Photo

GTA V single player gets shafted for Pay to Win GTA Online. Why it'

275 replies to this topic
GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Winning in GTA Online IS BY HAVING THE MOST MONEY!!!

The missions and stocks are a means to an end - making money.

rocinante89
  • rocinante89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

You'd better start saving your pocket money so, kiddo.

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Technically, 

for those who actually care, the kill death ratio is winning, as it is on GTA 4. 

Your cash amount wont be a scorecard on social club if you can buy cash, as no one will give a sh*t.

• EyeMacHunt likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm sorry, OP, but this sort of attitude is just plain ignorant and prevents many quality games from monetizing properly.

Selling in-game items, money, or anything else that lets you get ahead is entirely legit. What would you have to do to get in-game money? Spend your time playing the game. What do people who pay for in-game money get? They get to spend their time on something else. That's all that is.

This isn't a pay-to-win. Because Online isn't about winning. It's about playing the game and enjoying the process. Some people don't have the time for grinding through and want to skip to the good stuff. This is particularly true of people with demanding jobs. People for whom money is easier to spare than time. Giving these people a way to get progress for money is a good thing. It makes sense in terms of game fulfilling its primary purpose, which is entertainment, and it makes sense in terms of better monetization of the game. It allows developers to either cut prices for everyone else or develop more content for everyone else. It's good for everyone.

The only wrong way to sell in-game content is when it is exclusively payed content. Something that gives an unfair advantage and cannot be practically obtained without paying. When there are people around you who get all the loot/kills/whatever you need to progress instead of you because they payed, that's bad. That makes the game less fun for you. Money isn't one of these things. There will always be players who managed to spend more time in the game and get ahead of you financially. Will these players ruin the game? No. Any reasonable MMO has niches for the very beginners and for the players who have gotten far into the game. Buying in-game currency only helps players get faster into that later category. It isn't harming anyone who chooses to advance naturally.

There are more things that can be said about right and wrong ways to do payed content, but the key here is that any game with a well established economy cannot be hurt by selling in-game currency. It can be soled by developer, or it can be traded between players for real money with developers taking a cut. Each method can be more appropriate for a particular type of economy. Since GTA Online economy is definitely an open type, it makes more sense for developer to sell in-game currency directly. This is the right call, and trying to make people hate the game or developer for it by twisting it into something dishonest is just dumb.
  • Sting4S, Scar3dGam3r and SilencedScream like this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

every game ive played of this type online also have ways to make money in the game which involves much time and effort and usually more time is spent trying to make money than actually playing the game.  I dont have too much trouble being willing to pay to play in cases where the cost is low and they continue to always update the game and add new content but if they drop support and never add anything i wont be playing it.

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I hope all these morons threatening to sell their game or not play online actually follow through with their threats. They all sound like 'the sky is falling' noobs who believe anything they see on the internet. Online gaming without these peanuts will be much, much better. No screaming 12 years olds on the mic!

Good riddance!

And you sound like a fanboy that cant pull his head out of his ass long enough to realize why this (if its true and Rockstar intends to follow through) is bad. Look at any game with microtransactions and youll see that the game is turned into a very depressingly slow grind and the mechanics of the game are designed to force you to either numb yourself to the gameplay or pull out your wallet.

• Kent_Paul_Jnr likes this

RA1DER81
  • RA1DER81

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I live in Edinburgh. I will take cash donations to help buy some pitch forks.......

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

I hope all these morons threatening to sell their game or not play online actually follow through with their threats. They all sound like 'the sky is falling' noobs who believe anything they see on the internet. Online gaming without these peanuts will be much, much better. No screaming 12 years olds on the mic!

Good riddance!

And you sound like a fanboy that cant pull his head out of his ass long enough to realize why this (if its true and Rockstar intends to follow through) is bad. Look at any game with microtransactions and youll see that the game is turned into a very depressingly slow grind and the mechanics of the game are designed to force you to either numb yourself to the gameplay or pull out your wallet.

Then treat it as a pay to play game...and pay £10 a month as you would on any other MMO. Simple.

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Why should people be able to pay for in game rewards? The point of the game is to play it, and earn the rewards.

It reduces the value/rarity of the rewards the same way hackers do.

What difference does it make to me if someone hacked for the best apartment or paid real life cash for it?

