Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA 5 - Too much influence from other R* games?

22 replies to this topic
manlet
  • manlet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

Is GTA having an identity crisis?

I really dislike how GTA feels like a mix of Max Payne (2012) and Red Dead Redemption... it should have it's own distinct feel and style but instead it heavily leans on previous R* games, which in my opinion, is sad.

Older GTA games (SA, VC, etc) felt like their own games with their own unique styles which GTA 5 lacks. If you played Max Payne you already knows what the controls in GTA 5 feel like. The menu's, color's, art style all also share similarities.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Is this something that can be improved for GTA 6?

• Duxfever likes this

Smitty_G
  • Smitty_G

Packie McQueery

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

in a preview i think it was ign they said gta v is like a 'best of" in terms of mechanics and all that, but hey if it works, why fight it, and also if it aint broke, dont fix it. that being said i love the new mechanics, but i wish the ragdolls werent so slidey and more dynamic like gta iv

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

In my opinion they used everything from previous games that they improved upon since IV and improved it a little bit more here and it works really well. It's a good thing. It's all about the engine improvements. They've been using it in each game and improving it. It still feels like GTA to me. But each GTA has it's own distinct atmosphere. Same goes for this one.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

I really dislike how GTA feels like a mix of Max Payne (2012) and Red Dead Redemption... it should have it's own distinct feel and style but instead it heavily leans on previous R* games, which in my opinion, is sad.

Older GTA games (SA, VC, etc) felt like their own games with their own unique styles which GTA 5 lacks. If you played Max Payne you already knows what the controls in GTA 5 feel like. The menu's, color's, art style all also share similarities.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Is this something that can be improved for GTA 6?

Grand Theft Auto always had bad combat control. With them adding Max Payne 3 combat system there is a HUGE improvement. Compare IV combat system to V's. You will see the huge improvement. 

I will say GTA is losing its GTA ways. The old era GTA games had a unique feel to them. ( Maybe the same as what you're trying to say ). I think the problem is they're trying to hard to make things realistic and forgot what GTA was all about. I enjoy V and like it way more then IV but I can't really say it beats SA for me. 

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

In  my opinion they didn't took much from other games. If they did, they took the worst parts!

- The shooting and moving mechanics in MP3 are awesome - they suck in GTA V

- The weight of the vehicles in IV was good - In V it sucks (and yeah, IVs handling was awkward sometimes too)

- Users said that the driving in MCLA was cool - in V it isn't (haven't played midnight club on my own)

- RDR is a great game. You could kill witnesses so you won't get reported to the police and you could wear a bandana to hide your face - nothing like that works in V

The story in V is cool (till now, have played only about 30%) so far. But beside that the game is underwhelming.

• TabooV2 likes this

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

You gotta get used to it, rockstar games iterate upon the series alone and the overall technology. They feel there is a right way and a wrong way to do thing, you will see wrong ways be discovered and changed all the time, you will see right ways go title to title. Some stuff left out, some added, but for the most part, GTA will always bring out the best of their code base, and the other games will have their own legs on the way between GTA's. 

It's a way to interpret what we see/history. It's been like this a long time, manhunt executions in san andreas for example.

ZombCreations
  • ZombCreations

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Ive never played max payne 3 so it doesn't bother me.

flyboy7
  • flyboy7

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Duhhh!!! The other games served as technology testbed for Gta V. Gta v is a culmination of lessons learned from other games.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sad how no one remembers GTA VCS. Was the first game to buy business buildings.

Lone_Spirit
  • Lone_Spirit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

In  my opinion they didn't took much from other games. If they did, they took the worst parts!

- The weight of the vehicles in IV was good - In V it sucks (and yeah, IVs handling was awkward sometimes too)

- Users said that the driving in MCLA was cool - in V it isn't (haven't played midnight club on my own)

- RDR is a great game. You could kill witnesses so you won't get reported to the police and you could wear a bandana to hide your face - nothing like that works in V

The story in V is cool (till now, have played only about 30%) so far. But beside that the game is underwhelming.

The shooting mechanics suck?  What it's smooth beyond belief,  "hipfiring"  is a dream and jumping in and out of cover is even faster than in MP3. What's the problem exactly? You're one of the VERY few to complain and I'm rather curious what gave you this opinion. 

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yeah because GTA Vice City was so original. VC was the exact same as GTAIII when it comes to controls and HUD. There was nothing new or unique about it. They recolored the text to pink and blue, changed the menu background, and added a map. That's it. San Andreas took a tiny bit bigger step away from this, but still largely the same thing.

In RDR, if you killed a witness then another witness would pop up. And then another. And then another. I played the game, it's f*cking retarded.

cheetah_7
  • cheetah_7

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think it still feels like its own game. They've just taken a few things from RDR, MP3, etc to help improve the game. Its not like when Activision makes a James Bond game, and its a complete clone of CoD. 

