Microtransactions Explained: Why you shouldn't be worried

95 replies to this topic
tommyboy9413
  • tommyboy9413

Danger

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm planning on buying the money for safehouses, garages, and cars. I'm not planning to do much in GTA Online besides maybe showing off What I have.

• hierbamala likes this

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

I'm planning on buying the money for safehouses, garages, and cars. I'm not planning to do much in GTA Online besides maybe showing off What I have.

Well you can do that. This is why Rockstar made this an option. If you want to shell out your money for in-game money, then it's totally fine. You're becoming rich in the game by spending your actual cash. It won't rank you up, but it can give you nice houses and rides.

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

People don't seem to get the idea that if there are micro transactions in a game for currency, they are going to make normal currency acquisition harder than normal. It's the logical business route all companies that do this take to get you to actually buy the currency.  So whilst all you people chant on about how unaffected you are, the overall effect is taking more of your time to get what you want. I don't think the fact it is open ended excuses this as it's pay to play game and things shouldn't be made as such if you don't pay even more...

I am yet to see a decent argument as to why it exists, to say they need the money revenue with the options they have available is just an ill informed lie.

The question is by how much, really. If it is manageable, it won`t make a difference. 

I have an example: SWTOR and EA and their "packs". It brought in the game a way for players to get rich - by selling the items exclusive to said packs - literally being a way of getting ingame money with real cash. Thing is, it didn`t have any effect on my own money and gear anyway. Sure, I didn`t have ALL the "pimp your avatar" things, but I am not a collector, so I didn`t give a sh*t anyway.

The only question here is: how much faster can a "wallet warrior" get the minimum, over a non paying player, given equal time invested playing? Minimum being - house with at least 2 garage slots, for a getaway car and a race car, assault rifle + sniper + RPG, some decent clothing, additionally one more heli slot + all their needed upgrades. Because everything else is just unnecessary fluff or gear. 

The thing is SWTOR is a free to play game so those advantages are somewhat allowed. GTA is a game that made $1billion in three days and has all the potential to continually make money from DLC. Free to play games like DotA 2 have proven that you can give people everything they need to enjoy the game up and survive off of cosmetic and quality of life benefits alone, so why does GTA need to have a currency option when it's a pay to play game with excessive profit?

The game should be designed in such a way that you don't even need these packs as the games base economy means you will earn them all in a decent play time. Having this kind of thing at launch just seems like greed and judging from the low income in singleplayer endgame outside of stocks, I can easily see it having an effect on our in game income as opposed to if the system was never going to be in.

And it's not even about the effects it has on the game really even if that is worrying, it is just insulting to have such a model in a game that we have all paid for and they have made a lot of money off. With the money they made and the money they have the potential to make, I find it hard to argue that such a system isn't just greed. Players should have content that they can purchase to keep the company running, not some economy harmful system just because a company is being greedy.

This is a game we have all paid full price for, it shouldn't just be ok to obtain a reasonable amount of things like you did in SWTOR. You should be able to obtain everything at the same rate as everyone else irrespective of your cash, with companies having to put out more content as a means for getting you to pay more money. I think in a game that can sell you cars/clothing/weapon skins/extra maps/extra missions and a whole boat load of other content (there is not limit on the potential for creating content that people will buy) you can't really make an excuse for having something like currency for cash in game.

To me it's not the effects that are the problem it's the principal of it all.

Although SWTOR started as a Pay to Play it's not really a good example regardless. EVE online is though. They have a system where you can buy game time (called PLEX's) and sell them on their market for in game currency (or use it yourself...) People were concerned that it would ruin the game too... However, it didn't really have an overall effect, other than getting people into ships they shouldn't have been flying... Most of the people who got them, were newer players, and while they could get some baddass ships, they didn't know how to fit them or didn't have the skills learned to fit them properly. So instead of having an edge, they were actually hurting themselves. Obviously, in the hands of a decent player, it'll help them. In fact, far from making EVE pay to win, it didn't change anything except perhaps make it take corps a little longer to defeat. Typically, the one buying PLEX's didn't know how to make cash in game, and by buying their in game currency, it hurt them even more.

