Photo

RDR map seems bigger to me than GTA 5's map

64 replies to this topic
Kendoyid
  • Kendoyid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

wtf are you smoking? maybe ur the dude i heard say recently that uk was bigger than the usa

Monkeybiscuit
  • Monkeybiscuit

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yeah the map seems about the same size because of helis in V and horses in RDR, but the maps are definitely different sized.

The scale of each map is about the same relative to the vehicles you can use in each game though.  Although I have to give the edge to V since it has better density of detail.

ryan6265123
  • ryan6265123

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Just think about it. The GTA V map is bigger than real-life Manhattan itself. It's larger than the size of two Liberty Cities combined. Also, in RDR, the game is set in 1911, so the areas were smaller than life today. So, basically, the RDR map is way smaller than the GTA V map.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Because RDR doesn't have cars.

Sneakymist
  • Sneakymist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

I honestly don't understand how this thread is still alive. When GTA V was first announced, Rockstar CLEARLY stated that the GTA V map is bigger than GTA IV, RDR, and San Andreas combined (with room to spare). Now, if the thread is talking about RDR "feeling" bigger than GTA V, then it's all relative and debatable, but in terms of facts and proof, GTA V is the largest map in Grand Theft Auto history. 

ryan6265123
  • ryan6265123

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

I honestly don't understand how this thread is still alive. When GTA V was first announced, Rockstar CLEARLY stated that the GTA V map is bigger than GTA IV, RDR, and San Andreas combined (with room to spare). Now, if the thread is talking about RDR "feeling" bigger than GTA V, then it's all relative and debatable, but in terms of facts and proof, GTA V is the largest map in Grand Theft Auto history. 

Might I also add, the Los Santos portion of the map, alone, is bigger than Manhattan.

lokalboy808
  • lokalboy808

Master of the Universe

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

It was easy to remember all the locations in RDR and SA. I keep getting confused on all the locations in GTA V.
  • Skilpad likes this

lazedout
  • lazedout

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think if you took out the ocean area, V and RDR would be very comparable. Would love to see a factual comparison

KarbzKartel
  • KarbzKartel

It's Just Business

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:41 PM Edited by DDX-GTA, 28 September 2013 - 11:42 PM.

The draw distance in GTA V is very impressive. From the bottom end of LS to behind Mt Chilliad takes about 7 - 10 minutes at (as the game states and from real driving experiences where you could estimate a speed) about 80 - 100 MPH (police intercom from 1 star for the test) so no, the game is not small, or smaller than other games. 

I hate how people expected something unrealistically huge, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ON CURRENT CONSOLE HARDWARE, only possible on next gen or PC. 

Averaging 70 MPH on the game would make top to bottom about 10 minutes or more. Some 'gossipers' tried to claim before the games release that the map would take half an hour to an hour across, IMPOSSIBLE. Well, unless you walk it then no. 

GTA V is big enough, you got an enriched landscape. Ever since IV "Ah, I hate the city, why couldn't it be like SA with a military base, planes and countryside and desert" and you know what, this is what exactly V brings you, plus more, but guess what.... bitch, bitch, bitch. Some people are living in a fantasy world, when will you understand, in the real world you have to think REALISTICALLY. 

There's a fine line between opinionated and stupid. 

If your bored in the air, take a dive in the ocean, I'm sure Mr. Shark will be happy with some company. Hate the city, then scour the desert. Wanna take a break? Try the mountains, bored of that? Explore the swamps or parachute into the military base and get your happy sack shot off. Landscape variety is very distinctive in this game, its about time some appreciate that. 

ManOfDisguise
  • ManOfDisguise

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

The draw distance in GTA V is very impressive. From the bottom end of LS to behind Mt Chilliad takes about 7 - 10 minutes at (as the game states and from real driving experiences where you could estimate a speed) about 80 - 100 MPH (police intercom from 1 star for the test) so no, the game is not small, or smaller than other games. 

I hate how people expected something unrealistically huge, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ON CURRENT CONSOLE HARDWARE, only possible on next gen or PC. 

Averaging 70 MPH on the game would make top to bottom about 10 minutes or more. Some 'gossipers' tried to claim before the games release that the map would take half an hour to an hour across, IMPOSSIBLE. Well, unless you walk it then no. 

GTA V is big enough, you got an enriched landscape. Ever since IV "Ah, I hate the city, why couldn't it be like SA with a military base, planes and countryside and desert" and you know what, this is what exactly V brings you, plus more, but guess what.... bitch, bitch, bitch. Some people are living in a fantasy world, when will you understand, in the real world you have to think REALISTICALLY. 

There's a fine line between opinionated and stupid. 

If your bored in the air, take a dive in the ocean, I'm sure Mr. Shark will be happy with some company. Hate the city, then scour the desert. Wanna take a break? Try the mountains, bored of that? Explore the swamps or parachute into the military base and get your happy sack shot off. Landscape variety is very distinctive in this game, its about time some appreciate that. 

We want space!

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

The map size always had my attention. I wanted to know the measurements of each section of the map so I can find other stuff. Gta 5 map come with a scale at the bottom left corner when you brought the game. Now that I have that, I can experiment with different cars in the game and find out if 100mph really is 100mph, compared to a real life perspective. Gta 4, SA, and RDR dont have one so to find out youll have to take a in-game object and use it as a measurement.

What I already find out is when taking off in a 747, the cops and helicopter follow you and keep up with you as you take off. For a 747 to take off in reality, you would first need about 9000ft on runway at 160 to 180 knots (180 to 200mph) in which Im sure those cars cant do within that amount of time or period. With about 3000ft of runway it was probably scale down 3 times, to fit the games atomsphere.

