Blood Brothers: Derrick choice canon? *contains GTA V spoilers*

15 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

I guess this counts as GTA IV spoilers too so be warned. I'm not using spoiler tags for easier discussion.

We all know in Blood Brothers there's a choice to kill Derrick or Francis, but that's not the real point here. In GTA V Packie is a character you meet through a random event and can use him for heists.

I used him in the Paleto Bay bank job and something interesting caught my attention. On the way to the job they all talk about their first jobs and of course Packie talks about Three Leaf Clover in detail, but then he starts to mention Derrick and says something a long the lines of "god rest his soul".

So it was the canon choice all along? Has anyone noticed this?

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

some type of way

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:38 AM Edited by mr6plow9, 28 September 2013 - 06:39 AM.

I used Packie in the PB heist and picked up on it as well. The way I see it, it could still be either way.

Niko could still spare Derrick and kill Francis, but somewhere down the line while Packie was in LS (since he left soon after the events in IV as seen in the credits of TBOGT) Derrick could have died off screen (od'd on smack I'd presume).

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

mr6plow9 could be on the right way. Derrick was the oldest one and with his taste for smack, cheap alcohols and sleepovers in the parks he could simply die or be killed by another hobo for example.

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

In the game files, multiple choices are labelled as A and B. If you killed Derrick, the game will load cutscene FM6_A in Undertaker. If you killed Francis, it will load FM6_B instead.

Now if Rockstar considers A choices canon, Deal is the true ending.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

It's possible that he could've died in some other way. 

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Could just mean that he's in Ireland and that Packie hasn't heard from him. I mean it has been 5 years anything could happen. At least that's what people keep saying for

Spoiler

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Its the perfect way to tie it up IMO. this way they can leave you to choose who Niko killed. Derrick was a criminal and a drug addict, its not surprise he died. i dont think its canon.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I see what you guys are saying, but it did make me think of that choice. Funnily enough on my recent save of GTA IV Derrick is the one I chose. A timely coincidence.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

Who here actually didn't kill Francis. I killed him without missing a heartbeat.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

I'll choose the truth I like.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Who here actually didn't kill Francis. I killed him without missing a heartbeat.

I killed Derrick. As corrupt and as much of an asshole Francis was, he at least tried to help the community. With Niko's help, he killed Clarence Little, Tom Goldberg and Little's lieutenant. He did it using unconventional methods, sure, but he did it. (1% better, in his words).

Derrick, on the other hand, was a drug addicted snitch and a hypocrite. He made Niko kill Aiden O'Malley and Bucky Sligo for apparently being snitches, when he himself was the snitch all along. Then he stole from the Mafia like an idiot and ran to Ireland. Then, to top it all off, he was prepared to talk to a journalist about his family and rat them out, too. That's why Francis wanted him killed.

I didn't feel bad doing it, either. Derrick was probably suffering. You can see it in his cutscenes, the shaking, the desperation for his drugs. Niko did him a favor.

Just my two cents. :^:

• shadyslady, lol232, Deadly Target and 2 others like this

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

I think the real question is: Is Kate's death cannon? Packie alludes to the fact he hasn't heard from Niko in a while...

If Niko and Kate got married I doubt this would be the case.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:30 AM Edited by Tycek, 16 October 2013 - 07:30 AM.

Don't forget that in both endings Niko and Kate broke up. 

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

When I was playing GTA IV I thought that Niko would have most likely killed Francis but when you think about it him killing Derrick is most likely the canon scenario. Niko would have compassionately killed Derrick to put him out of his misery and the money from Francis would have sweetened the deal. Francis would have also arranged for the charges against Packie to be dropped and allowed him to keep the money. Packie would have then left his mother in Frankie's capable hands and him making commissioner would have somewhat alleviated the pain of her having one (possibly two) dead children and another one in prison.

• Deadly Target and lilchris131 like this

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

As somebody above already said, we'll never know. Derrick could have died offscreen. Or maybe Packie just said "God bless his soul" because he hasn't heard from him for a while.

As Rockstar already said, there are no canon choices for GTA games.

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

I killed Derrick. As corrupt and as much of an asshole Francis was, he at least tried to help the community. With Niko's help, he killed Clarence Little, Tom Goldberg and Little's lieutenant. He did it using unconventional methods, sure, but he did it. (1% better, in his words).

Derrick, on the other hand, was a drug addicted snitch and a hypocrite. He made Niko kill Aiden O'Malley and Bucky Sligo for apparently being snitches, when he himself was the snitch all along. Then he stole from the Mafia like an idiot and ran to Ireland. Then, to top it all off, he was prepared to talk to a journalist about his family and rat them out, too. That's why Francis wanted him killed.

I didn't feel bad doing it, either. Derrick was probably suffering. You can see it in his cutscenes, the shaking, the desperation for his drugs. Niko did him a favor.

Just my two cents. :^:

^Quality post right there.

It was just better to put Derrick out of misery, not to mention, at least Francis is the only one who managed to accomplish something.

Killing Aiden just didn't feel right, I wanted to spare him, but I couldn't.

I always spare Clarence just for his random encounter, it's pretty cool to kill him when he is an 'armed man' unlike where he's not.

The reward is also far better for killing Derrick, I have no idea why so many people chose to kill Francis...

Francis also has moustache...

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

As somebody above already said, we'll never know. Derrick could have died offscreen. Or maybe Packie just said "God bless his soul" because he hasn't heard from him for a while.

As Rockstar already said, there are no canon choices for GTA games.

He actually says "god rest his soul".

• shadyslady likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users