Quantcast

» «
Photo

Regarding Activities, Content, & Saints.

6 replies to this topic
Kyle_Voakes
  • Kyle_Voakes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Anyone else think there isn't really much to do other than "goof off" when not on a story mission? From what I experienced playing the game, and from what I read on the forum, there's quite a large contrast between those that agree and those that disagree. From "Sight-Seeing Iz Teh Fun" to "Grr! Gyroplanes Are Bawlz Now!" arguments, it appears we have a huge range between pleased and disappointed players. I, myself, fall under the "GTA V is underwhelming" category, but only because I don't enjoy not having a goal to accomplish. I enjoy objectives and activities, and quite frankly, GTA V's claim of 100+ hours is outright wrong. Maybe you can squeeze 100 hours in SP, hypothetically, but not 100+ hours.

The trouble is that there isn't really much to do in GTA V. Yeah, you can make your own goals, but that isn't something the game gives to you. That's the player making something to do, which anyone can do with any game. I, myself, spent my first 40 minutes playing simply trying to get a plane so I could witness the grand scale of Los Santos. A lot of empty space is what I saw. Yeah, the mountains is nice. Yeah, the wilderness is a nice touch; but I was looking around for things to occupy my time. Something fun. In time, I did the rampages, which was a fun distraction but it didn't really do anything different from earlier missions. I finished the plane school, which would have been more enjoyable if I didn't have to keep the aircrafts steady manually. I wanted to make my three characters resemble something from my own imagination, but it was extremely limiting, as if this was DnD GTA, and I was told it was against my alignment to dress Trevor respectfully. (No mustaches for Mike or Frank?) Overall, I wanted to play a fun GTA game, but instead I played a game where I'd spend more time traveling to a mission than completing it, all for a story I had little care for, with characters I didn't really enjoy playing as.

Now, I'm not the one that bought the game. My brother's the one that went to the midnight release, I only drove him there. I understand he had an obligation to "have to like it", considering he spent a long time in a line-up in the cold, and spent full price with a pre-order; but I have no obligations. I have a rather rare viewpoint, and can judge the game without having spent any money on the actual experience. No, I can't return it (because it isn't mine), and I'm interested to see if GTA: Online is enough to make me a buyer when my own PS3 comes back from the fix-it shop, but y'know what I did instead?

I never actually gave my full attention to Saints Row 2 until I played GTA V. At first, I wanted to show my brother that GTA V was rather rotten compared to other games that came before it. Now I'm sure everyone interested in comparing the two franchises would see "GTA V vs SR IV" as the most appealing concept to consider, but no. A more worthy contender would be SR 2. The 100+ hours of content GTA V promised simply pales in comparison to SR 2, and yes, I'm going to bring up golf and yoga. They're boring distractions at best. You bought GTA to play GTA, not Tennis. What were the activities in SR 2? There's a dozen of them, and they mostly use the base gameplay mechanics too. No new button layouts, no new instructions to play. Helicopter objectives, boat races, the insurance fraud and 18 different assassin missions, and that's not even a fourth of the different things to do in the game! There are just so many "diversions" SR 2 has to offer, while GTA V has, what, 6 scripted heists and thirty-minute long "Tap X to win" triathalons? At least SR 2 had the courtesy to make sprinting easy by assigning it as "Hold R1", leaving the thumb comfortable.

Compared to the soon-to-be 5 year old Saints Row 2, GTA V just seems like a couple hundred steps behind in terms of activities and content. Different unarmed fighting styles, territorial gang shootouts, being able to rob all the stores, a garage that actually stores your car (and you can spawn another if it's destroyed), and not to mention some jaw-dropping cutscenes such as "the monster truck scene"... It all seems like Saints Row 2 is the game everyone wants to play when complaining about GTA V. Sure the map is smaller, and it's just cityscape; but sometimes bigger and newer isn't necessarily better. Y'know?

Anyone out there feeling the same way? Surely I can't be the only one.

chinchiller
  • chinchiller

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

i quite agree.

i think the problem is that rockstar only focused on the op game. so further they dont give a damn about the disappointed sp gamers. i also think they will not support any dlcs for the sp. the game feels like a demo tutorial for the op. really sad but think we must deal with it.

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

That's really the way the GTA series has always been. Big open world to play around in. It's just that in GTA there is a lot less of the we're-going-to-hold-your-hand-and-point-you-in-the-direction-you-need-to-go type of thing. Maybe it's not for you, and that's fine. There are no unwritten law stating you have to. However, this time around it does really seem (emphasis on seem because I don't believe we've uncovered nearly everything they've squirreled away in this huge world) they reserved a lot of these things for GTAOL. I have mixed feelings about that myself, but have adopted a "wait and see" mentallity. I mean, when the editing tools become available that could open up a potentially endless supply of new things to do with communiy made heists, races, etc. I am really looking forward to what the community will come up with. Just suggesting that you may want to keep that in mind and not write it off too quickly.

GustavoMota
  • GustavoMota

Whatchu want, some wheels?

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I enjoy objectives and activities, and quite frankly, GTA V's claim of 100+ hours is outright wrong. Maybe you can squeeze 100 hours in SP, hypothetically, but not 100+ hours.

