Quantcast

» «
Photo

Known fixes for common issues. Freezing/pop-in/bad textures etc.

56 replies to this topic
Robbo1987
  • Robbo1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble too. I originally had disc one on the internal hard drive, and disc 2 on an external sata hard drive. It seemed to work well but the further i got through the game the worse it seems to get. I bought a 32gb flash drive (cruzer glide so not quite as high spec'd as the one mentioned) and it hasn't improved things at all and I'm not really prepared to go spending more money on a higher spec usb drive so I guess i'm just gonna have to live with it.

Thing's where totally fine at first with the external drive, but with either the usb flash or the external hard drive (which is sata)  it's now equally as bad.

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:18 AM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 09 October 2013 - 01:27 PM.

What f*cking theory ? 0_o  So you are telling me that your 16MB/s read capped USB drive gives you better performance than a SATAII based internal hard drive ?

No, I'm saying a Sandisk Cruzer Extreme is faster than the DVD player in the X360 and performs almost equal to the HDD.

You can read more about it here: http://www.trustedre...xbox-360_Page-3

Rule of Two
  • Rule of Two

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

@ trevdaperv

Your post is based on theory, while in practice people get a far better performance when they install disc 2 on a decent flash drive.

And I get an even better performance with disc 2 on HDD and disc 1 on the Sandisk Cruzer flashdrive.

What f*cking theory ? 0_o  So you are telling me that your 16MB/s read capped USB drive gives you better performance than a SATAII based internal hard drive ?

Good ol' sugar pill works every single time.

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:51 PM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 09 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

*sigh*

Apparently the lack of hardware knowledge isn't stopping people from posting bullsh*t. Or making cheap shots like Rule of Two did. (who joined 2 days ago and is already an useless forummember, well done, you'll fit right in)

So this is for the people that actually care.

The SATA controller in the X360 is SATA1 and not SATA2. Not that it matters because MS uses SATA1 harddrives anyway. Especially the 20GB harddrive that came with the older X360 models is particularly slow, with a benchmark that's simular to this 20GB Maxtor harddrive:

eRYfiG6.jpg

Now, while the X360 has USB 2.0 it still benefits from new USB 3.0 flashdrives. Because those flashdrives have an onboard controller made for USB 3.0 speeds. That means a very low access time and CPU load. Both are immediately noticeable when they're used with a X360.

Unfortunately a lot of USB 3.0 flashdrives aren't really that fast, for various reasons. Mostly the manufacturer uses a cheaper and therefor slower controller. The Sandisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB has a fast controller so it performs quite good with the X360. It beats the DVD player handsdown and for X360 users that experience pop-ups in GTA V when played from DVD that's all that counts.

For me, with a 5 year old X360 + 20GB harddrive, installing disc 1 on USB and disc 2 on the HDD fixed all the pop-up issues GTA V had. The game loads faster too and the ingame map has barely no load times at all.

gunmedown
  • gunmedown

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Going to try the usb trick, see if it works.

Texture pop ins are REALLY bad for me, pissing me off now. I will be driving then all of a sudden crash into something that just appeared on to the screen, really is frustrating.

Hopefully I can get this fixed.

xprss67
  • xprss67

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Has anyone had other games freeze after installing gtav? I had no freezing issues with dead island riptide but now 10 minutes into playing the game I get pixelated bars over a black screen. This happens even when I delete all gtav install and clear cache in my system. Are game updates saved somewhere else? I don't understand what could all of the sudden cause my other games to freeze like gtav . Is my Xbox destroyed now?

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Has anyone had other games freeze after installing gtav? I had no freezing issues with dead island riptide but now 10 minutes into playing the game I get pixelated bars over a black screen. This happens even when I delete all gtav install and clear cache in my system. Are game updates saved somewhere else? I don't understand what could all of the sudden cause my other games to freeze like gtav . Is my Xbox destroyed now?

I seriously doubt one game would destroy your Xbox, lmao.

mk_flow
  • mk_flow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

R * Support told me that a problem with the RAM can be reason for the crashes. The lady thinks that the xbox has problems to clear the RAM and therefore crashes after a while. She said that in this case R * can't do anything. This is bullsh*t isn't it? In my opinion they can determine what, how much and how long the data is stored in RAM. So they should be able to control and fix it. What do you guys think about that?

ghostfac3
  • ghostfac3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM Edited by ghostfac3, 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM.

