Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA Online is Pay To Win and Free to Play!

57 replies to this topic
PhilJones
  • PhilJones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

A preview did talk about using in game debit cards to make transactions in the world. Maybe you load these cards with your money and get bonuses for loading them. Plus you have the security of your bank account not being deminished

I hope it's this. I really do.

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Just find out who pays for money then get a crew and rob them.   Simple enough. 

How will you know? it will go straight to bank.

Again wont you be busy trying to get your stats up? or will you be trawling diff game sessions looking for people to hate on? Come on man.

Like tdu had fools adding me begging for cash, get your own, dnt worry about others

MacJoker
  • MacJoker

Raise the Steaks!

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

You know, because people don't have choices to buy this sh*t. Just because R* gives us the option means we HAVE to buy the DLC.

Also, heists and missions don't give you money in GTA: Online.

(This was of course confirmed on Reddit.)

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Quite frankly, no one knows how the in game store is going to be implemented yet outside of R*. Even the poster on reddit isn't certain that is how it's going to work. That post is a concern. Come 1st October, we'll find out. Most of us here have finished the SP game (or mostly have anyway--I'm taking my time on some last side missions, hoping that it eats the time until GTA:O starts.....) and we have nothing better to do that speculate on features and things that might or might not make our experience less than ideal.... So... In the immortal  words of George Carlin, lets "Calm down, have some dip."

BigTimeSpider
  • BigTimeSpider

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hey, if it helps me get money, I'm okay with it.

Magna99
  • Magna99

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Why does this guy keep starting multiple topics to discredit Rockstar and GTA Online before he even knows how the systems will work and without any facts whatsoever? His constant triple posts just to bump his threads are annoying aswell.

It will now be my mission to find this guy in game and make sure he is labelled a bad sport, if I could give him a bad sport rating on these forums, I would and I'm sure most of the people that have seen his threads would also.

• stevean2 likes this

ClingingMArs
  • ClingingMArs

=AoD= Prospect

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Why does this guy keep starting multiple topics to discredit Rockstar and GTA Online before he even knows how the systems will work and without any facts whatsoever? His constant triple posts just to bump his threads are annoying aswell.

It will now be my mission to find this guy in game and make sure he is labelled a bad sport, if I could give him a bad sport rating on these forums, I would and I'm sure most of the people that have seen his threads would also.

You have my axe.

ProGamerGov
  • ProGamerGov

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

Because I have opinions like many other do. And I am not a mindless robot.

TrickishDonkey
  • TrickishDonkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:46 AM Edited by TrickishDonkey, 24 September 2013 - 02:48 AM.

But your are complaining about almost everything. another thing is online is not out yet so we wont know how anything will work till oct 1st

Magna99
  • Magna99

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

And you're entitled to your opinion but don't start 6 threads on a feature you know nothing about, stating your opinion as fact

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hope it's not legit. Rockstar wouldn't be that dumb. The last thing they probably care about right now is money. They're rolling in it. They will be fair to their fan base.

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

so on the social club they show all of the hidden achievements in the game except for one which is secret. i hope it's not something like "purchase in game money with real money" which they would be wanting to keep secret till release day

Morganthaler
  • Morganthaler

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

You have my axe.

And my bow.

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

And you're entitled to your opinion but don't start 6 threads on a feature you know nothing about, stating your opinion as fact

Well said.

Dude is just looking for attention, self validation.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I won't mind paying extra. Tons of people (including me) have poured money into online services such as Habbo Hotel to gain virtual content and still feel like assholes, but hey, we'll still have more money than you.

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't think most people understand why this is a problem.

It's not so much that other players will have an advantage if they pay for currencies (though they most certainly will). When you have a game that has optional micro transactions to get in game currency, the very design to get you to purchase these micro transactions the game is designed in such a way that buying them is preferable to acquiring them through normal methods. So wether or not you purchase these transactions, your in game experience is effected by them.

We see this kind of system in various free to play games like League of Legends. Where you can earn all of the characters in game, but realistically if you want to obtain things at a non masochistic pace you are going to have to make real money purchases. So why is this a problem in GTA? Because this is a pay to play game that raked in $1billion in it's first 3 days! It's a game which had it's singleplay purposefully made limited so it's online mode could be superior, it's economy and everything has been designed a certain way. To introduce such micro transactions when you don't need to and people are paying for the product, is simply put the epitome of everything that is currently wrong with this generation of gaming we are seeing.

Developers should not be putting these kind of things in game. They should not have this kind of thing tolerated by the community, at the expense of good game design and balancing the in game economy so as to not require these transactions. What we will see if we continue to support this behavior, is pay to play games across the board that play with the same limitations as free to play games if we do not purchase these micro transactions. Just because you can earn the currency in game yourself through hard work, doesn't mean that it's acceptable because the games are then designed with these things in mind.

