Photo

I don't know how people say IV had better driving

109 replies to this topic
woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

I out in IV to compare and after playing V I just couldn't go back. There is no speed at all in IV. I tried to do the weaving in and out of traffic thing in IV and I just kept sliding all over the place and bumping into cars. I don't care if it is too arcade or dumbed down because it is much more fun. As soon as I got the second mission with Franklin and lamar I knew people were talking out of their ass with the driving complaints. There is a sense of speed in this in this game that was not there in IV.

• alb-mac, mdgrncw, GTAboob and 1 other like this

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

This thread is the truth and nothing but it. How can people honestly say IV's slippery ice driving is better than V's?

• swagbucks likes this

ScottMU
  • ScottMU

Burger Shot Employee of the Month

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Speed is only one thing...

I personally prefer GTA IV's driving because it was a challenge to me, I cannot say how realistic they are as I do not drive, and if I did I wouldn't be driving at 150+ Mph down busy city streets lol.

I am not a great driver on GTA games but on GTA V I rarely crash and it has lost all sense of challenge for me, In IV I had to really concentrate on it in order to get away for cops, enemies etc. where required, it's just too easy on V which is one of the main reasons It hasn't taken me long to get through the missions, I rarely had to replay them due to dying etc. In fact I haven't once died during a car chase etc. let alone damaged a car so much that it has blown up unlike the many times I've done this in IV, only thing that I came close to blowing a car up was crashing into the back of someone causing the car to simply stop working.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

I liked IV. I loved the recreation of New York though HD San Andreas is much better to me and I liked the story but the driving just feels weighted and heavy. I have friends that hated IV and feel like V restored their love for the series because of the driving and lighter tone in spots.

jv95_
  • jv95_

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

the IV driving system is a mess i hate it. 

• Shox likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

I have been playing IV for a few years and while I can easily get around the city it just is much more fun driving in IV. There isn't even any speed for the sports cars. That is why the chase missions in IV were the worst while they are a blast in V. 

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Bitcher and Moaner

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:22 AM

It's how gamers on the internet act these days.

A sequel comes out, they always say the previous game was better, even if they downright hated the previous game.

Legend of Zelda fans are notorious for this sh*te.

user14
  • user14

Prankster

• Members

IV driving was the best. wtf u talking about. in gta v feels like mario kart.

• Rollin likes this

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

I'll take GTA V's car handling and GTA IV's car damage.

mooonlights
  • mooonlights

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by mooonlights, 23 September 2013 - 01:25 AM.

The sense of speed in V is just a sh*tty facade due to terrible car damage and all-round unrealistic physics (driving + general euphoria stuff). This generates a lack of thrill and renders the experience dull. Once you see these things, driving fast suddenly becomes really, really boring because there are no dangerous consequences which is what driving fast is supposed to induce in your mind.

In IV if you were speeding along on a motorbike and crashed, you'd go flying and possibly die. That isn't there in V. 

• Todmcfly and Rollin like this

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

The sense of speed in V is just a sh*tty facade due to terrible car damage and all-round unrealistic physics (driving + general euphoria stuff). This generates a lack of thrill and renders the experience dull. Once you see these things, driving fast suddenly becomes really, really boring because there are no dangerous consequences which is what driving fast is supposed to induce in your mind.

In IV if you were speeding along on a motorbike and crashed, you'd go flying and possibly die. That isn't there in V. 

I've died multiple times in V by smashing into a something and flying out the windshield, or even by flying off a motorcycle. 

• Todmcfly likes this

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

it wasn't all bad. pulling off a sharp turn was a little more satisfying then it is now. i lean more towards V though, races are a lot less frustrating this time around, and the turning feels more responsive.

i am however not a fan of the motorbike handling. even though it does help in moto cross challenges, it feels a little too rigid.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

At first, driving those sports cars through LS with Lamar I was thinking "What is this sh*t?". Then I very quickly warmed to V's physics and would struggle to go back to IV's now. It's perfect in V, it's responsive, it's fast, it's exciting and it's just so much more fun. IV's was more realistic, but that's not a good thing. 

Just imagine driving those bloody boat cars over the hills of San Andreas? It would be a nightmare. They did what they had to do in V to make it fit the environment and the fast paced, fun nature of the game. I'm starting to think that the handling in IV was only that way because of how tiny the map is, it makes it feel bigger if the cars are slow and if you have to come to a near stop at every junction. Again - yes it is realistic, but that doesn't make it better. 

V is perfect for car handling. The bikes are terrible though, better than IV (which was a real mess for bikes) but so much worse than TLAD which was perfect. 

• BSanchez0926 and just-a-spaz like this

ScottMU
  • ScottMU

Burger Shot Employee of the Month

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

This, also in IV while travelling at top speeds everything except what was in front of you got blurry and made me feel like I was actually travelling at speed and made things more challenging and I imagine travelling at that speed in real life would feel similar to this, whereas in V you can always see everything around you at top speeds and the whole thing is just too easy, the damage is horrible as well, also you just come to a complete halt when you crash, in IV you could go flying through the windshield or fly off in an awesome barrage of flips and rolls only to end up with half a flaming car and little health left.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

every GTA4 car damages in GTA5 but improvement Yes u can fly out the windshield 

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

the IV driving system is a mess i hate it. 