Im having massive issues. During a mission my PS3 froze. I had to unplug my PS3 from the power outlet to restart and since then the PS3 does not read any discs. I've done the trouble shooting options listed here however im still experiencing the same issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

SovereignX_x
  • SovereignX_x

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:16 AM Edited by SovereignX_x, 20 October 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Im having massive issues. During a mission my PS3 froze. I had to unplug my PS3 from the power outlet to restart and since then the PS3 does not read any discs. I've done the trouble shooting options listed here however im still experiencing the same issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh yes. I've got similar if not the same issues there. In any case. My PS3 ((60GB-FAT)) managed to run the game ever so smooth in my first hour's though after a good time, I've had my first freeze. And from there on, they began to show up occasionally. More and more. In GTA Online its even worse and so far every patch managed to reduce the time I can actually play before it freezes. Once it freezes, so does my entire PS3 system. And once restarted, sometimes it doesnt even show the Disk in the XmB. Tried every solution so far. What makes me worried more is that so many other's.. if not the mass though, has these issues.

Oh yeah.. Also checked if its my save-file that may be corrupted.. it aint.

BobbyL
  • BobbyL

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

If you're having this type of problem: http://www.lightchan...ka_close_button where everything looks pixelated at nights, a possible reason is your brightness is at max, reducing to 50% or less will significantly improve the graphics.

OregonMtnLion
  • OregonMtnLion

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

GTA V has only froze up JUST ONCE for me, earlier this evening (Fri, Oct 25, 2013). I had been playing single player (I have NEVER even tried going online after hearing all of the nasty stories about it...) for only about 30 minutes tonight, and (as Trevor) went to his rural trailer to watch TV (and I've unlocked Trevor's Vestpucci Beach safehouse a long time ago). The entire console completely froze while watching CNT, exactly after the "implant outsource" commercial finished (that is i think the 3rd ad after the show hosted by the FIB agent called "Underbelly Of Paradise", i know, because i watched the last two minutes of it, and saw the end credits that satirize the end credits from "Cops" in real life). The [fake, not real] TV screen went pitch black, and I couldn't get my controller to respond, not even the big Xbox "Home" button in the middle of it (so i couldn't even go to the dashboard). I ended up shutting the console down by touching the green light on front of Xbox. I restarted and played for 30 more minutes without any problems. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to do a "hard reset" like i did that same part of the fake TV "broadcast". Otherwise, i have had zero issues with this game.
Note: my last mission i finished before this happened was a "Strangers and Freaks" mission where Trevor & Cletus used a rifle to shoot satellite dishes, pop tires, and hunt coyotes. i am using an Xbox 360 slim from 2010 with 250 GB HDD, more than 150 GB on it are empty after installation of GTA V Disc 1 to HDD (two weeks ago, I installed Disc 2 to an empty 16GB flash drive plugged into the bottom USB slot on rear of Xbox, before that, i was playing disc two off of DVD drive since Sept 17, decided to put disc two on USB with concerns over future scratching. My AV display is an LCD computer monitor, using an Xbox 360 VGA AV cable.

Peck R. Wood
  • Peck R. Wood

rural crime lord & pastor

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Any possible solution for the (many) jaggies and pixelled edges?

mb_960714
  • mb_960714

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hello , Im new here and I have a few questions about the freeze and pop in problems. I have a 2009 Xbox 360 with a 120gb hard drive and its chipped , but i don't use pirated games. When I first got GTAV it was literally unplayable , pop ins and freezes were AWFUL , so I changed the lens . It showed slight improvements but it still wasn't good enough and then I got a 16gb "Silicon Power" flash drive very cheap and not that great (read speed 20mb and write 12mb). I didn't see any difference at all.So my question is this .

Should I get a new faster Flash drive ? and does the chip have anything to do with the pop ins and freezes?

FLUDGE
  • FLUDGE

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

This guide is only partial. There are a few steps missing such as removing GTA data files before reformatting. VGM has a great guide here: http://videogamemano...ezing-solutions

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

Ryan_ aka 4:20

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

1. Delete all GTAV game data.

2. Clear system cache three times.
3. Delete marketplace data from storage system items.
4. Unplug console for three minutes.
5. Install disc 1.
6. Power off, do not insert disc 2.
7. Restart.
8. Install disc 2.
9. Play.

I don't know why, but it worked so far for me... No problems since. All I know for sure is that when I followed these exact steps, and this was the third time I had to download this game from 360 market place, it worked. On this attempt, I left the system totally alone while the download processes were taking place. Start the download and turn off the Xbox, and let it finish. That's what I did.

You should have seen the smile when I arrived at the dealership.. ;)

Best Wishes.

Extellenova
  • Extellenova

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm having the same problem. It was working smoothly the past few weeks, but now it's freezing like mad. I tried everything -from formating to rebuilding the database, but it only worked temporarily. 

I've did the first mission so many times..., yet no avail.

