Photo

Playing With No Headset

43 replies to this topic
The Huntsman
  • The Huntsman

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

I got my 360 in 2008.  Had a satellite based internet connection until a few months ago, which means that for all of those years, I was never able to play games online.  Because of that, I gave away the headset that came with my 360.  I'm thinking about picking up a gold account on the 1st in order to play GTA Online, but since I'm getting the Xbox One in November, I really don't want to buy a headset.  I hear that GTA Online is very communication heavy, and I imagine things like the heists would require it, but is there room for a silent partner?  Or will people without mics just get booted from servers?

A part of me thinks I might as well not even bother trying to play online.

ZombCreations
  • ZombCreations

Playa

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

I wouldn't do anything technical with someone without a mic. Get a cheap one off craigslist. Or a brand new one is only 20 bucks.

Exquisite
  • Exquisite

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Agreed, get a mic. And just because the xbox one is coming out doesn't mean getting a crappy one. I can't stand people with static or sound like they are always making popcorn. Ps: don't miss out on gta online......it's the best part of the game :)

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

Just get a mic cheap online. I got mine 60% off. There are always deals somewhere online.

GuantanamoObama
  • GuantanamoObama

That is to say, Cunnilingus

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

It's not as though mics are expensive. I fail to see what the problem is. 

The Huntsman
  • The Huntsman

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Do you want to pay for it then, chief?  I have a budget.  A budget that is stressed out because I'm trying to get a $500 console with an additional $250 worth of stuff for it.  And I'm not so inclined to try to carve out money for a headset just to use it for a month and a half.  Everybody is so picky.  One would think with all of the complaints about screeching kids that you wouldn't mind some guy sitting quietly in the corner.  Even if the headset costs ten bucks, that's ten bucks that would be better spent elsewhere.

Mavsynchroid
  • Mavsynchroid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Do you want to pay for it then, chief?  I have a budget.  A budget that is stressed out because I'm trying to get a $500 console with an additional $250 worth of stuff for it.  And I'm not so inclined to try to carve out money for a headset just to use it for a month and a half.  Everybody is so picky.  One would think with all of the complaints about screeching kids that you wouldn't mind some guy sitting quietly in the corner.  Even if the headset costs ten bucks, that's ten bucks that would be better spent elsewhere.

Good man. Well said. Going to be a silent sniper myself. When doing missions people ask for snipers and such, right?

Don't need to talk to set up and provide cover.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Good man. Well said. Going to be a silent sniper myself. When doing missions people ask for snipers and such, right?

Ehh? Sniper is the one role where id say a microphone is a must, a snipers job is not only to shot targets, but to call out targets from a vantage point that his team can not spot.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

The sniper`s job is not to pew pew. It is to keep a lookout and call targets / aggressive crews / police / whatever. Shooting is secondary. At least that`s what I`d expect from my sniper...

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'd get a mic, even if it's the cheapest one you can find. I spent $15 on a cheap mic just for GTA:O since my headset broke a few months ago. You'll definitely get around much better with communication.

GTA5 Titans
  • GTA5 Titans

Titans

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Speaking from experience friends wwith no headset can slow the entire team down. Bite the bullet and snap up some quickfast!

JimmyJoeJames
  • JimmyJoeJames

I'ma hero. My methods are just different from yours.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'd get a mic, even if it's the cheapest one you can find. I spent $15 on a cheap mic just for GTA:O since my headset broke a few months ago. You'll definitely get around much better with communication.

Yup, me 360 broke a couple weeks before GTAV dropped so I just got a PS3. Just today I decided to a headset, a used one at the local gaming shop only cost $15.

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Dont know how Xbox is compared to PS3, but on my ps3 i just use my surround system for sound, and a cheap nokia Bluetooth headset for voice communication, works like a charm. Dont know if xbox has bluetooth tho

Fiery_Irish
  • Fiery_Irish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'd say this is one of those games that would be made much more enjoyable by being able to communicate with others. Though if you really can't afford a cheap-o headset then whatever.

Mavsynchroid
  • Mavsynchroid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:09 AM Edited by Mavsynchroid, 27 September 2013 - 11:10 AM.

The sniper`s job is not to pew pew. It is to keep a lookout and call targets / aggressive crews / police / whatever. Shooting is secondary. At least that`s what I`d expect from my sniper...
In real life, sure. In this game? No. No one needs to call out targets lol. It's going to be completely obvious where people are shooting you from. This isn't arma. For the look out, You see the cops on your minimap. Pretty sure other players appear on your mini map as well unless they pay for Lester to hide them, but again, refer to seeing bullets flying at you.

So like I said. Don't need a mic to be a sniper.
  • robaldinho likes this

Mr.Howudoin
  • Mr.Howudoin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

You can get a decent mic for the 360..you can get an adapter for the xbox one so you can continue to use it..

