Photo

Analogy between GTA V and Real Life

1 reply to this topic
zkottalxndr
  • zkottalxndr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

I've been playing GTA V lately, and by playing I mean watching my brother and his friend play as in my turn I would always end up dead very fast. And as I got "WASTED", I couldn't stop thinking about real life and obviously death.

GTA V came out about a week ago, it wasn't too long before cheats and walkthrough guides appeared on the internet, so we decided to try out an exploit that would made us filthy rich so that we could buy weapons and ammo, fast cars, go to the strip club and in general have fun.

I noticed how "real" everything was, of course Rockstar did an excellent job at the physics of the game, but what I meant to say is that the mechanics of the game resembles real life very well. 

In the game, in order to have fun do what you want and have all the money you could ever use, you have to either earn it in an unlawful way or use cheats and exploits. There is also the "right" way to make money, which are the side missions like playing a taxi cab driver role, etc.  In real life, it's pretty much the same, without the cheat codes...

An interesting thing happened after playing just a weekend. When you are playing GTA V, completing missions, earning dirty money, killing other gangsters and achieving hard to do tasks you get a sense of satisfaction that completely goes away when you realize it's just a video game and that the time you are spending in it would have been better used to achieve your dreams in real life.

And then I thought about it for a minute. In the game, you can be the most wanted gangster in the world, have all the millions you want, have fun and do pretty much what ever you want. But when is time to turn off the console, or just when the battery dies on the one controller you own and you have to come back to real life,  all that time and effort spent in the game has no real value in life.

Something even more interesting happens in real life! I've seen all kinds of people, from the ones that have it all, to those that have nothing at all. The rich seem to have a nice time thru life, but I can't be entirely sure about that. The poor, they are not having such a good time for sure.

In conclusion, I guess it doesn't really matter if you are rich or poor, when the time to "turn off the console" comes, you'll realize that all that effort wasn't worth it. Truth is no one can proof, or nobody even has an idea of what is going to happen when we die, so the question that remains is: Is it really worth it? Is anything really worth it? 

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Mahogany den writer, between the ashtrays and nuts.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

There's always that kind of depersonalization when playing a video game. If we as gamers get our heads that deeply involved into a game that it can become our lives. When playing GTA V, you can become one of the biggest criminals out there, but even then the  delivery system is off. Your status remains the same. You always remain a rich family man, a psychotically brash hillbilly who does gun runs, and an ex-repo, ex-CGF hustler.

Racking up money with taxis, stealing, killing, salvaging, racing, stunting, and doing everything that Rockstar said you could do, feels like an achievement. But in the end, when you do switch off the console. You believe that there's more to life, and that you have wasted your time. 

Why is that?

Ask yourself the same as what I ask myself. 

1. Did you enjoy the game, and if, for a brief time, did it make you happy--does playing it make you happy? 

2. Have you loved playing GTA since you were young? Since the first GTA came out? 

If your answer to both was yes, then why isn't playing these games, and enjoying them, a revelation of life? If you can sit down, and play the game, and relate, or laugh, or at times with the stories, even let out a cry of sorrow, then isn't that an achievement in itself? Isn't playing with these characters, living their lives, seeing them go through conflict, what you enjoy? That's an indulgence, an ironic indulgence at that! 

You can tell yourself: "You have wasted your time playing this game." But how so? What about twenty years from now, when you look back and think "That game made me see the analogy of life versus video games, and that gave me a kick up the arse and set my successful life in motion!" 

And even when you're successful, you'd still play GTA, and why? Because playing these kind of games, -and in my experience, from a young age (GTA 1, 1996 - I was five years old, been hooked on them ever since.) - there's something about them. We love the action, the characters, and everything else. And if we take some time away from our normal schedules to play, laugh, and maybe even shed a small tear, then isn't that what life really is about? Enjoying things that make us happy? And not what others expect to make us happy? 

Food for thought. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users