Photo

Subtitles are terrible

27 replies to this topic
FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Title says it all, I'd say about 50% of the time there is an added word or a completely different word not included into the subtitles that is actually being said. Anyone else notice this or am I the only one that likes subtitles on?

polycount
  • polycount

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yep. Agreed.

A lot of times subtitles don't even show up for anything at all..

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yep. Agreed.

A lot of times subtitles don't even show up for anything at all..

Yeah noticed that too, but I kind of expected some of that.

TheWarzoneXL
  • TheWarzoneXL

Banging Michael's Housekeeper

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

GTA IV had those problems as well.

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I noticed the errors, e.g. "too" instead of Two

Or words slightly different.

But I wouldn't say 50%, that's a bit extreme, there is thousands of lines and I only occasionally spot an actual error.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

They aren't that bad.  They aren't word-for-word with the script, but they're close enough.  If you want to see bad, then look at Ride to Hell: Retribution (lel).

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

I noticed the errors, e.g. "too" instead of Two

Or words slightly different.

But I wouldn't say 50%, that's a bit extreme, there is thousands of lines and I only occasionally spot an actual error.

Do some hangouts with friends maybe not 50% but it's extremely high in that area of the game. This is also still in LS been taking the game extremely slow I'm talking not even gotten all the characters or had a first heist yet slow.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

As someone who is hard of hearing its a big disappointment that its very hard to tell who's saying what when you are driving along as the subtitles have no indication as to who is speaking and the context isn't always obvious.

iN31L
  • iN31L

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Yes. Everything about this game is terrible. Let's just complain about everything, hopefully R* is listening. 

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:14 PM Edited by FearTheLiving, 24 September 2013 - 10:16 PM.

GTA IV had those problems as well.

I didn't find it as noticeable as I have for V and I've completed IV twice 100% I'm not even that far into the story for V and I'm already noticing it a lot. Not saying it's game breaking or anything or even really that annoying just surprising really.

Yes. Everything about this game is terrible. Let's just complain about everything, hopefully R* is listening. 

My thought is that they're was just a lot more ad libbing involved with V than IV.

Brumsle
  • Brumsle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:15 PM Edited by Brumsle, 24 September 2013 - 10:24 PM.

German is my native language (i am austrian - not australian^^) and my talking and wrinting in english is not good (i didnt use it) but i understand US english perfectly. The german subtitles are nothing but horrible. You see my english writing skills, i could do way better.

So much jokes/characters go down the drain with german subtitles...its awkward.

BUT still better than some sh*t like in the game "the last of us" where unmotivated voiceactors rape your ears and the story. You can ignore Subtitles, or fade it out, but you will never "unhear" a bad transation spoken from bad Voiceactors. First world problems^^

Sorry for my bad english writing skils, i learned almost everything by listening, and i am glad i did,m because games, movies and series are always better the way they are written. Better no transation then bad translation. Better no subtitles than bad subtitles.

ryanhunter_rfc
  • ryanhunter_rfc

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

There is a reason for this. Improvisation. The actors add a little twist to the script to suit the characters and to make them more believable. For example Slink (Lamar) may say to Rod Edge that A gangbanger from LA would never say that. However, the script that is translated into the game will not change.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

German is my native language (i am austrian - not australian^^) and my talking and wrinting in english is not good (i didnt use it) but i understand US english perfectly. The german subtitles are nothing but horrible. You see my english writing skills, i could do way better.

Perhaps I'm just being an "ignorant American", but doesn't just about everything translated from English to German or vice-versa turn out quite bad.  This seems to be the case with music anyways.

• Brumsle likes this

Brumsle
  • Brumsle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Perhaps I'm just being an "ignorant American", but doesn't just about everything translated from English to German or vice-versa turn out quite bad.  This seems to be the case with music anyways.

Good point, but if you are a translator, payed for translating, you should do your beest, should you? There are, especially in case of humour, wordplays that just doesnt work in translation. But i see so much "lazyness" in translation. Movies, series, games....they just translate it sloppy, and a smart and cool character talking sloppy is not smart anymore, you know what i mean?

Not to talk about lipsync...where the girl dies in the last of us, every word and every emotion was brought to you. In german translation there was to much talking (not even pure german, a mix from german and bad english...) totally not lipsync, totally far away to "put life into a fiction character".

In games like COD you dont need ot put life in the caracter, but in RPGS of any kind the game needs it...maybe i am the only one that thinks so.

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

If you're gonna bitch about something, bitch about something good..

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

That makes no sense why would anyone wanna bitch about something that's good..?

Trevor's Mother
  • Trevor's Mother

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm using portuguese subtitles (i'm brazilian) and it works fine, very well translated by the way. No problems at all.

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

That makes no sense why would anyone wanna bitch about something that's good..?

As in, bitching about something that's worth it. Like when it's been raining for the whole week; they'd be whining, but it does suck haha

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hey, remember the GTA III subtitles? Yeah... that's what I thought!

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

My subtitles were fine.. But as I recall NO SUBTITLES are 100% lol. Not television subs, not song lyrics, etc.

DownwardGoose
  • DownwardGoose

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:58 PM Edited by DownwardGoose, 25 September 2013 - 12:59 PM.

The subtitles add in a few extra words?!

Selling it. Awful game.

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Selling it. Awful game.

Did you actually read any of my posts? Just because I think the subtitles are bad doesn't mean it's bothering me lol. This forum some times I swear.

DIGGOO
  • DIGGOO

лол

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Really? Really? f*cking really??

DownwardGoose
  • DownwardGoose

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Selling it. Awful game.

Did you actually read any of my posts? Just because I think the subtitles are bad doesn't mean it's bothering me lol. This forum some times I swear.

See, I was taking the piss because it's kind of a stupid topic. 

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Selling it. Awful game.

See, I was taking the piss because it's kind of a stupid topic. 

And I'm sure you have some real winners under your belt. I'm sorry for bringing up a discussion I've never seen before and happened to notice I'll be sure to start a couple more UFO related ones along with the driving physics because this forum needs more of those.

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Since i understand English, I disabled after few missions played so i can't tell if it's terrible or not.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I am pretty sure they has a monkey write the subtitles, so many spelling errors its amazing

RichG
  • RichG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

If you actually need the subtitles how would you even notice? I mean, aren't they for people who are deaf or speak  a different language?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users