Photo

Is 16 payers enough?

37 replies to this topic
RGC Dynamics
  • RGC Dynamics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

When the online video first came out I was excited because it seemed there would be a lot of players in one game. But now I'm losing hope if all we are getting is 16 players how is free roam suppose to feel lively chaotic and fun. I pictured crews doing drive by on rivals, heists going on, and people racing. With only 16 players how is that suppose to happen. The crew I'm in could easily fill out an entire lobby with only 16 player slots :/. What are your guy's opinion on the matter?

Clintonk2
  • Clintonk2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'm not sure the servers could handle more than 16.

Next-Gen Consoles will be up to 32 people I think.

ProGamerGov
  • ProGamerGov

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by ProGamerGov, 26 September 2013 - 02:20 AM.

Its a bandwidth limitation by Sony and Microsoft that could be modified for the cash cow that gta is.

RGC Dynamics
  • RGC Dynamics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

More than 16 is possible if MMO's like Defiance are on consoles and eldersrolls online is coming to consoles then I'm calling bull sh*t.

TrickishDonkey
  • TrickishDonkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

More than 16 is possible if MMO's like Defiance are on consoles and eldersrolls online is coming to consoles then I'm calling bull sh*t.

gta is different. mmkay

Xavier Horovitz
  • Xavier Horovitz

Yolo Swaggins

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

People on this forum seem so sure that the game is coming to next-gen consoles. Yeah, it makes sense, but when Rockstar has flat out said things like "There is no PS4 version in development" it kind of takes away the suspense. As for 16 players being enough, GTA IV's free roam always felt pretty crowded. I was always running into people. It'll be nice to have some breathing room.

midniteryu
  • midniteryu

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

16 players may not seem like alot, but when you factor in fast cars, jets and helicopters I'm pretty sure no matter where you go they will find you.

MajesticJazz
  • MajesticJazz

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

Geez you people are so submissive towards Rockstar. I agree with the OP, 16 players is way too small for a map as big as Los Santos with the surrounding countryside and oceans.

qNEW-_-BOYp
  • qNEW-_-BOYp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

more players = possibly more lag

LosSantosOG
  • LosSantosOG

I don't pop Molly I rock Tom Ford

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Rockstar is not going to get enough money from 16, I think they need more payers...

Omar Comin
  • Omar Comin

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'll just wait for the PC version which will be like SA:RP. 100-ish players? yes please.

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think they should fork over more money to pay for better servers to host more players. To overcome any lag issues they could simply have some parts of the game phase if major events are going on to bring that number down to 16. I don't think the player count being slightly higher would be a problem if the servers were better, 32 would probably push the limit for this gen though.

Skellyhell
  • Skellyhell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Problem is the lack of dedicated servers.

If each person is ina  totally different area of the map the server will need to add in peds and cars for each of those areas which increases the load a fair bit, each extra player potentially adds more and more data needing to be loaded which would lead to massive lag

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Other games pull it off in much bigger games with more players, so it's not an impossibility. It just comes down to whether or not they can be arsed paying for more expensive servers or not. They can pay for cheaper servers that can only host 16 players, or they can pay for more expensive servers and get higher income from people buying dlc more due to the experience being better.

I don't blame them for going with smaller servers as a business, but they could make it so there are more people if they put the money in. And if anything is true it's that they have the money and potential to make more money to fund such a thing.

As for in game lag caused by the increase in players they can just phase some of the content if people are on the other side of the map. So all of the extra cars being spawned  aren't loaded on your game unless you are within playable distance of those players. This would mean that the map as a whole could be more filled, with the potential for more players in the same zone as you being higher.

Born_Homicidal
  • Born_Homicidal

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

I agree with the OP, considering how crews  and all the crazy sh*t you can do now, it would feel that maybe only having 2 crews in one lobby would suck considering how tons of people are looking for a crew, mine alone can take up more than half the slots which would only leave room for 4 others in a lobby..

bf4 on 360 is said to have 32 players in one lobby now (once it comes out)

RGC Dynamics
  • RGC Dynamics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

I just feel free roam is going to lack luster won't have the chaos and epic ness I imagined guess Rockstar just wants to be lazy

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:04 PM Edited by DaCosta, 26 September 2013 - 11:05 PM.

I'm really happy that Los Santos seems so busy in single player. Cars drive at break-neck speed on freeways, drivers are aggressive and can even come after you and cops are actually good at getting your car off the road.

Because of this, and the fact that the roads are always busy, even at a long draw distance, the 16 players limit won't feel like such a limitation, in my opinion.

GTA IV (online modes) felt empty to me because of the lack of traffic, and busyness from NPC's. If GTA Online has the full traffic of GTA V, and 16 players, potentially having 16 loads of 5* cops in tow, and alert NPC's driving in-between - that will be astounding!

