• Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

And that's enough thank you. 

Admiral, perhaps it's best if you refrain from making judgement calls against people when it's not even necessary; whether you feel El_Diablo was in the wrong or not, you began this little spat of yours by making an off-topic accusation and carried on drilling with it. If you have a problem with someone, report it, don't try and do a moderator's job.

• A J likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:35 PM Edited by AceKingston, 26 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

I don't see the point of arguing over two sports to decide which one is better. Football/soccer is more simpler, American football is more complex, arguing won't change the way each sport plays.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

11.jpg

The following is a picture of one of Britain's greatest athletes.

Your lack of understanding of both British sport and the words "following" and "athlete" is quite impressive.

Regarding the topic at hand, there is no debate because nobody is ever going to be convinced that a sport which they have grown up watching is inferior to a foreign one, and that's why I tend to stay well away from these sorts of topics because they tend to attract pathetic name-calling.

For the record, I played both codes of rugby and enjoy watching American football. Given the choice between American football and rugby I would always plump for American football...

As for the actual title of the thread, that is a horribly stupid debate to have and so I will not pass comment on it any further.

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'm from the UK and I can't stand football/soccer, whatever you want to call it. I used to watch it all the time but seriously it's not even about the football anymore. The sport would be better if, let's say a team like Liverpool, had all it's players from Liverpool. Not f*cking Spain, Italy or France. I mean, that totally f*cking puts me off it. I'm not racist or anything but it's stupid to have a team called Liverpool or Manchester United and have players from all over the world playing for that particular team. The World Cup is the only thing I watch to do with football and even then they're all still a bunch of pussies. They get tapped in the leg and end up crying about it.

I watch Rugby and American Football more now and they take it like a man and play fair, not dirty little cheats like footballers.

• Snoochie_Boochies likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm from the UK and I can't stand football/soccer, whatever you want to call it. I used to watch it all the time but seriously it's not even about the football anymore. The sport would be better if, let's say a team like Liverpool, had all it's players from Liverpool. Not f*cking Spain, Italy or France. I mean, that totally f*cking puts me off it. I'm not racist or anything but it's stupid to have a team called Liverpool or Manchester United and have players from all over the world playing for that particular team. The World Cup is the only thing I watch to do with football and even then they're all still a bunch of pussies. They get tapped in the leg and end up crying about it.

I watch Rugby and American Football more now and they take it like a man and play fair, not dirty little cheats like footballers.

I don't get it. The England rugby team has players who are not English and the NFL has players who are not American, and if you want to make it by "You should be from the city of the team you play for" the examples are really few and far between.

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:47 PM Edited by Muse182, 05 January 2014 - 04:49 PM.

I don't get it. The England rugby team has players who are not English and the NFL has players who are not American, and if you want to make it by "You should be from the city of the team you play for" the examples are really few and far between.

I wasn't saying they weren't. I'm just saying the sports are more interesting to watch. I don't watch them often, I'm not a sports guy but I just watch it more than football.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:49 PM Edited by theadmiral, 05 January 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Name me one player in the England Rugby squad who is not English. Current squad everyone and the manager is English.

Are we talking about actually English or made English for sporting convenience? I guess you consider Vunipola, Corbisieiro, Kvesic, etc local lads?

Much like how England's cricket team is loaded with "English" South Africans.

T0X1C
  • T0X1C

Jukebox F*ckup

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:10 PM Edited by T0X1C, 06 January 2014 - 09:12 PM.

I don't know what the point of this discussion is, it will just lead to conflict. Very few people outside of the US will grow up watching NFL. This was, of course, the case with me. I was raised as a football (soccer) fan, supporting Manchester United. You could say that the reason I'm so into football is because I have an emotional attachment to the team.

I did not grow up watching the NFL or NBA. I don't have a team to support and, therefore, I have no interest in any of these sports. I don't watch hoping to see someone win because I don't really care about any of the teams, for me that takes everything away from the experience. I'm sure there are many who agree with me. I've tried watching them and, quite frankly, they just seem silly to me. There are too many points scored, rules seem weird, etc. Does that make them an inferior sport? Of course not, it's my opinion that has been shaped through years of an obsession with a different sport. The only thing I can hope to get from watching a sport where I have no team to support is entertainment, I honestly don't get that from watching NFL.

Many Americans will say the same thing about football. They don't support a team and so, therefore, they have no interest in it. They feel the same way about my sport as I do about their sport. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Neither sport is inferior to the other, but football is far more popular.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:17 AM Edited by TECHN9CiAN, 03 February 2014 - 08:23 AM.

I personally don't care for "footy", or soccer as its known around here. Almost all of my childhood friends love soccer and got inteoduced to it by their parents or older family members, same as i, but i just couldnt get into it. Its frankly boring to me.

Now american football, thats a sport i love, because its more often-than-not, very exciting and entertaining, but most importantly, its BALANCED!

Now here's what i mean by that:
Soccer, to me, is like the same and the opposite of basket ball, in basketball, another very popular sport, at least in america, there is always scoring from both teams, with games almost always reaching scores of more than 80 points... There is absolutely no defence, just offense, and the game just drags on and on.
And in Soccer, there is very little scoring, with games often ending with scores of less than 3, and sometimes with ties, and no overtime to break the tie. That all to me makes for a boring, continuous linear sport "plot", if you will.

Now american football... Thats an exciting sport! Because of the game being played "play-by-play", it allows for short burst of excitement and dissapointment/rage, depending on who you're rooting for, with breaks in between these plays to allow the fans to have mini celebrations and discuss what just happened as friends watch the game and chat, and go to the bathroom, without fear of missing anything important between plays.

American football, to me, is like watching a game of Chess, but with violent action, something that makes it even more exciting to watch, compared to soccer. Football is just more exciting to watch than soccer. It takes a lot more from both the body and minds of the athletes and coaches, than the act of mindlessly following a soccer ball as its kicked back and forth repeatedly. With so much continuity and repetion, its easy for me to get bored watching it, as there is no sudden rushes of excitwment available from a soccer match, beside maybe the 1 goal per game... If there are any goals made at all.
Whereass with football, you truly never know what to excpect as things can change so fast and suddenly, and with the high chance of injuries (real injuries, unlike the little bitch bumps soccer players take before rolling around in supposed pain in hopes of appearing convincing enough to get a pitty/penalty shot), it just adds to the dynamic ways of american football.

TL;DR: American football is more exciting and fun to watch and play. Deal with it.

EDIT: now, as for the name "football", i dont think american football should use it since the foot hardly touches the ball anyway... Unless of course, the team sucks and has to punt the ball away often or has to settle for field goals when they cant score a touchdown. Soccer is actually FOOTball.
But the name is never gonna change, so i cant say i care much on that matter. :dozing:

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

That text wall is awash with ignorance and doesn't deserve a proper reply. Truly a pathetic bump of a 3 week old topic.

Suffice to say that the problem with comparing these two sports between fans is that often they really don't understand each other's games. There is no convincing either of them and therefore this is pointless.
  • The Gardener likes this

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Extremely pointless topic.

Soccer is way better.

• El Diablo, Shou and The Gardener like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users