Quantcast

» «
Photo

Character Creation is a disappointment..

49 replies to this topic
Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I've read that you actually don't take part in shaping how your character looks.

But you will get some questions that you answer, that will decide for you, what kind of character it will be.

So there are in other words, pre-made characters that show up - depending on the answers you give to the questions.

In other words, you can't decide what kind of hair color you have?

You might end up looking as someone else as there can't be unlimited pre-made characters?

ThatRandomGuy42
  • ThatRandomGuy42

Survey Corps

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

We won't know anything for sure until we get it. Chin up.

maloy82
  • maloy82

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I say give it a chance first, we have no idea, how this is gonna work,  we just know,  what we heard

Switch__
  • Switch__

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

We can chose everything but not the body and face. Race and clothes and of course hair is in.

Skaytful
  • Skaytful

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:03 PM Edited by Skaytful, 26 September 2013 - 02:08 PM.

Nah you choose your parents from pre designed models (including niko bellic and others with the collectors edition I think) and then adjust a gene dominance slider untill the your character looks how you want it to. I think the questions that you answer also influence what you look like. Im guessing things like 'couch potato' make you fatter for example.

Im not 100% so dont hold me to it though :p Source here :} http://www.rockstarg...pecial-and.html

• Snapabowl likes this

Xavier Horovitz
  • Xavier Horovitz

Yolo Swaggins

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nah you choose your parents from pre designed models (including niko bellic and others with the collectors edition I think) and then adjust a gene dominance slider untill the your character looks how you want it to. I think the questions that you answer also influence what you look like. Im guessing things like 'couch potato' make you fatter for example.

Im not 100% so dont hold me to it though :p

You are definitely the most correct here. I'm hoping for a wide array of customization, because it WOULD be disappointing to look like other.s

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Read where, exactly?

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:25 PM Edited by GlitzyTomb, 26 September 2013 - 02:28 PM.

I don't have a link, but yeah they said something to that tune.

Didn't like the way people spend so much time moving sliders left and righ tor up and down.  You pick your parents and then describe how your character spends his/her time.

So a coach potato who works for a taxi service might have higher driving abilities but less Strength

While an athlete who works as a cop/bouncer/thug might have higher Strength and Shooting

Something along those lines was suggested.

So yeah, a lot of characters might look relatively similar to each other...

But they'll only really look similar if they happen to have the same color hair (you can see hair color options in one of the GTA:O videos) the same hair style and are wearing the same clothes.....but then you and I would look fairly similar if we had the same hair style, color, and the same clothing.

It's a huge improvement from the horde of identical models in GTAIV and it will likely only get better as time goes on and more clothing is added

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

In my opinion this is one of the coolest sounding character creations in any game to date.

I just wish rockstar would release a vid so we could see it in action.

• SingingTrout85 likes this

Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:31 PM Edited by Keymaster.Po, 26 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

• The fourth GTA Online player is fresh off a plane in Los Santos, character creation involves choosing your mum, dad and grandparents and you're given a character. Then players then choose a lifestyle, make choices about the things the character does (partying, couch potato, criminal, athletics nut). - http://www.computera...ities-and-more/

And that's that. There are no sliders.

Character creation involves as said above, choosing mum, dad and grandparents + lifestyle, and things the character does. This will result in a end result of how your character will look. And based on parents, it will decide the color of your skin.

But I'm looking for the interview where he said there would be no sliders but I think it was a video interview.

• rgangsta likes this

Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:35 PM Edited by Keymaster.Po, 26 September 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online (Collector's Edition only) GTA Online introduces a new spin on traditional character creation with the hereditary-based creation system. Select your character’s appearance by choosing your parent’s heritage, then use the gene dominance meter to dial-in which parent your appearance favors more. Additionally, you'll customize your character's daily activities - everything from family time to illegal work and sports to couch potato hours all have an impact on your character’s appearance and skill set (and you can always rank up your skill stats more via gameplay). As part of the Collector’s Edition package, you'll get Niko Bellic, along with both Claude and Misty from Grand Theft Auto III to use as parent options within the character creation system. - http://www.rockstarg...pecial-and.html

There you go, NO sliders. Sadly.

So if you chose the same parents, chose the same gene dominance meter for the same parent as your friend, the same daily activities as your friend.

The character will look exactly the same as your friend!

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:36 PM Edited by Munx, 26 September 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Keymaster did you even read that?

A gene dominance meter will either be a slider or something equivilant of a slider.

Will it be possible to create characters that look the same? sure, the question is how likely it will be for alot of people to create the same looking character randomly, and depending on how many parents/grandparents you got to choose from there could be millions of combinations, the fact that CE comes with 3 extra parents, makes me think that there will be ALOT to choose from in general. (and prob even more over time)

Fact is you can create a character that looks exactly the same as your mates char in ANY game.

• Amanny59 likes this

Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Keep looking I very much doubt you'll find it as i've seen all those and heard no mention of there being no sliders.

If I remeber correctly other previews have mentioned gene dominance meter (aka slider)

Look at my response above your post, it's there.

No sliders. The character apperance is first made by parents and gene meter, then changed some by your activity choices. That's it.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by Munx, 26 September 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Keep looking I very much doubt you'll find it as i've seen all those and heard no mention of there being no sliders.

