Photo

GTAO: Heists and robberies explained.

143 replies to this topic
ImNotStevie
  • ImNotStevie

Undercover LSPD... I Mean Burgershot Cashier

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

The heists will be amazing. My friends already planning how they are going to do the heists. #Cantwait

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Well, assuming there is a source to this (as otherwise it is speculation), I would love this to see this as the heist mechanics.

Another question: When the leader first assigns roles and tasks to their crew, how long does the game give them to acquire their items (i.e. to procure a helicopter) and what happens if a member drops out during this stage? Can other members go get the helicopter for them? Is the pre-heist prep stage also outside of the free-roam server?

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

There are also measures in place to prevent abuse of the system. Specific details won't be shared, but players will not be able to redo the same missions over and over again to keep getting the same payout and skill points every time. Rockstar wants players to always experience something new in GTAO and things like "stat padding" have been thought of in advance and will not be tolerated.

Does this mean that if my heist go wrong and I get little money (Like getting 100k instead of 1 million from Jewel Store Heist) there is no way to try again?

Of course there is. Heists are level capped, so the higher up in skill level you become then the less you make on lower level heists. There is obviously replay value and the ability to do a heist multiple ways, but as I said, Rockstar knows the ways in which players may attempt to stat pad, and has implemented methods to stop them and make the payout not worth the effort.

Looks nice :) If I understand you correctly I should do heists as soon as they become available when I'm at low level to get max money.

Few more questions:

1) Do NPCs hired for heists gain more skills after successful heist?

2) Is number of players\npcs on heist fixed like in single player or can we choose the number of gunman, drivers, hackers etc... ?

3) Are there any risks involved in doing heists? Like paying for hospitals etc.. or is it just like in SP missions?

Thanks for your info :)

Heists are level capped, meaning at first you are restricted to heists within your skill level. As your skill goes up, you can do harder and bigger heists. The level cap effects only the leader of the heist. So if a heist is above your level, but a person with a higher level than you invites you to join it, you can still join it. You just can't lead the mission and do the planning. There is a feature to prevent stat padding of XP though, so people with high levels can't invite their lower level friends into big heists just for the sake of leveling them fast. Hope this makes sense.

1) Good question, but don't know. Will attempt to find out for you. I'm not sure if using them is a one-off thing, or if they gain skill. Based on the fact that you can meet new contacts in free roam and use them for heists, I would imagine that yes, they do gain skill.

2) Kind of. Say heist requires only 5 gunmen, you do not have to use all 5. Certain jobs of the heist must be filled, like the getaway driver. 

3) It's like story mode. You can lose money depending on how you perform, but if everyone dies you just fail and have to start over. The leader can set certain parameters beforehand, such as how many times you can die before losing. 

• Myrten likes this

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

Wait what? ... I thought heists were the main part of gtao?.. Darn... I was following you all the way up until that. So are you saying we can only do small stuff like rob a liquor store at launch? I'm confused again.

Basically, yes. You will be limited at first as everything gets up and running. But there is plenty to do in free roam, not to mention classic modes, that will keep you busy.

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Well, assuming there is a source to this (as otherwise it is speculation), I would love this to see this as the heist mechanics.

Another question: When the leader first assigns roles and tasks to their crew, how long does the game give them to acquire their items (i.e. to procure a helicopter) and what happens if a member drops out during this stage? Can other members go get the helicopter for them? Is the pre-heist prep stage also outside of the free-roam server?

Just like in story mode, planning has a lock on it once you decide what to do and put it into action. Obviously R* had to account for the possibility of someone just going offline and dropping out. If that happens, their role is automatically replaced with an NPC, but you have to pick up their slack when it comes to acquiring assets. In the event of an NPC getaway driver, they do not actually drive, but they will have the getaway vehicle ready and waiting as planned, so either you or a crew member has to jump in and take the wheel.

Heists can actually be selected in free roam, or you can choose directly from them. Once you unlock the planning board AND have a safe house "big enough" to use it in, you go over all the planning in free roam inside your safe house. Acquiring assets in the planning phase actually takes place in free roam.

So, for example, say one of your tasks is to go take pictures of a bank for Lester to analyze, then you will do that in free roam if that task is assigned to you and there will be other players just randomly around you that have nothing to do with the job whatsoever.

