Photo

An intelligent discussion area.

15 replies to this topic
DeadstarHorizon
  • DeadstarHorizon

Claude Speed's Father

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Although it will most likely degenerate into a whimpering thread for those people that wanted San Andreas 2, but whatever.

I enjoy GTA V. I think it was excellent, and i've been a rabid follower of the series since the first top down perspective for playstation, including it's spinoffs and handhelds.

Overall, this was a vast improvement to GTA IV. I did like Niko as a character, I thought the allusions to his tragic backstory brought some well needed life into the series' main character. Liberty City's reincarnation was pretty big, but to me it was ultimately bland and rather disappointing compared to GTA III. I thought it had a much more urban and dark atmosphere tied to an equally dark story. The driving in IV was more similar to boating the first time I played it, but I quickly got used to it. I won't say I enjoyed it, but at least it was more realistic. Ultimately, I thought GTA IV was pretty ok but tried to take itself way too seriously, and ended up falling short of it's sequel and it's predecessors in terms of that "GTA Charm" i'm sure some of you feel as well.

Once I popped in GTA 5, I was seriously excited. Here was a game which brought a more serious and realistic tone from IV, but brought back some of the humor and ridiculous humor that the series grew up on. I love Los Santos and Blaine county. It's big. I love driving around it, especially the Vinewood Hills area in a fast car. I do feel however that Los Santos itself could have been just a little bigger. One of my favorite places to cruise around in was South Central LS, with all of it's ghettos and barrios capturing an atmosphere that I grew up in. It is noticeably smaller here, and doesn't have much life considering that Franklin is from there. I really don't visit unless i'm cruising around or visiting Franklins car garage. It was cool that they threw in Grove st. as a bit of a throwback, as well as it's nods to the days of old. (Like the Z Type. Zaibatsu anyone?)

I am really excited for GTA online, but I have noticed that the single player's concept of sampling the gameplay mechanics that are supposed to be greatly expanded in GTAO certainly makes me wish I could do more. I've always enjoyed GTA because I could always rely on it being there if I ever just wanted to be alone with a good single player experience. They should have expanded some of the things. (The Heists being a big one.) I would have liked more Bail Bonds missions, or maybe a bail bonds business you could buy the would call you like the cab company does to hunt and take down the more dangerous bail jumpers. Franklin's role as as upstart car thief could have easily been improved by putting in the Gone In Sixty Seconds style car thief list that GTA 3 had. I also enjoyed Michael's role as muscle for Solomon Richards, and I think he could have done some more side missions related to him pretty much being a thug.

In conclusion, I'm saying GTA 5 is a great game. I think it's Rockstar celebrating it's roots, as well as it's change. I do wish that they hadn't watered down the single player as much, even if it meant delaying GTAO for more than two weeks just to make sure we had a truly complete experience. With the rumors of no dlc planning to be made for the single player, it's a little sad to see that what we got could very well be all we are going to have.

It's a great game, and some of these threads listing problems and issues are valid, but seeing the threads where people come in and lambast this game as the antichrist disappointment of forever makes me wonder whether people are actually taking apart this game and really playing it, or just seeing what's on the surface.

Thoughts? Complaints? Bitches? Whines? Moans? Praises?

Let's hear it.

Congratulations R* on another great release in the series.

• Hamsterbaffle and Hardcore1982 like this

trevorwillkillu
  • trevorwillkillu

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

gta v is my favorite gta so far :) it has everything I wanted a city that was not to big but big enough and country... I love just getting a dirt bike and going off road and going to the little town and just killing everyone in them. This game was extremely hyped to the point that people where saying there would be seasons and every building would be accessible. maybe in the future. I really love the graphics the story the gameplay the characters, there are even animals (which I had no idea where in the game). The problem is people hyped this game and expect to much. in my opinion I love this game and it will definitely be one of my favorites for a long time and I am looking forward to the multiplayer as I have given up on cod since black ops, and I am looking forward to getting back into the online gaming again.

