Photo

Microtransactions Explained: Why you shouldn't be worried

95 replies to this topic
Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

People don't seem to get the idea that if there are micro transactions in a game for currency, they are going to make normal currency acquisition harder than normal. It's the logical business route all companies that do this take to get you to actually buy the currency.  So whilst all you people chant on about how unaffected you are, the overall effect is taking more of your time to get what you want. I don't think the fact it is open ended excuses this as it's pay to play game and things shouldn't be made as such if you don't pay even more...

I am yet to see a decent argument as to why it exists, to say they need the money revenue with the options they have available is just an ill informed lie.

The question is by how much, really. If it is manageable, it won`t make a difference. 

I have an example: SWTOR and EA and their "packs". It brought in the game a way for players to get rich - by selling the items exclusive to said packs - literally being a way of getting ingame money with real cash. Thing is, it didn`t have any effect on my own money and gear anyway. Sure, I didn`t have ALL the "pimp your avatar" things, but I am not a collector, so I didn`t give a sh*t anyway.

The only question here is: how much faster can a "wallet warrior" get the minimum, over a non paying player, given equal time invested playing? Minimum being - house with at least 2 garage slots, for a getaway car and a race car, assault rifle + sniper + RPG, some decent clothing, additionally one more heli slot + all their needed upgrades. Because everything else is just unnecessary fluff or gear. 

The thing is SWTOR is a free to play game so those advantages are somewhat allowed. GTA is a game that made $1billion in three days and has all the potential to continually make money from DLC. Free to play games like DotA 2 have proven that you can give people everything they need to enjoy the game up and survive off of cosmetic and quality of life benefits alone, so why does GTA need to have a currency option when it's a pay to play game with excessive profit?

The game should be designed in such a way that you don't even need these packs as the games base economy means you will earn them all in a decent play time. Having this kind of thing at launch just seems like greed and judging from the low income in singleplayer endgame outside of stocks, I can easily see it having an effect on our in game income as opposed to if the system was never going to be in.

And it's not even about the effects it has on the game really even if that is worrying, it is just insulting to have such a model in a game that we have all paid for and they have made a lot of money off. With the money they made and the money they have the potential to make, I find it hard to argue that such a system isn't just greed. Players should have content that they can purchase to keep the company running, not some economy harmful system just because a company is being greedy.

This is a game we have all paid full price for, it shouldn't just be ok to obtain a reasonable amount of things like you did in SWTOR. You should be able to obtain everything at the same rate as everyone else irrespective of your cash, with companies having to put out more content as a means for getting you to pay more money. I think in a game that can sell you cars/clothing/weapon skins/extra maps/extra missions and a whole boat load of other content (there is not limit on the potential for creating content that people will buy) you can't really make an excuse for having something like currency for cash in game.

To me it's not the effects that are the problem it's the principal of it all.

Skellyhell
  • Skellyhell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Buy money for money.
Buy best car

pimp it out

race in pimp car

win every time

rank up

• geisweiller likes this

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I believe that this will start a war between us that will play & earn the hard way & those that use the Microtransactions lol.. "Choose your side"

BigTimeSpider
  • BigTimeSpider

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

R* knows what they're doing, just watch.

• EyeMacHunt likes this

zerrier
  • zerrier

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Still, people who pay to win will have an advantage over players who dont, you can buy better cars and weapons wich will of course be an advantage in heists aka it will make you rank up faster than a player who doesnt pay to win...

TrickishDonkey
  • TrickishDonkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Still, people who pay to win will have an advantage over players who dont, you can buy better cars and weapons wich will of course be an advantage in heists aka it will make you rank up faster than a player who doesnt pay to win...

you know you can only buy things at you level r* explained how it will not effect people.

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

In their eyes they are a business first. In their eyes they can exploit every avenue as possible, as a gaming community it's up to us how much we tolerate. If they can get away with charging in game currency and making it harder to obtain in the process they will do it, because from a business standpoint why shouldn't they?

It's just up to players with how much they want to be exploited and where the line is drawn. My personal view is if it doesn't provide anything to the players experience and you have plenty of options to do so you are being greedy. If it's got the potential to subtract from those that don't pay more, it's even worse.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 26 September 2013 - 12:57 PM.

The thing is SWTOR is a free to play game so those advantages are somewhat allowed. GTA is a game that made $1billion in three days and has all the potential to continually make money from DLC. Free to play games like DotA 2 have proven that you can give people everything they need to enjoy the game up and survive off of cosmetic and quality of life benefits alone, so why does GTA need to have a currency option when it's a pay to play game with excessive profit?

The game should be designed in such a way that you don't even need these packs as the games base economy means you will earn them all in a decent play time. Having this kind of thing at launch just seems like greed and judging from the low income in singleplayer endgame outside of stocks, I can easily see it having an effect on our in game income as opposed to if the system was never going to be in.