They should be driven to earn future money through worthwhile DLC. And at worst custom skins and thing that you can purchase with real world money. But to have such micro transactions in a pay to play game, is simply horrible for the consumer and does effect you regardless of if you do or do not pay. To come and tell me that GTA needs such micro transactions to survive is simply a lie, the more of you sheep who blindly defend such things the more we end up with companies like EA.

Things aren't as simple as pay to win being the issue. We should expect more from developers than this crap.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't think most people understand why this is a problem.

It's not so much that other players will have an advantage if they pay for currencies (though they most certainly will). When you have a game that has optional micro transactions to get in game currency, the very design to get you to purchase these micro transactions the game is designed in such a way that buying them is preferable to acquiring them through normal methods. So wether or not you purchase these transactions, your in game experience is effected by them.

We see this kind of system in various free to play games like League of Legends. Where you can earn all of the characters in game, but realistically if you want to obtain things at a non masochistic pace you are going to have to make real money purchases. So why is this a problem in GTA? Because this is a pay to play game that raked in $1billion in it's first 3 days! It's a game which had it's singleplay purposefully made limited so it's online mode could be superior, it's economy and everything has been designed a certain way. To introduce such micro transactions when you don't need to and people are paying for the product, is simply put the epitome of everything that is currently wrong with this generation of gaming we are seeing.

Developers should not be putting these kind of things in game. They should not have this kind of thing tolerated by the community, at the expense of good game design and balancing the in game economy so as to not require these transactions. What we will see if we continue to support this behavior, is pay to play games across the board that play with the same limitations as free to play games if we do not purchase these micro transactions. Just because you can earn the currency in game yourself through hard work, doesn't mean that it's acceptable because the games are then designed with these things in mind.

They should be driven to earn future money through worthwhile DLC. And at worst custom skins and thing that you can purchase with real world money. But to have such micro transactions in a pay to play game, is simply horrible for the consumer and does effect you regardless of if you do or do not pay. To come and tell me that GTA needs such micro transactions to survive is simply a lie, the more of you sheep who blindly defend such things the more we end up with companies like EA.

Things aren't as simple as pay to win being the issue. We should expect more from developers than this crap.

Basically this. Well said. I completely agree with you. If they were offering new cars, decals, customization items etc. or full on expansion packs, I wouldn't mind as much. I mean, the whole basis for the online 'story' is that you start off penniless and have to build up your money in Los Santos. Being able to purchase money from the get-go basically makes this pointless. 

IMO if they want to offer extra content like apartments, vehicles, clothing etc. as microtransactions, then I think that's absolutely fine. Just make sure that the player has to earn the money in-game to purchase it first. Something like Test Drive Unlimited 2 would be good - the player buys the vehicle for like £0.79 and this unlocks the car so that it can be bought with in-game money. At least then you have something to work towards! 

henrysdad
  • henrysdad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

the above post is a well thought out and considered viewpoint which raises some valid points. However;

currently we are looking at from the veiwpoint of having purchased GTA 5 and looking to move onto online play. What happens in 6 months time when no-one is buying GTA 5 anymore? does that mean the input of online players is now restricted? probably.

or have R* got a bigger picture in mind and are building a move towards opening the online game up to a DLC for those that dont even own GTA5? if so, how do they get any profit from that? Answer, the same as every other free to play online game, with ingame purchases. Lets remember that R* is hugely succesfull  global business. They do this to make money, not to provide a public service to entertain us.

Personally i see GTAO being opened up to everyone within a year. Those with GTA 5 have had a head start and thats the 'perk' you get for guying the single player copy.

Causton97
  • Causton97

Time Lord

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

the above post is a well thought out and considered viewpoint which raises some valid points. However;

currently we are looking at from the veiwpoint of having purchased GTA 5 and looking to move onto online play. What happens in 6 months time when no-one is buying GTA 5 anymore? does that mean the input of online players is now restricted? probably.

or have R* got a bigger picture in mind and are building a move towards opening the online game up to a DLC for those that dont even own GTA5? if so, how do they get any profit from that? Answer, the same as every other free to play online game, with ingame purchases. Lets remember that R* is hugely succesfull  global business. They do this to make money, not to provide a public service to entertain us.

Personally i see GTAO being opened up to everyone within a year. Those with GTA 5 have had a head start and thats the 'perk' you get for guying the single player copy.

That makes sense. They'll have to keep earning money somehow... seeing as they're almost treating GTA Online as a completely separate game, I'm sure they'll release it separately somewhere down the line. I'd say it's pretty much certain to get a next gen release. 

Like I said though, microtransactions are fine so long as they're mainly cosmetic and if they affect gameplay (like vehicles) they shouldn't unbalance the game. Anyone who played TDU2 will know what I'm talking about when I mention the Bugatti Veyron Supersport! That thing was unbeatable!