There is no difference...they both make my time and effort unlocking it less enjoyable because once I earn it, nobody cares because tons of people have already had it without trying.

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Why should people be able to pay for in game rewards? The point of the game is to play it, and earn the rewards.

It reduces the value/rarity of the rewards the same way hackers do.

What difference does it make to me if someone hacked for the best apartment or paid real life cash for it?

There is no difference...they both make my time and effort unlocking it less enjoyable because once I earn it, nobody cares because tons of people have already had it without trying.

Yet it comes back to this, Why do you CARE what others think about your achievement?

I couldnt care less if you get the apartment before me, anyone who does, needs to get out more.

Moksu
  • Moksu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:09 PM Edited by Moksu, 23 September 2013 - 05:18 PM.

All I can say is this better not be true, if it is then R* has truly sold out.

because running servers are free...

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Personally, I'm a "let's wait and see what happens" kind of guy. I don't see the point in jumping to too many conclusions before Online is even available. From what I've seen and read I definately get the impression that there is still A LOT R* has yet to reveal about the online portion of the game.  Even if some peoples worst fears turn out to be confirmed with this and players will be able to purchase in-game $$ for real $$, it's impossible at this point to determine how it will actually work or what actual affect that $$ may or may not have on the actual online economy. R* made a lot of money on GTA V already, and I'm certain a good deal of that was based on reputation alone. I am sure that they know this much better than I do. I think they are smart enough to not completely trash that reputation by implementing cash-grab  unfair game-breaking monetary systems. But if it turns out I'm totally wrong, vote with your wallet. Don't use the system. If the game turns into pay-to-win and real gamers pull out leaving only brats with mommies credi card access and GTAOL turns into a cesspool hardly anyone is interested in, I'm sure  R* will notice.

• Scar3dGam3r likes this

JunkoWakahisa
  • JunkoWakahisa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:12 PM Edited by JunkoWakahisa, 23 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Good riddance!

Actually that is not true at all ...

I'd say look at World of Warcraft. That game is one continuos long slow grind. And the only thing you can use real money for is for extra pets and mounts,... which can not be obtained in the game. So the grind you speak of has got nothing to do with real money.

A game I play is APB (All Points Bulletin) This game uses micro transactions alot,... to buy guns or cars or get special outfits or just extra xp gain for a while. But that game is far from a long tidious grind. It is actually a lot of fun to play and since there is no ingame resources to grind,... other then robbing people or stores, you wont see much difference between the gameplay and styles.

It is a fun free game you can play now and again. Only if you are hooked on it, addicted, it becomes a long grind. But you will have that with any game. It is not connected to the games individual money system. You can make GTA V a long grind too. The game has been out for only a few days and people already start to complain that when they have finished there is hardly any money to be gotten. Those impatient people is exactly why outgame to ingame money systems exist. To accomendate the unpatient.

But I'll bet you that in 2 years time, people will still be playing this game, that have been playing it from day one. Still robbing and stealing and whatever,... just to get ingame stuff,... grinding.

Grinding is not connected to money transfer systems. Far from it. It has to do with the character and nature of the people playing the game.

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I care what others think of my achievements/unlocks because that is the point of GTA Online...

Wealth accumulation...

ijustcameheretobeeotch
  • ijustcameheretobeeotch

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

because making over a billion dollars in one week isn't enough money...

lazedout
  • lazedout

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

I will ask again in hopes of a response.

does CASH in single player transition over to GTAO?

Moksu
  • Moksu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

no you start with a new character. fresh game from start

lazedout
  • lazedout

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thank you

rocinante89
  • rocinante89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

No. Your GTA online player will be the 4th character on the selection wheel. If money doesn't transfer between your 3 main characters it stands to reason that it won't between your offline and online characters either.

Motherflippers
  • Motherflippers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Awful move if true

BUT

GTAO online will place a phenomenal load on servers that R* won't be used to. They would have been far better making it subscription to cover costs. Don't think there could have been too many arguments with that.

Will give GTAO a stab, but if you need to pay to really succeed, I'll probably stop playing fairly quickly.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Honestly who gives a damn? Just earn your money if you want to. There is no winning! This is online. I could see myself paying for money at least once because I don't have time to play V 24/7. School, life, etc...

Motherflippers
  • Motherflippers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Further to my above post:

One thing that stings about this is that that particular fact has been "hidden" by R* in the promotional build up. If it is true (still a big "if" whatever proof is offered) they should have come clean early.