If you really want to know each map size to compare them, I can tell you how to get started.

the_kid311
  • the_kid311

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

i agree with poster

Reaper21321
  • Reaper21321

King of the Dominion

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

I doubt GTA 5's map is bigger than RDR,San Andres and GTA 4 map combined.

You sure? :lol:

iwm3c9.jpg

...Holy sh*t

EminentDomain17
  • EminentDomain17

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Uhm .. RDR you had a horse. Not a vehicle. Take that into account too.

Erebosgaminghd
  • Erebosgaminghd

Gaming YouTuber

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

Exactly! I think this makes the map feel smaller and I think its a lazy way to do a map. The map needs more variation! More and deeper valleys and maybe more skyscrapers in the city(there is only like 5 which sucks) and a lot of other things.

Yeah. I was hoping for a bigger and denser swampland, swampboats, alligators, 

I got 1 shot by a coyote.... just sayin'.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I agree that RDR feels bigger.  There are a lot more small towns and settlements in RDR, and there are TWO countries.  But I bet the GTA V map is actually a little bit bigger. 

This - the mountains and ocean are sh*tty filler like just cause 2. i would much rather had a bigger LA or more smaller towns,  or medium city at top of the map - one mountain was enough jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

hahaha this topic is funny, I can ride on horseback for 5 minutes and reach one end of the map to another, the same cannot be said for GTAV, and we drive fast cars.. LMAO

Exactly.... whoever posted that comparison picture above is correct.

RDR is WAY smaller than GTA V.. by a long shot.

Go on youtube and check out those videos of the "skyfalling" glitch in RDR and you can see how small the map is.

Marabunta Grande
  • Marabunta Grande

Azul y Blanco

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

It was easy to remember all the locations in RDR and SA. I keep getting confused on all the locations in GTA V.

This. I was about to travel to Tongva Valley to "Jetski" on the river, but I got lost in the very vast countryside.

I was sidetracked by the very peaceful scenery, and the very steep hills prevented me from venturing forth, so I went the other way around...:D gppd ,e,proes/

slydog
  • slydog

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:36 PM Edited by slydog, 29 September 2013 - 12:40 PM.

How about a better comparison like this vs Just Cause 2 or something?

Also:

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

The map is nice and big but it does not feel like the size of RDR, SA and IV combined

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

One reason can also be that RDR is landlocked and all you see in the far distance is land giving the illusion it goes far and beyond whereas like every GTA, GTA V is just a big island.

KarbzKartel
  • KarbzKartel

It's Just Business

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Someone should scale the SA, IV and RDR map to a realistic comparison to fill the GTA V map like R* stated so we can get a real feel of it. 

jaczor
  • jaczor

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, GTA V is huge compared to RDR, the thing with RDR is that you travel by horse, which is a lot slower and that makes it seem a lot larger than it really is. Just look at Blackwater, that's barely a couple of blocks of Los Santos and it's one of the biggest towns in the game.

cjspeed
  • cjspeed

Dead and Divine

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

GTA V's map is bigger than RDR. You don't need physical proof because it's a fact. Whether you think it is or not is irrelevant. It's bigger, end of discussion.

As for the oceans, R* already said there'd be rewards for exploring it. Plus, it's realistic. Anybody that doesn't like it needs to shut up and get over it. Nobody cares whether or not you like the oceans. You've got plenty of land to stick to if that's your thing. But get wet and who knows what you might come across.

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

So now what? Guess what, you're wrong. 

ok I just want some proof somehow that 5's is bigger. like maybe some pic where they measured the scale of both maps or i dunno

ignorance is truly bliss.  Just quite while you're still ahead of the flamers man.

Better yet, follow Harwood-Butcher and taazr's advice. :lol:

R* also confirmed this in press releases when V was announced.

The reason V appears smaller is due to to the mountains and water bodies (with Mt Chiliad in particular being the largest terrain feature on the island map).  These take up a CONSIDERABLE amount of surface area. If you bothered to trek the off road trails, you would find that you'd spend a lot of your time trying to move vertically to a given point (i.e. by climbing, scuba diving/swimming).

Basically if you drained the ocean/lakes, leveled the hilly/mountainous terrain features while preserving their original surface areas, the vast differences in spatial scale would be immediately apparent.

They're talking about SURFACE area, while taking height into account?  I was wondering about that, and I was hoping that wasn't the case...  That's not how you determine the area of land...  The area of land is determined by the FLAT area of x and y, without taking z into account.  If they really judged it by the surface area, and not the actual area, I'd be willing to bet the ACTUAL area is around 1.5x - 2x less than Rockstar says it is.  Because all the mountains, hills, and underwater features add a ton of surface area.

KarbzKartel
  • KarbzKartel

It's Just Business

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

You guys have to admit, you can fly stupidly high in this game, and dive very deep (until you get crushed by the water pressure) that should also be taken into account. Cause if I'm correct, that should also be considered as explorable areas. 

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

More slightly OT: it would have been nice to see deeper and wider rivers and higher waterfalls.

shansha
  • shansha

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

There is a difference between "SEEMS bigger" then "BIGGER". Get it right people.

apoapsis1001
  • apoapsis1001

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

i cant believe this is even being debated.  red deads map is ungodly smaller compared to GTAV. your means of travel are on foot and a f*cking horse. yeah its gonna seem like its taking longer than flying a f*cking hydra military jet across the map. lol. 

shansha
  • shansha

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

i cant believe this is even being debated.  red deads map is ungodly smaller compared to GTAV. your means of travel are on foot and a f*cking horse. yeah its gonna seem like its taking longer than flying a f*cking hydra military jet across the map. lol. 

1st of all it isn't because it is smaller it is that it seems bigger not that is necessarily bigger.
2nd of all it is a lazer not a hydra.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users