Hyperventilating with Outrage!

22 replies to this topic
saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

OK, this rant is NOT about the game.  I’m loving GTAV.

This rant is about the obscene marketing budget that has been claimed for GTAV.  And the obscene shortchanging of the GTAV development budget.  I’m hyperventilating with outrage!!!

We have heard from multiple sources that the budget for GTAV was $265 million.  Wow!!  It should be a hell of a game!  

But instead of spending most of that dough on game development, it went to marketing!  Wasted on f*cking NYC f*cking marketing!!!!  Wasted!!!

In this Business Week article, as well as other publications, the marketing budget is listed as $150 million (!!!!) and the game development budget is only $115 million.  So we really have a $115 million dollar game in our hands.

Well, the game looks pretty good, and it’s probably a decent game for $115 million.  

But what did the world get for $150 million in marketing?  Here’s my breakdown of the marketing budget:

$  1.0M:  Actual marketing for 4.75 years
$ 19.0M:  Actual marketing in the last 3 months before GTAV release
$ 42.4M:  5 years x 100 nights x NYC exec staff of 8 x $10,000 per night hookers
$ 87.6M:  5 years x 365 days x NYC staff of 32 x $1,500 daily coke habit
$150.0M:  Total GTAV marketing budget

Other links on the GTAV budget:  

http://www.scotsman....sales-1-3081943

http://metro.co.uk/2...buffed-3987612/

http://www.vg247.com...to-make-market/

Just think of what could have been added or implemented in the game with an extra $100 million, that the NYC marketing scum stole.  It's a bigger heist than within GTAV itself, and it's real money !!!

Where is Zee when we need him????  He would put those Cockstar NYC c*nts in their places!!! 

• Kaster likes this

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

What?

Mannulus
  • Mannulus

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

I remember hearing about how much they spent on marketing and all that and nearly cried but I realized from a business perspective that this was for the best (in their favor). They netted over one billion dollars in revenue from this game in just three days, imagine what it will go to in about a week or the last day of December! Good business plan Rockstar...good business plan...

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Lol, coke never hurt anyone, you're lying OP.

LYING!

CDizzy
  • CDizzy

All round G

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I live/work in Brisbane, Australia and today I was looking at all the GTAV advertisements on the buses and billboards and thinking how expensive it would be to advertise in my city let alone in most cities around the world.

So i think that budget is pretty well justified...

MactoTillDeath
  • MactoTillDeath

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

Most of the budget was used to develop for GTAO. Since the SP and MP world's are the same, the only thing they really spent money on for SP was the story.

Everything you currently do in SP can be done in GTA Online, and online mode will includes tons of new features as well.

That ridiculous marketing budget you speak of was designed to get people into the online mode. Buy the game, get teased a little, and then BAM... They successfully hyped the launch of another product. It's just business strategy. Don't get mad a company for wanting to make money.
  • CashnBowlz420 likes this

quidyg
  • quidyg

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

$115 million is still more than the whole GTA IV budget

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

I live/work in Brisbane, Australia and today I was looking at all the GTAV advertisements on the buses and billboards and thinking how expensive it would be to advertise in my city let alone in most cities around the world.

So i think that budget is pretty well justified...

In Los Angeles, it seemed like the billboards and bus stop ads just popped up one week before release.  So it seems like they could not have contributed that much to pre-orders or first-day sales, if that's what Rockstar was expecting.  Maybe they spent that last $100M of marketing in the final week.  If so, I wonder how effective those transient billboards will be in generating first-month sales? 

In general I have been ranting about the incompetent GTAV marketing for almost the past 2 years, since they left us high and dry after GTAV Trailer #1.  The publishing of the marketing budget relative to the dev budget just drove me over the edge.... :)

HudS
  • HudS

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

u wot m8?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

This is all heresay, obviously, because the studio doesn't have to disclose any information at all.

.....but I'll allow it. Tell us more about these $10,000 hookers?

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

This is all heresay, obviously, because the studio doesn't have to disclose any information at all.

.....but I'll allow it. Tell us more about these $10,000 hookers?

:colgate: Well, maybe the $10K ones are on the high end.  Perhaps Rockstar NYC execs can afford them.  Eliot Spitzer is the US expert on premium hookers: 

"On March 10, 2008, The New York Times reported that Spitzer had previously patronized a high-priced prostitution service called Emperors Club VIP[88] and met for over two hours with a $1,000-an-hour call girl. This information originally came to the attention of authorities from a federal wiretap.[89][90][91][92] Spitzer had at least seven or eight liaisons with women from the agency over six months, and paid more than $15,000.[93][94] According to published reports, investigators believe Spitzer paid up to $80,000 for prostitutes over a period of several years while he was Attorney General, and later as Governor.[95][96][97] Spitzer first drew the attention of federal investigators when his bank reported suspicious money transfers under the anti-money laundering provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act and the Patriot Act.[98] The resulting investigation, triggered by the belief that Spitzer may have been hiding bribe proceeds, led to the discovery of the prostitution ring.[99]"

Romario
  • Romario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

Businesses have never marketed their products before.

