Quantcast

» «
Photo

Where should the next GTA take place?

272 replies to this topic

Poll: Next GTA city (297 member(s) have cast votes)

Which city would make for the best location in the next GTA?

1. New York City (3 votes [1.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

2. London (48 votes [16.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.16%

3. Chicago (22 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Dubai (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Miami (84 votes [28.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.28%

6. Las Vegas (38 votes [12.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

7. Los Angeles (2 votes [0.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

8. Detroit (14 votes [4.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

9. Hawaii (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

10. New Orleans (12 votes [4.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.04%

11. Philedelphia (4 votes [1.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

12. Other American City (Baltimore, Atlanta, D.C. etc.) (11 votes [3.70%] - View)

13. Other International City (Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Mexico City etc.) (21 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

14. None of the above, I'll post in the comments (16 votes [5.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

Seattle!!!

whopper22
  • whopper22

Detroit

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Detroit would be good. it doesnt have the biggest downtown area but its total area is bigger than NYC and LA combined! plus it has the Ambassador bridge to Canada. living in Detroit myself, i know it would be perfect for GTA  mostly because it has such a unique culture different from other American cities

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:24 AM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 02:27 AM.

vegas area would be neat because of the grand canyon but that would be a huge waste of space after a few explorations

I think that's a problem a lot of these cities have, they maybe interesting and unique, but if they don't offer enough variety they would become dull too quickly. Especially given R*'s tendency to scale down these places tremendously. 

Hm, well you make a good case, you think I should remove Australia from the pole in favor of say... Rio? I think Australia could be done, I don't have any hate toward it and it's under exposure means for a bunch of surprises and wow-factor. There is a lot to learn and you may not know what to expect. But bear in mind, just because you may not hear about it much, doesn't mean Australia may or may not have a gang/gun/drug-violence issue like many of the other cities you mentioned that many of us are familiar with. 

I just reckon Rio or Moscow make for better stories and settings. These kind of things are on the rise in Australia (living in it's closest neighbour) I watch their cop chase/crime video full of trailer trash tv progs, but compared to the rivals it'd be pretty low down on my wish list.

However, I think Australia would be an excellent location for RDR

Ooh, I didn't think about an Australian-set RDR, that's genius, great idea! Even though Rio deserves to star in another game, as Amigo pointed it out, Rio was the setting for Max Payne 3 and if they can take us to a location we haven't been to yet then I believe they should, rather than bringing us back to say NYC or Miami, as cool as those places are.

About somewhere different. I'm tired of going and forth to the same ole city. 

Well a lot of those cities in the poll actually have never been in a Rockstar game, *cough* Chicago *cough*. So what about New Orleans? Vegas? Or Detroit? or Philly? Or even a non-American city like Dubai, Shanghai or London? Are these places really that boring?

Detroit, New Orleans and Las Vegas would be my choices for a game set in America. We have to take into account the countryside as well now, too- New Orleans' bayous could be interesting, especially if they have a third of the map off the coast in the gulf, with a little Carribean-esque archipelago. Las Vegas would be interesting as a setting for its gambling, obviously, and Detroit would be great if Rockstar can pull off the sh*thole. Outside of America, Australia would be great, but only if they can incorporate the countryside into it, as someone here said Melbourne and Sydney aren't exactly in the heart of the outback. Istanbul could be fun too, with its winding streets and has plently of interesting countryside to boot.

I would put my vote in for Chicago and Dubai. Of any city I can think of, of anything mentioned or listed, those are the only places that genuinely interest me. Chicago might not offer a "countryside" like New Orleans, or "Los Santos"/LA but hey, the whole urban metropolis is easily as big as the playable area in GTA V. That's an exceeding amount of room to roam around and do sh*t in. I like the idea of playing in a sh*t whole, but I want to be wowed, awed and amazed, Stillwater from Volition's Saints Row gave me enough Detroit to last the next decade lol. 

I do agree despite other's objections that The "Great Outback" makes for a unique and exotic environment to explore.