And it's not even about the effects it has on the game really even if that is worrying, it is just insulting to have such a model in a game that we have all paid for and they have made a lot of money off. With the money they made and the money they have the potential to make, I find it hard to argue that such a system isn't just greed. Players should have content that they can purchase to keep the company running, not some economy harmful system just because a company is being greedy.

This is a game we have all paid full price for, it shouldn't just be ok to obtain a reasonable amount of things like you did in SWTOR. You should be able to obtain everything at the same rate as everyone else irrespective of your cash, with companies having to put out more content as a means for getting you to pay more money. I think in a game that can sell you cars/clothing/weapon skins/extra maps/extra missions and a whole boat load of other content (there is not limit on the potential for creating content that people will buy) you can't really make an excuse for having something like currency for cash in game.

To me it's not the effects that are the problem it's the principal of it all.

SWTOR started as sub based MMO. It also sold for 60$ per copy, with CE versions as high as 300 I think... It kept a sub model for a year, more or less, at 15 per month too. It flopped hard so it turned F2P and towards micro transactions.

Also, to me, Rockstar is trying to sell its GTA:O as a MMO, or give the impression it`s a MMO like game. From this point of view, it does look like one, with the said 300 missions and with promises of patches. As much as we hate it, I think this is the future of gaming - DLC`s over DLC`s based on a game that sells itself as a MMO, be it authentic or not.

At least GTA 5 has given us a decent starter platform and not the pieces of sh*t that call themselves games from EA and the like.

tl;dr: The principle of DLC is wrong, but it is the future, I am afraid, as I don`t see the "community" boycotting the model. So, we can only hope it won`t be the slap in the face we think it will be. 

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

R* have already said that earning money online will be a lot easier / quicker than in the SP mode. Sorry buying in game money will only really help at the very start. Once you've got a good crew going and have done several heists, robberies, etc, I'm sure there won't be a problem.

It's no different from people buying packs in FIFA...sure they can have a team with Messi, Ronaldo, etc...but I've beaten plenty of them with my lesser teams.

Bomberlegend
  • Bomberlegend

Seeing through the bullsh*t

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Rockstar Games defense force in full effect I see.

Why are you on the site then?

geisweiller
  • geisweiller

The Boss

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:29 PM Edited by geisweiller, 26 September 2013 - 02:30 PM.

This sucks. Here is and simple example of how the GTA$ stuff will disrupt the game experience:

Let's pretend me and other guy are on the same rank and we're going to race. I've paid for the most expensive GTA$ card and spent all of this improving the best car as far is possible on the rank that we are. The other guy didn't and now he doesn't have enough money to improve his car as is possible. Without considering our driving skills, I'll have a big advantage.

So while he is trying to make money and ranking up slowly, I'm already racing with the best car that our rank can provide, and probably, ranking up fast.

Who pays for GTA$ will rank up fastest than who doesn't.

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Im not worried, Many games are F2P now with microtransactions, and most smart gaming companies know that P2W games die fast.

And im tired of hearing all. "I wont be buying any in game currency, shame on those who do, and ill wipe the floor with them". 

As in all games, If i enjoy the game and think its good, i have no problem putting some money into it, it takes away some grinding time i can use for college and I support a game I like, so that they can continue making more content.

Dont hate on people buying stuff for cash, THEY are paying for your fun.

As the ranking system can not be changed with money, Im not worried at all, and hopefully its going to be a balanced F2P game. (i say f2p even tho you buy the game itself)

I find myself in a brief moment of agreement....:p

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:42 PM Edited by BurnCK, 26 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.

So while he is trying to make money and ranking up slowly, I'm already racing with the best car that our rank can provide, and probably, ranking up fast.

Races will possibly be the only thing you may have an advantage on though...and that will only be at first. There will be so much to do that you could simply pass on the races initially and just come back when you can afford to buy a better car. 

I'm sure that you can rank up just as quick doing other stuff. Whilst they're ranking up doing races, I'll be ranking up doing robberies, etc,.

Then when I've got money to afford the better cars, I'll join in the racing. 

You are assuming that winning a race will rank you up quicker than completing any of the other numerous activities that will be available. 

R* have already said that buying in-game money won't affect the balance of the game, so why would you jump to the assumption that it will?

geisweiller
  • geisweiller

The Boss

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Races will possibly be the only thing you may have an advantage on though...and that will only be at first. There will be so much to do that you could simply pass on the races initially and just come back when you can afford to buy a better car. 

I'm sure that you can rank up just as quick doing other stuff. Whilst they're ranking up doing races, I'll be ranking up doing robberies, etc,.

Then when I've got money to afford the better cars, I'll join in the racing. 

You are assuming that winning a race will rank you up quicker than completing any of the other numerous activities that will be available. 

R* have already said that buying in-game money won't affect the balance of the game, so why would you jump to the assumption that it will?

I hope you're right and R* too. Really. Because all others games with this cash mechanic, works like pay-to-win. R* is assuming that cash won't affect, they can't be sure yet.

Racing will not rank up you fast than the others activities, well, this will depend in how much XP you will earn in each one. But if you have the best car you'll probably win often and rank up faster.

