Photo

Car Damage. A Second Look.

18 replies to this topic
Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

After playing for 30 hours or so I can say that GTAV does, indeed, have a great damage model. Have you ever taken a bat to a car or airplane in the game? The frame of the target vehicle gets deformed in small stages. This is quite a complex damage model. I love it.

THE PROBLEM, HOWEVER,  STILL EXISTS.

We need a larger degree of damage from impacts while driving. The model is there. I hope they patch it so it can be used to its fullest! It really is amazing but it is handcuffed right now.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Really don't see why people complained about damage model, quite often 1 crash is enough to lock one of my wheels, which is a hell of alot more then gta IV did. ( the hood flying of wasnt impressive, it was just silly)

• DeadZombie likes this

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Nah, proper damage model would just be completely out of place with the arcade handling.

If you have a proper damage model you need handling like IV, otherwise it is just completely out of place, like picking up crush physics in MicroMachines.

No, no no no no.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

Nah, proper damage model would just be completely out of place with the arcade handling.

If you have a proper damage model you need handling like IV, otherwise it is just completely out of place, like picking up crush physics in MicroMachines.

No, no no no no.

Wow. Let me get this straight. You don't want to use the great damage model to its fullest because you don't like the handling model?

Do you think you are short sighted? You want to throw out the baby with the bath water?

Next time. STOP. Take a half hour and try to THINK before you post. Your life will change for the better.

GTAFanatic81
  • GTAFanatic81

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

so everytime you T bone someone you have to get out and change vehicles that would be a pain in the ass on 3+ star wanted level im happy the way it is.

carnage.
  • carnage.

What color do you bleed?

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

I don't know where I stand with the vehicle damage in this game. I love it and I hate it. I agree with everyone who has posted above me.

• DeadZombie likes this

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Dude. I just crashed and flew off a mountain doing rolls. My doors were flinging off and car was crunching. The damage is better then four

Jakee.
  • Jakee.

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:29 AM Edited by Jakee., 25 September 2013 - 12:29 AM.

0_03.jpg

Just stop

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:29 AM Edited by Lanzfeld113, 25 September 2013 - 12:31 AM.

The damage IS better than IV. BUT it needs to happen to cars in a more realistic manor.

To promote better, MORE SKILLED driving. What I mean is. If you T-bone someone at full speed you should NOT be able to drive away. In V you can because the damage takes too long to accumulate.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Damage does need to be increased some, right now you can beat the ever living hell out of a car and it'll just get scratched up with a few dings... unless you happen to hit anywhere near the tire, then it becomes undrivable.

If they just increased the damage deformation/collision multiplier just bit so cars look like this after you absolutely thrashed them, then that'd be nice.

0_0.jpg

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Next time. STOP. Take a half hour and try to THINK before you post. Your life will change for the better.

The same can apply to you.

GTAV's cars are A LOT faster than the ones in GTAIV. Imagine if you crash one in the game, having GTAV's hadling and GTAIV's damage model/multiplier/whatever? You'd pretty much total anything at the first little bump. And you know what that would be, in terms of gameplay? Frustrating 

And that's exactly what he said. He didn't say he was a bad driver nor that he disliked the handling. He just said that IV's damage isn't compatible with V's handling. 

• RichyB likes this

RichyB
  • RichyB

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

No, no no no no.

Wow. Let me get this straight. You don't want to use the great damage model to its fullest because you don't like the handling model?

Do you think you are short sighted? You want to throw out the baby with the bath water?

Yeah, it's exactly what I'm saying, I'm saying if you're making a game, make the physics consistent. It's a classic correlation, as arcadey goes up, the damage goes down. Example: Crazy Taxi = Maxium Arcade, minimum damage. GTA IV = minimum arcade, maximum damage.

Your argument is like saying, why didn't they just film the cutscenes in real life? Just cause the gameplay can't have real life graphics, doesn't mean the cut scenes can't.

No. Consistency is everything if you want an immersive experience.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

OR......

You could just learn to drive in GTA V and avoid wrecks.

You know. Show a little skill instead of button mashing?

Its like the fanboys just cant except ANYTHING but the crap that R* serves.

RichyB
  • RichyB

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

OR......

lol you lose the argument so assume I can't drive in GTA? Haha. Deary me. Whatever, anyway, whatever you have to say I'll just refer you back to my last post because it's objectively correct across all fields so just take it on board and get on with your life.

Rockstar are following the classic arcade/damage correlation that has always existed and always will exist until you make a game yourself, implement your own blinkered views on vehicle physics and damage models and see that nobody buys your sh*t game because it's sh*t and nobody wants to play a game where you drive around like Crazy Taxi and total your car from clipping the kerb because you can go 0-60 in 3 seconds in a garbage truck.

hyseptik
  • hyseptik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

OR......

Now you need to start thinking before you post. RichyB is pointing out some very relevant stuff here, which you obviously fail to see (or fail to argue with). Attacking Richy and calling him a bad driver is pretty far off-topic. Try to stay on track and tell him exactly why you think he's wrong.

PS: I agree with Richy.

• RichyB likes this

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

I guess you guys got what you wanted.

WiZe420
  • WiZe420

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

The damage physics are a lot more detailed and better than it was in 4 but they need to tweak it to how if you drive really fast into something you actually get a nice big dent like how it was in 4, right now it's like driving around in a apc. I want my off road car to get dents and such from a ruff time out in the hills.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

In the PC version of IV we made the top speed realistic on the cars and if you were skilled you could avoid destroying your cars.

People here seem to like the Crazee Taxi version of GTA V instead of a more realistic driving sim. To each their own. I prefer the a simulation.

snacker111
  • snacker111

GTA

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

Really don't see why people complained about damage model, quite often 1 crash is enough to lock one of my wheels, which is a hell of alot more then gta IV did. ( the hood flying of wasnt impressive, it was just silly)

the car doesnt dent when hit, but it dents with a baseball bat... what kind of logic is that. It made GTA V look bad on the Conan O Brien show. When he hit a car it was stiff as f*ck nothing happened to it, then you can see his frown he was probably thinking it sucks compared to GTA IV damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users