So yeah, it makes business sense for GTAO to become a separate game and Rockstar are bound to make a lot of money from it! I just hope they don't leave singleplayer behind in the future... :/ 

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:28 PM Edited by Zupexqt, 24 September 2013 - 12:29 PM.

I think when we take into consideration how much of the initial game is actually online, with 7 times more missions, properties, enter-able shops/heists and a boatload of extras. To say that purchasing 5 and getting online from the get go is just a perk is a little short, everything we are getting is rightfully deserved in my eyes. So any initial dismissals of such micro transactions are quite validated.

As for the progressive future of the game I feel other games have demonstrated it can be handled in a better way than the currency route. Take DotA 2 for example, a game that has beautifully displayed that you can give everyone what they need for free and survive simply on cosmetic and quality of life purchases alone. This leads me to believe that such things as currency for cash in GTA, a game that has far more potential for long term micro transactions is wrong.

-Initial price for those entering without a GTA game to play on, as opposed to free to play. This gives incentive for new comers to buy an existing GTA product, as well as the cheaper alternative for those not interested in the story to get involved.

-Cars for DLC, plenty of players would pay money for special cars if the work was put in to make them worthwhile. Several games have demonstrated this.

-Clothes/hairstyles/decorations for your ingame house. All of these are things players will consistently buy over the years and have zero impact on the actual game and it's economy.

-DLC with new zones and missions. Above all this provides players with quality content for their money and is something that both generates money for the company and substance for the game. All of which keeps people playing longer which over time keeps people buying the previous micro transactions.

There is just so much they can do DLC wise that doesn't impact gameplay that can generate cash flow to keep the company going. So much that to me having any currency purchase is just greed and poor yet intentional game design.

el-cobra
  • el-cobra

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Message to the op get a grip and stop moaning you clown its only a game i see you on hear constantly moaning i dont know if your trolling or just a complete thicko its only a game and how do you pay to win win thiers nothing to win the game basically goes on forever 

goobface
  • goobface

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

People mad as usual, try getting a job lool, this feature is for people that have lives and dont have time to sit all day on the game.

People that can only play 2 hours etc a day or every other day. Not a big deal

Maybe 200,000 or so not 1 mill lol

Thats probably the stupidest reply i've read.

So what if they don't have enough time? That's their problem. Their lack of time to play online shouldn't be reflected in game. You aren't forced to play this game, you don't lose experience or whatever if you don't play this game, your character is simply paused while you go off and do something else

"WAAH WAAH let me fast track because i dont have enough time to play the game!!! IM rich in real life!!!"

Yeah...bit stupid

pringlec
  • pringlec

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Definitely is free to play just found this while looking, hopefully I'm wrong hate free to play

1239450_549002885169454_1768308257_n.jpg

Cavintine
  • Cavintine

Kid's A Hero

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

It's only pay to win if the game contains unobtainable weapons/vehicles without micro-transaction; granted said items are overpowered.

Let's not jump the gun so soon, folks.  

TrickishDonkey
  • TrickishDonkey

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

It's only pay to win if the game contains unobtainable weapons/vehicles without micro-transaction; granted said items are overpowered.

To me is seems every time someone post a little bit of the games code or pretends too. People start go crazy or something. The online is not out yet why can't people wait and see what it will be like.

pringlec
  • pringlec

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

To me is seems every time someone post a little bit of the games code or pretends too. People start go crazy or something. The online is not out yet why can't people wait and see what it will be like.

I have the game files if you want to look yourself to see that it is real.

It has in game cash that is buy-able with real money, that is enough of a reason to be worked up because there will obviously be a model in the game so you need to buy the money of you want to progress faster or progress past a certain point, the same as any other F2P game. 

Fizwalker
  • Fizwalker

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Quite frankly, no one knows how the in game store is going to be implemented yet outside of R*. Even the poster on reddit isn't certain that is how it's going to work. That post is a concern. Come 1st October, we'll find out. Most of us here have finished the SP game (or mostly have anyway--I'm taking my time on some last side missions, hoping that it eats the time until GTA:O starts.....) and we have nothing better to do that speculate on features and things that might or might not make our experience less than ideal.... So... In the immortal  words of George Carlin, lets "Calm down, have some dip."

Unless R* has posted something regarding this, that I haven't seen.....?

Cavintine
  • Cavintine

Kid's A Hero

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have the game files if you want to look yourself to see that it is real.

It has in game cash that is buy-able with real money, that is enough of a reason to be worked up because there will obviously be a model in the game so you need to buy the money of you want to progress faster or progress past a certain point, the same as any other F2P game. 

It's not reason enough to be worked up since we have no idea how easily money can be farmed in comparison to dropping real cash in-game. This model isn't "obvious" since we have nothing to go by but fairly vague coding. Even if using real money will make you progress through the ranks faster, we still have no idea by how much. For all we know, we could possibly cap out on all available weapons and estates in a solid week's worth of grinding.

Again, people are jumping to conclusions.

• tre288 and Fizwalker like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users