Photo

Vehicle repetition

16 replies to this topic
goofyco
  • goofyco

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

GTA V has a lot of different cars in each category (SUVs, sedans, sport cars etc.) The problem is that only a very limited number of models will appear at the same time.

If I am driving in Rockford Hills for example, it would be nice to see 5-6 different sport and super sport cars but there will be only 1-2 different models in ridiculous numbers. This is the same with all types of vehicles in Los Santos and the rural areas and I hate this!

Can somebody explain to me why Rockstar has designed the game like that? Is the game requiring less computing power for example?

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think it's just something in the script. Like how they made it so if you're driving a car the car will become more popular so there would be an easy chance of getting another if it gets damaged/blown up. Maybe those cars spawn and then trigger the same models to spawn as a bug/glitch or something which then reaches the limit so no more cars can spawn in the area.

Just guessing..

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hardware memory limitation, only so many different types of car can be held in memory for spawning.
The real answer to it unfortunately.
Could hold more with PCs depending on your hardware but it will have been programmed for the lowest common denominator so will be the same on it too.
  • Azazel and wallpaper42 like this

goofyco
  • goofyco

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

If you are right and its not for technical reasons than it would be really better to get rid of this script.

They have put so much effort in all the cars and this script ruins the car traffiic realism in Los Santos. I don't see a big advantage when I can drive another Canis Mesa after the first one was destroyed. I could also take every other SUV or offroad vehicle. And even if its a disadvantages, realism and less repetition is much more imprtant. Bad choice Rockstar!

I think it's just something in the script. Like how they made it so if you're driving a car the car will become more popular so there would be an easy chance of getting another if it gets damaged/blown up. Maybe those cars spawn and then trigger the same models to spawn as a bug/glitch or something which then reaches the limit so no more cars can spawn in the area.

Just guessing..

Omar Comin
  • Omar Comin

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

It genuinely doesn't bother me, it's one of those things I've just learnt to accept in the world of GTA.

goofyco
  • goofyco

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:14 AM Edited by goofyco, 27 September 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Memory limitations, sounds plausible..

Always the same models will appear on the roads at the same time but at least in different paints and some with trailers attached ;-)

Hardware memory limitation, only so many different types of car can be held in memory for spawning.
Could hold more with PCs depending on your hardware but it will have been programmed for the lowest common denominator so will be the same on it too.

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Memory limitations, sounds plausible..

Always the same models will appear on the roads at the same time but at least in different paints and some with trailers attached ;-)

The parts and trailers are just loaded at the same time, the cars will have a predetermined pool wth set colours which are then chosen at random and the trailers and things like different bullbars for example are already part of the model data and chosen at random also.

It has never really changed since GTAIII in that respect.

Personaly I could load the whole game into RAM on my PC, then no two cars need ever be the same. But they will have only allowed for the minimum spec machines (whatever the Minimum specs for PC turn out to be) on that front if they even bother changing it from the settings used for the consoles.

Currently enjoying V on my PS3 though. :)

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Est. MMXV

• Zaibatsu
  • Italy
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

It's not Rockstar's fault.. it's just that the consoles have certain limitations you have to work with.

007_eleven
  • 007_eleven

The 80's are never over!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

As other posters have already said, it's not a purposeful decision, but the memory can't handle loading up many variations of vehicles, it's been that way throughout the GTA franchise. Also certain areas are scripted to spawn certain types of cars for authenticity, i.e you will see luxury sports cars in Rockford Hills and pickup trucks in the country.

anon123
  • anon123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

If you are right and its not for technical reasons than it would be really better to get rid of this script.

They have put so much effort in all the cars and this script ruins the car traffiic realism in Los Santos. I don't see a big advantage when I can drive another Canis Mesa after the first one was destroyed. I could also take every other SUV or offroad vehicle. And even if its a disadvantages, realism and less repetition is much more imprtant. Bad choice Rockstar!

They could use low poly cars to allow for more variation in the traffic but then you would be complaining about the cars being crap quality, there has to be some compromises in every sandbox game on this generation of consoles, that's just the way it is.

Vulgar_Monkey
  • Vulgar_Monkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Has anyone else noticed the traffic spawning get significantly worse as the game goes on?

Perhaps I just didnt notice at first, but iirc early game had a reasonable variation of different car models. This is something I specifically looked out for as GTA4 was well known for having a limited pool due to the aforementioned memory limitations, and I imagine GTA5 still handles spawning in much the same way.

However, post-completion I seem to be seeing lampadi felons and canis mesas everywhere I look. This was definitely not the case earlier on.

Lapdance
  • Lapdance

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I am buying a Jeep Wrangler, just saying...

wallpaper42
  • wallpaper42

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

This is what it is. It's not a "bug" so don't expect a fix. I sure was amazed at the variety of cars at the beginning of the game though. Too bad it didn't last. Bring on the PC version!

DeadstarHorizon
  • DeadstarHorizon

Claude Speed's Father

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Has anyone else noticed the traffic spawning get significantly worse as the game goes on?

Perhaps I just didnt notice at first, but iirc early game had a reasonable variation of different car models. This is something I specifically looked out for as GTA4 was well known for having a limited pool due to the aforementioned memory limitations, and I imagine GTA5 still handles spawning in much the same way.

However, post-completion I seem to be seeing lampadi felons and canis mesas everywhere I look. This was definitely not the case earlier on.

I have the same problem. Even down to the repeated spawns of Canis Mesas and Felons at the end of the game. Post story, it seems to lock itself to just 4 or 5 vehicles that spawn everywhere. I've figured out that clearing the system cache seems to solve the problem temporarily.

Banana Duck
  • Banana Duck

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well why was it not so bad gta 4, I wouldn't be bothered if it was sports cars spawning, but 6-10 SUVs in one area? Really?

Vulgar_Monkey
  • Vulgar_Monkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

This is what it is. It's not a "bug" so don't expect a fix. I sure was amazed at the variety of cars at the beginning of the game though. Too bad it didn't last. Bring on the PC version!

Well that's just the thing. If it is able to have a moderate variety of vehicles held to memory early on, it should be able to do so later. The key thing here is that the spawning mechanic isnt consistent.

It isnt like progressing in the game means there are suddenly lots of other factors competing for the same memory allocation. Makes me wonder if it isnt partially due to some kind of memory leak tbh.

wallpaper42
  • wallpaper42

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Well that's just the thing. If it is able to have a moderate variety of vehicles held to memory early on, it should be able to do so later. The key thing here is that the spawning mechanic isnt consistent.

It isnt like progressing in the game means there are suddenly lots of other factors competing for the same memory allocation. Makes me wonder if it isnt partially due to some kind of memory leak tbh.

It's probably remembering all the things you've done in the story that changed the game world that it didn't have to worry about in the beginning. Kind of like Skyrim but probably not as bad. Also having three characters to switch from at anytime can't be helping. You switch from Franklin to Trevor and even though you are on the other side of the map it is still remembering what you were driving with Franklin and where he is in case you switch back.

At the beginning of the game it only really needs to keep track of one character and the game world is a blank canvas. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users