LzInFaMouSzL
  • LzInFaMouSzL

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Just go to GameStop & buy a cheap basic 360 headset for like $20. Don't waste any $ buying one online, because most likely it won't work. + if you buy a gold membership for you're 360, it will carry over to Xbox One & the XB1 comes w/ a headset anyways.

BigTimeSpider
  • BigTimeSpider

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Dude, 20 bucks is not much.
I mean if you're already paying for a $500 system. Just take away $20, I mean the system is coming in November.

The Huntsman
  • The Huntsman

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:58 AM Edited by The Huntsman, 30 September 2013 - 12:59 AM.

And November leads to Christmas shopping.  Don't presume to know my situation.  You don't.  Not everybody you play with on a game like this is going to have a headset.  Perhaps if you're some alleged elite gamer who cares about top scores and rolling with the best crews, then yeah, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people will be teaming up for missions who have absolutely no way of talking to one another.  If I get GTA Online but don't have a headset, isn't that better than not getting GTA Online at all?

BigTimeSpider
  • BigTimeSpider

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

And November leads to Christmas shopping.  Don't presume to know my situation.  You don't.  Not everybody you play with on a game like this is going to have a headset.  Perhaps if you're some alleged elite gamer who cares about top scores and rolling with the best crews, then yeah, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people will be teaming up for missions who have absolutely no way of talking to one another.  If I get GTA Online but don't have a headset, isn't that better than not getting GTA Online at all?

I'm just trying to cool you down. Chill out.
And no, I'm am not an elite gamer. I just want to play with my friends and have fun. I'm only gonna have a crew of like 6 people. I don't play competitive, I play to play.

GM Inc
  • GM Inc

Get Money Industries

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

headset or not you will still have fun.if you are playing with real life friends get a headset if not then don't i would say

• BigTimeSpider likes this

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

Masked Maniacal Man Mass Murders Millions, Maybe, Man

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:07 AM Edited by SilencedScream, 30 September 2013 - 04:07 AM.

If you're going to be that defensive of it, you probably shouldn't be asking the internet. You're right - no one knows your situation, but when you ask a question without the details, expect people to question why you're willing to pay $60 for a game and not $10 for a mic from Walmart.

That said, according to a Reddit poster (so it may very well not be reliable) there's a race mode called Rally in which the drivers have no markers and their passenger has to direct them through the race. If it's indeed in the game, it would require a mic - at least for the passenger.

• BigTimeSpider likes this

zibbablue
  • zibbablue

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

Coverter/adapter could be a sweet solution to reuse the "normal" headset.
It cost me 3U$ (shipping included) only. (and yes I m in china :lol: )

The Huntsman
  • The Huntsman

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:42 AM Edited by The Huntsman, 01 October 2013 - 02:42 AM.

I've reconfigured my budget and I'm going to try to pick up something cheap in the morning.  I'm sorry I came off as a jerk in this thread.  I've never really gamed online on a console before and never used a headset, and lamented the fact that I gave mine away when I finally needed one.  I just hope the voice quality on the cheap ones won't annoy people, although it probably will be less annoying than my lack of social skills and my southern accent.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

I received a check from the government a week ago for god doesn't even know what. Nothing big, enough for a headset. That being said, can anyone recommend one for a PS3? Most people I encounter online with a headset sound absolutely terrible. Over a year ago, I asked my gamer cousin what he thought about those $40? Sony bluetooths (or whatever) and he claims that those are the ones I mainly here online, or in other words, they suck. 

Tokc
  • Tokc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

Seriously you're fighting everyone. It would better if you had a headset. It's ten bucks and no you don't absolute have to have one. If you can't afford it then why ask about it? You sound like you're trying to prove that you don't need one and maybe you're insecure and projectin out into everyone. Reflect.

Dkmariolink
  • Dkmariolink

Super Duper High School Gamer

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

Too bad ps3 VoIP sucks dick, hope they have keyboard chat.

Spitfirex007
  • Spitfirex007

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

Buy a pair of Turtle Beaches. You can get a nice pair for $60. They'll work for not only xbox, xbox one but any other thing you connect to your TV. Plus of course you get the sound of the game in your headset. I honestly can't play video games with mine anymore.

Ertrick36
  • Ertrick36

Sole Survivor

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

I'm only going to be using a mic with friends and crew.  I couldn't give less of a f*ck about most strangers in online GTA games, as most of the time you can't trust them anyway.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

A lot of people won't play with you (cooperatively) if you can't communicate. So it you're the kind of person that actually gives a sh*t, buy one.

I'm only using my mic for important things involving my Social Club crew, or people I know personally. It's best not to chat with the chumps online anyhow.

But you will eventually find someone that is willing to partner with you, despite you not being able to communicate. So don't get one if you don't want to... You don't really NEED one...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users