SkyArmor
  • SkyArmor

i like trains

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

i plan on buying a rhino w/ my cash cards & imma go through every street in los santos & kill everyone i meet :)

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

i plan on buying a rhino w/ my cash cards & imma go through every street in los santos & kill everyone i meet :)

I plan to buy a cargobob so I can hijack your rhino with you in it and drop it in the sea ;)

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

The principle of DLC is wrong, but it is the future, I am afraid, as I don`t see the "community" boycotting the model. So, we can only hope it won`t be the slap in the face we think it will be. 

It's not wrong though is it. DLC, is no different from expansion packs that have been available for games for years. For example, Battlefield 2 released expansions in Special Forces, Euro Forces and Armoured Fury.

GTA London on PS1 and PC, required the original GTA to work.

You don't HAVE to buy them. I bought 'The Last of Us', but didn't bother buying the DLC season pass, and I still enjoyed the game immensely.

• Cavintine likes this

SkyArmor
  • SkyArmor

i like trains

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

gunna blow your cargo up before you get me cuz im the king of gta xD no one is better than me lol

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

The races may even have entry requirements ?? So only certain cars can enter certain races. In that case, having one of the better car will mean that you can only race other people who a better car. In this case, you'll have no advantage over someone who can only afford a basic car, as they'll be in a basic car race.

Also, considering that boosting cars is a big part of GTA...why can't you boost a car from the street and race it ? Just like in SP. No-one has said you can't. 

It might just be that buying the car ensures that you always have access to it without having to steal one again...just like in SP. 

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm all for micro-transactions.  As long as I am not REQUIRED to spend more money over the $60 I already spent, I'm good.

I'm also getting a huge kick out of reading *everything* posted by the opposition.  Some people, you'd think they believed the world was coming to an end.  Hilarity!

• Cavintine likes this

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Want some cheese?

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

have fun with your bad rep and no one wanting to play with you.

ClingingMArs
  • ClingingMArs

=AoD= Prospect

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

is this GTAforums or IGN? the f*ck do you expect? everyone to be debbie downers?

ONEkingscar
  • ONEkingscar

The stealth toker

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I don't know why people are complaining.I'm happy people can buy cash cards just so I can rob them for that.

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Buy money for money.
Buy best car

pimp it out

race in pimp car

win every time

rank up

That's if you start a race while in free-roam. You use your custom vehicles in races by pulling up your cellphone and customizing a race. You can also race by pulling up your cellphone and finding a lobby of racers. Everyone can use the same type of cars, regardless of what you own. I might not own a sports car, but I can create a lobby where everyone gets sports cars to race, similar to GTA4's. 

Jon39
  • Jon39

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

As my zen master told me "it's not the destination but the journey that teaches, and remember to duck behind cover when you need to reload"

ClingingMArs
  • ClingingMArs

=AoD= Prospect

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

the fact is the reason this exists is because not only are they considering GTA Online to be separate from GTA V, but they plan to support it going forward with free DLC they have already announced and likely new places to go too. Not to mention this will likely switch to nextgen too as a stand alone game.

THE DRAGOON
  • THE DRAGOON

BRING ME ANOTHER!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

In their eyes they are a business first. In their eyes they can exploit every avenue as possible, as a gaming community it's up to us how much we tolerate. If they can get away with charging in game currency and making it harder to obtain in the process they will do it, because from a business standpoint why shouldn't they?

It's just up to players with how much they want to be exploited and where the line is drawn. My personal view is if it doesn't provide anything to the players experience and you have plenty of options to do so you are being greedy. If it's got the potential to subtract from those that don't pay more, it's even worse.

Because you don't know what the hell they even plan on doing yet, do you? Do you in all actuality know what they plan on doing? 

It's obvious some things are going to go down in price. The payout for banks might not be the same as they were in SP. However, it's apparently decided before that on why. R* put all the prices down for everything apparently, so like, a 1 mil priced car may not be 1 mil in the game. 

However, in that same link you saw that I was also on that topic, it mentioned how gun upgrades will cost alot more. Guns. You know, the main tool to actually take out the playe. Meaning, it's not going to help to be pay 2 win. On a side note, like I said, you have no idea what they're going to do with the economy yet. 

Do I think there will be some changes for the card? Sure. Do I also think it's fair to compare different online MMO's that were strictly ALWAYS MMO's when this is R*'s first shot at doing this? Hell no. They haven't "screwed you over" before with these things, they're releasing what seems like cheap cash cards. They're not screwing you over like the others yet, and you people claiming they're the antichrist for doing so really do need a reality check with that sort of thing. 

Wait till October 1st. See what happens. If they reduce robbing the biggest bank to 300 dollars as the reward, I'll be standing right with you bitching. Until then, I see no point. 

DocPip
  • DocPip

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Not really. Its just common bloody sense.

Martin Madrazo
  • Martin Madrazo

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

You dont need money to own a car.. steal one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users