Quantcast

» «
Photo

Known fixes for common issues. Freezing/pop-in/bad textures etc.

56 replies to this topic
purplebunny
  • purplebunny

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:25 AM Edited by purplebunny, 16 October 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Fixes:

Freezing/pop-in/bad textures/installation 360:

1. TheRealBars, on 19 Sept 2013 - 1:11 PM, said:

Install Disc 1 to HDD
Install Disc 2 to High speed USB

This is the most efficient combination, with a gain of 4MB/sec read speed over the DVD drive. (Improved performance)
Now i can recommend a high speed USB sticks, that exceed the speeds of the requirement by quite a bit.
SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB 3.0 - 190MB/s Read (Capped at 15mb/s USB 2.0) ReadyBoost available (Small files read quick)http://www.amazon.co...extreme usb 3.0
I sell these at my shop to all Xbox users when they tell me they want to install games (Before GTA V even) Super fast, decent price.
Use it myself, barely ever had pop up with dvd, with this, i seem to have NONE. (used this as well with the BF3 HD patch - Same issue with the installation on the same drive)

2. (Far from successful, worked for four people including myself on my Slim 250GB so far)

1. Delete all GTAV game data.
2. Clear system cache three times.
3. Delete marketplace data from storage system items.
4. Unplug console for three minutes.
5. Install disc 1.
6. Power off, do not insert disc 2.
7. Restart.
8. Install disc 2.
9. Play.

If issues persist repeat steps 1-7 then play from disc 2.

Some people have reported playing music from the System Music Player allowed them to play without freezes for a short while.

Freezing/pop-in/bad textures/installation PS3:

Back up any data.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button.  If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Step 4: We recommending performing the safe mode options in the following order until one of the options works for you. If one of the options work, do not continue onto the other options.

Restore File System
    Rebuild Database

No sound on PS3:

• With the PS3 off, hold down the power button.
  • After the first beep, continue to hold the power button.
  • Continue to hold until you hear a second single beep then release.
  • Press and hold the power button again until you hear 3 short beeps then release.
  • Then press it one more time until you hear 3 short beeps then release.

Notes:

Keep your console(s) cool and well ventilated.

A small percentage may have defective discs, try exchanging them.

If you're experiencing freezing during a specific mission you can kill the character three times and skip that mission.

For resolution issues try running the game in 720p.

Hope that helps.

I haven't included the R* auto-reply 'fix' because I haven't heard of that working for anybody as of yet, and I'm sure you already have it if you have these issues.

Link to R* GTAV Support page listing common issues/updates/solutions: http://support.rocks...chnical-Support

Link to submit ticket to R* USA: http://support.rocks...us/requests/new

Link to R* support contact info: http://support.rocks...rt-Contact-Info

Send me a message if you have any questions, don't want to clog up the thread.

Please post any other possible solutions below.

Thanks.

• Jenia, Pope Fappington, EmptyVoid95 and 2 others like this

Vingeskudt
  • Vingeskudt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:27 PM Edited by Vingeskudt, 26 September 2013 - 08:27 PM.

This is one way to fix lag on PS3.

If you have lag and a Samsung TV, go in to your TV's picture settings and turn off "Motion Plus".
It will help instantly and no more lag at all! 

It might also help on X-Box, if youre also using a Samsung TV with that.

Rouncer
  • Rouncer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:22 AM Edited by Rouncer, 27 September 2013 - 01:22 AM.

ah there was a guide on this, i didnt see it. i just posted one up on the other thread.

ive done this just this second, and its worked. for xbox 360 try the usb guide above.

before i did this, i played gta with the odd restart till around 20% completion. right after that milestone, i couldnt even get to a mission, let alone do a mission, before my 360 would freeze up and force me to reboot it.

now i have done this, installing the 2nd disc (play) to a usb flash drive. ive managed to do a mission and play around 50 minutes so far. for now im going to sleep but i will do more testing tomorrow aswel. i think this will cure a vast majority of peoples 360's freezing. im actually seeing higher fps aswell. the load times between each character has improved drastically as well as the initial game loading. 