In some ways EVE is a lot like GTA.... There are guys in there just waiting to steal your sh*t... Remember those PLEX's? Keep in mind that you don't have to be in a certain location, or station. So moving them around isn't necessary. There was a guy who was transporting around  25 of them in a ship for his corp.... He got ganked, and lost them all. If I remember right, he lost around $1000 in real money. I don't think he ever got it back either. (As long as you're not using cheats/Hacks/Exploits you can be as much of a dick as you want without repercussions from the Dev's... Which won't necessarily save you from the wrath of the rest of the player base though =P)

Itislupus
  • Itislupus

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Still ruins the fun because people can have everything from the start.

Nope. You have to progress to earn it.

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

He means cars and houses. They don't affect your rank though so I don't care. I'd rather be the most skilled player in the game rather than the richest.

• SideburnGuru likes this

SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

He means cars and houses. They don't affect your rank though so I don't care. I'd rather be the most skilled player in the game rather than the richest.

tony-550x366.jpg 

Is it too much to ask for both? 

• TeCNeEk and Fizwalker like this

King Jose
  • King Jose

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Rich kids = targets & unlucky players with bountys on them.

kopkiller666
  • kopkiller666

I kill Police Officers

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Then you could see who's a real criminal as oppose to a fraudulent player. (No offense to cash card buyers)

Fraudulent players? Really? So your saying that anyone who takes advantage of a service offered by the games developer is fraudulent? You purist fanboys can suck my fat one. I bought this game and I'm gonna enjoy it any way I damn well please.

Oh, and any of you internet tough guys who say they are going to "wipe the floor" with people who buy cash cards - you're more than welcome to try. Just ride your bikes up to my mansion.

I'll be right there with you in my chrome painted Rhino with gold spinners shooting dollar bills out of my money cannon at the waves and waves of poor players(we'll call them zombies)

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Rich kids will be pointed out and have bounty's on their head. Anyone else cool with this? :)

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

tony-550x366.jpg 

Is it too much to ask for both? 

That's awesome!

• SideburnGuru likes this

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

IF GTAO is any good I'll be joining the rich kids club. I'll most likely buy an expensive house and garage and I'll also have a free high-end Khamelion electric car thanks to my C.E, Myself and my buddies won't have time to grind on this game with our work. It'll just be played for an hour or two at a time on our downtime for the laughs and light relief.

If that makes other gamers 'bitter' a how we choose to game so be it. I'll look forward to any bountys put on us, but since we have credit we can probably triple the fees. :colgate:

imotive
  • imotive

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

I really could not give two f*cks what rank I am or if anyone else got a nice house or what ever. I'm playing with my mates to have a laugh, if some people (who obviously have done nothing good in there lives) like to be the "best" because they have alot of money on a game lol go ahead.

Senor Salami
  • Senor Salami

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I don't have an issue with this. My only worry is stuff being exclusive for the cash shop that I might want. I actually prefer to earn stuff rather than just be handed to me. I have a feeling the cash shop is going to have a lot of stuff that will be exclusive and that's when it starts to suck.

DSO_BillV
  • DSO_BillV

Wiggle goo

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Then you could see who's a real criminal as oppose to a fraudulent player. (No offense to cash card buyers)

Fraudulent players? Really? So your saying that anyone who takes advantage of a service offered by the games developer is fraudulent? You purist fanboys can suck my fat one. I bought this game and I'm gonna enjoy it any way I damn well please.

Oh, and any of you internet tough guys who say they are going to "wipe the floor" with people who buy cash cards - you're more than welcome to try. Just ride your bikes up to my mansion.

Who needs bikes when you've got a tank? I'd like to see how many wads of cash you'll pelt my armor with before I informally demolish your Rockford Hills condo.

Hayze
  • Hayze

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by Hayze, 27 September 2013 - 05:29 PM.

You guys gonna be mad when someone buys a bunch of cash cards (I will not be doing this), buys a military jet and just terrorizes your broke character? 

Or is that rank dependent with what you can buy?

