Quantcast

» «
Photo

Where should the next GTA take place?

272 replies to this topic

Poll: Next GTA city (297 member(s) have cast votes)

Which city would make for the best location in the next GTA?

1. New York City (3 votes [1.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

2. London (48 votes [16.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.16%

3. Chicago (22 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Dubai (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Miami (84 votes [28.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.28%

6. Las Vegas (38 votes [12.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

7. Los Angeles (2 votes [0.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

8. Detroit (14 votes [4.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

9. Hawaii (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

10. New Orleans (12 votes [4.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.04%

11. Philedelphia (4 votes [1.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

12. Other American City (Baltimore, Atlanta, D.C. etc.) (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

13. Other International City (Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Mexico City etc.) (21 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

14. None of the above, I'll post in the comments (16 votes [5.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Roded88
  • Roded88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I would like vice city but I think it would be very similar to Los santos although any other place I think won't look as appealing if it's just a city. I would some place where we could get some snow weather. If they can add that how they did the thunder storms it would be awesome.

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Post-apocalyptic setting ala Mad Max:  Character ala Mad Max in a post apoc city figthing gangs etc, might be a bit limited for free roaming but still it could have lots of people in colonies etc..

I've been thinking about this one a LOT. I'm glad someone else mentioned it. There are so many possibilities.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

We've seen LC in HD universe, San Andreas in HD universe, it would be fair to see Vice City in HD universe.

Roded88
  • Roded88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

We've seen LC in HD universe, San Andreas in HD universe, it would be fair to see Vice City in HD universe.

This is true. I have a question though. Are the hd versions layed out exactly the same as the previous version?? Come next gen vice city would look amazing but back in the 80s?? Current time??

Hugef1
  • Hugef1

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Easy. London.

Better than any other city mentioned.

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:24 PM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 02:25 PM.

I think we've had enough American cities, it's time for some international flavours. Especially considering that with GTA 5, R* has covered all American time periods from the 70's onwards, and we've seen most of what the country has to offer vehicle wise.

I think London would be a good next step...a different place but not completely unrelatable to America. Throw in some countryside and maybe even a bit of France and it would be a pretty neat change.

Also, snow.

I haven't had enough of American cities, and I don't get how one side here says "VIce City" and the other makes it seem like America is such a boring and uninteresting place that it is no longer worthy as the setting of GTA, because it's been covered. Not that I don't agree with you that London would be awesome.

I wouldnt mind another Miami based GTA. Boston, San Francisco or Las Vegas could work as well..

That being said i think new GTA should be set in an fictional international city. You know, how bout some diversity for a change.

My suggestions(bold ones are my favs):

Balkans setting: ( Niko Belic's homeland.).. crime ridden city, lots of stolen cars, gun trafficking, exporting drugs to other parts of Europe etc,  / a gritty city + suburbs still f*cked up from the war, some buildings in ruins or at least shot up would also have a feel of post-apocalypse, there could also be gypsies in the countryside

Asian setting: Anything to do with Yakuza, Triads etc.. could be more gang oriented like SA or not..

Uk setting: obvi they can base their model after London, would be a great fit for underground organisation, they should set it in 90s, have you running clubs etc., loads of british humour

German setting(Berlin): obvi you'll be playing an immigrant, a Turk who spends most of his time selling kebab gets drawn into a criminal underworld lol

Russian/Ukraine setting: human trafficking, prostitution ..etc

Scandinavian setting: a bleak and snowy atmosphere

South American setting: favelas, kidnapping, drug cartels ..

France setting(Paris): an Arab ala Un Prophete gets his rise in criminal underworld

Italian setting: Mafia etc

These might not fit with GTA's logic but would still make for a cool open world:

Futuristic setting: They could take any metropolitan city but set in future, so its futuristic, bit sci-fi ish but not to much; you are selling illegal drones, new identities, but people still use 'normal' means of transportation etc.. but there are also robots and whatnot

Post-apocalyptic setting ala Mad Max:  Character ala Mad Max in a post apoc city figthing gangs etc, might be a bit limited for free roaming but still it could have lots of people in colonies etc..

WW2 setting:

Well, you just completely took the idea and ran away with it! Thinking outside the box lol I like your style man, those are all things I'd be interested in doing, areas I'd like to play in and explore. I just didn't have the guts to suggest such radical ideas, but it could work. As awesome as it would be though, I think Rockstar would go back to Vice City before breaking their mold and trying something so new and different. It's not like any of the American cities mentioned are "boring" though, as I told the guy above me, all of these places, at least the big ones, are unique and identifiable. Although it's true I'm not suggesting they model their next location 100% based on a single city, they still have plenty of diversity.

LV for me.  Rockstar didn't quite make LV a full city back in San Andreas.  I would like to see what they could do with it.  If not LV, it would have to be Vice City, but not in modern times.  Miami today is just a bunch of old fat people.