I dunno about that, I'm at roughly 50 hours and only at 43%. And there's still a bunch of stuff I haven't checked out in free roam. I have no doubt I'll get well over 100 hours out of single player.

thenamesbeer
  • thenamesbeer

Mushroom cloud layin' motherfu**er, motherfu**er.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:10 PM Edited by thenamesbeer, 26 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

You're never the only one with an opinion, as I've seen too much on this forum, and thank you for posting legible, non-controversial complaints, but I've gotta disagree.

Here is a list of all the activities I've found enormously entertaining in GTA V:
Arms trafficking, cinema, playing the markets, hunting, jet ski races, offroad/onroad races, base jumping, holding up convenience stores, managing property, taxi missions, Chop, flight school, triathlons, bail bonds, assassinations, golf and tennis. However, there's something else which makes it fantastic.

The sheer ability to set yourself your own goals on a whim.

Last night, I decided to drive from the top of the map to the bottom, with 4 stars, in a caddy. I ended up taking a detour up mount chilliad on an ATV, cycled down, swam halfway through the Alamo sea, jacked a boat across to sandy shores, and took a pickup to south LS. It took me around forty minutes, and I did it listening to Stevie wonder and queen. It was amazing.

Secondly, of you can show me the quote where Rockstar say there's 100hrs of story then well done.

Thirdly, it was never said you could make your characters look however you like. We were told there were barbers and clothes shops.

Bro, if you want saints row, freaking play it. Don't go on a GTA forum and complain it isn't Saints row. The two are now completely different.

At the end of the day, V appeals to me because it has perfectly recreated that crime movie spirit. I thought of drive when I was hiding on someone's driveway and changing cars, City of God (not LA, I know...) when I got into a shootout in the ghetto, Heat when I was robbing the armoured truck... Its just so freaking cool.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have to agree with OP on a lot of his points. I had really high expectations for GTA5 considering all the hype it was getting. I beat all the Saints games and previous GTAs since I grew up with them. I have spent more hours playing GTA 4 than almost any game I own, (not counting Skyrim or Oblivion because, obviously...) but that was because I wasn't satisfied. Then TBoGT came out, it had all the fun and mechanics GTA4 should have had all along. Now, years later, millions of dollars spent on both sides, Rockstar got what they wanted. Money. Luckily Online will have "500" missions to complete which will likely include tennis, golf, etc but to include those into a 16 player experience is the trick. 4-player golf with 12 other players flying planes and blowing things up in the background... I'm in. Then, add in the fact we get get a full-on mission editor type tool. It's like the hackers from GTA4 inspired Rockstar to give everyone a little more power. All in all, fun game but a lot to be desired too. All we can do is wait and watch as we have no real power over how GTA5 developed and whether DLC is produced. I hope, if DLC does come out, it isn't years behind like with "4" and hopefully new protagonist(s).

Kyle_Voakes
  • Kyle_Voakes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

You're never the only one with an opinion, as I've seen too much on this forum, and thank you for posting legible, non-controversial complaints, but I've gotta disagree.

Here is a list of all the activities I've found enormously entertaining in GTA V:
Arms trafficking, cinema, playing the markets, hunting, jet ski races, offroad/onroad races, base jumping, holding up convenience stores, managing property, taxi missions, Chop, flight school, triathlons, bail bonds, assassinations, golf and tennis. However, there's something else which makes it fantastic.

Secondly, of you can show me the quote where Rockstar say there's 100hrs of story then well done.

Thirdly, it was never said you could make your characters look however you like. We were told there were barbers and clothes shops.

Okay, you disagree. That's fine, but are you really saying that the triathlons and the golf mini-game was "enormously entertaining"? Really? Same goes for the flight school with the unpopular turbulence, which is also meant to be a tutorial? I dunno. I'm a bit skeptical of your choices here. Looks to me like you just thought up a bunch of possible activities to do in GTA V, and replaced "possible" with "enjoyable".

Secondly...

"We've got this big open-world experience that's 100 hours long, and that gives players control over what they do, what they see, and how they see it. A world where you can do everything from rob a bank to take a yoga lesson to watch TV, all in your own time." - Dan Houser. Interview with Guardian. (http://www.theguardi...auto-dan-houser)

Yeah, I know you said "100hrs of story", but why can't I get the 100 hours of content offline? Still, there are people that are taking 50+ hours on their first playthrough of the story mode, but I wouldn't call a 2nd trip to the campaign "extra content".

Still, it would be nice to at least lock-in preferred clothing as full outfits. Instead they go against the player's "control over what they do".

Seriously, is there anything redeeming in the GTA V activities other than the ones that turns it into a pass-time sports knock-off? The hunting was better done in Read Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3, with actual rewards other than money, and so far it's just pointless here. Jet Ski Races and Road Races have already been done in all other GTA games, so it's nothing new. The Darkness had actual movies to watch like Sonny Chiba's "The Street Fighter", but then again, I wouldn't be "playing" GTA if I was just watching the T.V. on my T.V.. And why hold up convenience stores when we were promised banks? Like in the first Godfather video game on the PS2!

Blegh. Ramble ramble ramble....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users