Photo

Why are so many people avoiding cheats?

51 replies to this topic
robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Cheats, as far as I'm concerned, are as big a part of the GTA experience as anything else in the game. They are a bit lame this time, not even having weapon cheats, but if I need to go across the map and would prefer to fly there I'll happily tap in the cheat for the Buzzard and fly there, instead of wasting my time going all the way to my hanger first, or if I destroy my car in the middle of nowhere, it makes sense to me to spawn a dirt-bike rather than run for 5 minutes to get to the nearest road/taxi.

How come I keep reading comments about how people are set on not using any cheats, or they make sure to use a different game-save or whatever? As far as I know it doesn't prevent 100% (which I'd assume would have been the only reason).

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Maybe because you can't save them into your phone, and once you die they're gone. To me it's not worth putting in a 12 button input to "lower wanted level" when by the time I have got it the cops will have already killed me.

• GamerPatriot likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I don't cheat because I have to remember stupid button sequences. Give me phone numbers I can input once then select from a list.

loudanddumb
  • loudanddumb

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

game is too easy already

Sylis.coyl
  • Sylis.coyl

GT: Preparation G

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Because cheats are for experimenting with once you've completed your goals. I do intend to mess around with them eventually but for now I'm completely content without them
  • Hamsterbaffle, Scar3dGam3r, Jack Parkinson and 1 other like this

YaDoesntHaveToCallMeRay
  • YaDoesntHaveToCallMeRay

Releasing The Inner Geek

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

For regular gameplay....HELL NO! That's for pizza faced kids! :lol: :lol:

• LTDHO likes this

Eddie_1100
  • Eddie_1100

In the deep end

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Because cheats are for experimenting with once you've completed your goals. I do intend to mess around with them eventually but for now I'm completely content without them

pretty much this, kinda miss all the crazy cheats they used to have.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I avoided cheats in this game because it disables achievements. After 100% that's where I started having fun with them.

• riksterinto, 92jani and funbus like this

Hamsterbaffle
  • Hamsterbaffle

Princeps

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

So much of the storytelling and character development in this game are left up to the player's imagination, and I am a willing participant in making it feel more genuine for myself. Michael, Trevor, and Frank are not magicians, so they don't get to conjure vehicles out of thin air, or heal themselves instantly for free. It's my way of appreciating the game, which involves learning rules and excelling within those limitations.

Maybe I'll use cheats some day when I don't care anymore. For now, cheating feels like just skipping to the end of the book, or watching a movie on fast forward because I'm too impatient to accept the artwork as it is presented.

• funbus likes this

1892grey
  • 1892grey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Because I feel better knowing I beat the game without cheating
  • 92jani and funbus like this

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Cheats, as far as I'm concerned, are as big a part of the GTA experience as anything else in the game. They are a bit lame this time, not even having weapon cheats, but if I need to go across the map and would prefer to fly there I'll happily tap in the cheat for the Buzzard and fly there, instead of wasting my time going all the way to my hanger first, or if I destroy my car in the middle of nowhere, it makes sense to me to spawn a dirt-bike rather than run for 5 minutes to get to the nearest road/taxi.

How come I keep reading comments about how people are set on not using any cheats, or they make sure to use a different game-save or whatever? As far as I know it doesn't prevent 100% (which I'd assume would have been the only reason).

The only cheats I ever used were for Armor and Guns/Ammo. Now that you keep the weapons (unless arrested...and I never let myself get arrested) and the fact that you can easily afford the weapons and ammo. I dont bother with the cheats.. I actually like the fact I dont have to bother with it.

• Scar3dGam3r likes this

robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

But the cheats can't be used during missions anyway, and none of the cheats really help with anything other than enjoyment during free-roam, so it's not like it is making completing the game any easier. Are you guys seriously telling me if you were stuck in the mountains or middle of the desert with no vehicle you would spend ages walking to the nearing road than put in a 2 second code to avoid wasting time?

I think the Buzzard is great fun, to have one on call whenever I feel like it is wonderful.

Readthisifurghey
  • Readthisifurghey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

I try to get as much usage out of a good game as possible.

As I am going through my first play-through, I don't use cheats to unlock things so that as I progress and stumble across new items/cars/guns whatever, they are actually new and exciting to me.

Once I have beaten the game and it is starting to lose its luster, then I usually pull out the cheats to get some added new excitement to the mix.

• Hamsterbaffle likes this

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

But the cheats can't be used during missions anyway, and none of the cheats really help with anything other than enjoyment during free-roam, so it's not like it is making completing the game any easier. Are you guys seriously telling me if you were stuck in the mountains or middle of the desert with no vehicle you would spend ages walking to the nearing road than put in a 2 second code to avoid wasting time?

I think the Buzzard is great fun, to have one on call whenever I feel like it is wonderful.

You said it yourself....free roam. How is walking (Hiking is apart of the game) to the nearest road wasting time? Sounds more like youre trying to rationalize why you have to put in codes compared to the majority that no longer see the need for it.

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

Masked Maniacal Man Mass Murders Millions, Maybe, Man

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

I've never been big into cheats in any game, honestly.

Only two games I can ever remember using cheats for are The Sims (who didn't?) and Majesty (because damn, those Expert levels can be rough).

Ninjambie
  • Ninjambie

I got riders... you know who you are.

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

As far as I know it doesn't prevent 100% (which I'd assume would have been the only reason).

Cheats halt achievement progress. As soon as you enter a cheat it stops you from getting any achievements until you restart the game.

Hardcore1982
  • Hardcore1982

Dirty Harry

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:46 PM Edited by Hardcore1982, 26 September 2013 - 08:47 PM.

