I don't know how people say IV had better driving

109 replies to this topic
Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

V seems kind of slow to me, it lacks that breakaway speed, for what ever reason. Might be the blur effect, I dunno.

The video and thread link that I posted above, the guy was trying to say IV was better. Around the first corner, the floppy car is not going more than 20 mph. Seriously, if I saw a car flopping around or sliding like that at 20 mph, I would freak out.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

Trippy Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 AM Edited by Dylricho, 23 September 2013 - 02:17 AM.

GTA IV

• Feels like you're controlling a boat on wheels.
  • That video above makes it look even worse.

GTA V

• Body rolling feels much more realistic.
  • Steering seems too urgent - no actual wheel movement, but the car skids over to another lane, for example.

And GTA V driving may seem slow because the map is so large. IV's map was tiny.

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

Nice bullets, I like it. In that video, the guy was trying to say IV was better.

I do agree with the above post that V is a little bizarre, especially at first, but after an hour two it really came alive for me. Off road is still kind of fruity, but still can be a lot of fun.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:26 AM Edited by jamieleng, 23 September 2013 - 02:28 AM.

Someone posted this video earlier today.

If I saw a car swinging around like the one at the beginning, I would be like WTF. I would flip out. That cars is doing 20 or 30 mph. Look at the parking lot lines for reference. Imagine walking outside a grocery store and seeing a car flopping around like that. Apparently people think it is more realistic.

Here is the thread they posted it in, thread really never took off.    http://gtaforums.com...s-oh-god-again/

Why on earth is the person driving the IV version like he's drunk? He is purposely moving the stick left & right, which makes it look silly. Also, this is an old car & old American cars had sponge cake for suspension. The second comparison, the car has stiffer suspension because it's newer & sportier & look a lot closer.

I'd like to see a proper comparison, between old & new Infernus. With someone who can drive well. Also, there is no inertia when you do J-turns & you reverse slower. So, in V you almost come to a stop when you do a 180. In IV, you would swing round & the inertia would allow you to do it without losing momentum. I wish I could capture a decent video of myself doing different manoeuvres in both games.

just-a-spaz
  • just-a-spaz

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

Just imagine driving those bloody boat cars over the hills of San Andreas? It would be a nightmare. They did what they had to do in V to make it fit the environment and the fast paced, fun nature of the game. I'm starting to think that the handling in IV was only that way because of how tiny the map is, it makes it feel bigger if the cars are slow and if you have to come to a near stop at every junction. Again - yes it is realistic, but that doesn't make it better. 

V is perfect for car handling. The bikes are terrible though, better than IV (which was a real mess for bikes) but so much worse than TLAD which was perfect. 

I was thinking the same thing!

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

In the thread that the guy posted, he had this video. The corvettes bumper hits the ground going 40 mph

I posted this as a response

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

Trippy Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Nice bullets, I like it. In that video, the guy was trying to say IV was better.

I do agree with the above post that V is a little bizarre, especially at first, but after an hour two it really came alive for me. Off road is still kind of fruity, but still can be a lot of fun.

The video may be saying IV is better, but from my point of view, watching, IV looks awful. It's like the road is an invisible sea.

• Udrift likes this

scrublord
  • scrublord

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:18 AM Edited by Lagful, 23 September 2013 - 03:19 AM.

I just hate all the bikes and motorcycles. The handling is so sensitive, even when you barely push the joystick. I've only skipped one mission in this game and it was the one where you had to race on a bike down Mt. Chiliad. I'd barely move the joystick and Frank would go flying off the cliff.

SavageSalad
  • SavageSalad

#nojetpack

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

In this thread: Kids who have never driven a real car.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

Trippy Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:40 AM Edited by Dylricho, 23 September 2013 - 03:43 AM.

In this thread: Kids who have never driven a real car.

Does a box van count?

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

Driving in IV was far better, V is closer to saints row Arcade driving. 

dustin619
  • dustin619

Ancient Lurker

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

V is much better in the handling department. I stopped playing IV because it was too boat like and unrealistic 

Damage on the other hand is a trade off

IV huge visual damage but car only stopped working after engine was damage. If wheel got jammed you could still do a decent speed

V Less visual damage but more realistic, Body parts can come off including wheels. 

ex. In V Driving my Comet full speed and a bus pulled out. I hit the front passenger side and ripped the fender and wheel completely off disabling my car. In IV I would of just drove off with a deformed front end. 

V can have deformation but it takes a huge impact

ex. By Trevor's house I parked the Journey on the train tracks. There was very little that was recognisable after the train had its way.  

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

Someone posted this video earlier today.

If I saw a car swinging around like the one at the beginning, I would be like WTF. I would flip out. That cars is doing 20 or 30 mph. Look at the parking lot lines for reference. Imagine walking outside a grocery store and seeing a car flopping around like that. Apparently people think it is more realistic.

Here is the thread they posted it in, thread really never took off.    http://gtaforums.com...s-oh-god-again/

That video ironically proves how fake V's physics are, of course a crappy 80's car is gonna bob up and down like that.

BioVirus
  • BioVirus

The Godfather

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

I hated IV's driving.   It felt like you were carrying 10 tons of metal in the trunk and it would slip and slide everywhere.

V is great.  Every car is different and has different handling.  Some cars in V do act like the cars in IV, too.   The driving is fun and still realistic.

