Aircraft handling in GTA V is bad

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic
Skellyhell
  • Skellyhell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

i love the flying. people will complain over anything.
turbulance is a nice touch, if anything its too mild.

wind and light aircraft arent fun in real life, and very few people will have flown a plane or a helicopter in various conditions to comment properly

seanforever
  • seanforever

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

I found planes to handle joyously. The helicopter on the other hand has to be glitched.. It sways from left to right almost uncontrollably. 

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

I think planes handle fine, though ive yet to try jets, it doesn't look good for them from what I've seen. Helicopters on the other hand.. Wtf have they done?! Catered for babies again it looks like.. The limiter that pushes you back and doesn't enable you to tilt them as much as you like is so annoying and has serious effect on the way you fly, but only if you had skill at doing it in IV, or any other game or hell in real life. IV was spot on, now we have saints row driving as well as helicopters. Dear me.

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

wind and light aircraft arent fun in real life, and very few people will have flown a plane or a helicopter in various conditions to comment properly

I'm one of those very few people and I say the helicopters fly like utter sh*t, possibly the worst I've ever seen in a game.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm one of those very few people and I say the helicopters fly like utter sh*t, possibly the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Actually, I can swear that GTA VC also has very wobbly helicopters also (probably worse than GTA V).  I can remember the news helicopter in that game being quite poor.

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:26 PM Edited by SesameStPimp, 24 September 2013 - 10:28 PM.

Actually, I can swear that GTA VC also has very wobbly helicopters also (probably worse than GTA V).  I can remember the news helicopter in that game being quite poor.
I remember them being pretty bad as well, but I dont think they had that fake turbulence sh*t that these do.

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have a lot of issues with the game I am not shy to argue against, the flying isn't one of them. The only real issue I have is the speed being so limited to make the map feel bigger.

But has been fun overcoming the slight wobble to pull of really cool knife points through thin gaps and upside down bridge passes :) Made it a habit of getting as good as I can at landing on anything with the helicopter so when online hits I can pull off some shenanigans.

One thing they do need to change are fixed camera angles, don't know if there is a setting to change that or not.

StarFyer
  • StarFyer

Whatever Man

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have no problem flying planes, but the helicopters can be a bit tricky.

• malcolmfunktion likes this

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

I really like the planes, but the helicopters are a bitch to handle :( They're too sensitive

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:38 PM Edited by Distrom, 24 September 2013 - 10:43 PM.

I really have felt absolutely no problems with the flying at all. I feel anyone who complains about something being bad usually always sucks at what they are trying to do. You have to remember this isn't GTA:SA anymore, planes don't just fly in straight lines with weird and unrealistic handling. What we have now fits the feel of the rest of the game, and I'd rather have a consistent feel throughout the game than a feel which changes from vehicle to vehicle.

Indeed, this is not GTA:SA anymore, this is worse. You can't do this sh*t on GTA:SA:

ijy1l944mgr95.gif

You can take your time, drive throught the tarmac and accelerate at full speed throught the whole runway before taking off. I'm an aviation enthusiast so I do this when I take off.

And about the whole screen going upside down when you turn, well, I love it. It's like in Ace Combat wich is IMO, one of the best video game series ever made.

topdownshooter
  • topdownshooter

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

I can fly planes like a boss. You guys just suck at the game.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I will also say that the camera for fixed-wing aircraft kind of weird.  As a GTA veteran, GTA SA's camera felt much more natural in this case.  I'm not an Ace Combat veteran, so it's not something I'm used to.  Furthermore, I don't like how you can barely tilt your helicopter that much.  I just want to nosedive a helicopter into a sedan sometimes.

Startug
  • Startug

No Custom Title Here...

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

For me, I was a little unused to the plane wobbling around at first. As time went on, I've just had to get used to it. I did get all gold in flight school as Michael, but not with the helicopters. For now, I'm just gonna sit those ones out unless they are necessary for 100% later down the road. 