ElaphantMen
  • ElaphantMen

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

How do you test your flash drive speed ? :yawn:

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

How do you test your flash drive speed ? :yawn:

Hello, I have just googled "How do you test your flash drive speed ?" and found several results. I suggest you do the same as you will need to know the make and drive size of your device.

I don't wish to post links as this may be considered to be advertising or endorsing websites which is against forum rules.

screenhog15
  • screenhog15

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

Im on ps3 and none of those tips work for me, and my disk is in perfect condition 

Virus115
  • Virus115

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

I need answer to these questions 

1. Is it safe to safe/does the graphics change when installing the install disk on a external hard drive with performance warning (it is connected with usb) The hard drive is WD Elements 500 gb?

2. Can i see better when i sits further from the tv?

3. How can i reduce lag?

¨

Please help me, i really need help!!!

Virus115
  • Virus115

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Can i move the install disk to an usb from a usb connected external harddrive and then install the play disk on the external harddrive ?

If i install the install disk to a usb and the play disk to an external usb connected harddrive, then should i put the save game on the external harddrive?

antigolfboy
  • antigolfboy

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

this sh*t is really starting to piss me off. So about a couple weeks ago my GTA was working fine online an offline running smoothly.Then up until like about last week my game starting freezing at the loading screen aka Infinite loading screen so today I've did about everything in my power to fix i restore my entire PS3. I restored the system data base and file system and i even took the time to backup my save data of everything on my PS3 to a flash drive to see if it was the save data that was messing it up. I've also checked the fan to make sure it's running properly so after i restore my system i went back an did another data restore and played the game it started a new game an started working for a minute till the game stopped like i was still playing and moving but Trevor and the other guy weren't following me. So i restarted and did a restore file data started it up again and tried once more this f*cking time i got to the part with Lamar and Franklin racing the cars then f*cking BAM the game freezes my entire console. As of now the only thing i have on my PS3 is the GTA data nothing else i have no idea what to do and am really need help fixing this problem and also it's not my disc cause it doesn't have a SINGLE  scratch on it  (p.s when i was making sure my PS3 was cool i had a fan next to it sooooo yeah...)

Dr.Rosenthal
  • Dr.Rosenthal

Police Mocker

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

this sh*t is really starting to piss me off. So about a couple weeks ago my GTA was working fine online an offline running smoothly.Then up until like about last week my game starting freezing at the loading screen aka Infinite loading screen so today I've did about everything in my power to fix i restore my entire PS3. I restored the system data base and file system and i even took the time to backup my save data of everything on my PS3 to a flash drive to see if it was the save data that was messing it up. I've also checked the fan to make sure it's running properly so after i restore my system i went back an did another data restore and played the game it started a new game an started working for a minute till the game stopped like i was still playing and moving but Trevor and the other guy weren't following me. So i restarted and did a restore file data started it up again and tried once more this f*cking time i got to the part with Lamar and Franklin racing the cars then f*cking BAM the game freezes my entire console. As of now the only thing i have on my PS3 is the GTA data nothing else i have no idea what to do and am really need help fixing this problem and also it's not my disc cause it doesn't have a SINGLE  scratch on it  (p.s when i was making sure my PS3 was cool i had a fan next to it sooooo yeah...)

You and I seem to be in the same boat. You haven't found any solution yet, I figure?

I've also tried everything that R* Support and the community suggests, but nothing helps. My disc looks super-mint and has worked perfectly fine up until two months back or so when the freezing started.

I also tried my disc on another system and then everything worked fine. Bugs me that this is obviously a very common issue, and it's only related to GTA V and still no one seems to have any idea what the true problem is.

Dr.Rosenthal
  • Dr.Rosenthal

Police Mocker

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hallelujah everyone! I think I f*cking did it.

How? By cleaning the blu ray-lens with a q tip and some acetone.

Guide on how to open up and clean:

Most people don't seem to recommend using acetone and instead use alkohol (isopropyl), which may be a better option - but since the Blu ray lens is made of glass acetone works just as fine. Just be careful not to get acetone on any plastic parts, and only use a very small amount. (soak some of the acetone of the q tip with a paper towel so that it's not drenched in the stuff, you don't want it dripping into your system)

I rubbed both lenses thoroughly back and forth for a while, then waited for it to dry/evaporate, and then repeated that with clean acetone q tips like 3 times.

Then I put the system back together. I had also uninstalled any previous save data and game data to make sure that the system would make a completely OK install this time around.

And it actually installed fine, and has worked now in both SP and Online for a couple of hours. I've also tried quitting the game, dismounting the disc and remounting it and the game starts up fine.

So before, my fail rate was probably like 99% and this far it's down to 0% which means that I'm at least on the right way. I'm still waiting for it to crash, and well, it might of course, but it seems like this did the trick.