The tasks assigned to people in the heist show up in their free roam world and are visible only to them. To other players around you, it will just look like you're randomly stealing a helicopter. They will have no idea what you're doing and what you're using that chopper for.

The heist leader can cancel tasks and reassign them if needed.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

It would be amusing if two players had to steal the same helicopter as part of a heist prep. First come, first served!

Another question: When an invite is sent for a heist job and a friend accepts, do they appear at the safehouse, near the safehouse or can they make their own way there?

Myrten
  • Myrten

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

There are also measures in place to prevent abuse of the system. Specific details won't be shared, but players will not be able to redo the same missions over and over again to keep getting the same payout and skill points every time. Rockstar wants players to always experience something new in GTAO and things like "stat padding" have been thought of in advance and will not be tolerated.

Does this mean that if my heist go wrong and I get little money (Like getting 100k instead of 1 million from Jewel Store Heist) there is no way to try again?

Of course there is. Heists are level capped, so the higher up in skill level you become then the less you make on lower level heists. There is obviously replay value and the ability to do a heist multiple ways, but as I said, Rockstar knows the ways in which players may attempt to stat pad, and has implemented methods to stop them and make the payout not worth the effort.

Looks nice :) If I understand you correctly I should do heists as soon as they become available when I'm at low level to get max money.

Few more questions:

2) Is number of players\npcs on heist fixed like in single player or can we choose the number of gunman, drivers, hackers etc... ?

3) Are there any risks involved in doing heists? Like paying for hospitals etc.. or is it just like in SP missions?

Heists are level capped, meaning at first you are restricted to heists within your skill level. As your skill goes up, you can do harder and bigger heists. The level cap effects only the leader of the heist. So if a heist is above your level, but a person with a higher level than you invites you to join it, you can still join it. You just can't lead the mission and do the planning. There is a feature to prevent stat padding of XP though, so people with high levels can't invite their lower level friends into big heists just for the sake of leveling them fast. Hope this makes sense.

1) Good question, but don't know. Will attempt to find out for you. I'm not sure if using them is a one-off thing, or if they gain skill. Based on the fact that you can meet new contacts in free roam and use them for heists, I would imagine that yes, they do gain skill.

2) Kind of. Say heist requires only 5 gunmen, you do not have to use all 5. Certain jobs of the heist must be filled, like the getaway driver. 

3) It's like story mode. You can lose money depending on how you perform, but if everyone dies you just fail and have to start over. The leader can set certain parameters beforehand, such as how many times you can die before losing. 

Sounds very promising, thanks for this info :)

Sorry for a small off-topic but can you also answer these questions:

1) Does level affect actual character strength or is it only about available missions/weapons? Can level 1 player possibly kill level 50 player?

2) Can I have 'private freeroam' with only my character?

3) Are there any collectibles like hidden cash packages, guns etc... in GTA:O?

l4ith
  • l4ith

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

CAN WE BE POLICE OFFICERS?!?! D:

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

It would be amusing if two players had to steal the same helicopter as part of a heist prep. First come, first served!

Another question: When an invite is sent for a heist job and a friend accepts, do they appear at the safehouse, near the safehouse or can they make their own way there?

The asset thing can't happen as the server won't allow it.

Once an invite is accepted, the actual occurrence of going to the planning phase doesn't happen until the leader is ready and all potential members have accepted to be a part of the crew. Everything is done via the cell phone, and once a player gets into free roam they will receive the notice that the leader is ready and can then make their way to the safe house. You can use a cab for fast travel, or make your way there on your own. Once everyone arrives at the safe house the mission starts and planning/asset gathering begins. The leader is able to make changes on the fly, so if a player gets an invite but takes forever to arrive he can be kicked out and replaced. In order to get an invite a player MUST be online and in the game.

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

Few more questions:

1) Does level affect actual character strength or is it only about available missions/weapons? Can level 1 player possibly kill level 50 player?

1) It works exactly like in story mode. A players rank doesn't determine things like strength, stamina, and shooting ability. So yea, you CAN be stronger than another person in a fist fight, you CAN out run someone who is chasing you, and you CAN have better weapon accuracy than other people. A player can train their skill however they want, it all depends on what they choose to do in the game.