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:06 PM Edited by Chukkles, 24 September 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Has anyone tried to land without landing gear yet?
I hope it doesn't just blow up on contact.

l1l2l3l4l5l
  • l1l2l3l4l5l

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Jesus, I'm saying flying is hard. It's easy it's just frustrating. The dynamic camera doesn't help either. 

It's almost impossible to use the cannon the P-996 accurately since the rudders slam the plane instead of smoothly yawing. 

The pseudo turbulence needs to go or whatever Rockstar or you want to call it. 

l1l2l3l4l5l
  • l1l2l3l4l5l

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I will also say that the camera for fixed-wing aircraft kind of weird.  As a GTA veteran, GTA SA's camera felt much more natural in this case.  I'm not an Ace Combat veteran, so it's not something I'm used to.  Furthermore, I don't like how you can barely tilt your helicopter that much.  I just want to nosedive a helicopter into a sedan sometimes.

This

What is up with the dynamic camera and auto leveling on helicopters..

Markowins
  • Markowins

Troll

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Level up your flying you assholes. 

Big difference between flying levels. 

If you dont notice a difference then you're an idiot.

did you really just quote yourself?

lizlemon
  • lizlemon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:15 AM Edited by lizlemon, 25 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.

I think planes handle fine, though ive yet to try jets, it doesn't look good for them from what I've seen. Helicopters on the other hand.. Wtf have they done?! Catered for babies again it looks like.. The limiter that pushes you back and doesn't enable you to tilt them as much as you like is so annoying and has serious effect on the way you fly, but only if you had skill at doing it in IV, or any other game or hell in real life. IV was spot on, now we have saints row driving as well as helicopters. Dear me.

THIS

You can't get anywhere near the angle you could in 4. I guess they did this to make it harder to crash since its pretty much impossible to lose control now.. 

I'd guess that the turbulence was added to make flying a bit harder to compensate for the dumbed down controls. But that stuff is just annoying. Aircraft don't side slip and dutch roll because of a bit of turbulence. 

Make the turbulence only appear during bad weather and high alts and fix the heli controls and its perfect.

NotYourAverageDrPhil
  • NotYourAverageDrPhil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

Jesus, I'm saying flying is hard.

Yeah, but that's the thing: Many of us disagree with you there! We think it's actually quite easy!

Splinter02
  • Splinter02

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Has anyone tried to land without landing gear yet?
I hope it doesn't just blow up on contact.

You can land without the gear out but you won't be able to take back off

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

I love the overall handling but I think the constant turbulence is to much, I am not saying turbulence should be cut, but at max flying skill the majority of your flight should be "smooth flight", with some small bumps of turbulence every now and then (not every 3-5 seconds thats wayyyy to common).

The exception should of course be when the weather is bad, in which case the turbulence could be even more severe then it currently is in bad weather.

I don't have as much issues with the turbulence in planes, but in helicopters its just to much, flying dosnt feel comfortable, it has a negative impact on my overall enjoyment while flying, and that is counter productive for a game.

That said, I am actually very capable when it comes to flying, any tunnel etc that chopper can possibly fit into I can fly trough at near max speeds without problems.

Quite honestly the amount of turbulence in the game now (for helicopters) almost makes me "seasick" if I fly for long durations of time.

The biggest sinner is the cargobob which is horrible, Havn't really read up much on tandem helicopters but I  would assume the extra properlor gave it extra stability, not to mention it would require more overall stability to lift large objects which is can.

l1l2l3l4l5l
  • l1l2l3l4l5l

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

bump

VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

CLASSIC CONTROLS AND BIGGER GARAGES EVEN TREVOR ( HIGHER FLYING ABILITY ) STRUGGLES TO KEEP PLANES IN THE AIR THEY JUST SHAKE AND YAW AND TRY TO FALL FROM THE SKY AND CRASH.BUT THE WORST IS THE CAMERA LOOPING WITH THE PLANE. COME ON THIS IS NOT ACE COMBAT IT MAKES YOU SICK. AND NO WHEELIES WITH BIKES OR QUADS. NO TRAINS, NO PARAMEDIC , NO FIREMEN AND  NO LORRY MISSIONS. APART FROM THAT IT´S JUST PERFECT AND MASSIVE FUN.BUT COPS ARE TOO SMART

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:25 PM Edited by Munx, 26 September 2013 - 02:27 PM.

