could lead to a rise in Pisswasser stocks)
- Rockstar's intervention in the manipulation of the market (Rockstar may have taken control and caused it to rise)
- A pre-programmed increase (It might just be something that was always going to happen and we've just jumped on the bandwagon as it rises)

Each theory is just as likely to be correct as the next because the evidence that we've gained from the Pisswasser thread (mainly the increase in the stock price since Thursday) seems to match up with all of them. Our main theory is that singleplayer investments have an impact on the price. We won't have the definitive evidence until the sell-off, so until then, we will continue to believe strongly in this theory.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread to discuss the specifics of Pisswasser's current increase, but I hope that clears things up for you. 

Would it not be much more logical that each company is tied to in game action? wouldn't that be a much more sensible gameplay mechanic than simply how many people are buying shares in the company. There is no market cap for these companies for a start (or so it seems), it isn't going to work like it does in the real world.

How do you know that beta testers (the theory im going with for the time being) aren't increasing the price because they are going to bars and buying drinks? Or raising the HAL stocks because they're buying certain weapons produced by HAL at ammunation? I'm not discussing Pisswasser at all I'm inquiring into the idea of this trading hub as it seems everyone is getting all serious about a virtual stock market expecting it to work as a real life dynamic one does so in the real world.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Tim, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Who exactly is 'pathetic' and 'removing freedom'? The crash will help us to tell whether the stock price is being affected by our singleplayer investments. Then we can inform Rockstar if this is the case and they can fix it. It's an obvious flaw really. Many GTAO players could abuse this by investing into a company with low stocks and using their singleplayer characters' money to cause its increase. If they purchase the $1.25 million cash card and invest that into the company, then they'll have a huge head start on everyone. Better weaponry, vehicles, customization options etc. which will only unbalance the game. 

I think he is refering to R* possibly preventing Stock manipulation/guiding by purposely crashing them.

TimFL
  • TimFL

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Tim, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Who exactly is 'pathetic' and 'removing freedom'? The crash will help us to tell whether the stock price is being affected by our singleplayer investments. Then we can inform Rockstar if this is the case and they can fix it. It's an obvious flaw really. Many GTAO players could abuse this by investing into a company with low stocks and using their singleplayer characters' money to cause its increase. If they purchase the $1.25 million cash card and invest that into the company, then they'll have a huge head start on everyone. Better weaponry, vehicles, customization options etc. which will only unbalance the game initially. 

No I mean it's pathetic of R* if they go ahead and crash the price manually just because a few users make millions out of it. It would be pathetic if they decided to control the market fully by preventing such spikes from happening. I'm all for trying it out and checking out where it goes but I wont cry in a corner if we fail due to getting cash backups (and it's a game only anyways) though.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:09 PM Edited by brian., 29 September 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Rockstar's gonna ban you or take your money if this is online. This stuff will be regulated.

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Also, the idea that single player is effecting the BAWSAQ is a risky idea to invest in, because if that's true it makes the idea of an online stock market rather pointless as they spent time creating a separate one for single player. My thoughts are that people are jumping to conclusions because the markets are raising out of coincidence.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Rockstar's gonna ban you or take your money if this is online. This stuff will be regulated.

Precisely. We're only doing this in singleplayer to find out if there's a flaw (and make a profit). The flaw can then be fixed hopefully and nobody will be extremely overpowered with loads of money to burn on more powerful weapons and better vehicles in the initial period following GTA Online's release. They have stated on the website that they anticipate insider trading, so I can't see anything really wrong with it. We're only using what Rockstar have given us to our advantage. If they really have a problem with it, I'm sure they'll be able to take manual control.

The idea of this hub is that we'll analyse the stocks of each company in the analysis threads and plan a sell-off in the trading thread. If all goes to plan, we won't invest all of our money (we don't want to make things unfair for other players, particularly the millions who aren't aware of this forum), but we will invest enough to allow us to try to make a decent profit and gain a better understanding of how the stock market works. 

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Precisely. We're only doing this in singleplayer to find out if there's a flaw (and make a profit). The flaw can then be fixed hopefully and nobody will be extremely overpowered with loads of money to burn on more powerful weapons and better vehicles in the initial period following GTA Online's release. They have stated on the website that they anticipate insider trading, so I can't see anything really wrong with it. We're only using what Rockstar have given us to our advantage. If they really have a problem with it, I'm sure they'll be able to take manual control.

The idea of this hub is that we'll analyse the stocks of each company in the analysis threads and plan a sell-off in the trading thread. If all goes to plan, we won't invest all of our money (we don't want to make things unfair for other players, particularly the millions who aren't aware of this forum), but we will invest enough to allow us to try to make a decent profit and gain a better understanding of how the stock market works. 

But be realistic, why on earth would the amount of people you have on board be enough to "control" a market that will be effected by millions of players?!

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

May I ask a question?

Would it not be much more logical that each company is tied to in game action? wouldn't that be a much more sensible gameplay mechanic than simply how many people are buying shares in the company. There is no market cap for these companies for a start (or so it seems), it isn't going to work like it does in the real world.