If I remeber correctly other previews have mentioned gene dominance meter (aka slider)

Look at my response above your post, it's there.

No sliders. The character apperance is first made by parents and gene meter, then changed some by your activity choices. That's it.

Are you purposely being obtuse??

• Amanny59 likes this

Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't know what that means.. but I'm not being anything. :) I'm just saying that there isn't any sliders and there is pre-made characters waiting behind the choices you chose for every questions in the Character Creation process, so you could end up with an identical apperance. And that's alright but I expected more. :)

Omar Comin
  • Omar Comin

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

This sounds like a terrible idea, just let ME pick what my character looks like instead of trying this outlandish idea.

• THE DRAGOON and C4-_-GIBBfather like this

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:49 PM Edited by Munx, 26 September 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Ok then let me make this simple for you, what kind of shape do you imagine the gene dominance METER would have? The most likely would be a slider of sorts.

As for ending up with identical apperance, sure its possible, the question is it likely? Hell even in real life its not unlikely that there is someone out there that looks very similar to you.

As for "obtuse" Lacking perception.

The big question is how many diffrent parents will we have to choose from, with 20+ of each gender its very unlikely that you'll run into someone who looks like you.

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

I saw on the news today that later this week there might be rain but I don't like rain so I think it isn't fair. I don't even know for sure but I think I'll complain about it anyway.

• Amanny59 likes this

Omar Comin
  • Omar Comin

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I just HOPE we dont have characters who look identical running around. Kind of like Dayz and the default character model.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I just HOPE we dont have characters who look identical running around. Kind of like Dayz and the default character model.

Personally not worried about this, the characters in the online trailer alone look quite diverse.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

In my opinion this is one of the coolest sounding character creations in any game to date.

I just wish rockstar would release a vid so we could see it in action.

Me too.

Having the ability to choose Claude and Misty as parents is actually the special feature I miss the most.

Skysaw Jr
  • Skysaw Jr

Fool

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's just a different (and interesting to me) means to an end. Don't like the first look you get, try again. What's the big deal? 

And yes, the gene meter is a slider -- I believe I read that elsewhere but can't put my hands on it right now. So you pick the grandparents and parents you think are closest to the look you want, and play with the slider to refine it. Sounds like fun to me.

_KC
  • _KC

A Buck 30 on Black Ice The Fast Life

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

They want characters to look human. If you remember the original Saints Row MP, excessively long chins, heads shaped like UPS boxes, carot noses, red afros - alien looking people. They're trying to avoid that. They could restrict our options instead but then we'd complain about the limitations.

I don't mind this approach, and like you, I'm hoping for a wide selection of final results

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

I really like the original character creation system because:

- It's quick, neat and easy.

- No being overwhelmed with options and slide-bars. (You'll want to get started but you'll also want to hone every detail of your characters look if the option is there. Best that it is not.)

- It will prevent people creating impossible freak characters that won't fit GTA (i.e. green skin, vampire teeth etc)

- It will prevent people creating perfect bodies and faces so that everyone looks impossibly "beautiful".

- It links into previous GTA-lore with the parent concept.

- It will still allow user final choice via the Gene Dominance meter, male/female selector and final confirmation.

A potential disadvantage, that lots of players could look the same because of the limited number of variations might be covered by the online servers generating random variations of faces each time the character creation tool is used. But even if it isn't this advanced, customising with hair cuts, facial hair (bearded woman perhaps?), glasses and clothes, you can still find your unique look.

I look at it as a GTA character being born - you don't get to choose your face in real life so this works perfectly!

• ExtendUnlimited likes this

bloodblossom
  • bloodblossom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

thats exactly what it is too.. your character is "born" not created.. you state what they did with their life before they left for san andreas in character creation.. then afterwords you are flown in by plane to start a new life with a real backstory to your character.

ThatRandomGuy42
  • ThatRandomGuy42

Survey Corps

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

I saw on the news today that later this week there might be rain but I don't like rain so I think it isn't fair. I don't even know for sure but I think I'll complain about it anyway.

Lol'd

• Hypsteer likes this

Keymaster.Po
  • Keymaster.Po

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Okay, I'll hold my judgement until it's out then, haha. :)

• Hypsteer likes this

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

I still don't see the point in implementing some stupid feature such as this just to appear creative.

At the end of the day people are going to be playing these characters for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Why not spend development time creating a character creation that allows people to get these avatars to look exactly how they want them to? Why not let people change every detail to how they want them to be?

I don't have any questions the system will be pretty cool and diverse. But I just think it is a cheesy alternative to being able to define your character specifically how you want. I can easily see myself remaking my character multiple times just to get them looking around where I want them to. Why bother? :s

Snapabowl
  • Snapabowl

Errl User

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm looking forward to the character creation system actually.  It sounds fun and like something new.  Plus it sounds to me like if you don't like the way your character looks you can keep trying different parent combinations and adjusting the sliders to different degrees.  I'm sure there is a preview window before you finalize your character.  I think once people spend even just a little time with it they'll make a character they enjoy.

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

ok, dissapointed again. I was looking forward to spend some hours on my char in Creation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users