Quantcast

» «
Photo

Your opinion on the storyline? (spoilers)

9 replies to this topic
chuckberry04
  • chuckberry04

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

What are you guys' opinions on the storyline? Did you like it or were you dissapointed somehow and what did you think of the ending?

I don't wanna be burned here as being the next GTA-hater, but personally I'm struggling a bit with some things. I don't even know how to put it, cause I really enjoyed the story, but I think other things made up for the flaws in it, like the amazing characters and interaction between them and the fact that I and many more were really anticipating if someone would die or not.

1. This is my major concern. I know this isn't a movie, but I was wondering.. what if GTAV was a movie? Would it have been a very good one? I think not.. All of us allready knew that Michael was in witness protection and that he probably was a snitch or something before we even had the game. It was also pretty obvious and revealed quickly. So storywise, where is the excitement coming from and where are the big plottwists? Yes, the heists were exciting but I don't really see them as a big storyplayer tho, I think we all knew they were gonna go well in the end and that no major characters would die in the proces. They were of course trying to get rich, but the main storyplot was the tension between the crew and the FIB and Michael and Trevor. Again, I didn't even think about the fact that the FIB could win, especially considering previous GTA's, so this was also pretty predictable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael allready had the deal with the FIB before the heist in the prologue, so he tryed to set up his crew so they would go to jail and he could retire. I think it would'v been better if somehow they made it so that it is only revealed at the end (that he allready made the deal before the heist in the prologue) causing Trevor to really explode. We all know how insane Trevor is so I really having difficulties with the fact Trevor just let it go in option C and they're all like happily together again! I THINK the majority of people chose option C, cause most people like something about every characters etc. I really think R* didn't have the guts to do it here, that in every option a main character dies. I think in C Franklin should've died. Stories are there to trigger emotions right? Well, in the end I missed something, there wasn't a big cligghanger or shocking moment in the finale. I don't even think there was any kind of moment like that in the game. Ok, I could've picked A or B but you know what's gonna happen then anyway and I didn't want that to happen, but good stories are there to surprise you. I'mo it would've been pretty cool if Franklin died himself in option A or B. I didn't really like the way it was presented either, comon.. "pick A, B or C" on you telephone? How cool would it have been if for example in the last mission you have to chose who you are gonna save, or Trevor and Michael turn guns at each other and you can chose who to shoot or after time runs out they shoot themselves. Its really weird to say all this cause I really enjoyed the game, but if I try to look at it objectivally, the story just lacks. From a game like this you have t expect more, if you isolate the story from the rest you realise it ain't much.

2.1. Also, games can hold back on the realism of things but this was a bit too much for me. Games have evolved storywise but this was a step back for me. Michael allready made the deal with the FIB before the 1st heist in the prologue, he sets things up so Trevor and the rest would get caught. I don't find it very realistic that they just let him retire in a bigass house, especially since he still killed people in the prologue.2.2.2. Ok, the FIB is corrupt, but seriously.. was I the only 1 thinking this went too far? In certain missions you kill a sh*tload of people, even FIB people, just to save them from things where the outcome is uncertain anyway. I can't really remember all of it but I do remember the morality of it all felt very biased sometimes, especially for the FIB agents, but also for the main protagonists. Yes yes, it all was very enjoyable but it just didn't feel right, especially if you think about it.

Overall I'm very confused with GTAV. I think this was 1 of the best games I ever played. I really really did like it. But jeez no one can look over all the flaws. I read like 3 reviews and 2 said the same thing about the morality and only had the guts to give it a 9 instead of a 10 for it. It's weird cause I wanna give it a 10 myself, the world, the characters and lots of other stuff definately desorve a 10. But if I see how many complains there are here I really start doubting it if it really desorves the highest score, cause it's definately not perfect. Maybe this is the max they can get out of it and thats why a lot of people complain like it seems a lot is cut out, it's cool if it's that way, but we don't know.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

i found it quite Disappointing  when compared to the likes Of IV And Red Dead.