Tbones981
  • Tbones981

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm sure there will be dlc for single player and some point just a bunch of people like to gripe and rumor about totaled unknown and unannounced things. Couple things I'm sure everyone would like different but overall a great game can't wait to see what online is like

DeadstarHorizon
  • DeadstarHorizon

Claude Speed's Father

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:01 PM Edited by DeadstarHorizon, 26 September 2013 - 05:02 PM.

gta v is my favorite gta so far :) it has everything I wanted a city that was not to big but big enough and country... I love just getting a dirt bike and going off road and going to the little town and just killing everyone in them. This game was extremely hyped to the point that people where saying there would be seasons and every building would be accessible. maybe in the future. I really love the graphics the story the gameplay the characters, there are even animals (which I had no idea where in the game). The problem is people hyped this game and expect to much. in my opinion I love this game and it will definitely be one of my favorites for a long time and I am looking forward to the multiplayer as I have given up on cod since black ops, and I am looking forward to getting back into the online gaming again.

I can't agree with you more on that. I haven't seriously played an online game since back before they made Battlefield 3 Pay to Win, and even then and I didn't take it seriously because it was disappointing compared to Bad Company 2. GTAO is gonna be a big thing for me. I even dug out the damn headset I haven't used since 1457. (Lol.)

I think people did overhype the sh*t out of this. For me it was pretty close to what I expected, and I love it. The fault I mentioned were minor little niggles to me, but overall this was my favorite in the HD Universe. (3 will always hold favorite title in the series for me.)

• trevorwillkillu likes this

trevorwillkillu
  • trevorwillkillu

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

I can't agree with you more on that. I haven't seriously played an online game since back before they made Battlefield 3 Pay to Win, and even then and I didn't take it seriously because it was disappointing compared to Bad Company 2. GTAO is gonna be a big thing for me. I even dug out the damn headset I haven't used since 1457. (Lol.)

I think people did overhype the sh*t out of this. For me it was pretty close to what I expected, and I love it. The fault I mentioned were minor little niggles to me, but overall this was my favorite in the HD Universe. (3 will always hold favorite title in the series for me.)

I know I do not own a headset but I am going to purchase one just for this :)

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Obviously, each is going to have thier own opinion. I absolutely adored GTA:SA and GTA 4 was a big let-down for me. I felt it lacked the addictive insanity and quirkiness of SA, and went for a dirtier and grittier feel. I'm not going to bash it as 4 was a decent game in it's own right. 5, however, brought a lot of the insanity back (hell, Trevor alone accomplished that). It's not exactly the same insanity, but I wasn't expecting it to be. 5 brought a hell of a lot of new to both GTA and SA (well, the Los Santos and outlying areas at least). The world by itsef is absolutely stunning, amazingly detailed, and just HUGE. That by itself makes 5 my favorite in the series.

VivaSonny
  • VivaSonny

San Andreas utopian

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

A very good OP Deadstar, this is the point of a videogame forum, or any forum for the matter, stating our thoughts in a fundamented way without the urge to insult anyone.

I grow tired of all the topics that are created by the minute here, over the same things. The driving physics, the police etc., I find them different from the previous games but no less enjoyable. Why being constantly ranting about something that doesn't contain a class 1 bug?

I rate class 1 bugs as those that consist of something that is not a mere feature, but something that would undeniably have to work. I find the most serious in this game to be the missing cars in garages. R* has already acknowledged, hope they fix it with the Online release!

Apart from that, the real downer of this game for me is the absence of classic controls (as you can see  :pp). I think it was a big step back, which I can't understand from R*. Completely changing the way to play a game after 10 years doesn't feel natural to many gamers.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

If the game had been San Andreas 2, people would have most likely whined how it adds nothing new to the game. I personally thought GTA V is a great game, it'd get 9.5/10 currently from me. Why did I remove 0.5 points, you ask?

Because of the psychic police. I admit it wasn't that big deal for some time, mainly when I was playing through the story, but after I completed the game it started to have a bigger part in the game... or well, what do I know about police systems in real life. I just don't think sniping people/killing lone people with silencers and then getting 1-3 stars (depending if you killed a police or a pedestrian) nearly instantly is that realistic.

I do however like the new "cone view" system. It makes it much more realistic to have polices have some sort of a vision than when it was a sort of a circle that expands when you get more stars in the Wanted level, never going out if you remain inside the circle.

Anything that could have been improved?

• Of course. All games have room for improvement. What comes to mind first is that there should be more Heists (in Single Player, I am not talking about GTA: Online). Or if not Heists, then something else that you could do yourself or with the other main characters, which rewards you with like a $1 000 000.

• There should have been also houses you can purchase... I don't know if there are, but I haven't seen any.

