Quantcast

» «
Photo

Games that you loved that got horrible reviews?

77 replies to this topic
Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Scarface: The World is Yours.  It only scored a 75 on Metacritic.  However, while this might be a controversial opinion on these forums, I think it's better than the majority of PS2 generation GTA games (not better than GTA SA though).  For one, it has much better shooting mechanics than any PS2 era GTA along with a much better camera than GTA III and GTA VC.  Also, Tony Montana was reenacted superbly.

it was alright    the Godfather was better though imo  that scored about the same aswell. 

I have not played The Godfather game yet, but I've heard relatively positive things about it (and bad things about the second one).  I think these games only got average scores since they were released at the end of the life cycle of sixth generation consoles.  I know that the Scarface game is quite a bit advance for a PS2 game, and I'm sure that The Godfather game is about the same.  For instance, Scarface: TWiY's driving is about on pars with GTA III era games, but its shooting mechanics and camera are far ahead.  Seriously, go back and play either GTA III or GTA VC on the PS2.  They're great games, but the camera and shooting will have you wishing for something much better (GTA VC is much better on PC though).

In 70% of the cases i end up loving game, that is literally shunned not only by reviewers, but by the majority of gamers (both casual and hardcore) as well! And in return when most of the games nowadays are getting praised to no extent i usually end up hating it! The great example of such game is Saints Row 2, if you see how many people bitch about it being too silly, story, that doesn't make any sense, poor driving and damage physics, shooting animations etc...then you'd get basic idea of what i'm talking about! To be honest i have absolutely NO problems at all with all those things in Saints Row 2 and as a whole i can't see why people hate all those things so much, because i personally find them enjoyable! I wish there were more games like Saints Row 2 with extensive customization in ALL areas (not only vehicles and weapons, but also characters and gangs!), SOOO much side activities and missions and such an interactive and living world! (if you played through Saints Row 2 you'd notice how good interaction is in that game! People are walking in the park holding hands of each other, playing dice games sitting on the streets, reading newspapers, using umbrellas when its raining, playing guitar for money, high school support teams near high school stadiums and many many more!) If only people give a try and see all those things as i see them, they'd realize how stupid they're for shunning such a great game!

Saints Row 2 is another great game that gets a lot of flak just because it tackles the same genre as GTA.  I believe I only stopped playing it due to the repetitive police and gang AI.  They always ran you over, sprung out of their vehicles, and then just spam you with gunfire.  Also, helicopters got pretty annoying.  Otherwise, it was good in most ways.  I've seen many GTA fanboys bash it for having "bad graphics" and a "dead city".  However, to be honest, I believe the cartoonish graphics have aged a bit better than GTA IV's graphics, and the pedestrians in Saints Row 2 do roughly the same amount of sh*t as the pedestrians do in GTA IV (possibly more).

Saints Row 2 definitely had terrible graphics, a dead city, sh*tty physics/animations, terrible voice acting, mechanics, terrible car models. It had some good concepts, badly executed however. Overall it's a f*cking sh*te game, badly made and it's no surprise it receives flak, it's certainly not just because it tackles the same genre as GTA...

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

If Saints Row 2 is a sh*tty game, I'd like to know what words you'd use for 3 and 4...I thought 2 was the best of the series personally.  The latter of the games do not even begin to compare to how much fun 2 was.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Brink.

I think it could have gotten better reviews if they added more levels and fixed the terrible MP lag.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:39 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 15 October 2013 - 08:41 PM.

If Saints Row 2 is a sh*tty game, I'd like to know what words you'd use for 3 and 4...I thought 2 was the best of the series personally.  The latter of the games do not even begin to compare to how much fun 2 was.

I also thought 2 was the best from the series, 3 looked so cheesy, childish and pathetic that i never even bothered to give it a try and i didn't even know 4 existed.

Saints Row is just a cheap, tacky, sh*tty game. And GTA existing doesn't effect my view on the matter, Saints Row is just generally sh*t. 

EDIT: If anything, i welcome more "GTA clones" Adding some healthy competition is a good thing, unfortunately Saints Row provides not one tiny bit of competition.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:48 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 18 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

Mafia 2

Postal 2 (including Ap weekend ) and 3

marmoo
  • marmoo

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:55 AM Edited by marmoo, 18 October 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Sudden Strike. How Metacritic gave it under 70 baffles me. Good to see the users give it over 8

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Brink.

I think it could have gotten better reviews if they added more levels and fixed the terrible MP lag.

So the very reason why it got mediocre reviews in the first place? If only they had delayed the game to make it better.

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

The Gofather games, I and II

State of Emergency, played the sh*t out of it when I was a kid, absolutely loved it.

gzilla46
  • gzilla46

Megatron

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

c4_21388_0_TheSimpsonsRoadRage.jpg

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

logowide180.png

f*cking underrated.

Silent Dogwood
  • Silent Dogwood

Genuine Wole

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

I wouldn't say love, but Arkham Origins is getting some flak for being unoriginal and uninspiring (I take these reviews with a pinch of salt, because usually the journalists have given Call of Duty games 9/10's or higher upon scrolling through the backlogs).

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

Alone in a world filled with people

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

True Crime: New York City

If it wasn't for the bugs and glitches in the map, it could have gotten good reviews and Sleeping Dogs would still be TC:HK.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Duke Nukem Forever, yeah a lot of people think it sucks but I'm willing to bet a good deal of them have never played the games before.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

DotA 2: IGN and the other reviewers seem to don't understand an RTS too much, I still think reviewers should be more open minded about games, knowing what a genre can offer. 2 months ago DotA 2 had one of the most famous tournaments in Professional Gaming called The International (Bigger than the CoD ones or whatever mainstream console game) And seriously the game brings so much actions and emotions even when you're watching. When both teams face each other (5v5 games) It all depends on how you play the heroes. For people who doesn't understand how an RTS like DotA works check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota_2

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

Total Overdose. I know it had bland freedom for an open-world game but it was still fun to mix up the combos and the missions were fun. Got a 71 on Metacritic.

Futo
  • Futo

Yeah i'm busy, call me back!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:37 AM Edited by Futo, 04 November 2013 - 03:37 AM.

Alpha Protocol.
It had its faults sure, but there is a distinct lack of espionage games, we need more. I loved it. R*.....Agent please.

Deadly Premonition. Yep.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You sing about breaking faces! LCHC!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Total Overdose. I know it had bland freedom for an open-world game but it was still fun to mix up the combos and the missions were fun. Got a 71 on Metacritic.

I loved that game. Max Payne in Mexico without a sad story and with a lot of Sombreros :D Great soundtrack too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users