I am also not big into cheats and didn't use them in the earlier GTA games.

I have more fun using what I can find and also to fail on a rampage or stunttour and just die.

Only games I used cheats were Goldeneye Multiplayer for N64 just for fun after I earned them and Doom2.

The last level is a a pain in the ass IDKFA and IDDQD all the way for this level.

Crunch McThornbody
  • Crunch McThornbody

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

I love playing games with cheats, I see them as just another dimension to the gameplay, but right now I haven't used any on GTA V because I know when I start to use them I won't stop, certain things will be too easy to achieve like getting a heli or bike or car anywhere, it's like seeing an amazing magicians trick and you just can't figure out how they did it but when you learn how it's done the 'magic' has gone.

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

..because the cheats aren't as cool and game-altering like in San Andreas. They just help me unlock stuff I already have unlocked..

Ped Riots were fun.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:54 PM Edited by blackrooster_, 26 September 2013 - 11:00 PM.

I never used cheats on GTA IV and I haven't used any on V yet. The only cheat that I'm interested in so far is the Slidey Cars one, because I dislike the downgrade in driving mechanics. For the most part, though, I've never found cheats to be much fun, except for maybe the Flying Cars cheat in whatever past game that was.

If you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and lose your car, why not just reload your game? And ... how are you losing your vehicle anyway? The damage mechanics are so pedestrian now, you'd really have to ditch it in the water to become stranded.

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

I remember in Vice City as a child I used to put in the tank cheat over and over and there would be a big exploding pile of tanks. Cheats have always been great in GTA, with this one not so much it seems. That said, I haven't used any yet but I have looked at which ones there are. I'll mess around with the cheats after I finish everything else. To me it's always sort of been like a nice extra. Once you've done everything, all that's left to do is mess around in free roam, and that's where the cheats excel. Also, it's nice to know that once you've truly done every story thing, there is one thing left to do: the cheats. I always keep a cheat free save file though.

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Because it's not that interesting to me. Because I just don't play that way (or even think that way, honestly). Not that I think there's anything wrong with it or anything. I don't care how other people want to play thier game if it doesn't actually have an impact on me. But, if I'm stuck or lost on top of a mountain or in the middle of nowhere I will absolutely walk. You miss a lot when you're always in a hurry. Exploration is always my favorite pass-time in games like this. Besides, if really lost and getting tired of roaming outside of civilization you can always switch to one of the other two characters.

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

I never used cheats on GTA IV and I haven't used any on V yet. The only cheat that I'm interested in so far is the Slidey Cars one, because I dislike the downgrade in driving mechanics. For the most part, though, I've never found cheats to be much much, except for maybe the Flying Cars cheat in whatever past game that was.

If you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and lose your car, why not just reload your game? And ... how are you losing your vehicle anyway? The damage mechanics are so pedestrian now, you'd really have to ditch it in the water to become stranded.

I lose my vehicle in the middle of nowhere all the time. Sometimes I drive carefully and sometimes just very recklessly. I'll be going off road purposefully without hitting the brakes too much and jumping over hills and stuff, or just driving right off a raised highway. The most common thing for me is having the wheels blocked to the point where the car becomes pretty useless. I've lost a few in the LA river storm drains too in deeper places. I haven't used any cheats yet though, I'm a patient person and there's almost always a road within a minute of walking or less.

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Because it's not that interesting to me. Because I just don't play that way (or even think that way, honestly). Not that I think there's anything wrong with it or anything. I don't care how other people want to play thier game if it doesn't actually have an impact on me. But, if I'm stuck or lost on top of a mountain or in the middle of nowhere I will absolutely walk. You miss a lot when you're always in a hurry. Exploration is always my favorite pass-time in games like this. Besides, if really lost and getting tired of roaming outside of civilization you can always switch to one of the other two characters.

Yeah, there's so many things in GTA that you will miss if you always get back on a road as quickly as possible. Cheats can be useful for exploration though, in San Andreas I probably discovered most easter eggs with a jepack strapped to my back. When I'm done with all the missions and strangers I'll probably spawn a dirtbike now and then to ride around.

janzdott
  • janzdott

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

While cheats are fun, they're called cheats for a reason.  It's cheating.  I prefer to beat the game 100% without cheats, and with auto aim off.  It's more fun if it's challenging IMO.  I wish they'd have a difficulty setting, because the game is still way too easy for me.  But after I get 100%, I create 2 save files.  One for using cheats, and one for not using them.

Em_Kayz
  • Em_Kayz

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Stops you gaining trophies..

-Murder-
  • -Murder-

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've never been big into cheats in any game, honestly.

Only two games I can ever remember using cheats for are The Sims (who didn't?) and Majesty (because damn, those Expert levels can be rough).

Majesty was amazing when it came out, I played that game so much.

jointmasta
  • jointmasta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:51 PM Edited by jointmasta, 26 September 2013 - 10:52 PM.

people dont use cheats anymore cause you really dont need to. back in the old versions when you lost all your weapons after a death it made a lot of sense.

the only ones id imagine using nowadays would be spawn a vehicle for when you out in the boonies and your car breaks down .....  or lose wanted level but then the game is boring. but if you need a cheat to lose your wanted level you then you dont deserve to play GTA.

Longtonguehuey
  • Longtonguehuey

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

You don't sh*t in a freshly bought pair of undercrackers.... no matter how nice it may feel.
  • austintrain likes this

Sordidjaws
  • Sordidjaws

Heist Planner

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

I only use cheats after I complete the game, and use it as a separate game save. Still waiting on them to crack the invincibility cheat so I can cause some REAL damage without dying instantly

• nexoric likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users