2) Not in the sense you're thinking about. There is something known as passive mode, which still puts you in a server with other people, but you can not be engaged or bothered if you don't want to be. If you attack someone in this mode, they can attack you back.

3) Of course ;) Let's just say that the whole UFO thing everyone is so bothered about will finally come to fruition in GTAO.

• Myrten likes this

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Yea, this was discussed a long time ago. 

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

You did say that "acquiring assets in the planning phase actually takes place in free roam" so the server shouldn't be restricting that surely?

I assumed that a "get the helicopter" asset acquisition would just be any helicopter, allowing free-roam.

If it was a particular helicopter then it must be private session, rather than free-roam, or other players might take that helicopter and ruin the acquisition mini-mission, i.e. the helicopter would already be gone.

l4ith
  • l4ith

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:12 AM Edited by l4ith, 27 September 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Yea, this was discussed a long time ago. 

I just wanted confirmation.

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!

But I don't want to feel like I am trolling other people's heists. And how does it work with NPC police officers? Are you 'allied' with them?!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mason27
  • Mason27

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

Few more questions:

1) It works exactly like in story mode. A players rank doesn't determine things like strength, stamina, and shooting ability. So yea, you CAN be stronger than another person in a fist fight, you CAN out run someone who is chasing you, and you CAN have better weapon accuracy than other people. A player can train their skill however they want, it all depends on what they choose to do in the game.

2) Not in the sense you're thinking about. There is something known as passive mode, which still puts you in a server with other people, but you can not be engaged or bothered if you don't want to be. If you attack someone in this mode, they can attack you back.

3) Of course ;) Let's just say that the whole UFO thing everyone is so bothered about will finally come to fruition in GTAO.

#3 is gonna get a lot of people worked up.  You thought you were being called a troll before, just wait till the Jetpack thread catches wind of this comment.  Good luck.  

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:21 AM Edited by MactoTillDeath, 27 September 2013 - 12:25 AM.

You did say that "acquiring assets in the planning phase actually takes place in free roam" so the server shouldn't be restricting that surely?

I assumed that a "get the helicopter" asset acquisition would just be any helicopter, allowing free-roam.

If it was a particular helicopter then it must be private session, rather than free-roam, or other players might take that helicopter and ruin the acquisition mini-mission, i.e. the helicopter would already be gone.

Yes, it's completely random. When I said "the server won't allow it," I mean there is no way to NOT acquire a helicopter. There will ALWAYS be one available, it's statistically guarantee. If needed, a player can even BUY a helicopter and have it delivered to them if that's really what they want to do.

You need to think in terms of scope. The likelihood of running into another player attempting to steal the exact same helicopter as you at the exact same time, given the number of players, size of the world, and total number of available helicopters spawned in free roam at any one time is unlikely.

And like you said, first come first served. If you happen to go to the airport or a helipad somewhere and notice someone, coincidentally, taking the helicopter you were intending to take, then you simply need to find another one or wait.

Think like a programmer, bud. ;)

ukgta94
  • ukgta94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Is there anything to prevent say, myself, camping outside of a bank or a jewellery store with full armour and some weapons, waiting until other players are finished doing a heist, kill a couple, steal 2 or 3x the money they'd get per person for the heist then f*cking off with their cash? Are there any repercussions to this approach?

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

Think like a programmer, bud. ;)

ok, thanks very much for your answers Macto. I was thinking like a programmer when I questioned your original "server won't allow it" answer, which didn't make sense, but thanks for your clarification anyway.

If on Tuesday, what you have described comes to fruition I will be a very happy man! In the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for official info as it's hopefully revealed before Live date. Looking forward to the first review of GTA Online! :)

Myrten
  • Myrten

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

1)So the only thing rank affects are available weapons/missions?

2)Can I be in passive mode everytime I want  as long as I don't attack any player or does the game force me out of this mode in some cases? Let's say I robbed Union Depository and have $40 million in cash - can I stay in passive mode after I finish the heist and before I deposit this cash in ATM?

3)Are cash packages\guns in the same locations as in SP :D? In that case I expect them to be very crowded when GTAO launch :D

4)Are there any missions affecting stocks like Lester's Assassination missions in SP?

