Photo

Video output misery

3 replies to this topic
AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone,

Just to make it clear, it's about GTA IV.

I'm having some trouble with video output on my Playstation 3. I bought the console back in 2009, and everything worked perfectly, but one day, while we were cleaning the house, my brother accidentally pulled the HDMI cable and ripped it in two parts. So, we bought a new HDMI cable (which was a lot cheaper) and since then, the video output sucks - the resolution is bad, car and object edges are pixel-ish and also while going fast in a car, the game lags a bit.

I'm guessing that HDMI cable is bad, because it was cheap, but here (http://reviews.cnet....e-buying-guide/) they say the price doesn't matter and that all HDMI cables are same and output the same audio and video quality. That cheered me up a bit and I thought I could solve this without getting an expensive HDMI cable, so I started looking for fix on internet. 

Somewhere in V forums, I read that people have same problem with GTA V, and they say downscaling the output resolution from 1080p to 720p should fix it. So I tried it, but it didn't work. Tried it with 1080i, too, and it downscales to 720p ingame itself, but still nothing.

What else can I do? Any suggestions?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Does this just happen with IV or is it a general issue with all games? The biggest problem with cheap HDMI cables is that they tend to have poor shielding around them so you can get interference from other cables in the same vicinity, particularly higher voltage power cables. I can't remember the exact method of action but it's an issue I've seen myself with cheaper cables. Decent ones tend to have large cylindrical ferrite blocks at either end which act to prevent induced or radio frequency interference. Maybe borrow a better cable from a mate and see if you still have the same issue? If not you still may not need to buy a new HDMI lead- you could probably just make sure you separate the HDMI cable from other cables as much as possible.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:19 AM Edited by AB0333, 24 September 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Well, I just started up Midnight Club: Los Angeles, and yes, the issue is still there. It's not only IV.

My cable doesn't have the shieldings you mentioned, I can't see any. About other cables, yes, there are a lots of other them around it - modem, wi-fi, telephone, the place is full of cables, so that's the problem, most probably. 

Well, I'll try bringing the other TV, and connecting PS3 to it, away from other cables. The situation is a bit complicated, the other TV is in the other house and it's currently in the use, so I'll have to wait a month or two, then I'll bring it here and try it.

Anyways, thank you a lot, you gave me lots of worthy information.

Cheers bro :)

EDIT: Uh, one more thing. If I decide to buy a new cable, which brand do you suggest me? Digitus? SBOX?

EDIT 2: Thank you.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

I've got this stuff from my PC to my monitor. It's pretty darn good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users