Alter Ego
  • Alter Ego

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

The fact that Rockstar went for a slightly 'lighter' approach on the story by mainly focusing on the heists and friendship between the protagonists felt like a nice side track from the kind of heavier revenge setting GTA IV and RDR had. I still think the story in GTA V is good. When comparing to movies RDR and GTA IV would make for much better movies. However, when thinking of GTA V as a movie you tend to think of it as a typical Michael Bay flick. I don't think that is really a bad thing. While I regard movies such as Godfather or Pulp Fiction to be the better movies, I still enjoy the occasional movie like Bad Boys or The Rock.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:12 AM Edited by spamtackey, 28 September 2013 - 01:14 AM.

Michael's deal with the FIB is a big concern throughout the game because we don't know how Trevor will react to it. I can't imagine the second mission in North Yankton being anywhere near as interesting without knowing what Trevor was going to find. It was always about how he would react to it and he blew up as expected, including leaving Michael for dead. Up until the very end there is the question of what they'll do after the last heist. Would they go their separate ways or would they not? 

I also had plenty of surprises. I was not expecting to pull a house down off the side of a cliff. I was not expecting Trevor to show up and join Franklin and Lamar at Grove Street. I was definitely surprised when Devin attacked Michael's family and how the Chinese guys came back and took Michael. They weren't "Oh My Gosh! The plot is now completely different!" but they were big moments for me. Not every movie needs a 'plot twist' to be good. Stories are made for a variety of reasons. GTA stories were almost parodies or callbacks to classic movies like Vice City was to Scarface. Where was Vice City's big plot twist? (No Lance doesn't count because he pretty much said he would betray you over the phone). With GTA IV they went a more dark and serious route and experimented with a more realistic portrayal of crime.

GTA V's story felt more like a throwback to classic hollywood. It even mentions it with Michael's Vinewood movie and his reflection on things like training montages. To me the feel was excellent and it fit perfectly. I loved every minute of it. 

Also, Michael pays the FIB agent a monthly fee to be in witness protection. That's why he got to keep his fancy house and all. Lester brings it up while preparing for the jewelry store heist I think. 

pitan666
  • pitan666

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

omfg.. too much text

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

it was good just a bit short, if it was a couple hours longer than I'm sure it would be the best out of all gta's

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:31 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 28 September 2013 - 01:31 AM.

Loved it, but as people have said, it felt pretty short.

It didn't have bowling to pad out the story. That's the main problem there. With bowling in between missions, game would feel much, much longer.

ACR
  • ACR

Finger f*ck bitches with Freddy Krueger gloves on.

• Members
  • China

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael allready had the deal with the FIB before the heist in the prologue, so he tryed to set up his crew so they would go to jail and he could retire. I think it would'v been better if somehow they made it so that it is only revealed at the end (that he allready made the deal before the heist in the prologue) causing Trevor to really explode. We all know how insane Trevor is so I really having difficulties with the fact Trevor just let it go in option C and they're all like happily together again!

This is what bothers me also, i mean every criminal would either cut the ties with someone who betrays him or just get revenge for betrayal, knowing how Trevor is dangerous and psychotic you would think that he would definitely kill Michael, but in the C option they agreed they will be friends like nothing happened in the past and Michael actually set up Trevor and Brad to be either captured or killed. This is major plot hole IMO which it seems R* made on purpose where Trevor is acting almost passively (yea he is angry at Michael, but he should just put him in the dirt because he sold them to feds) toward Michael's betrayal for the sake of happy ending.

TheDon856
  • TheDon856

I am the one who knocks

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

I thought the story was great over all. Very different than the other games in the series. This time around you already knew the right people and the right ways to make money. All the missions were amazing and different. The only thing I did not like was the endings. Even the "happy" ending wasn't all that great. It just felt unfinished and too easy.. 

JumpingKentFlash
  • JumpingKentFlash

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

GTA V was the first time they did a multiple protag story. I thought it was great, though a tad short, and we're used to crawling deeper under the skin of the protag. I hope they do it again next time around, but with a crew that's more "together", like 3 NJ mafia guys or something. R* always does those mobsters as good as Scorsese. Ray Boccino was so fun in IV.

It was a good story in V, one of their best, but there is, luckily, room for improvement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users