GTA Online to add microtransactions?

41 replies to this topic
henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Proud member of the SA Pfister Owners Club™

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

Sorry if this is old news, but I haven't seen it posted around here...

http://www.gamespot....actions-6414874

Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer mode--GTA Online--could introduce microtransactions, if a new claim turns out to be true. Reddit user 1880 discovered a file from the store section of the GTAV menu (which is currently empty) that mentions something called "Cash Cards."

This XML file mentions downloadable content from the game's special editions, as well as four "Cash Cards" ranging from $100,000 to $1,250,000.

"Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online," reads a description of the cards. "All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting."

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

http://gtaforums.com...ith-real-money/

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

You doubt it?

Bat Guano
  • Bat Guano

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

et tu, rockstar?

• Baron von Doom likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

the middle of nowhere, the centre of everywhere.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Not surprising really.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

That's actually a good thing. It means if you dnt want to pay anything and keep playing for free, you can, and make the money yourself in missions etc. I'm happy to shake on it.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

I don't really like this idea. People can have a quick advantage over me.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

So now cash is king... I will miss respect being everything.

Big Danny K
  • Big Danny K

FAR CRY 5 - FEB 27th, 2018

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Can't believe R* is gonna do that too... Free to play, Pay to win...
  • Kaster likes this

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

If this means I'll be getting free updates for the next year(s) or so, I'll be more than happy. Bioware did the same thing for the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and that resulted in five free expansions.

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:28 AM Edited by TrevorPhilipsInc, 24 September 2013 - 05:29 AM.

In my experience with microtransaction games...The games become extremely grindy, the economy is built in such a way as to make it possible to earn the money/gear without real money but its always a serious pain in the ass. What takes someone with real cash moments to earn in game takes other days, weeks and months. Some games with microtransactions are so grindy and slow it can take a better part of a year for you to get to whatever goal money/gear wise you might have. The idea is to get you very frustrated, the more frustrated you are the more likely youre to take the 'easy' way out and pull your wallet out. The games usually have a lot of promise, a lot to offer but the microtransactions turns it into a mindnumbing process.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:40 AM Edited by Sol86star, 24 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Good, this is completely optional.

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Just a guy who likes to play games

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:44 AM Edited by ViciousLuke, 24 September 2013 - 05:45 AM.

I wouldn't panic now. It's just for people who want to get things faster, but they gonna pay with real money. You will get that money from missions, so no worries. It's like a shortcut. And this isn't really some kind of a big advantage. You'll be able to buy houses n sh*t. Not everything in GTA Online is competetive, you can mess online with your friends. I don't see how this is a very bad thing. People who are frustrated will buy things for real money, while others will enjoy making money in-game.

Big Danny K
  • Big Danny K

FAR CRY 5 - FEB 27th, 2018

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

In my experience with microtransaction games...The games become extremely grindy, the economy is built in such a way as to make it possible to earn the money/gear without real money but its always a serious pain in the ass. What takes someone with real cash moments to earn in game takes other days, weeks and months. Some games with microtransactions are so grindy and slow it can take a better part of a year for you to get to whatever goal money/gear wise you might have. The idea is to get you very frustrated, the more frustrated you are the more likely youre to take the 'easy' way out and pull your wallet out. The games usually have a lot of promise, a lot to offer but the microtransactions turns it into a mindnumbing process.

Totally agree with you, it seems like there is an unfair advantage for those who can fork out the 10-15$ for a premium account over those who can't
Take APB for example, another "pay to win" game, I played it for a while but then I saw that I'm not making any progress while other new players who bought a premium account became 'gods' within a few days while regular players have to work for months to achieve the same goals, I hope R* is not heading for that direction

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

You did notice that there is a direct link to the xbox store/psn when you enter ammu-nation right.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

I just hope we can transfer some of our online money to single player money and vice versa.

VillNess
  • VillNess

Apina

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

I just hope we can transfer some of our online money to single player money and vice versa.

Not gonna happen. GTA V and GTA Online will be two different things. They're using the same engine and world (for now....) but still they are different. But who knows, I just don't see this happening.

