I have sent this into Rockstar and got the following reply (after them repeatedly telling me it was a gameplay issue and that I needed to watch YouTube videos or read online walkthroughs)
"Thank you very much for that information. I will process this Bug Report accordingly.
If we determine this to be an issue affecting all other copies if the game, we will report this information to the proper departments.
In the meantime, please try the following:
Before troubleshooting, please check the following:
1. Turn the console off and on.
2. Unplug all power cords and accessories, and then plug them back in firmly. Make sure all connections are secure.
3. Update your console software.
Clearing the Game Data Utility:
1. In the XMB home menu, go to (Game) > [Game Data Utility].
Important: Make sure you select [Game Data Utility]. Do NOT select [Saved Data Utility], as this will delete all of your saved games files.
2. Highlight the game data utility file (i.e., name of a particular game you have been playing) you wish to delete.
3. Press the button and select [Delete].
4. Highlight "Yes" and press the button to confirm the deletion.
5. A message indicating the file is being deleted will appear.
6. A "Delete completed." message will appear once the file has been successfully deleted.
7. Once all of the files have been deleted, go back to the XMB home menu.
8. Reboot the game.
Thank you again for this information.
Hope you continue to enjoy the game!
Haven't tried clearing the game utility data because the only thing I have in there is the blimp DLC pack. Hope they release a patch soon and I recommend that others with this problem contact R* so they know it is a bug affecting a lot of users.