I believe very strongly, the optical drive is at fault, gta is pushing xbox to its limit and for me a 4mps read speed dvd drive is no where near as good as gta requires.

soldat89
  • soldat89

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

nice advice but still didnt stop the freezing problems on my PS3

i cleaned my database and files twice

Pope Fappington
  • Pope Fappington

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Using fix 2 on the Xbox, I noticed a slightly higher amount of pop-in (but I really had to LOOK for it) and slightly better FPS (tested with explosions in the desert that previously gave me a FPS of like....6.)

trevdaperv
  • trevdaperv

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

1) READY BOOST feature works only with Windows system so its pointless mentioning it, you just confusing less computer savy people into thinking it somehow affects or will affect their experience for better.

2) I'm sorry but I have to call a bull*** on this whole clear cache 3 x and unplug for 3 minutes everytime you install the disc. Xbox uses regular 2.5 hard drives, there is no magic happening in there, data ain't engraved in wax

3) Whats the point of deleting marketplace data file ?

• iiGh0STt likes this

Afrojacked
  • Afrojacked

I lift heavy things up, and put them down.

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Try this people 

Disc 1 (Install) on the USB Stick

Disc 2 (Play) On the xbox 360 Hard Drive

Works great for my and i had the texture/pop-up problem.

unikatil
  • unikatil

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Try this people 

Currently trying this out.

I hope this works.

unikatil
  • unikatil

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Didn't work.

gta-exfan55
  • gta-exfan55

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

i need to try this

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

The first week or so the textures were fine, but now I'm experiencing pop-ins and ugly draw distances. A separate issue from the install/play disc issue because I didn't install the play disc. This is caused from something else.

Afrojacked
  • Afrojacked

I lift heavy things up, and put them down.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Another tip for you peeps.

For a benchmark. Do a mission replay of 'Franklin and Lamar'

This is what digital foundry also used.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YWNLTE38O1k

gubar
  • gubar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

The first week or so the textures were fine, but now I'm experiencing pop-ins and ugly draw distances. A separate issue from the install/play disc issue because I didn't install the play disc. This is caused from something else.

gubar
  • gubar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Try what Afrojacked suggested. Itfixed my pop in. Like you mine ran fine art first the gradually the pop in got unbearable.

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:10 PM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 29 September 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Try this people 

I did this on my old X360 after I've read TheRealBars post. I already had a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB flashdrive but used it to install disc 2 and still had some pop-up. With Disc 1 on USB and disc 2 on HDD the pop-up is mostly gone. And the game + ingame map loads faster too.

For people with a flashdrive, you can test it with HD tune 2.55 (freeware):

This are the results with the Sandisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB on USB 2.0 (like the X360 has):

ONYMXea.png

unikatil
  • unikatil

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

ce15b3cc52fc3763b85dadccb4a8d211.png

Is this good?

unikatil
  • unikatil

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

I mean this.

b48112e4f739d452365208d2d0e2b052.png

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:34 PM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 29 September 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Looks good, you could try installing disc 1 on it.

Still, from what I've read here and elsewhere, the Sandisk Cruzer 16GB seems like the best flashdrive for the X360 + GTA V.

Silentalien55
  • Silentalien55

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

And what about those awful oily night textures? Any fixes for that?

• Lumpy Mango likes this

mrexar32
  • mrexar32

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:39 AM Edited by mrexar32, 30 September 2013 - 09:40 AM.

just joined this forum and had the same problem that many have had with the disc not loading up on the main PS menu, after a few days of pissing me off I figured out a way that works for me and hoping it might help others who have had this problem.

I turn on the ps3 put the disc in and it doesn't load so I take the disc out, then do the steps of going into safe mode and restore file system. I then restart and try disc again(sometimes it works) but most times doesn't. so I go back into safe mode and then rebuild database.

restart again and try load disc again(once again sometimes works) if it didn't work turn off the system.

now this is weird but is working for me all the time now after all of that I just turn on my ps3 again and try to load disc again if it doesn't work ill take it out and leave the ps3 on for 10 mins or more, I put the disc back in and it seems to load everytime when I do this.

thought I would share this as it still annoys me I need to do this to play a fkn game but atleast now ive been able play it a lot now compared to not at all.

sorry if this has been mentioned already.

madwullie
  • madwullie

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Disc 2 on USB made no difference for me.

