Quantcast

» «
Photo

Games that you loved that got horrible reviews?

77 replies to this topic
Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Wouldn't say I LOVED it, but I really liked Chaos Legion back in the day.

>GameRankings: 67%

>MetaCritic: 65

>IGN: 6.5/10

Can't think of any others at the moment.

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Now that I've been thinking about it, Medal of Honor Warfighter comes to mind. It's only trailing BF3 for the title of my favorite online FPS experience. Me and my friends had a lot of fun with that game. The level of teamwork that it required for success was pretty awesome as was the character customization and dedication to authenticity with the weapons and other aspects.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Spy Fiction (61 on metacritic)

Time crisis 4 (60)

24: The Game (62)

mercenaries 2 (72)

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by ASIAN LAWYER, 30 September 2013 - 03:31 AM.

the first saints row.

edit: ok, my memory of its reception was a little sketchy. turns out it did get pretty good reviews.
i don't really have much else, most games i enjoy tend to have good reception.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

What??? One of the best PS2 exclusives and the best game, based on TV Show.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

What??? One of the best PS2 exclusives and the best game, based on TV Show.

I agree but it didn't really get favoured by critics

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Mafia II. 

Lowest score on Metacritic was 74 and it wasn't well received by the community.

I don't get the hate for the game. It's like one of the better crime games out there along with GTA. The story was awesome and to put it simply it is simply the next big thing next to GTA for me.

True, not being able to free-roam at the end of the game was dissappointing. (Although it can be done with mods on the PC version) but other than that it had 'The Godfather' vibe about it. The Godfather being one of my all-time favorite movies, I really liked Mafia II.

The graphics were fantastic and I didn't mind that breaking traffic laws gives you a wanted level, the realism is what made the game better for me.

It did take alot of inspiration from The Godfather and it did well for me. I feel it should have a metacritic score of atleast 88.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Call Of Juarez: The Cartel. I must be the only person in the world that actually liked that game.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Scarface: The World is Yours.  It only scored a 75 on Metacritic.  However, while this might be a controversial opinion on these forums, I think it's better than the majority of PS2 generation GTA games (not better than GTA SA though).  For one, it has much better shooting mechanics than any PS2 era GTA along with a much better camera than GTA III and GTA VC.  Also, Tony Montana was reenacted superbly.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Scarface: The World is Yours.  It only scored a 75 on Metacritic.  However, while this might be a controversial opinion on these forums, I think it's better than the majority of PS2 generation GTA games (not better than GTA SA though).  For one, it has much better shooting mechanics than any PS2 era GTA along with a much better camera than GTA III and GTA VC.  Also, Tony Montana was reenacted superbly.

Scarface was a great game. I wish I still had it.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

it was alright    the Godfather was better though imo  that scored about the same aswell. 

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Call Of Juarez: The Cartel. I must be the only person in the world that actually liked that game.

Look my first post in this topic.:)

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

although Savage Skies is an old and bad game (around 2002, very bad graphics,...) I still LOVE that game :cool:

TO HELL IGN! :devil: it only got around 4. something! :sui:

but since I saw the rating of my old all-time favorite PS2 game....the Biker mice from mars one thing: :sui:

best game ever!.......git 3.5! WHAT THE HELL??? seriously! you can mod your bike+ learn new moves+ buy bike-weaponry.. and still BAD? :wtf:

you can't reverse due to lack of additional buttons (imagine reversing with select! can't be!) all buttons were used.

hand-to-hand combat is fine/cool/awesome and they say its trash!

seriously! IGN is trash!

f@ck you IGN!

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:21 PM Edited by Tycek, 02 October 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Just out of the memory:

-Urban Chaos - the one that came out around 2000. Jeez, I've completed the game many times and I still could play it.

-Duke Nukem Forever - really good shooter, which stands out from the masses of the identical games. Sure, loadings could be shorter and the textures could be sharper, but it was really good and interesting game. I've completed it once so far, but definitely will do more playthroughs and maybe I will get complete list of the achievements. 

-18 WoS: Pedal to the Metal - I love that game despite much newer parts being on the market. For me it's the best truck driver simulator out there. 

If I recall any more underrated in my opinion game, I'll definitely post some more.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Just out of the memory:

-Urban Chaos - the one that came out around 2000. Jeez, I've completed the game many times and I still could play it.

Urban Chaos got great reviews and quite some praise though (8+).