Ahh okay, well in that case my vote is for Atlanta because of the drugs scene, the gangs, the rap scene & just the area is a really gritty place & could work well.

You've got the potential for drug runs, drug deals, gang shootouts, home invasions, even some rapper characters like in SA with OG Locc & Madd Dogg lol

But not everyone is big on the whole gangbanging scene, but lets not lie, San Andreas was one of the best GTA games made lol

I can't speak for Dubai, but I think Chicago has that in spades, minus the rapp culture/history. It does have a notorous history of crime and gang violence.

Yogi-Chi
  • Yogi-Chi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

I would love to see R* do Chicago. Partly because I live there, but also because of The Sears Tower (or The Big Willy, as it's sometimes referred to nowadays), the multi-branched river with trunion bridges that sometimes get stuck in the up position, the underground (occasionally flooded) tunnel network, and think of the fun you could have with Lower Wacker Drive! The great car chase from Blues Brothers could be incorporated, maybe even unlock a souped-up Bluesmobile clone. No mountains, sorry to say. Plenty of crime and corruption, though! We're kind of famous for it. :-)

Let's face it, though, they could make GTA: Chattanooga or GTA: Des Moines, and I'd play it. Hmm...GTA: Omaha?

Also, I always thought that before too long they'll be able to combine the game technology with satellite mapping, so you can make a map of whatever area you want. Add a random scattering of generic missions, some regional pedestrians/scenery...I think it would be interesting.

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

Detroit would be good. it doesnt have the biggest downtown area but its total area is bigger than NYC and LA combined! plus it has the Ambassador bridge to Canada. living in Detroit myself, i know it would be perfect for GTA  mostly because it has such a unique culture different from other American cities

Is that true? That sounds... Well I don't believe it, the skeptic in me says NYC proper (so not just the Manhattan Island, the whole city) is so massive, you almost can't capture it one picture. I'm not against playing in Detroit, but I think Chicago has as much to offer it's would-be players as any of these cities, it's very underrated. 

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

In Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. I'd love to play a GTA in Israel.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Then I say Houston, TX. It the 4th largest city in America and has a large diversity of people. 

TheGTAone
  • TheGTAone

Piβwasser Founder

• Members
  • Germany

I  think it's time to return to Vice City, baby. 

ss3.jpg

GTA-Grand-Theft-Auto-3-III-Vice-City-San

25729-video_games_gta_vice_city_wallpape

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:33 AM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 02:38 AM.

I would love to see R* do Chicago. Partly because I live there, but also because of The Sears Tower (or The Big Willy, as it's sometimes referred to nowadays), the multi-branched river with trunion bridges that sometimes get stuck in the up position, the underground (occasionally flooded) tunnel network, and think of the fun you could have with Lower Wacker Drive! The great car chase from Blues Brothers could be incorporated, maybe even unlock a souped-up Bluesmobile clone. No mountains, sorry to say. Plenty of crime and corruption, though! We're kind of famous for it. :-)

Let's face it, though, they could make GTA: Chattanooga or GTA: Des Moines, and I'd play it. Hmm...GTA: Omaha?

Also, I always thought that before too long they'll be able to combine the game technology with satellite mapping, so you can make a map of whatever area you want. Add a random scattering of generic missions, some regional pedestrians/scenery...I think it would be interesting.

That's what I'm trying to say, you provided more details than I did though, well stated man. You could be right that the next title could be some place not many of us were expecting or are familiar with, and chances are we'd still line up and buy it, but that's the point of this thread, is to see what people want. Did R* come out and ask us if we wanted it to be in Los Santos/LA? I don't think so, and maybe this is a futile effort, it's still lots of fun, at least for me it is.

I can only fantasize for now, how awesome a Chicago-based GTA would be. I should probably pick up Watchdogs though since it's set there, and from the looks of it, seems like pretty badass open-world game that takes place in the future too! Sick. Also because I am writing a fictional story about vigilantism.