I'm surprised R* never suggested that the error might have to do with the lens - it's also a really easy fix. As I mentioned earlier, I got the error message 80010514 which got me thinking that it was related to the Bluray drive - also it seems other games worked fine because they're not dual layered.

If you're trying this, I would suggest doing it as a final step after trying all else that R* support suggests - but if anyone can relate to the troubles I've had, I hope this strategy will help you like it helped me. Also, remember to eject any discs from the drive before you open up your system!

If I freeze again, I'll keep you posted on the circumstances...

Also, it goes without saying that this might not be recommended if you still have a warranty. It's an easy operation, but if you have a warranty you might want to consider exchanging your system for new one through Sony.

Cheers, everyone!

(I made this post in the other freeze/texture lag thread originally, but since the subjects are related I figured I might as well put it here too)

triplem
  • triplem

X-Degenerate

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

Fixes:

Freezing/pop-in/bad textures/installation 360:

1. TheRealBars, on 19 Sept 2013 - 1:11 PM, said:

Install Disc 1 to HDD
Install Disc 2 to High speed USB

This is the most efficient combination, with a gain of 4MB/sec read speed over the DVD drive. (Improved performance)
Now i can recommend a high speed USB sticks, that exceed the speeds of the requirement by quite a bit.
SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB 3.0 - 190MB/s Read (Capped at 15mb/s USB 2.0) ReadyBoost available (Small files read quick)http://www.amazon.co...extreme usb 3.0
I sell these at my shop to all Xbox users when they tell me they want to install games (Before GTA V even) Super fast, decent price.
Use it myself, barely ever had pop up with dvd, with this, i seem to have NONE. (used this as well with the BF3 HD patch - Same issue with the installation on the same drive)

2. (Far from successful, worked for four people including myself on my Slim 250GB so far)

1. Delete all GTAV game data.
2. Clear system cache three times.
3. Delete marketplace data from storage system items.
4. Unplug console for three minutes.
5. Install disc 1.
6. Power off, do not insert disc 2.
7. Restart.
8. Install disc 2.
9. Play.

If issues persist repeat steps 1-7 then play from disc 2.

Some people have reported playing music from the System Music Player allowed them to play without freezes for a short while.

Freezing/pop-in/bad textures/installation PS3:

Back up any data.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button.  If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Step 4: We recommending performing the safe mode options in the following order until one of the options works for you. If one of the options work, do not continue onto the other options.

Restore File System
    Rebuild Database

No sound on PS3:

• With the PS3 off, hold down the power button.
  • After the first beep, continue to hold the power button.
  • Continue to hold until you hear a second single beep then release.
  • Press and hold the power button again until you hear 3 short beeps then release.
  • Then press it one more time until you hear 3 short beeps then release.

Notes:

Keep your console(s) cool and well ventilated.

A small percentage may have defective discs, try exchanging them.

If you're experiencing freezing during a specific mission you can kill the character three times and skip that mission.

For resolution issues try running the game in 720p.

Hope that helps.

I haven't included the R* auto-reply 'fix' because I haven't heard of that working for anybody as of yet, and I'm sure you already have it if you have these issues.

Link to R* GTAV Support page listing common issues/updates/solutions: http://support.rocks...chnical-Support

Link to submit ticket to R* USA: http://support.rocks...us/requests/new

Link to R* support contact info: http://support.rocks...rt-Contact-Info

Send me a message if you have any questions, don't want to clog up the thread.

Please post any other possible solutions below.

Thanks.

Before you do any of that... I had the typical issue of the game suddenly freezing randomly, sometimes a minute into the game, sometimes after a few minutes of play.... and the only thing I could do was restart the PS3....  so if you have that issue.... do two things. One, clean the disc, and make sure there is no smudges or dirt marks.... and two, clean the lenses of the console. It might be a pain in the ass for older ps3 consoles, but simple if you have a slim line. There is two lenses, one id DVD and one is Bluray... that's why when you pop in another game it runs fine... GTA5 is a dual layer game... you probably popped in a game that's not dual layer and it works perfectly because it's not reading from the same lens.

Lumpy Mango
  • Lumpy Mango

Player Lover <3

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

Well, I was using Modio to put a save onto my USB. All is fine. I put the USB into my Xbox 360 and try to load up GTA 5. And it says that it can't read the disc. I tried wiping it and that didn't work. Other games work fine, but GTA 5 doesn't. I tried taking the USB out of the Xbox in case the save for GTA 5 done something. That didn't work. Not sure what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes I tried searching my problem up on the Internet, but no one has anything like this. Thanks in advance!

-Lumpy Mango 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users