Zoidbergs_LV
  • Zoidbergs_LV

One ticket to LS please

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Well yeah, but imagin a situation where LVL1A enters a race with a lets say Infernus and LVL1B enters the race with simething like a Sultan that hasn`t been customized. It is clear that LVL1A will win. Same with guns, who is going to win a gunfight? A guy with a fully customized LMG or someone with a non customized pistol. 

I hope they will make it so everything is unlocked by earning XP. I wouldn`t want to see a bunch of level 1s living in a mansion with best weapon in the game and a Veyron in their garage. 

hierbamala
  • hierbamala

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Got my moms credit card ready when servers are up

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

You guys gonna be mad when someone buys a bunch of cash cards (I will not be doing this), buys a military jet and just terrorizes your broke character? 

Or is that rank dependent with what you can buy?

Dependent on rank. The high your rep, the better the stuff you unlock. 

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:52 PM Edited by Munx, 27 September 2013 - 06:53 PM.

I'd applaud you if you do this, basicly sponsoring the servers for the rest of us.

Personally I doubt ill be using the microtransactions at all, a big majority of my enjoyment is earning the stuff.

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

No biggie, it'll just make hunting them down all the funner(yep I said funner... get at me)
  • Cavintine likes this

Hitchens
  • Hitchens

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

Money isn't what determines your rank in the GTAO. Your rank is determined by XP accumulated from doing heists, robberies, races, deathmatches, and so on. If you are a player who wants to get rich fast, then you can do so. This will NOT make you a better player. You can purchases homes, cars, and so forth, but it will not in any way make you elite. 

Let's say Me and You start out at level 1. I decide to purchase $2.5 million dollars of in-game cash. You decide to roll with the punches, and not purchase any microtransactions. By me purchasing the in-game money, I will be set up to buy real estate and vehicles. You will have to earn it the hard way and work your way up. My rank is unchanged from buying homes or vehicles, and I'm in the exact same situation as you. I must win races, do heists, win deathmatches, and so on to earn my rank/reputation. Money is what makes GTA Online tick, but it is NOT what ranks you up. You have to EARN your money in order to earn reputation. 

Okay, I disagree to agree! ...and I disagree! I see it differently.

But first I'll say to ease the waters, is that if you can lock servers, my problems would be solved as I'd just play with friends.

But it would or would've been more fun to have an open server where, as they mention, other things can affect your activities.

Money isn't what determines your rank in the GTAO. Your rank is determined by XP accumulated from doing heists, robberies, races, deathmatches, and so on. If you are a player who wants to get rich fast, then you can do so. This will NOT make you a better player. You can purchases homes, cars, and so forth, but it will not in any way make you elite. 

If rank affects what items you can purchase, this will be more than fine for me. BUT if it doesn't, the problem still exist.

If rank doesn't affect those things then this is subjective and we still have the right to dislike it... as rank may not personally mean sh*t to many, like achievements and so forth(im just getting into achievements, more of being competitive with friend) for many, so if I don't giva f*ck about rank, then'll just buy money and bam, have everything that DOES  matter to people in 5 mins while you work for it.

It does seem that those things are what we'll be working for, except for guns, BECAUSE, as others have mentioned and I totally agree with, that this is just not your typical GTA, its almost like a sims, and if you have imagination all those things matter, the cars, properties... and so forth, and not rank so much.

Again, if rank stops you from purchasing higher tier items that's okay, but a problem does exist within that scenario as well. let's say you buy everything within rank 1, spam the missions, buy everything in rank two spam the missions... that's a lot different than say... earning money, planning what to purchase b/c you dont have an abundance, planning on what to do to get what you need, such as small things to reup your body armor,as opposed to splurging as it doesn't matter to you...

If I'm rank one and itll take me a month to do what you did in 5 mins, that's not balanced...

Stop defending it, its lazy, even R* mentions it, "instant gratification".  NOW, its seems in the last few years micro's are here to stay, why? because many people are lazy excuse makers AND which is what I believe to be the real problem, HAVE VERY LOW COMPREHENSION SKILLS.