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

This thread is the truth and nothing but it. How can people honestly say IV's slippery ice driving is better than V's?

Because you can climb a vertical cliff with a bycicle, do you think that's fun?

Some gif examples...

ixDWLSgZGYKaU.gif

ijy1l944mgr95.gif

wx8.gif

gta-v-driving-2.gif

HHAHAHA this !

The driving in V is good for missions, getting to a to b without thinking and without having to work to drive, in other words, for kids.

Now IV was for the normal real gamers, more realistic, more fun, more complimenting the great physics engine.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

V is great.  Every car is different and has different handling.

This is a blatant lie and you know it. Every car handles exactly the same.

V's physics are just bad. There's no suspension dynamics, every car has ridiculous amounts of grip, whenever you manage to actually slide (basically impossible unless you're driving like a drunken idiot) the cars auto-correct themselves, the overall feel is utterly detached from the road, there's no skill involved, and you can do incredbly dumb stuff like flip your car over and move it in mid-air. There's no body-roll either--yes, IV had a little too much (nowhere near that "boat" lie that every IV-hater loves to circlejerk about, though), but V has goddamn nothing.

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

OP go play midnight club LA

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

I don't see why people are complaining. It's fine, you must be too stubborn to get used to it.

BioVirus
  • BioVirus

The Godfather

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I like how people are posting GIF's of the Super cars and the Sports cars.

You guys know those are the best cars in the game, with the best handling and speed and overall stats?

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

Trippy Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

wx8.gif

A perfect example of the poor steering. Little wheel movement = car travelling to other side of the road. Realistic, not.

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

That video ironically proves how fake V's physics are, of course a crappy 80's car is gonna bob up and down like that.

Yikes. I've never seen a cars bumper hit the ground from turning. Especially not at 30 mph and especially not a corvette. You are right that vintage cars to sway a little bit more. Please try to find me a video of a cars bumper hitting the ground, because in that video it was happening at TEN mph.

FIFTY mph? Still no. Looks like V.

• Dylricho likes this

Garganda
  • Garganda

Cockslapper

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Watching gameplay videos, I was very scared about the driving. It looked horrible and completely unrealistic! I loved GTA IV's driving and was very disappointed to see that it had changed to something much worse

BUT....

Upon playing the game the moment I stepped in a car I loved it. I enjoy it much more than GTA IV's driving system. Cars feel much better and it feels so beautiful to smoothly drift around a corner without sliding all over the place. The only complaint I do have though is hitting other vehicles. It feels like you just bounce off and do no damage

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

Yikes. I've never seen a cars bumper hit the ground from turning. Especially not at 30 mph and especially not a corvette. You are right that vintage cars to sway a little bit more. Please try to find me a video of a cars bumper hitting the ground, because in that video it was happening at TEN mph.

FIFTY mph? Still no. Looks like V.

I'm not saying IV's physics were perfect, but V getting rid of even the slightest hint of body roll was a really baffling decision.

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

I'm not saying IV's physics were perfect, but V getting rid of even the slightest hint of body roll was a really baffling decision.

I agree. I've posted that I wouldn't mind if they added a bit. Main thing for me was spinning out going 30mph in a front wheel drive car. Even 50mph hour. Not the fact that I was always spinning out, the fact that it was possible. I've tried pulling my ebrake in real life going 30. Nothing happens. A 1 foot skid.

Unlike the guy above, I didn't care too much for the driving in V at first, but it grew on me a bit. It is definitely usable. The motorcycles and offroad is still a step back. I though GTA:SA motorcycles were amazing fun. Oh well, I'm still gonna play V for years. Probably do some mods on the PC, just like with SA.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

After playing GTA V for about a week the driving has grown on me. A lot of the normal/everday cars aren't that far off what was in GTA IV really.

StarVisitor
  • StarVisitor

GTA #1 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Everybody who complains about the driving is a troll, period. 

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Why on earth is the person driving the IV version like he's drunk? He is purposely moving the stick left & right, which makes it look silly. 

In just the first car he made 7 movements in IV, while he only did 5 in V.

Here's something else, look at both a slalom and  a J-turn in real life.  Notice the tire squeal?  GTA IV has it, GTA V is severely lacking.

alb-mac
  • alb-mac

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Even if the driving is different, I don't see how you "real" "gamers" cannot grow up and get used to it. Driving in V, I have done some crazy sh*t...my cars slip, they slide, they do rolls, everything that I missed doing from SA (especially in the hills/mountains). Don't get me wrong, I never minded IVs driving. I don't think theres a huge difference and like someone said above, you're all trolls 

MadMoney
  • MadMoney

The accountant

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Really, now?  I don't like V's driving at all.  I'm hardly a troll.  You do realize people have the right to an opinion, don't you?  I'm a driving enthusiast in the real world, and I find IV's driving imitates the sense of speed and weight of real cars more authentically.

StarVisitor
  • StarVisitor

GTA #1 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Really, now?  I don't like V's driving at all.  I'm hardly a troll.  You do realize people have the right to an opinion, don't you?  I'm a driving enthusiast in the real world, and I find IV's driving imitates the sense of speed and weight of real cars more authentically.

Then get Forza or better yet, go drive in real life and stop bitching.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users