Rdp6`6
  • Rdp6`6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

IV's physics were good, but the suspensions were too soft. Any every car felt like it had traction control (Same with V) The brakes on V are wayyy too good. The cars are too direct also, too much grip at the front. Put in the slidey car cheat, it feels more realistic, but a bit too slidey in some cases. The driving physics could definitely use a patch or 2. 

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:38 AM Edited by AlasClarin, 23 September 2013 - 01:40 AM.

This thread is the truth and nothing but it. How can people honestly say IV's slippery ice driving is better than V's?

Because you can climb a vertical cliff with a bycicle, do you think that's fun?

Some gif examples...

ixDWLSgZGYKaU.gif

ijy1l944mgr95.gif

wx8.gif

gta-v-driving-2.gif

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Glitcher In 12 Step Program

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

its not about the driving, its the physics...

i choose gta 4 car physics system over V anyday of the week...

yes, the cars would get a little bouncy when speeding and would slip a bit but the cars felt like real cars. you can tell how heavy a car is because somehow you can feel it.the heavy feel heavy, the light feel light.

V all cars feel way too light, the only game i can say that have the same driving system is L.A Noire
in which cars are weightless and can turn in a dime.
  • Fisha695 likes this

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:43 AM Edited by AlasClarin, 23 September 2013 - 01:43 AM.

its not about the driving, its the physics...

i choose gta 4 car physics system over V anyday of the week...

yes, the cars would get a little bouncy when speeding and would slip a bit but the cars felt like real cars. you can tell how heavy a car is because somehow you can feel it.the heavy feel heavy, the light feel light.

V all cars feel way too light, the only game i can say that have the same driving system is L.A Noire
in which cars are weightless and can turn in a dime.

It's the driving, because they could take back the GTA IV driving if they wanted (and there will be driving mods on the PC version which do that). The physic engine is "the same".

Carnotaurus
  • Carnotaurus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

I like IV driving more but that about the only thing I like better in IV then five.  Five driving is not bad because it almost like SA driving.  

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

I like IV driving more but that about the only thing I like better in IV then five.  Five driving is not bad because it almost like SA driving.  

In SA you can't take off a plane like that, or climb a vertical cliff with a bycicle.

• boxmonster likes this

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

Because you can climb a vertical cliff with a bycicle, do you think that's fun?

Some gif examples...

wx8.gif

Whenever someone posts that red car gif, it always reminds me of this video. (at 0:44 seconds, he is driving 70mph)

The plane takeoff is ridiculous. The wet driving looks almost okay to me. It looks like a recovery from a hydroplane. When ever a car recovers from a slide, it's pretty jerky. As far as driving 20-30 mph in IV, and your tires sliding 20 feet, or spinning out and doing a 180.... your tires in real life are not going to slide more than 6 inches to a foot in real life, even pulling the ebrake. Try it. I wouldn't mind a slightly looser suspension on some cars in V, it would make it seem like there is more weight, but I find the driving to be very fun, although it was weird at first.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

How is it a facade? The cars actually feel faster which makes them more fun to play. Can you imagine the chase after the jewelry store heist or chasing after that boat with IV driving? From the people outside of this forum I talk to many agree with me. They won back a lot of the people who hated IV.

Also who cares who fast a plane takes off? They are fun to fly which is what matters.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:03 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 23 September 2013 - 02:03 AM.

Because haters gotta hate.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:04 AM Edited by jamieleng, 23 September 2013 - 02:08 AM.

The driving & especially riding in V is instant gratification. If it was impossible to drive well in IV/EFLC, then I'd agree with you. It took me at least 100 hours to perfect it & I got more of a thrill from driving cars & riding bikes, because it took skill. After 20 hours of V, I can drive full speed into incoming traffic & take corners at ridiculous speeds. However, the bike handling is the worst thing they've done in that regard. Basically, All Rockstar needed to do, was give cars (mainly sports cars), slightly less body roll & a bit more grip.

Now Rockstar could quite easily have given us the best of both worlds, under the guise of 'Driver Assists'. With driver assists (traction control, slip differential etc) on, vehicles would drive like V. Turn them off & it would be closer to IV. Now, obviously for realism, some vehicles wouldn't have driver assists (like old models). There would have to be some common ground & a bit of give & take, as to what the default handling of these cars would be.

Considering this game is at it's core, a driving & shooting (which is superb) game (although it's way more than that now), I don't think that was too much to ask. 

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Only thing I miss from IV is the blur effect that appeared when you were speeding, but the rest I prefer V... damage system is not as bad as I expected it would be and I like this handling cause it's adds action to the game... f*ck IV's driving don't like driving on streets made out of butter 

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Someone posted this video earlier today.

If I saw a car swinging around like the one at the beginning, I would be like WTF. I would flip out. That cars is doing 20 or 30 mph. Look at the parking lot lines for reference. Imagine walking outside a grocery store and seeing a car flopping around like that. Apparently people think it is more realistic.

Here is the thread they posted it in, thread really never took off.    http://gtaforums.com...s-oh-god-again/

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

As a guy who loves both game's handling I disagree. Speed? It doesn't really feel that mind blowing in V. I felt more thrust in GTA IV. To be honest IV's handling fit IV. V's handling fits V. They're both great in their own ways.

Xbox1988
  • Xbox1988

Prankster

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

5 driving is bizarre. no explanation. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users