TheGTAone
  • TheGTAone

Piβwasser Founder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

I couldn't agree more. It's the perfect city for a GTA.

o-DETROIT-SKYLINE-facebook.jpg

detroit3.jpg

Detroit-1942.jpg_2033098437.jpg

Slums-of-Detroit12.jpg

detroit-from-the-air-by-joy-van-buhler-v

1374962708991.jpg

detroit_la_ciudad_de_los_amantes_de_las_

Detroit.jpg

• Blunt Force Trauma likes this

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

Would love Vice City, but for something new I'd like Portland, Oregon. Or Denver, Colorado.

joehdez14
  • joehdez14

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

Sydney Australia? Not that I live there . It'd be cool to see Australia. :)

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Detroit won't be feasible because by the time the next game is out no one will be living there.

• GamerPatriot likes this

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Later, losers.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

It's gotta be Miami/Vice City. Everyone's been wanting it since GTA IV!

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

Detroit already has robocop. They need to worry about getting out of their debt then having a video game. 

• EyeMacHunt likes this

BostonBeatdown4
  • BostonBeatdown4

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

Im wishing for Boston, but mainly cause I live here and love the city, but it does have a rich history rockstar can explore for aa game

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:59 AM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 03:15 AM.

Very nice pictures GTAone, I really like them. But I just think that Detroit, even though I wouldn't say no, would be a better location for a place like that game coming "the DIvision" (even though I heard it's set in NYC, go figure), or a post-apocalyptic game like Fallout or Borderlands, it has a vibe to it that's dark and foreboding, something really nothing can match. 

But in this next GTA, I'd like Rockstar to move to big, huge epic things, mega cities like Chicago and Dubai. With the former having traits like Detroit, Atlanta and Baltimore do, but not strictly what define it. Now Look at these pictures of the latter, Dubai that is, and tell me, that you would NOT want to play GTA here:

Dubai_Marina-Asia-Cityscape.jpg

8216719243_07bbe7b066_b.jpg

41.jpg

sufferblind86
  • sufferblind86

Exploring Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

I am biased, being from Michigan, but I have to go with Detroit. It seems like the perfect place for it. Also, with going into the next generation, if they could but countryside in it and possibly even a recreation of Flint, and have two of the most violent and crime ridden cities in America represented in one game.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

I am biased, being from Michigan, but I have to go with Detroit. It seems like the perfect place for it. Also, with going into the next generation, if they could but countryside in it and possibly even a recreation of Flint, and have two of the most violent and crime ridden cities in America represented in one game.

Is it bragging right to be from one of the most crime infested cities in the country? 

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

Is it bragging right to be from one of the most crime infested cities in the country? 

Hey hey hey, lets not get hostile and start trolling each other. Lets keep this friendly and peaceful.

sufferblind86
  • sufferblind86

Exploring Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:19 AM Edited by sufferblind86, 25 September 2013 - 03:21 AM.

I'm not from Detroit. I said I was from Michigan. I live NEAR Flint, but not in Flint. There was no sense of pride in my statement, just that the city would fit the mood of a GTA game.  Like the guy above me said, no need to start trolling. Let's keep on topic.

Aside from that, I would like to see a modern Vice City as well. I thought V was going to be in Vice City before they announced LS.

gzam1312
  • gzam1312

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

London, Paris, Berlin. Protag in each city/country with switching mechanic. Theme: GTA 6: Reopening old wounds.

LeeH1989
  • LeeH1989

Ex Crew Member Of Micheal's...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

I really hope its vice city next , all of the stuff is there, the weather of los santos the colour of the sky the water the thunderstorms, palm trees, underwater I really want vice city lol

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

How about, none of the real world settings any of you have mentioned, because R* have been crafting a fictional universe based around the cities featured in the very first game for over 15 years now?

But the world rockstar creates is based around real world locations. Certainly you are not suggesting Rockstar is going to do GTA Gotham city or San Angelos(demolition man)

Locations are loosely based on, or influenced by, real world locations. Some of the options in the poll can be immediately excluded for this reason. For example, New York and Liberty City both used as locations? Won't work. Same goes for Miami/Vice City and San Andreas/California. What's the point in developing a fictional America full of parodies of the real world then giving up and filling it with simulations of real cities?