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

I don't like this idea because R* will make it be a long and hard process to get things for people who don't pay, people who do pay will have instant access to many things, and when the people who don't pay finally get to those things and earn it then it won't even feel like much of an accomplishment when everyone else who paid already has these things plus more. I would be fine if you could only use these micro transitions on hair and clothing and maybe cars, but guns and properties/safehouses. It takes competition and reward factor out of it for people who don't wanna pay

TheSoup
  • TheSoup

Welsh Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Pfft, won't effect me either way. Im 42 now, have everything (house, car, life, etc) in real life. There is absolutely nothing in a game that I want to buy with real dosh. Im perfectly happy with whatever I can steal. I love games, but not tha much.

rex84
  • rex84

Lost Breed MC

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

You'll be able to earn in-game with your crew, this is more for people who are poor earners or lone wolves. 

I think if we took a poll, we'd find out that most of the people who have a problem with this are Sue Murray voters anyway.  

Whiteox_1st
  • Whiteox_1st

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Pretty gutted that they're doing this, i really am.. i was so f*cking excited by the idea of them having this amazing Economy that millions of people are going to all change willingly, benefiting some and causing loss for others.

But basically i hate the idea, and it could potentially have the stock markets and the economy ruined within a few months if enough people pay out 50 dollars or so for a chunk of money.

Say for example 5 people on a 16 player server are paying to play, they won't be looking to go rob a bank and fill the 4th spot of a crew, because obviously they have enough money, so someones left short.

Meh even if that is the only sh*tty reason i can come up with, the point is this game looked amazing, it's a cheap scumbag move by Rockstar to have made so much and still ask for more, the whole thing was setup to begin with.

I went to my EB games a few weeks ago, the guy asked me if i wanted to pre-order GTA V, i said nah i'll just wait untill it comes out of the Ps4 and save 100$ ... he said nah man it's exclusive to the ps3 it won't be out for the ps4..

Now they're making a double release to potentially double all their profit by selling it twice.

It just f*cks me off to see how many times Rockstar is going to sh*t out everyones money.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Not gonna happen. GTA V and GTA Online will be two different things. They're using the same engine and world (for now....) but still they are different. But who knows, I just don't see this happening.

I hope you are wrong but I get the feeling it isn't going to happen.

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Do this and I'll be avoiding GTAO.

Plus, it seems they've left a lot of stuff out of SP to put into MP. 

I think they'll be moving GTA to online only in the future where you need to pay subscriptions/DLC and microtransactions. 

This is the end of GTA as we know it, I think, and it makes me really sad since it's my favourite gaming series.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

I told people that Strauss Zelnick would get his way this time. He's been aiming for this for a long time when it comes to GTA, but people kept denying that it would happen because Rockstar are not like the rest..yaddayadda.

Every company (including Rockstar) is in it for the money and don't care what the players think. They only need a dedicated small crowd of customers to make it worthwhile too.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I told people that Strauss Zelnick would get his way this time. He's been aiming for this for a long time when it comes to GTA, but people kept denying that it would happen because Rockstar are not like the rest..yaddayadda.

Every company (including Rockstar) is in it for the money and don't care what the players think. They only need a dedicated small crowd of customers to make it worthwhile too.

I'd say it's more Take Two than Rockstar really. Because if Take Two says something, Rockstar will have to do it because after all Take Two are still their "bosses".

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:02 PM Edited by Wipex President Mike, 24 September 2013 - 08:04 PM.

Well I am hugely disappointed in rockstar lowering themselves to this level, to the level they parody other games doing this exact thing in game. Kind of ironic really as a fan of 16 years, im starting to think I wont be a fan of the next GTA.

Could this be the real reason for the delay? R* caving to take 2s demands of pay to play in the final moments? I think so.

Angelus031
  • Angelus031

I like turtles

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

et tu, rockstar?

Et me, buddy.

BananLaks
  • BananLaks

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Wow, R* Hooray! :(

stockwiz
  • stockwiz

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I root for the crackers in these cases to crack the game and make all the online content available offline. After paying 60 bucks and earning a billion in revenues, to nickel and dime players to get more content is just plain greedy. Period.

• Bonnano likes this

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by Edward-Is-A-Flunky45, 25 September 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Can't believe R* is gonna do that too... Free to play, Pay to win...

Not actually pay to win because you'll also get a lot of money from heists and the 500 missions. It's pointless to buy it because people can steal it from you in game. Crazy Idea by Rockstar doe. But I think it's take 2... Rockstar has never done such things. If they don't follow daddy Strauss they're out of buzz.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users