How do you know that beta testers (the theory im going with for the time being) aren't increasing the price because they are going to bars and buying drinks? Or raising the HAL stocks because they're buying certain weapons produced by HAL at ammunation? I'm not discussing Pisswasser at all I'm inquiring into the idea of this trading hub as it seems everyone is getting all serious about a virtual stock market expecting it to work as a real life dynamic one does so in the real world.

That's what I was getting at when I said "in some other way affected the stock of the company". I wasn't very clear, sorry! :p

After all, it's been stated multiple times in press previews (and tested by players) that in-game actions have an impact on the stock market. I could go to the airport and blow up FlyUS planes (I tried this before), which would cause AirEmu's stocks to increase. So yes, that's a very plausible theory. :)

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:33 PM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 12:37 PM.

But be realistic, why on earth would the amount of people you have on board be enough to "control" a market that will be effected by millions of players?!

I'm not saying we'll make a huge difference (after all, the Pisswasser stock price has been increasing by a very small amount - usually ranging from 0.01 - 0.15%), but we might make enough of a difference to cause prices that are low to increase. Since Thursday, the Pisswasser price has gone up 5% - and it's still rising! :D

Oh and I forgot to add in my previous reply, when I said about this not being place to comment on Pisswasser, I meant the general discussion of the mechanics of the stock market. That's what the Pisswasser thread is for really. In this thread I just want to get the layout of the sub-threads sorted out and to discuss how the hub will be structured etc.

Sorry if I'm causing confusion with my phrasing! :p

TheDK
  • TheDK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by TheDK, 29 September 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Causton, this is epic. Props to you, this is a very interesting topic!

Avionyx
  • Avionyx

Make mine a Pi▀wasser

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Great to see so much mature thought being put into this, it's something that I'm heavily involved in and am very excited to see it come to GTA V. 

I've put in a request to join the crew and hope I can contribute in some way if ever needed. 

Kudos to all the work that's gone in so far.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:16 PM Edited by Causton97, 29 September 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Causton, this is epic. Props to you, this is a very interesting topic!

Thank you very much! It's going to be difficult fitting in time to manage everything what with my A Levels (I'm not sure what the equivalent is for those of you in the USA - finals?) that I have to focus on, but that's what the management team is for. As the 'leader' of this whole thing (I like to thing of myself as the guy behind organization, not necessarily a leader), I'll assign everyone on the team a thread to maintain so we don't have to keep an eye on loads of different threads at once.

My aim is to have the basic template for each thread created and sent off to Kirsty by next weekend to help me organize them. I don't know how exactly I'd go about creating an indexed thread (is it a mod-only privilege?) but I'm sure she'll give me a hand.

I don't have any idea how an indexed topic works in relation to sub-threads. Would they function in the same way as a normal thread in that whenever someone posts in them, they get pushed back up to to the top of the forum again? IMO that would mean the whole first page of the forum will just be full of threads related to this project, which isn't what I wanted.

WildTurkeyMcGee
  • WildTurkeyMcGee

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

So this is only going to be for single player? I ask because as someone else mentioned, R* has stated that they will work as the "government" in GTAO and will take actions to prevent people from manipulating/abusing the system. If anything, this whole initiative could potentially make R* limit the natural rise and fall of stocks.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've sent FXtrader (AKA PimpPaz on R* social club) a pm asking him to promote me to the rank of Commissioner. Then I'll be able to get you guys added to the crew! Sorry it's taking so long! I assume he's offline right now.. :p

tapz63
  • tapz63

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

So this is only going to be for single player? I ask because as someone else mentioned, R* has stated that they will work as the "government" in GTAO and will take actions to prevent people from manipulating/abusing the system. If anything, this whole initiative could potentially make R* limit the natural rise and fall of stocks.

What's the point of having a stock market if we can't manipulate it?

Jayster94
  • Jayster94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am also interested, I've joined the crew.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Like I say, we're going to be careful with our investments. We won't be greedy. I'm relying on everyone who will be taking part in this 'insider trading' project to not put all of their money in if we decide to plan a mass sell-off. This should be done on a smaller scale to benefit everyone online. So instead of putting in the millions that we're putting in with the Pisswasser thread, we'll invest a maximum of $50,000 per person. We've yet to see how exactly we're going to affect the stock market, but for now, that figure is what I propose as the cap for how much money any of us should invest into any one company. 

This needs to be done fairly so that we don't have too much of an impact. I don't want to be responsible for R* deciding to limit how much stocks rise and fall. I mean, even if prices rise in the same way that they have with  Pisswasser, we'll be making a decent profit. So, (this is a completely random figure, but I think it fits) perhaps about $400,000 after one weekend.

That's another point I wanted to make. The maximum length of time that I would like these mass sell-offs to go on for is one week. That way, we'll make a decent amount of money, but we'll limit the amount of money we make. This will then, hopefully, ensure that everything is balanced and we aren't gaining a huge monetary advantage over other players, especially in the immediate aftermath after the release of GTA Online.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users