You want to know where I'd like a GTA game to be set at some point in the future? Carcer City. It only ever featured in Manhunt in the form of comparatively small level maps, but it has a lot of backstory thanks to R*'s fantastic writers, and it gets a mention several times in the GTA games. I think it has potential and I'd like to see more of it. 

I'm not the first to say this, I know. People have been asking for a GTA set in Carcer for a while now. According to the Rockstar story writers, and judging by the events of Manhunt, Carcer City is a gang infested hellhole, ravaged by crime. It could be the setting for the most relentlessly violent and unforgiving GTA game yet.

ImBoss450
  • ImBoss450

Im a Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

I dont want Vice City / Miami to return, sorry.

Shaun83
  • Shaun83

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

I'm from Melbourne Australia, and I honestly DO NOT want to see a GTA in Australia. I mean sure we had the whole underbelly thug happening, but it's such a tiny part of us in reality that any GTA game based here would be waaaaay over exaggerated more so then it already is. Plus I can't stand hearing the over exaggerated Aussie accents. Not everyone here sounds like sandy from grease! The Simpsons episode for example, when there in australia, I cannot watch it because I feel too awkward and embarrassed!

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

Aside from the London GTA. GTA has always been about a satirical look at American civilization. Going anywhere else would make it not a GTA Game.

I think since theyve gone back to both LC and LS that they need to look at giving us a modern VC. I was never impressed or even interested in LV or LS.

LeeH1989
  • LeeH1989

Ex Crew Member Of Micheal's...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

Deffo a modern vice city next, il b disappointed if not, then id say carcer city to give watch dogs Chicago time to die down then R* can do their version of chicago then imagine all of these cities added to next gen version of gta online, liberty city, vice city and los santos n carcer would be epic

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

I couldn't agree more. It's the perfect city for a GTA.

Slums-of-Detroit12.jpg

Lol, that's not Detroit or any American city for that matter.

• Blunt Force Trauma likes this

Blunt Force Trauma
  • Blunt Force Trauma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:19 AM Edited by Blunt Force Trauma, 25 September 2013 - 05:25 AM.

Aside from the London GTA. GTA has always been about a satirical look at American civilization. Going anywhere else would make it not a GTA Game.

I think since theyve gone back to both LC and LS that they need to look at giving us a modern VC. I was never impressed or even interested in LV or LS.

Yes, I agree GTA has almost always been about a parody of American culture, but I think for reasons mentioned before it could be pulled off quite successfully. To say leaving America wouldn't make it GTA anymore is a bit presumptuous, although as much as I love my British comedy, I would prefer it they based the city on Chicago, or if it was international, Dubai.  

And I as well, have always thought that Vice City/Miami and Los Santos/LA have been greatly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do like GTA V and Los Santos is fun, but it pales in comparison to Chicago and definitely Dubai (Non/US city) for the potential in terms of sheer content. Imagine how stunning both of these places would be with the latest graphics, lighting, textures and physics/collisions. I would be disappointed if RockStar re-released a "new-and-improved" polished Vice City. If it plays anything like GTA 4/5 do then I might have to pass on it. That's the other thing here, unless it were Chicago or Dubai, for me, I couldn't play this game once again with virtually the same un-altered engine. If they came out with a totally upgraded and re-vamped GTA, I don't really care where they set it at or what they base it off. Just how I feel.

I'm from Melbourne Australia, and I honestly DO NOT want to see a GTA in Australia. I mean sure we had the whole underbelly thug happening, but it's such a tiny part of us in reality that any GTA game based here would be waaaaay over exaggerated more so then it already is. Plus I can't stand hearing the over exaggerated Aussie accents. Not everyone here sounds like sandy from grease! The Simpsons episode for example, when there in australia, I cannot watch it because I feel too awkward and embarrassed!

So, what is Australia like then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users