I really like the original character creation system because:
- It's quick, neat and easy.
- No being overwhelmed with options and slide-bars. (You'll want to get started but you'll also want to hone every detail of your characters look if the option is there. Best that it is not.)
- It will prevent people creating impossible freak characters that won't fit GTA (i.e. green skin, vampire teeth etc)
- It will prevent people creating perfect bodies and faces so that everyone looks impossibly "beautiful".
- It links into previous GTA-lore with the parent concept.
- It will still allow user final choice via the Gene Dominance meter, male/female selector and final confirmation.
A potential disadvantage, that lots of players could look the same because of the limited number of variations might be covered by the online servers generating random variations of faces each time the character creation tool is used. But even if it isn't this advanced, customising with hair cuts, facial hair (bearded woman perhaps?), glasses and clothes, you can still find your unique look.
I look at it as a GTA character being born - you don't get to choose your face in real life so this works perfectly!