As for crew on crew gaming: I think the other (non free-roam) modes will allow for this too, so there will still be lots of rivalries and revenge!

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

16 will be plenty, that said we might see some serious boosts to the player count on 360 if microsoft decides to boost theyr old console with some cloud love aswell ( doubtful though )

Itislupus
  • Itislupus

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

True. However most of the chaotic areas are instanced off(read: phased). With ark falls being a sea of generic Joe skins. I'm glad they kept it low, I dislike people. And hope that any irritating little brats that are online can be kicked. Seeing as they shouldn't be playing this anyway

ImBoss450
  • ImBoss450

Im a Boss

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Rockstar is not going to get enough money from 16, I think they need more payers...

PS3 and XBOX 360 can simply not handle much players. 16-24 is natural to me. Rockstar doesn't get money when someone joins online, GTA O is free..

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:06 AM Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 27 September 2013 - 02:08 AM.

I'm f*cking astonished at what Rockstar can do with current gen as it is. I mean f*ck, 256MB of RAM? Really? My old Athlon XP system from like f*cking 2001 had more than quadruple that amount of RAM for f*ck's sakes. It's pathetic. Yet these guys over at Rockstar somehow manage to not only make a visually impressive game for 2013, they also make it work on these ancient ass consoles. That's nuts.

16 players really isn't enough to fully sell the idea of GTA:O, which is a massive city being filled with people doing their own thing, and I am confident that one day we will have the hardware to live that dream, but unfortunately for today we simply don't have it. So for now, 16 will have to do.

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:09 AM Edited by Fizwalker, 27 September 2013 - 02:15 AM.

I thought there was a post saying they bumped it up to 32.....

Seems that was just a rumor...

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I'm f*cking astonished at what Rockstar can do with current gen as it is. I mean f*ck, 256MB of RAM? Really? My old Athlon XP system from like f*cking 2001 had more than quadruple that amount of RAM for f*ck's sakes. It's pathetic. Yet these guys over at Rockstar somehow manage to not only make a visually impressive game for 2013, they also make it work on these ancient ass consoles. That's nuts.

16 players really isn't enough to fully sell the idea of GTA:O, which is a massive city being filled with people doing their own thing, and I am confident that one day we will have the hardware to live that dream, but unfortunately for today we simply don't have it. So for now, 16 will have to do.

Guess I never really looked up the stats for the 360.... I thought it was a little better than that! lol

ThirdCoastG187
  • ThirdCoastG187

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

no cuz I wanna roll on yall wit all my 420 homies at the same damn time its gone be hell for whoever get blitzed

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Dont take anything for granted, it could all be gone soon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

I just feel free roam is going to lack luster won't have the chaos and epic ness I imagined guess Rockstar just wants to be lazy

What are you talking about "Rockstar just wants to be lazy"... :sui:

You obviously know nothing about how dedicated Rockstar are and the incredible achievements they've made on such limited hardware...

FXtrader
  • FXtrader

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

16 will be okay

32 would be ideal

Born_Homicidal
  • Born_Homicidal

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

I'm really happy that Los Santos seems so busy in single player. Cars drive at break-neck speed on freeways, drivers are aggressive and can even come after you and cops are actually good at getting your car off the road.

Because of this, and the fact that the roads are always busy, even at a long draw distance, the 16 players limit won't feel like such a limitation, in my opinion.

GTA IV (online modes) felt empty to me because of the lack of traffic, and

busyness from NPC's. If GTA Online has the full traffic of GTA V, and 16 players, potentially having 16 loads of 5* cops in tow, and alert NPC's driving in-between - that will be astounding!

As for crew on crew gaming: I think the other (non free-roam) modes will allow for this too, so there will still be lots of rivalries and revenge!

the real crew is experience is all about the free roam, i had such a great experience in Red Dead that when i joined TDMs i felt bored and cant see how groups only do PvP when free roam gives you so much more..

2 crews in one lobby will suck ass imo

hadrianswall
  • hadrianswall

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

not really , not for the size of the world , can see them extending the player count in time and the pc version getting at least double by the time it rolls out 

kopkiller666
  • kopkiller666

I kill Police Officers

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

PS3 and XBOX 360 can simply not handle much players. 16-24 is natural to me. Rockstar doesn't get money when someone joins online, GTA O is free..

Man PS3 has MMO's with thousands and thousands on at a time ff14 has like a million. Dust 514 has 64 vs. 64 iirc and MAG had 128 vs. 128 so they can definitely add more players if rockstar chooses too.

Pegerino
  • Pegerino

The Heist Driver

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

think of the lag it will cause, 32players is too much !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users