They do this b/c they know people are lazy.

The ideal world we would play the game day by day and enjoy every minute of playing, saving our money and enjoying the time we spend with friends getting into crazy sh*t. Not rushing to the finish line to have it all. Then the game would have longevity. LoL which is a sub mentality, which I support. But in games like gta where they've made profit ONLY b/c gtao was an intricate part of the game, they could setup a time frame for free content then charge for dlc's, id rather pay for large packs of items and missions then use micro transactions....

I know I'm on the logical/losing side, but oh well, I'll continue to be me.

crazytrain424
  • crazytrain424

Prankster

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

Buy money for money.
Buy best car

pimp it out

race in pimp car

win every time

rank up

I think this is more of what you meant.

Buy money for money

Buy best car...oh sh*t you mean i have to rank up before i can buy that car

ok let me start over

Buy money for money

Rank up

Ok now buy best car

Pimp it out...oh sh*t you mean i have to rank up some more to buy the pimp sh*t

Ok let me start over

Buy money

rank up a lot

buy best car

pimp it out

race in pimp car...oh sh*t everybody has the same car as me

Win sometimes

Rank up

All this ranking up made me hungry...wish i had money to order a pizza but i wasted it on cash cards

• _KC likes this

One Eye
  • One Eye

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

So they will only have the advantage within their own rank. Works for me. I'm just glad R* didn't allow them to buy things like the best weapons, tanks, fighter jets, ect. at rank one, because that would be play to win.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

So they will only have the advantage within their own rank. Works for me. I'm just glad R* didn't allow them to buy things like the best weapons, tanks, fighter jets, ect. at rank one, because that would be play to win.

Not even that tbh, even the first pistol can stand up to a fully modified mg.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:46 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 28 September 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Stop defending it, its lazy, even R* mentions it, "instant gratification".  NOW, its seems in the last few years micro's are here to stay, why? because many people are lazy excuse makers AND which is what I believe to be the real problem, HAVE VERY LOW COMPREHENSION SKILLS.

They do this b/c they know people are lazy.

You are wrong. 

Not all people are lazy. Some don`t have the time. You work for your stuff ingame, they work for their stuff out of the game.

The ONLY problem and the crux of the microtransaction bullsh*t is when one is forced to work harder than the other - usually the one that gives the lesser money. I`ll let you figure out who that guy is on your own...

[EDIT] As long as the "free" players don`t have to work too hard fro their ingame cash, there isn`t and shouldn`t be any problem with microtransactions. 

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Why is this still a problem? The people who buy money will probably be put into a cheaters lobby with other people wno bought it. Which also disable their stats and achievements/trophies.

Scumbaggah
  • Scumbaggah

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

What's with all the "rich kids" crap? What are you all, 12 years old? Since when does forking out a couple of bucks for a sweet ride make you rich lol?

Can you use the GTA$ to buy ammo?

Euan
  • Euan

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Whenever you grind to earn a nice, expensive car, and see somebody drive past in a nice, expensive car they bought with real cash, it naturally gives you a temptation to just buy it with real cash.

This shouldn't even be considered as an object, seeing how it's GTA.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Whenever you grind to earn a nice, expensive car, and see somebody drive past in a nice, expensive car they bought with real cash, it naturally gives you a temptation to just buy it with real cash.

This shouldn't even be considered as an object, seeing how it's GTA.

No it gives me the temptation to kill them and steal it.

Cleverley1986
  • Cleverley1986

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

im not against purchasing in game currency however it does de value hard work. 

However, at the moment we have no information to make the cards relative. If a house is $1m then you really have to think as to whether the house is worth it. If $1m gets you say, 3 cars, a house and full array of guns/ammo then really theres nothing else to work for unless its just another car or another house. you also have to consider that if it took say 30 hours of my time to grind my way to $1m then i would think that considering im paid £15/$22 per hour at work then an hour of my time is worth paying for a card as opposed to 30 hours of my time that i could be doing overtime.

ill be waiting til launch to see how easy it is to get money and make my decision based on how i value it to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users