Disc 1 on USB and disc 2 in DVD drive works a charm. I'm playing with nothing at all on the HDD and it plays like it should, finally

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Today I bought another Sandisk Cruzer flashdrive and installed disc 2 on it. Now both discs are running from USB and the HDD is only used for cache and savegames.

It only gave a minor improvement compared to disc 2 on HHD/disc 1 USB though. (X360 version)

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

It's got even worse. The pop ins are just absolutely terrible, and the jaggies are up close instead of from a distance. Clearing the system cache and reinstalling the game doesn't work. Couldn't install to my USB due to it being too small, and I really don't feel like investing more money in this, especially after this whole GTA Online debacle.

XirXes
  • XirXes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

On my xbox the dvd wasn't reading well at all. Couldn't even finish the first mission without it crashing. My solution for a while was to have both disks installed to the hdd. This worked but obviously performed terribly. I wanted to move one of the installs off the drive but only had an 8gb flash drive. So what I ended up doing was putting 6gb of the first disc on my flash drive and its running better than my friends does on his traditional install.

Johnnyalright
  • Johnnyalright

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hey, I'm having the freezing issue on two older Xbox 360's and I think I'm going to try your solution with installing disc 2 onto a high speed USB.  I've already tried everything else and your method sounds like it might work.  How exactly is this achieved though?  Can you go into a bit more detail?  Which USB slot do you use?  Also, wouldn't you need to turn off the Xbox after installing disc 1?  Can someone layout a step by step guide for how to do this?

A Warm Coffee
  • A Warm Coffee

ol' Faithful

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

what do you mean install disc 2? i thought only disc 1 had to be installed?

trevdaperv
  • trevdaperv

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:05 AM Edited by trevdaperv, 07 October 2013 - 08:06 AM.

I mean this.

b48112e4f739d452365208d2d0e2b052.png

Thats a cool story, your pc benchmark screenshot is pointless because...

1) Xbox limits host device to 16MB/s of bandwidth because rest of it  is reserved for any additional devices you plugin via USB and/or kinnect so that 30Mb/s read will never be achieved while plugged in into your xbox.

2) Internal Xbox hard drives are generation 2 SATA which technically means they can reach up to 300MB/s of bandwidth

There is a reason why why Rockstar has mandatory installation of a 1st disc to a hard drive not a usb

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:51 PM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 07 October 2013 - 04:08 PM.

@ trevdaperv

Your post is based on theory, while in practice people get a far better performance when they install disc 2 on a decent flash drive.

And I get an even better performance with disc 2 on HDD and disc 1 on the Sandisk Cruzer flashdrive.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

Disc 2 on USB made no difference for me.

Disc 1 on USB and disc 2 in DVD drive works a charm. I'm playing with nothing at all on the HDD and it plays like it should, finally

mine is the complete opposite. i have dics one on a thumb drive and no hdd playing the game from disc 2 and it is almost unplayable with the texture pop ins on my 360.

people are crazy if they think this game will not be releases for xbox one... of course rockstar would say they are not, because it would hinder sales (like it really matters when u make 3 bil on the first day?!?) for the 360. This game was nerfed for 360 and its obvious.

so... is there a way around the texture pop ins with no hdd? maybe two thumb drives? its all i have right now...

trevdaperv
  • trevdaperv

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:05 AM Edited by trevdaperv, 08 October 2013 - 04:06 AM.

@ trevdaperv

Your post is based on theory, while in practice people get a far better performance when they install disc 2 on a decent flash drive.

And I get an even better performance with disc 2 on HDD and disc 1 on the Sandisk Cruzer flashdrive.

What f*cking theory ? 0_o  So you are telling me that your 16MB/s read capped USB drive gives you better performance than a SATAII based internal hard drive ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users