Chicago simply wouldn't work.  To me, it would just be another concrete jungle like Liberty City.  I think after 5 years in Liberty City, we are all sick of cities with endless skyscrapers.

HAHAHAHAHA That's hilarious. Like as if, a City like Chicago doesn't any offer freedom or space in which to explore, because it suffocates you with it's "endless" skyscrapers", another way of saying "Chicago is big, bland and boring, we've been there and done that, it's time for better things".

Maybe this thread will get really interesting when multiplayer is finally available, because the lot of you talking about how a city with a "countryside" is a necessity, you might be wishing for an urban jungle like Chicago that actually fills the void with content when you realize how big Los Santos is and there is almost no reason, at least in single player, to go beyond about 20% of it.

Amigo Mane
  • Amigo Mane

YG Amigo

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

If it's going to be vice city again, not in the 80s again. Present day would be better. I can't be doing with just seeing the floral shirts & rich kid guys everywhere I go, Miami is a lot more diverse today so it would be better.

Amigo Mane
  • Amigo Mane

YG Amigo

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Lot of you don't realise the darker side of dade county today smh, lot of violoncello in the rougher parts...

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

If it's going to be vice city again, not in the 80s again. Present day would be better. I can't be doing with just seeing the floral shirts & rich kid guys everywhere I go, Miami is a lot more diverse today so it would be better.

Precisely how I feel about it, even though I didn't really play GTA VC, I mean I did watch a friend play it a couple of times way back, but I wasn't impressed with it. 

Lot of you don't realise the darker side of dade county today smh, lot of violoncello in the rougher parts...

What now?

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

It's gonna be Vice City+Sorrounding Area+maybe another City+maybe Mexico or Cuba...I guess it has to be that huge to not be a let down after V. 

We'll have to wait a few years, though unless they drop everything else they are working right now or stock up good employees who can work on GTA: O and V.

Some employees stated they' finish their games faster if they would optimize working processes. So I guess it's possible to see GTA VI in 3 years with an all new engine, graphics, story and map and everything pushes the bar higher. 

• Blunt Force Trauma likes this

emrak
  • emrak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:37 PM Edited by emrak, 25 September 2013 - 03:38 PM.

I voted Vegas but Mexico City would be keeping with the theme as well. Just depends where they want to take the series.

Edit: actually the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of Mexico City

JamesB__
  • JamesB__

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'd love to see London, and considering its kind of already been done by Rockstar in the past its certainly not out of the question.

There's lots of potential with London, although it would be odd to see it completely surrounded by sea like LS and LC are. The city of London with the surrounding countryside and typical British towns/villages would be brilliant, and with the next gen it would be able to have a huge map. The Thames estuary could be on it, which opens out into the sea on the East coast. Then there's a lot of famous landmarks in the city that people love seeing in GTA games (Statue of Happiness, Vinewood sign, Rotterdam Tower etc.), for example there's Big Ben, the Thames itself, the London Eye would be perfect for some missions and in free roam, Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, various football stadiums. London has a lot of stuff that would be great for a future GTA.

Having said all that, GTA VI will be set in Vice City.

JayPDizzle
  • JayPDizzle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Somewhere outside of the US. I don't have a problem with the US it's just that I think the GTA series will eventually get exhausted if they keep playing on American culture. Somewhere such as London would be fresh and take the game in a very different direction, they could even do a GTA style game in London but call it something other than Grand Theft Auto to separate it from its American counterparts.

Roded88
  • Roded88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

It's gonna be Vice City+Sorrounding Area+maybe another City+maybe Mexico or Cuba...I guess it has to be that huge to not be a let down after V. 

We'll have to wait a few years, though unless they drop everything else they are working right now or stock up good employees who can work on GTA: O and V.
Some employees stated they' finish their games faster if they would optimize working processes. So I guess it's possible to see GTA VI in 3 years with an all new engine, graphics, story and map and everything pushes the bar higher. 

I'd say it would have to be Miami and Cuba, Mexico would be way to far. Then again with next gen it maybe possible

Bobloblaw426
  • Bobloblaw426

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Scotland

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'd say it would have to be Miami and Cuba, Mexico would be way to far. Then again with next gen it maybe possible

I thought that too but by sea it's not that far away. Then again they wouldn't at all have to stick to realistic aspects. They could just say, well there is a country called USA and a country called Mexico...everything else is pretty much up to their imagination as long as it's slightly realistc.

But even if they stick to realism I'd agree with you...with next gen this is possible. Just look what they did on current gen! Never thought it would be possible to create such a HUGE and DETAILED game. I'm just curious how long it would take....if it should be detailed they have to do it all manually, no copy and pasting woods and mountains into the map. As they said with V they reconsidered the location of every tree on the map. I don't think they actually meant "every" tree but you get the point. It's a hand-made game and we expect this standard now.