• Maybe Aircraft/Boat upgrading? If you landed a plane in a hangar or a boat in a harbor (or wherever you store boats), you should be able to customize it, ignoring the realism (because it's a game) of how appearance customizations would radically change the aerodynamics or something.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

#1 Emblem Editor Hater 2014

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:30 PM Edited by chainsoar, 26 September 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Is it OK that I love them all and don't want to choose a favourite?

EDIT: yeah the psychic police make me pretty mad though. I reckon that'll get tweaked when online goes live, or soon after.

DeadstarHorizon
  • DeadstarHorizon

Claude Speed's Father

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Apart from that, the real downer of this game for me is the absence of classic controls (as you can see  :pp). I think it was a big step back, which I can't understand from R*. Completely changing the way to play a game after 10 years doesn't feel natural to many gamers.

I see what you mean by classic controls. I Mean Halo did well to include control sets for people that grew up with the series. Me, I didn't have that rough of a switch. The majority of my playing has been on xbox, so that set has become just as natural as the classic, but they should definately have an option for it.

If the game had been San Andreas 2, people would have most likely whined how it adds nothing new to the game.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Is it OK that I love them all and don't want to choose a favourite?

EDIT: yeah the psychic police make me pretty mad though. I reckon that'll get tweaked when online goes live, or soon after.

It's totally ok. For me, it's nearly impossible to pick a favorite when in comes to GTA III, Vice City, and V, so I understand your pain. xD

Yea, the police do get annoying, especially end game. I get sick of ducking in alleys for five minutes for every single thing I do, plus the helicopters don't help either.

gepetto420
  • gepetto420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

i really like it.  i think the detail and realism they put into this game makes up for the other short comings like cop AI.

Amigo Mane
  • Amigo Mane

YG Amigo

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

They got everything spot on apart from the activities, I wish they expanded on the Franklin & Lamar drug dealing & rivalry between them & the Ballas & the Vargos?

Also the Car Jacking that Lamar & Franklin were into at the start.

I'd love to go to some more dodgy drug deals with Lamar & kill some b*tch ass ballas, or steal some nice cars & race Lamar on the way home, or sneak into Balla turf & take out an OG or something...

The Franklin & Lamar missions were my favorite like the one where you meet the Ballas with Stretch & Lamar (fav moment of the game, loved the ambient music too) and when Frank, Trevor & Lamar go to Grove Street. 

I'd just like to see more of this in the form of side missions & Activities. 

Idk I just thought they'd put in more of this type of stuff & the 3/4 missions of this type that I did, mgot me all hyped up for more of it...

Amigo Mane
  • Amigo Mane

YG Amigo

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

But rolling through grove street doing drive-by's & starting shootouts with the rival gangs will do for now lol

lickylickyballbags
  • lickylickyballbags

Touch my prostate

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

licky licky

Hardcore1982
  • Hardcore1982

Dirty Harry

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:03 PM Edited by Hardcore1982, 26 September 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Hey guys,

My first post, I just joined here but was a silent and anonym reader before and was mostly active in a German GTA Forum. 

I also started with GTA 1 but on PC, I enjoyed every GTA game for what it was. They all had their own problems and flaws but were great games.

My Favorite is to this date Vice City, I just love the 80's vibe.

When I received my copy of GTA5 1 day before release I was (and still are) very excited and it is just addictive. 

I really enjoy the 3 Character mechanics of the game and the story, I am not through yet. Did too many things out of missions, like playing tennis, robbing stores or Gruppe 6 transporters. 

For me the major flaw of the game is the police, the new cone of vision system is cool and feels more "real" but the cops are getting attention way to easily. It is not a game breaker and does not happen always, but there are situations were my car crashed and exploded after the crash and I got a wanted level. Or just for standing around and looking at the scenery.

Also the stealth mechanics could be tweaked with hinsight of the wanted level. They are working fine within the missions.

The dissapearing car glich didn't happen to me, yet.

Overall for me a great game, good story, awesome map and very addictive.

I am sorry for possible spelling or grammar mistakes, English is not my native language and not as common in the place of Germany were I live.

• DeadstarHorizon likes this

Laggard
  • Laggard

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:06 PM Edited by Laggard, 26 September 2013 - 08:06 PM.

This is the first GTA that I've played that actually looked and felt like you were in a real city/world.  The amount of detail always amazes me. 

I know what you are going to say though:  But what about the dim tail-lights???  :cry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users