And besides, GTA IV was the first game in this generation to use the engine, so if anything, RDR is copying GTA, not the other way around! To me, RDR felt like GTA on horses haha

xoC18H21NO3xo
  • xoC18H21NO3xo

GTA Addict

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

I agree with the OP, the shooting mechanics absolutely suck. I can't stand that R1 cover crap, it's so boring and tedious. I've tweaked and re-tweaked, but can still manage not to blow a guy's head off even if he's in front of me and I aim for his head. I miss gta iv's shooting system, I could of taken out all the enemies in seconds.

Hardcore1982
  • Hardcore1982

Dirty Harry

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Sad how no one remembers GTA VCS. Was the first game to buy business buildings.

It wasn't. You could do that in Vice City, Vice City Stories changed the formula which was already there.

Mukaparska
  • Mukaparska

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

I kinda agree. I hate the weapon system from RDR. You can have like 30 weapons with you all the time, and never lose them. And shooting was also better in GTA IV. 

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

The shooting mechanics suck?  What it's smooth beyond belief,  "hipfiring"  is a dream and jumping in and out of cover is even faster than in MP3. What's the problem exactly? You're one of the VERY few to complain and I'm rather curious what gave you this opinion. 

Well it's not the shooting itself. It's the movements while shooting somehow. I cannot explain it, but Max Payne is faster and way more fluid if you aske me. Going into cover is NOT faster in GTAV - I've compared it yesterday. 

Another example - once I was driving (in a mission) and flipped my car (Trevors Jeep) while we were under fire. One guy was sitting in the back of the Jeep - till I crashed it. He was slowly walking to the vehicle while we were still under fire. Climbing into it took ages… pah, I just hate nearly every aspect of the games AI and physics to be honest. I enjoy the story and the world but physics and AI is rubbish.

Snapabowl
  • Snapabowl

Errl User

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:35 AM Edited by Snapabowl, 29 September 2013 - 06:47 AM.

I kinda agree. I hate the weapon system from RDR. You can have like 30 weapons with you all the time, and never lose them. And shooting was also better in GTA IV. 

You've never played any other Grand theft Auto game either.

Or Skyrim.

Or any role playing game on the planet I'd have to assume with a statement like that.

EDIT:  I take it back, I suppose you could have played those games, you just must not like that about ANY game.  Let's not forget sometimes things like that just have to happen for games like GTA or Red Dead to be made.  Oh I need to Snipe?  Better head back to my house across the map to get my sniper rifle.  Would you enjoy this?

Jameson312
  • Jameson312

Founder and Lead Curler: LS Curling Association

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:43 AM Edited by Jameson312, 29 September 2013 - 06:43 AM.

The aiming in V is not as good as MP3. It's hard for me to explain it, but I saw some video about it. The best way I could describe it would be to say it's not as functional.

I tend to think that they didn't borrow enough from their other games. Including previous GTA's...

ThaiBrawler
  • ThaiBrawler

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

I could easily never play IV anymore.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Are we forgetting the stealth mechanic used in SA is pretty much from Manhunt? GTA III and VC didn't have that much influence from other R* products because there wasn't many to take anything from. They were still perfecting the 3D GTAs. SA is when we started to see the influence from their other games.

Yeah parts of GTA V feel like mashes of RDR, MP3 and even MC:LA, but it still feels like its own game for the most part.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

Johanna Marston

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

in a preview i think it was ign they said gta v is like a 'best of" in terms of mechanics and all that, but hey if it works, why fight it, and also if it aint broke, dont fix it. that being said i love the new mechanics, but i wish the ragdolls werent so slidey and more dynamic like gta iv

More dynamic? f*ck YOU, BIG EYED PRICK!

GTA V's ANIMATIONS AND EUPHORIA PHYSICS are much much much dynamic than GTA 4's!

Can't you tell the difference between DYNAMIC and EXAGGERATED?

Oh, I forgot! You're acting like someone from the 'hood! Pretending you've been so deep in it, you didn't even go to school. OR you're from Somalia?

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

Johanna Marston

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Are we forgetting the stealth mechanic used in SA is pretty much from Manhunt? GTA III and VC didn't have that much influence from other R* products because there wasn't many to take anything from. They were still perfecting the 3D GTAs. SA is when we started to see the influence from their other games.

Yeah parts of GTA V feel like mashes of RDR, MP3 and even MC:LA, but it still feels like its own game for the most part.

Also, the first time I've played the game, the driving didn't even feel ARCADY like what some money-chasing whiners say.

It wasn't very exaggerated - like IV. Some cars like the sedans almost feel like IV, but they're faster than the ones in IV and they don't seem to wiggle about, JUST LIKE REAL LIFE.

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

More dynamic? f*ck YOU, BIG EYED PRICK!

GTA V's ANIMATIONS AND EUPHORIA PHYSICS are much much much dynamic than GTA 4's!

Can't you tell the difference between DYNAMIC and EXAGGERATED?

Oh, I forgot! You're acting like someone from the 'hood! Pretending you've been so deep in it, you didn't even go to school. OR you're from Somalia?

tumblr_m713nyNOdM1qgw01go1_500.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users