Gangland by Mediamobsters was a f*cking fantastic game I've played that game so much yet it only has an average score of 6.3 with a few really bad reviews:

Computer Games Magazine - 3.0

Gamerfeed - 4.0

Game Revolution - 4.2

IGN - 5.8

However it also gets great reviews from other reviewers, so I guess it's just a weird one. GameSpy gave it a 7.5.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't know what Urban Chaos you meant or what do you know about it, but 52 isn't exactly 8+:

http://www.metacriti...ast/urban-chaos

Sure I was playing it mostly on PC, but reception was rather bad on both systems. Proofs of that can be facts that Mucky Foot was closed right after premiere (IIRC) and they never made a sequel. 

twannie1997
  • twannie1997

Hustler

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:22 PM Edited by twannie1997, 02 October 2013 - 07:27 PM.

Counter-Strike Condition Zero (2004) on the PC. MetaCritic gave it a 6,5.

Yeah, it is a "expansion pack" for Counter-Strike (which you get free with it anyways nowadays) with added HD models (obsolete), poor single player MP-like campaign, official bots, and a "Deleted Scenes" actual campaign. But I LOVED it. In LAN PARTIES. The jolly good fun of having hostages standing behind your tactical shield in fear while you peek beside the shield and put some .45 rounds in a Terrorists head. Together. With friends.

Oh yeah and Need For Speed ProStreet (2007) on the PS2. It got a 6,1.

The game had so many flaws, bad graphics, loading screen pop-ups during high speed races, game freezes, odd physics etc.

But playing it felt fun, not my favorite game though. And the difficulty of steering your brand new (and freely obtained) tuned Pagani Zonda F at 403km/h through a Nevada track sharp corner. Always loved how it flew through the air in slow motion and I think: if it lands on it's wheels, I can still win the race!

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:38 PM Edited by Fireman, 02 October 2013 - 07:41 PM.

I don't know what Urban Chaos you meant or what do you know about it, but 52 isn't exactly 8+:

http://www.metacriti...ast/urban-chaos

Sure I was playing it mostly on PC, but reception was rather bad on both systems. Proofs of that can be facts that Mucky Foot was closed right after premiere (IIRC) and they never made a sequel. 

The DreamCast version was pretty bad though because the controls didn't work very well.

Here's Urban Chaos for PC reviews as well:

http://www.ign.com/g...-chaos/pc-11440 8.7

http://www.gamespot.com/urban-chaos/ 8.3

Gamespot has both a PC review (8.3) and a DreamCast review (2.4). Which is a huuuugeee difference, the PS version scored bad as well, I guess this is too blame to the controls.

But yeah them being closed I guess shows how little it sold, which is a damn shame.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

GTA2 - I loved it! But the majority gave it 6.8/10 or 70 etc. That's not really too bad, but imo, it deserved much more.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 AM Edited by caseclosedjk, 05 October 2013 - 09:48 AM.

I Am Alive, Obscure, TR Angel Of Darkness to name a few...

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by mr_ed, 06 October 2013 - 02:19 AM.

Mafia II. 

I don't get the hate for the game. It's like one of the better crime games out there along with GTA. The story was awesome and to put it simply it is simply the next big thing next to GTA for me.

True, not being able to free-roam at the end of the game was dissappointing. (Although it can be done with mods on the PC version) but other than that it had 'The Godfather' vibe about it. The Godfather being one of my all-time favorite movies, I really liked Mafia II.

The graphics were fantastic and I didn't mind that breaking traffic laws gives you a wanted level, the realism is what made the game better for me.

It did take alot of inspiration from The Godfather and it did well for me. I feel it should have a metacritic score of atleast 88.

I really enjoyed Mafia 2 also, it was a hard thing to live up to the original though. My perfect game would be the story and features of the original with the atmosphere and updated engine of 2.

Also, one of the things at got to me was the content cut from the game so they could milk some money from DLC. I did feel the story was a little short, I could have sworn the original had a longer story.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

Mafia II. 

I really enjoyed Mafia 2 also, it was a hard thing to live up to the original though. My perfect game would be the story and features of the original with the atmosphere and updated engine of 2.

Also, one of the things at got to me was the content cut from the game so they could milk some money from DLC. I did feel the story was a little short, I could have sworn the original had a longer story.

I loved mafia 2. The original mafia was garbage imo. 

