Quantcast

» «
Photo

Question about cars and R*?

14 replies to this topic
-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

Ever heard of Tommy Vercetti, sweetheart? You will...

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi everyone we know that R* is making some cars that are close to real ones in real life, but the names are of course are different. I have 2 questions about this,

1- Does anyone know how much money they pay to the owner of the car brands (Such as Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda, Bentley, etc etc.) to use them in games like Grand Turismo / Need for Speed and other race games that actually have original cars?

2- Forget about licensing, can't they copy the "exact same car" (The looks of it) and put it in the game and call it smth else. Like put "ORIGINAL" "F458 Italia" and call it Grotti Italia or just Grotti etc.?

Thanks

reaszon
  • reaszon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

BUMP

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

BUMP

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

BUMP

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by JohnGazman, 28 September 2013 - 08:25 PM.

1- Does anyone know how much money they pay to the owner of the car brands (Such as Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda, Bentley, etc etc.) to use them in games like Grand Turismo / Need for Speed and other race games that actually have original cars?

Not necessarily the point. Do you think Ferrari want to see their cars being advertised in a game where you can have sex with prostitutes in them, perform drive-by's on innocent bystanders and perform other acts of criminality? Imagine the media backlash.

Plus, trying to buy the rights to use real cars would take a massive chunk out of their budget. Especially when people like EA have a monopoly on stuff like Porsche. It took Turn10 ages to broker a deal with EA to get Porsche into Forza 4.

Vega Fve
  • Vega Fve

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

You actually bumped this 3 times in 30 f*cking minutes?

ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

• El Tel likes this

Shinto
  • Shinto

R.I.P KANE '92

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

I don't think brands would want to actually be in gta, the last thing they really want is their cars being used in crime sprees, and running people down. Just my 2 cents though

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Not necessarily the point. Do you think Ferrari want to see their cars being advertised in a game where you can have sex with prostitutes in them, perform drive-by's on innocent bystanders and perform other acts of criminality? Imagine the media backlash.

Plus, trying to buy the rights to use real cars would take a massive chunk out of their budget. Especially when people like EA have a monopoly on stuff like Porsche. It took Turn10 ages to broker a deal with EA to get Porsche into Forza 4.

I don't think brands would want to actually be in gta, the last thing they really want is their cars being used in crime sprees, and running people down. Just my 2 cents though

Thanks, I didn't think about it that way when I posted firstly so you are both right. But what about second question?

RicerDude
  • RicerDude

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Apparently EA bought a Porsche licence for 7 figures. Lamboughini also requires a million pound licence.

Pretty sure Rockstar doesn't pay any licences since they don't use the names of any real brands and the models only slightly resemble the real cars.

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Apparently EA bought a Porsche licence for 7 figures. Lamboughini also requires a million pound licence.

Pretty sure Rockstar doesn't pay any licences since they don't use the names of any real brands and the models only slightly resemble the real cars.

Thanks for the input, I got it know didn't know money was that much and also 2 people said they don't want to see their brand in a game like this so you are all right.

Can you focus on 2nd question :)

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

They'd be sued if they copied the way the cars actually looked.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the input, I got it know didn't know money was that much and also 2 people said they don't want to see their brand in a game like this so you are all right.

Can you focus on 2nd question :)

Don't know for sure but my money would be on there being a patent or a legal clause that says you can't just model a car and then rename it to avoid paying license fees. 

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

They'd be sued if they copied the way the cars actually looked.

I'm not saying %100 copied but like %90. Pretty sure it can happen because there are some cars which are actually very close to the originals.

Such as Comet = Porsche

Obey = Q5, A8, R8 

and a car looks like Aston Martin. etc

Shinto
  • Shinto

R.I.P KANE '92

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

They can't really sue them for that, but if they were to use the brands themselves they'd get sued.

It is like lifeinvader, it's a hell of alot like Facebook just red and with a different name

-TommyVercetti-
  • -TommyVercetti-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

They can't really sue them for that, but if they were to use the brands themselves they'd get sued.

It is like lifeinvader, it's a hell of alot like Facebook just red and with a different name

Yeah thats what I'm saying. They can copy them and make up a different name out of their minds but the car would look %90-95 like the original one. It'd be awesome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users