CLASSIC CONTROLS AND BIGGER GARAGES EVEN TREVOR ( HIGHER FLYING ABILITY ) STRUGGLES TO KEEP PLANES IN THE AIR THEY JUST SHAKE AND YAW AND TRY TO FALL FROM THE SKY AND CRASH.BUT THE WORST IS THE CAMERA LOOPING WITH THE PLANE. COME ON THIS IS NOT ACE COMBAT IT MAKES YOU SICK. AND NO WHEELIES WITH BIKES OR QUADS. NO TRAINS, NO PARAMEDIC , NO FIREMEN AND  NO LORRY MISSIONS. APART FROM THAT IT´S JUST PERFECT AND MASSIVE FUN.BUT COPS ARE TOO SMART

Wheelies are easy, its just not a one button manuver like in previous gta's. Think about how you would go about performing a wheelie in real life, would you simply tilt you bike backward? OR would you tilt forward before tilting backward?

I can easily wheelie across the entire airfield on just about any motorcycle or cycle.

Then again considering you need full caps to read your own text, I imagine you are as blind as a bat, this is further supported by the fact that you whine about no trains, paramedics or firemen.

LadyFondou
  • LadyFondou

High-Life

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Level up your flying you assholes. 

Big difference between flying levels. 

If you dont notice a difference then you're an idiot.

Not really. I have Michael and Trevor at 100/100 and the aircraft still bump around like they're in a mountain air-stream. 

Parkour Lewis
  • Parkour Lewis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

"Turbulence" is the wrong word.  That is not turbulence unless you're flying inside a tornado.  I loved flying in GTA:SA and GTA IV and was looking forward to it in GTA V, but my god, was it horribly implemented.  I hope the MP never requires any flying because if it does, I'm out.

AlmightyHabbib
  • AlmightyHabbib

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

T4R

Both airplanes and helicopters handle like trash. Why do the airplanes twitch on their own? Even with 100/100 flying level. In real life, you can leave an airplanes yoke alone for minutes at a time and it will keep steady. Realism aside, if Rockstar was trying this, WHY? We're using gamepads not flight simulator setups. As for turbulence, it rarely happens at low altitudes. The rudders slam the aircraft making precise movements impossible since the bumpers are just clicks. Everything is way to twitchy.

As for helicopters, they are near impossible to be steady without using all of your limbs at once to control but once again, we're using gamepads not flight simulator setups. GTA IV's helicopter control was perfect. The auto-leveling is also extremely annoying. 

This is easily fixable by just tweaking a few numbers in a .dat file but knowing Rockstar, we're going to have to wait until it comes out for PC and someone makes a handling mod. 

TL;DR - The aircraft handling in this game is worse than Just Cause 2 and that's saying something 

Without the auto-pilot I think you would find it quite hard to keep the yoke alone and fly completely level, even on a clear day.

WitchHunter Neo
  • WitchHunter Neo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

I will admit that I found flight initially "twitchy". It took me some time to feel, at the very least, comfortable.

In the end I found flying to be rather fun, albeit with the turbulance and controls. It seemed to me that Rockstar did not want to make it overly easy.

I mean, let's face it, Frank and the boys are hardly Top Guns.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Love flying both planes and helicopters, and think the controls themselves are spot on, but the "turbulence" is to much, not because it makes it difficult, but because it has a tendency to make flying TEDIOUS, and more importantly NAUSEATING if you are flying in "first person".

I am perfectly fine with some wobbles now and then, and would even welcome considerably more "turbulence" during rain etc, but having the "turbulence" hit every 1-5 seconds is WAY to much, I have never in my life seen a game mechanic that makes me feel physically ill before, but due to the never ending turbulence in gta v flying in helicopter eventually does just that.

NijenhuisR
  • NijenhuisR

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I do not agree. I like it. And why care amyways? Im so happy we are able to fly a plane

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users