Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should I allow my 17 year old son to play GTA 5?

62 replies to this topic
ONEkingscar
  • ONEkingscar

The stealth toker

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well he is legally able to buy the game so there isn't much you can do but I would trust him,after all he has probably seen worse things in media than in GTA V.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:14 PM Edited by Spuds725, 26 September 2013 - 07:14 PM.

17 year old should be fine- IMO age cut off should be around 13 or 14 for the story--

Anyone younger should be supervised and allowed to play free roam type stuff-- maybe with the SFX turned down as there are plenty of F-bombs dropped by peds and the protagonists-- the radio is mostly ok.

Obviously they should know what is real and not and you should talk about some of the stuff with them.

I have 3 boys 7, 8, & 10 and I've been letting them play (under supervision)-- they like flying, skydiving, cop chases in dessert--

• tom_p1980 and Deadly Target like this

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Please no one take this guy seriously

Yup. sounds like that story from the "some disappoint kids" thread.

Unless he's 12 or so, he does things far worse. 

Kratos2000 - ur mum was born without a brain and ur dad without a dick u homeless sh*tc*nt - f*ck ur family and everything u stand for

HAHAHAHA. Seriously, I laughed so fricking hard, seeing this after your angry PM. 

Well atleast my parents aren't siblings you little c*nt. lawl spamming my inbox with furious PMs u lifeless or something? 

Utopian Cynicism
  • Utopian Cynicism

Previously Known as: Telektoniks

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Seriously? You come to the internet of all places for advice on parenting? -__-

Anzand17
  • Anzand17

V.I.P

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'm 14... I've been playing grand theft auto since i was like 5. I never had the urge to shoot somebody or act crazy (If that's what your worried about) I say go for it, i'm surprised you haven't let him play sooner.

• senejas likes this

ChickenStu
  • ChickenStu

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

OP, why you asking us? You know your son better than we do! OK, I wouldn't let my daughters play it... but they are 5 and 7, lol. 

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:10 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 27 September 2013 - 11:11 AM.

17 year old should be fine- IMO age cut off should be around 13 or 14 for the story--

Anyone younger should be supervised and allowed to play free roam type stuff-- maybe with the SFX turned down as there are plenty of F-bombs dropped by peds and the protagonists-- the radio is mostly ok.

Obviously they should know what is real and not and you should talk about some of the stuff with them.

I have 3 boys 7, 8, & 10 and I've been letting them play (under supervision)-- they like flying, skydiving, cop chases in dessert--

Same, my daughter is nearly 9 and all she does is the free-roam stuff. She likes to jetski, deep sea diving, take Chop to the beach and play fetch and cycle around. I won't allow her to do the missions though, thats where I draw the line. As for the swearing, she knows plenty already (because of the kids in her school, and this was prior to GTA5) despite our best efforts to shield her from it and she knows they're wrong, the best part of it is I hear more swearing on the public transport I get with my daughter in real life when I collect her from school from 11-16 year olds, than I have done playing GTA5 with her. Anyway she fully understands the game is pretend and not real and nothing in the game should ever be done in real life as she would get into serious trouble.

And she is always supervised. I get p*ssed off when I hear about parents who just dump kids in front of the tv/games console and leave them to it. I prefer to supervise, explain things and to also get involved in her gaming time.

• Deadly Target and JoeB like this

the_warbsta
  • the_warbsta

If you're good, PM me and we can discuss business...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

If you dont allowo your 17 year old son to play video games then he is propably the kid is the worlds greatest queer at school

urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

LOL at OP. 

A real father wouldn't be taking suggestions about this game from a forums dedicated to this game.

Nice try, troll. 

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Kratos2000 - ur mum was born without a brain and ur dad without a dick u homeless sh*tc*nt - f*ck ur family and everything u stand for

ouch.

stee_vo
  • stee_vo

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Are you for real? Poor kid.

MaskedMenace Uk
  • MaskedMenace Uk

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

No legally u shouldn't but he's gonna play it at some point whether u let him or not lol

stee_vo
  • stee_vo

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

No legally u shouldn't but he's gonna play it at some point whether u let him or not lol

It's not illegal for him to play it, PEGI ratings are just recommendations.