DaltyFbaby
  • DaltyFbaby

Notorious Drunkard

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

New Orleans, please.

xphen0m
  • xphen0m

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Eventually, they have introduce a new city. My choices would be Chicago (since I live in the south suburbs and it's the in the news quite often for the wrong reasons) or Tokyo. I wouldn't mind seeing another one set in London either.

RA1DER81
  • RA1DER81

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I know it is very different in real life but chicago would be too similar to Liberty City for me in the way it looks and feels.

I like the sound of Mexico City. Could maybe make a fictional Mexico City with a cross border US city?

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:13 PM Edited by Vorpax, 25 September 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Well first of all op. this should be in general series sub-category, second R* made themselves pretty much clear that they won't leave US making GTA games in future, so it rules out London, which everyone route for so much, judging by the polls! And final and the most important R* never name in-game cities with their real counterparts, if we're talking about Las Vegas - then its Las Venturas, if we're talking about Miami - then its Vice City! Lets call things who they should be called and how R* imply it should be, it is better that way...yes this is pretty much nitpicking, but it had to be said, because some people around these forums fail to realize the difference between real setting and fictional, thats where all the GTA games take place!...And now back on topic, my favorite city is Las Vegas, so i'd prefer if R* made their next game in Las Venturas and if its possible in Vice City as well, so there would be more use of the jet planes and airports! (yes i know that both Miami and Las Vegas are on completely different sides of US, but it doesn't mean we should put both of those cities on a single map! After all R* could make two separate maps and when you fly a plane from one map to another the screen flashes with the loading screen, that says something like "welcome to Las Venturas" or among the lines and map instantly changes from Vice City's to Las Venturas' one!...).

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

MIAMI

SilverDragon619
  • SilverDragon619

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

A fictional Tokyo would be great, reflecting on the Yakuza business and highway street races, not to mention the "bosozoku" aka biker gang and some serious terrorist acts in the metros. Been wishing to visit Japan again since the "Fastline" level in Counter Strike: The Deleted Scenes.

I would say some European country like one of the Scandinavian and Baltic countries, but living in Estonia, I must say there isn't even any room for any serious crimelife here anyway. All we do is just study in construction, and get our asses over to finland because of the better jobs and come back just for the cheap booze. 

And all I wish for from the current map is to find more off roading trails, where I could climb over rocks and rocket through a small river... oh, and more garages in SP.

Snapabowl
  • Snapabowl

Errl User

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

London would be FANTASTIC!  I'd love to play a GTA set there.  I've never been but from photos I see I think it would make a really cool environment to explore.

Vexikuri
  • Vexikuri

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Chicago would be the best.  Lake Michigan is a huge amount of water, has suburbs etc.

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 PM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Well first of all op. this should be in general series sub-category, second R* made themselves pretty much clear that they won't leave US making GTA games in future, so it rules out London, which everyone route for so much, judging by the polls! And final and the most important R* never name in-game cities with their real counterparts, if we're talking about Las Vegas - then its Las Venturas, if we're talking about Miami - then its Vice City! Lets call things who they should be called and how R* imply it should be, it is better that way...yes this is pretty much nitpicking, but it had to be said, because some people around these forums fail to realize the difference between real setting and fictional, thats where all the GTA games take place!...And now back on topic, my favorite city is Las Vegas, so i'd prefer if R* made their next game in Las Venturas and if its possible in Vice City as well, so there would be more use of the jet planes and airports! (yes i know that both Miami and Las Vegas are on completely different sides of US, but it doesn't mean we should put both of those cities on a single map! After all R* could make two separate maps and when you fly a plane from one map to another the screen flashes with the loading screen, that says something like "welcome to Las Venturas" or among the lines and map instantly changes from Vice City's to Las Venturas' one!...).

I'm aware of that my friend, I know that they won't use the real-world names, I stated that myself in the original post. Whatever city they want to use, whatever name they want to call it, whatever location they'd like to place, I know that it would have to be fictional, not literally CHICAGO. I don't understand, after re-reading my own post several times how people keep making this error.

Secondly, this category is just fine, because I'm asking from a gameplay standpoint, which city would make for a new, fresh and unique experience. . I'd like you to show where or when Rockstar said the series wouldn't venture outside of America. 

Regarding the two-city game, that would be really cool, I mean the sky is the limit with these new consoles and the power they have, but it would be awesome if they could render 2-3 huge cities (like the big three LA, NY, and CHI) for us to play around with. The multiplayer would be unprecedented, waiting for your buddies at the airport as they depart from their flight. There's so much they could do with that. Great Idea.