Marketing is free.

TRUTHFACTS.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

How many countries did the game release in? It would seem to me they spent wisely, but I don't know jack about marketing.

$10,000 call girls are more my specialty :cool:

You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for. Some old guy said that I think.
  • saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Businesses have never marketed their products before.

Marketing is free.

TRUTHFACTS.

So, by your logic, given the huge marketing budget and the record-breaking subsequent success of GTAV sales, Rockstar should continue the trend and just spend $15 million on GTA6 game development and spend $200 million on GTA6 marketing. Win.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

How many countries did the game release in? It would seem to me they spent wisely, but I don't know jack about marketing.
$10,000 call girls are more my specialty :cool:
You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for. Some old guy said that I think.

Yeah, I remember that old guy (see my title below my avatar). I don't think I got my money's worth of marketing considering the extreme hell that Rock star put us through in 2012 and part of 2013 with their "marketing."

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

It costs me 20 dollars to get a USB video recorder that can record off my TV. So, rockstar, just make one ten minute gameplay video. No cutscenes, no cinematic angles, just 10 minutes of the game as the player would experience it.

Would that really be so hard? I mean, watch dogs did it at e3, why can't you guys just do that? Hell, you wouldn't even need trailers after that. Just that one gameplay video would spread like wildfire.

• saintsrow likes this

Huffin-Puffin
  • Huffin-Puffin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I love that the OP thinks being a dev is a fun lifestyle full of coke and strippers.

If they hadn't marketed it properly they wouldn't have made as much money. We wouldn't get another GTA if it wasn't financially viable.

JUSTIFIED

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

It costs me 20 dollars to get a USB video recorder that can record off my TV. So, rockstar, just make one ten minute gameplay video. No cutscenes, no cinematic angles, just 10 minutes of the game as the player would experience it.

Would that really be so hard? I mean, watch dogs did it at e3, why can't you guys just do that? Hell, you wouldn't even need trailers after that. Just that one gameplay video would spread like wildfire.

Thanks for writing that. Very insightful and seriously true. I was thinking along similar lines, but I already had a theme in mind for my rant.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

DONE.

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

u wot m8?

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 26 September 2013 - 07:49 AM.

As far as I'm aware it's typical for the marketing budget to about equal the development budget.  Hence the reasoning that a film/game needs to make twice it's quoted budget to break even.  Rockstar seems to have included the marketing budget when talking about the cost to make the game.  I believe the budget quoted for films/games typically doesn't include marketing costs.  I could be wrong.

Given how large the quoted budget was it makes sense that about half of that was spent on marketing.  It's still a massive development budget if that's true.  The development budget for the first transformers film was apparently $170 million.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:13 AM Edited by saintsrow, 28 September 2013 - 11:14 AM.

OK, I was already pissed off at the size of the marketing budget relative to the value of the marketing that we got.  Here's another article that just confirms how worthless the Rockstar GTAV marketing was: 

"Rockstar doesn't participate in the kind of public relations that typically accompany a big-budget video game. It didn't show "GTA V" at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the annual convention where all the big publishers compete for attention.

Instead of a steady flow of previews across every tech news site on the Web, Rockstar has carefully parceled out a screenshot here, an in-game video there. Many critics — even at some huge gaming sites — found themselves frozen out of review copies.  Most gamers, then, won't know what's in "GTA V" until they play it."

How's that for markleting, huh??? It sure must have cost Rockstar a lot of dough to do nothing and call it "marketing."  Those lazy-ass crackheads!!! Outrageous..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

And then we found out that the cinematic trailers did not represent gameplay very well.  We sure got Rockrolled.  :angry:

WitchHunter Neo
  • WitchHunter Neo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Big deal that big money went on advertising. I mean why on earth do players feel the need to get into these discussions?

It's always the same: think about how money could have been spent elsewhere to make the game better.

BS

Rockstar have given people a really excellent game as it is. Lots of gamers allow themselves to be overhyped, thus it spoils a lot of the experience.

Personally, I did not jump on the hype wagon prior to release. I kept clear of all potential game media and simply purchased it, loved it, and now looking forward to GTA online.

Hardcore1982
  • Hardcore1982

Dirty Harry

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:09 PM Edited by Hardcore1982, 28 September 2013 - 12:11 PM.

Well, Rockstar is a company. Like every other Company they exist to make money.

GTA 5 sold very well, marketing was not wasted, it was a full success.

Marketing has 1 purpose, raising the sales. It worked and it is also still a excellent game.

WIN - Win situation. Also with a view to the support in the future (well sold games are supported longer) and a possible GTA6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users