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Few more questions:

#3 is gonna get a lot of people worked up.  You thought you were being called a troll before, just wait till the Jetpack thread catches wind of this comment.  Good luck.  

I didn't say "jetpack" did I?

If there's a jetpack in story mode, I know nothing about it and don't really care. I'll leave that for them. I personally don't follow that thread ;)

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Is there anything to prevent say, myself, camping outside of a bank or a jewellery store with full armour and some weapons, waiting until other players are finished doing a heist, kill a couple, steal 2 or 3x the money they'd get per person for the heist then f*cking off with their cash? Are there any repercussions to this approach?

Won't work. I described the process earlier.

The transition from a mission back to free roam will never put you back in a server with some one waiting to do what you said. If required, a server instance will be created and only you and your crew will appear in it.

So, say, you have to get in a gun battle on the streets, it will only happen on a server where no one else is around at the moment it occurs. That way it seems more realistic. Next you know, random players hear on the radio that there's a heated gun battle going on outside the union depository and they rush over to see what's up.

AFG RUS
  • AFG RUS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Is the free roam still a place where you can mess around killing people or you just get bad sport for everything

ukgta94
  • ukgta94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

The transition from a mission back to free roam will never put you back in a server with some one waiting to do what you said. If required, a server instance will be created and only you and your crew will appear in it.

So, say, you have to get in a gun battle on the streets, it will only happen on a server where no one else is around at the moment it occurs. That way it seems more realistic. Next you know, random players hear on the radio that there's a heated gun battle going on outside the union depository and they rush over to see what's up.

Interesting. I see in theory how that will work but it'll be very interesting to see in practise. 

Mason27
  • Mason27

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

Few more questions:

If there's a jetpack in story mode, I know nothing about it and don't really care. I'll leave that for them. I personally don't follow that thread ;)

That's just the name of the thread -- same place where all the UFO stuff was discovered.  And I couldn't care less about it either.  I have never seen the words 'fake' and 'troll' used more in my life, so I assumed you'd see some of that as well.

Continuing with the Heist stuff : Does the "planning' involve picking 1 of 2 (or more) options for how to pull it off?  Or will there be open planning options -- "I think if we steal a van, and some uniforms, then get a bus, etc."?  I assume with cut scenes and certain triggered events, that it will be restricted to the way SP is run.   I guess what I'm asking is, will the game recognize things like "that van always comes here at that time" or "firemen are supposed to be here, there's a fire" outside of a script? 

izzbest
  • izzbest

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Few more questions:

Crazy theories going on in the jetpack thread that involves aliens and everything. Thats why he said it.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

I don't believe this thread for one second.

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Few more questions:

That's just the name of the thread -- same place where all the UFO stuff was discovered.  And I couldn't care less about it either.  I have never seen the words 'fake' and 'troll' used more in my life, so I assumed you'd see some of that as well.

Continuing with the Heist stuff : Does the "planning' involve picking 1 of 2 (or more) options for how to pull it off?  Or will there be open planning options -- "I think if we steal a van, and some uniforms, then get a bus, etc."?  I assume with cut scenes and certain triggered events, that it will be restricted to the way SP is run.   I guess what I'm asking is, will the game recognize things like "that van always comes here at that time" or "firemen are supposed to be here, there's a fire" outside of a script? 

Yup, you pick every aspect of the heist. Obviously there are restrictions, but it's not like story mode where your sole participation in the planning phase was to choose an A or B option. I won't spoil the fun, but it's very customizable. Input from crew members is definitely going to be needed to help you, and planning will be a team effort.

Mason27
  • Mason27

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

Yup, you pick every aspect of the heist. Obviously there are restrictions, but it's not like story mode where your sole participation in the planning phase was to choose an A or B option. I won't spoil the fun, but it's very customizable. Input from crew members is definitely going to be needed to help you, and planning will be a team effort.

Man, I hope you're legit.  That is fantastic news.  

smokey__
  • smokey__

High Hopes

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:08 AM Edited by smokey__, 27 September 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Have your parents told you the truth about santa clause yet???

Mason27
  • Mason27

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

Have your parents told you about santa clause yet???

If he's fake, he's fake.  At this point, who cares?  Worst case scenario is what?  

malanQ
  • malanQ

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

what about the characters in GTA:O. we can only play with main story characters or we create a new character ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users