• trip likes this

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hitman Absolution, absolutely loved every second of it, yet it wins the Most Disappointing Game of 2012? Are the people over at GameTrailer mentally retarded or what? And this is coming from someone who also completed and loved Hitman BM.

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

In 70% of the cases i end up loving game, that is literally shunned not only by reviewers, but by the majority of gamers (both casual and hardcore) as well! And in return when most of the games nowadays are getting praised to no extent i usually end up hating it! The great example of such game is Saints Row 2, if you see how many people bitch about it being too silly, story, that doesn't make any sense, poor driving and damage physics, shooting animations etc...then you'd get basic idea of what i'm talking about! To be honest i have absolutely NO problems at all with all those things in Saints Row 2 and as a whole i can't see why people hate all those things so much, because i personally find them enjoyable! I wish there were more games like Saints Row 2 with extensive customization in ALL areas (not only vehicles and weapons, but also characters and gangs!), SOOO much side activities and missions and such an interactive and living world! (if you played through Saints Row 2 you'd notice how good interaction is in that game! People are walking in the park holding hands of each other, playing dice games sitting on the streets, reading newspapers, using umbrellas when its raining, playing guitar for money, high school support teams near high school stadiums and many many more!) If only people give a try and see all those things as i see them, they'd realize how stupid they're for shunning such a great game!

• Boxman108 likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

I'm right there with ya.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Beyond 2 Souls! I cannot for the life of me understand the reviews!

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Most games from Suda51, most recently Killer is Dead being singled out for being "sexist" when there are so many games out there with exactly the same sort of content getting away with it.  GTAV for one...

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Most games from Suda51, most recently Killer is Dead being singled out for being "sexist" when there are so many games out there with exactly the same sort of content getting away with it.  GTAV for one...

Especially when sex is the main point of Killer is Dead, the other point being killing, you'd think critics would get the idea, but no. Getting the drill subweapon from sexing up a babe should've tipped them off that Suda was going somewhere with this.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm right there with ya.

What!? How dare you!? The only thing bad about it was having to drive a lot.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

it was alright    the Godfather was better though imo  that scored about the same aswell. 

I have not played The Godfather game yet, but I've heard relatively positive things about it (and bad things about the second one).  I think these games only got average scores since they were released at the end of the life cycle of sixth generation consoles.  I know that the Scarface game is quite a bit advance for a PS2 game, and I'm sure that The Godfather game is about the same.  For instance, Scarface: TWiY's driving is about on pars with GTA III era games, but its shooting mechanics and camera are far ahead.  Seriously, go back and play either GTA III or GTA VC on the PS2.  They're great games, but the camera and shooting will have you wishing for something much better (GTA VC is much better on PC though).

In 70% of the cases i end up loving game, that is literally shunned not only by reviewers, but by the majority of gamers (both casual and hardcore) as well! And in return when most of the games nowadays are getting praised to no extent i usually end up hating it! The great example of such game is Saints Row 2, if you see how many people bitch about it being too silly, story, that doesn't make any sense, poor driving and damage physics, shooting animations etc...then you'd get basic idea of what i'm talking about! To be honest i have absolutely NO problems at all with all those things in Saints Row 2 and as a whole i can't see why people hate all those things so much, because i personally find them enjoyable! I wish there were more games like Saints Row 2 with extensive customization in ALL areas (not only vehicles and weapons, but also characters and gangs!), SOOO much side activities and missions and such an interactive and living world! (if you played through Saints Row 2 you'd notice how good interaction is in that game! People are walking in the park holding hands of each other, playing dice games sitting on the streets, reading newspapers, using umbrellas when its raining, playing guitar for money, high school support teams near high school stadiums and many many more!) If only people give a try and see all those things as i see them, they'd realize how stupid they're for shunning such a great game!

Saints Row 2 is another great game that gets a lot of flak just because it tackles the same genre as GTA.  I believe I only stopped playing it due to the repetitive police and gang AI.  They always ran you over, sprung out of their vehicles, and then just spam you with gunfire.  Also, helicopters got pretty annoying.  Otherwise, it was good in most ways.  I've seen many GTA fanboys bash it for having "bad graphics" and a "dead city".  However, to be honest, I believe the cartoonish graphics have aged a bit better than GTA IV's graphics, and the pedestrians in Saints Row 2 do roughly the same amount of sh*t as the pedestrians do in GTA IV (possibly more).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users