DocPip
  • DocPip

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

How was it hidden? Many features of Online are still to be announced.

Motherflippers
  • Motherflippers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:46 PM Edited by Motherflippers, 23 September 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Correct some of the features haven't been released yet. In what other situation are people expected to fork out £40-50 without knowing what they're paying for.

Payment for additional features is always unpopular. I used the word "hidden" because it would appear they've chosen not to announce that particular issue due to the negative PR it would receive before the release of the game.

Something like that should have been announced before the release, especially considering many people bought the game for this promised all new GTA MP experience.

It's not fair on the people who bought the game to go "oh btw - to really succeed you'll have to part with some RL cash".

Everything should have been announced before release - that's all I'm saying. It's not fair to do that to people.

Immagraton
  • Immagraton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

It amazes me how much people whine/cry about insignificant issues. They're obviously not going to make it near-impossible to reap the rewards that these cash-packs allow a shortcut to.

"Mommy, mommy, someone paid for virtual money! Mommy, mommy". Aww .. :(

Motherflippers
  • Motherflippers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

It amazes me how much people whine/cry about insignificant issues. They're obviously not going to make it near-impossible to reap the rewards that these cash-packs allow a shortcut to.
"Mommy, mommy, someone paid for virtual money! Mommy, mommy". Aww .. :(

And it amazes me how much you (and others) have spectacularly missed the point.

Not crybaby, not hysteria, it's a genuine issue that deserves debate.

I want to compete with people who have reached the same level of skill at the game or people with the same opportunities as every player. I don't want to play with someone who got to that point by having more real life cash than me.

DocPip
  • DocPip

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Correct some of the features haven't been released yet. In what other situation are people expected to fork out £40-50 without knowing what they're paying for.

Payment for additional features is always unpopular. I used the word "hidden" because it would appear they've chosen not to announce that particular issue due to the negative PR it would receive before the release of the game.

Something like that should have been announced before the release, especially considering many people bought the game for this promised all new GTA MP experience.

It's not fair on the people who bought the game to go "oh btw - to really succeed you'll have to part with some RL cash".

Everything should have been announced before release - that's all I'm saying. It's not fair to do that to people.

Except you don't have to use real money to succeed.

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Exactly, it's about a level starting point. Yes there is satisfaction in earning your rewards, but a big part of that satisfaction is have what others do not.

For instance: if everyone started out with the most expensive apartment, would it be valued/cool to brag about it? Of course not.

So when you allow people to buy enough cash to start out with anything money can buy, it takes away from the enjoyment of earning it.

SamuelBenjamin
  • SamuelBenjamin

Film & Photography Cinematography & VFX LA

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:06 PM Edited by SamuelBenjamin, 23 September 2013 - 06:07 PM.

As the Reddit user said.

"This seems very un-Rockstar-y to me, so I want to believe there are other plausible explanations:

• It's just a test, since it was not supposed to be public. Maybe something used internally?
  • They are redeemable items, not something you buy with real money. Maybe the prizes of some Social Club sweepstakes?"

I'm gonna wait i doubt that it's pay to win.

JubeiDOK
  • JubeiDOK

Westsiiiide!

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:17 PM Edited by JubeiDOK, 23 September 2013 - 06:23 PM.

This thread is making me laugh.

It was said (I don't remember where but I can find it if you really want me to) that any cash YOU KEEP ON YOUR PERSON will drop when you die.  So if someone buys one of these game cards money bullsh*t and keep all the money on them, you are now rich.

Plus what would you need money for?  Weapons?  Sure, but they will be dirt cheap and within a day of Online I'm sure you will have all the weapons, or a good majority at least.  Vehicles?  You can buy or steal them...  So again, money isn't a necessity.  So what do we need money for?  Apartments.  I mean, you guys are getting worked up about rich Casual players who can get apartments faster then you.  APARTMENTS.

This.
I can't believe the amount of sh*t people are blabbing in here.
Paying for money is a choice. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy. In fact I'd have a greater sense of achievement beating folks who may pay real money for extras.

This kind of attitude is so hard to come by now-a-days. I blame Sony and Microsoft thought. Today's gamers don't know how to feel rewarded unless something pops up on screen saying; "You've just been rewarded!!!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users