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

ouch.

Ouch? it was an atrociously pathetic

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:41 PM Edited by Shyabang Shyabang, 27 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Should I allow my 17 year old son to play GTA 5?

Personallly, I think he is old enough, but then being 17 might seem to be a kid to you.

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I was 10 years old when I started playing the first GTA. im 26 now and I have never stolen a car or shot anyone in real life... yet

Syntax323
  • Syntax323

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I was 10 years old when I started playing the first GTA. im 26 now and I have never stolen a car or shot anyone in real life... yet

Hahaha

danik18
  • danik18

DYOM User

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I am 11,I played GTA first when I was 5 years old. (LOL)

I can handle it pretty well.The torture scene isn't that bad though.I think you should allow him to play it.There are pretty much things to do beneath killing,like tennis,yoga,stuff like that.

Hodor Hodor
  • Hodor Hodor

HODOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

I am 17 and I have been playing GTA since I was 10, none of the content has affected me whatsoever.

Sevenpatch
  • Sevenpatch

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

i think you should allow your son to go f*ck himself.

Civil

Is that what you think?!?!

Well I have something to show you that may shock and discredit you!

I'm not wearing a tie at all!

HAMMER_OF_THOR13
  • HAMMER_OF_THOR13

President, Hells Cowboys MC, Blaine County Chapter

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Grand Theft Auto V
ratings_search_synopsis_sm13.png
Platform: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Rating Category: 
     top10_m.png

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

Other:
  • Includes online features that may expose players to unrated user-generated content (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) 

Rating Summary: In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means (e.g., pipe wrench, tooth removal, electrocution) to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted). Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “n**ger” can be heard in the dialogue.

Swe78
  • Swe78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Tell him to wait for Mario Kart 8. 

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Well he is legally able to buy the game so there isn't much you can do but I would trust him,after all he has probably seen worse things in media than in GTA V.

If he is living under her/his roof, he/she has every right to dictate what he buys...

RealTuff
  • RealTuff

Ego Driven Asshole

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

plus, im serious but there are 11-year olds getting pregnant too so i think u should let your 17-year old son play gta.

i know 11-year old kids who play gta v. lol so i think you should, not a big deal. he probably knows all the stuff that hes eventually going to do in gta v.

secretly you are that child you joined 1 hour ago stupid  :lol:
yey funny. im 15 and ive been playing gta since i was 8 so im used to it :)

Have you knocked up an 11 year old? There should be laws against that.

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Discuss it with the other parent and make a judgement call...?  This used to be "common sense".

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:51 PM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 27 September 2013 - 05:51 PM.

define 'bad'.

if you wish to wrap your children in cotton wool then this game is probably not for you, there are a lot of nuances and references to mature content even outwith missions, pedestrians shout various abuses etc.

If you chose to not do the storyline then the game doesnt move forward too much, missing out on a lot of the content.

Personally I think this game is fine for a 17 year old if their mindset is of a 17 year old and not a 13 year old. My little brother has played it (hes 15). He knows the difference between right and wrong, he knows that you can steal cars, kill people and smoke from a digi-bong or get drunk but he also knows that its just a game. Its not a harmful game, if anything the dialogue is too high brow for a lot of people and warns of many of the pitfalls of modern life be it drugs, crime, government, corruption etc.

I would say yes, let him play it. play it yourself even.

Just because someone might not want their child to play GTA doesn't mean they are wrapping them in cotton wool.  A sign of  the times I guess when people who care about what their children are exposed to are mocked... :/

To the OP: are you serious because for some reason I'm suspicious of your post?

Matta G
  • Matta G

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Seriously, with all the info out there about this game, you should be able to answer this question for yourself.

Scooby803
  • Scooby803

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

If he's seen violent movies or TV shows this game probably wouldn't be much worse.

poff
  • poff

Squid

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

ofcourse no..

let your cat play it

TheAwesome3211
  • TheAwesome3211

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Dude WTF! I'm 17yrs old, and I've been playing GTA since GTA 3's release, and I don't do drugs, weed, smoke, etc... Your Son is grown enough to play GTA V! Are you racist? YOU SHOULD ALLOW YOUR SON TO PLAY GTA V!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users