FEDE_snma_ITA
  • FEDE_snma_ITA

Shipped up to Boston

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I would like a GTA set in the great metropolis of north east USA, like Chicago or even better Detroit.
I just like these places and i think they need to explore these parts of America before thinking to set one in Europe.
An HD vice city could be interesting too.

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm British, and I wouldn't want it set here.  To me GTA just wouldn't work in a modern day British setting for many reasons.

I'd like to see it set in either a New Orleans or Seattle derived city as both can offer a whole range of new environments that haven't been seen in GTA before.  New Orleans has things like the Lafayette Cemetery, French Quarter and surrounding swamps while Seattle has dense redwood forests, the possibility of snow and the nearby Canadian border.

Roded88
  • Roded88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I thought that too but by sea it's not that far away. Then again they wouldn't at all have to stick to realistic aspects. They could just say, well there is a country called USA and a country called Mexico...everything else is pretty much up to their imagination as long as it's slightly realistc.

But even if they stick to realism I'd agree with you...with next gen this is possible. Just look what they did on current gen! Never thought it would be possible to create such a HUGE and DETAILED game. I'm just curious how long it would take....if it should be detailed they have to do it all manually, no copy and pasting woods and mountains into the map. As they said with V they reconsidered the location of every tree on the map. I don't think they actually meant "every" tree but you get the point. It's a hand-made game and we expect this standard now.

Yea I mean hell I don't mind it and think it would be awesome Togo from Miami to Mexico on next gen. Flying swimming taking a boat across massive amount of water. Only to land in Mexico for an entire new city. Other options could be not only Cuba but Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Virgin Islands all that stuff included so that way you won't be on a boat or swimming for 15 mins. Going from Miami to 1 island after another.

Roded88
  • Roded88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm British, and I wouldn't want it set here.  To me GTA just wouldn't work in a modern day British setting for many reasons.

I'd like to see it set in either a New Orleans or Seattle derived city as both can offer a whole range of new environments that haven't been seen in GTA before.  New Orleans has things like the Lafayette Cemetery, French Quarter and surrounding swamps while Seattle has dense redwood forests, the possibility of snow and the nearby Canadian border.

Seattle would be cool and being able to cross the border into Canada. They could do how they did in red dead, and just connect the 2 areas

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Eventually, they have introduce a new city. My choices would be Chicago (since I live in the south suburbs and it's the in the news quite often for the wrong reasons) or Tokyo. I wouldn't mind seeing another one set in London either.

That's what I'm saying, if you believe what others have been saying, the next one will be Vice City (like no doubt apparently) and they won't set it outside the US. I don't get how a lot of these people don't consider Chicago (and many others mentioned actually) isn't unique and diverse enough to have the honor of being the model of which the next GTA city is based. I mean, we all have our own tastes, so not everyone will like Los Santos or Vice City and not everyone will like Liberty City/ New York and other dense metropolises. They already did a warm, tropical, oceanic paradise in GTA V, I know Miami/Vice City is different from Los Santos/LA just like how New York and Chicago have many differences, but the fact is that it'd practically be the same game after we just played GTA V. What I'd like to see is Rockstar to take the franchise to a new location, of course one of fiction, but essentially somewhere they haven't been so to speak.

I know it is very different in real life but chicago would be too similar to Liberty City for me in the way it looks and feels.

I like the sound of Mexico City. Could maybe make a fictional Mexico City with a cross border US city?

See it's comments like this that undermine the identity and soul of both those respective cities ignoring their many and great differences despite their few similarities. I don't much about Mexico City, so I can't really judge what that would be like. I would need to see the place, and then Rockstar's "Take" or version of it for their game to say whether I'd like it or not.

I'd love to see London, and considering its kind of already been done by Rockstar in the past its certainly not out of the question.

There's lots of potential with London, although it would be odd to see it completely surrounded by sea like LS and LC are. The city of London with the surrounding countryside and typical British towns/villages would be brilliant, and with the next gen it would be able to have a huge map. The Thames estuary could be on it, which opens out into the sea on the East coast. Then there's a lot of famous landmarks in the city that people love seeing in GTA games (Statue of Happiness, Vinewood sign, Rotterdam Tower etc.), for example there's Big Ben, the Thames itself, the London Eye would be perfect for some missions and in free roam, Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, various football stadiums. London has a lot of stuff that would be great for a future GTA.

Having said all that, GTA VI will be set in Vice City.

A lot of people seem confident about the fact Vice City is owed to be the location for the next GTA, I hope for monotony's sake they're mistaken. But regarding your above comments, I actually didn't really notice that their cities are always islands surrounded by ocean. So I guess a GTA-style Chicago would be even more interesting then people are letting on because, as I myself have already acknowledged, wherever the game takes place and whatever they decide to base it on, it will have to be fictitious, so that gives them a huge license to change and tweak things to make it different, unique and have an identity of it own, while still emulating some of it's character, culture and geography. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users