Photo

Torture Scene Controversy - I Don't Get It

80 replies to this topic
Skysaw Jr
  • Skysaw Jr

Fool

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

It made me uncomfortable, but I think that was the point. 

But a good part of the discomfort was the thought in the back of my head that maybe I liked doing it just a little bit. Being confronted by a dark part of yourself can sometimes be a little unsettling. 

In any case, surely something to keep away from the 10-year-olds whose parents forgot how to say "no."

Gary-X
  • Gary-X

Introducing Bats to Faces since 2001

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

I showed no emotion regarding the torture scene.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

If you weren't the slightest bit disturbed by the torture mission, you are most likely just too young to fully grasp the concept of what was happening, and also the message Rockstar was trying to portray with the entire scene.

Or you could be a sociopath. Either way, I'm concerned. I'm not writing Congress about it so don't get your panties in a bunch... but video games should be about entertainment. Torture is not (inherently) entertaining, and if you find it to be, you should probably keep that to yourself.

I'm 17 years and that scene had no effect on me what so ever. 

I know the world is a dirty place, and playing a f*cking video game with f*cking pixels and 3D Models dont have affect on me. 

Oh no, a 3D model getting his teeth pulled out or a sledge in his balls.

This is the reason why we should be more careful what we put in games like this because there going to be people under the age playing them .  I have pointed this out many times the torture mission is totally not necessary  like many other things in the game they should clean up some parts of the game like paying for sex .

Please tell me you're trolling.

The game is rated for adults. If a parent buys the game for their 9-year-old son without a care, that's THEIR fault. We shouldn't have to censor or "clean up" entertainment that's meant to be consumed and understood by adults purely because of the knowledge that underage gamers get it purchased for them anyway. It's the parents' responsibility to ensure that their children get content appropriate for their maturity, not the entertainment makers.

A parent purchasing a game that involves mass murder, sexual content, torture, and various other forms of depravity for their underage kids doesn't show anything bad about the entertainment industry. It DOES show something bad about a society in which parents cluelessly expose their kids to it, often without even trying to read the content warnings, and then shift the blame onto the creators when they get caught f*cking up.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

SHUT UP AND BLEED

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Did anyone else struggle to jerk their gherkin while Trevor was putting the juice to habibs nipples?  I really had to multitask to blow my load before he stopped.

Sordidjaws
  • Sordidjaws

Heist Planner

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by Sordidjaws, 26 September 2013 - 01:24 AM.

That torture scene was nothing, people who don't like that scene should realize that they bought GRAND THEFT AUTO  a.k.a  A MATURE game.

SprunkJunkie
  • SprunkJunkie

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

What bothers me is people seem to think that torture is an american thing, all countries torture their enemies for information especially brutal during war times.  I loved the scene and used every torture tool available, maybe I'm just a sicko but it is the violence that keeps me coming back to this series.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

The thing I didn't like was that it seemed there was no consequences to that scene.  Yes, it was supposed to be satire, especially with how ignorant, cruel and trigger-happy the federal agents were portrayed but I don't believe you can fail that mission by killing him in the torture.  I think that would have made more of an impact on those players who were reluctant to participate in the scene.  I mean yeah, you could argue that prolonging the scene until the win is achieved  says just as much about how we see torture as a society but I would have liked the possibility of failure.  

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Meh, I just didn't like how the guy was sort of innocent, he HAD all the information, it's just the FBI guy only asked for the info after Trevor tortured him

That was satire; American's obsession with torture (think how well the SAW franchise has done). The message is that, when you're in control, it's not quite the same.

That said, I'm not too bothered by it, but - as I said in another thread about this - I'm surprised that Rockstar has gotten away with everything they've placed in this game without obtaining an A-rating (the torture, the nudity...) when San Andreas -immediately- shot to an A-rating with the grainy and clothed sex mini-game was discovered, hidden.

The difference between SA back then and GTA 5 now are 2 factors:

1. Jack Thompson (now disbarred from any practice of law for life) and

2. Hilary Clinton (too preoccupied with current political headaches to get involved with fantasy events of a console game). :lol:

QuietSundayLibrary
  • QuietSundayLibrary

Abide by God's Glory

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

Being that the majority of society has become purposefully acclimated to that which is psychologically disturbing and traumatizing, it's no surprise to me that many (particularly young males, the brunt of which are the major recipients and consumers of media portraying such horrific acts) weren't -- on the surface -- unnerved by Trevor's reprehensible actions during this disquieting, and quite honestly, barbaric scenario.

I decided to waterboard (what I deemed the "lesser" of the methods) the unfortunate victim, and luckily for me, I only had to do so twice as I made the target out relatively quickly and completed the mission in a relatively minuscule amount of time. There is no doubt that the sequence left an indelible mark on my psyche; to not openly and honestly admit this would be denying any semblance of a conscious -- of HUMANITY -- remaining within me.

• Skysaw Jr likes this

playboyvercetti
  • playboyvercetti

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

as someone who is fairly desensitized, this scene did make me cringe. got over it quick tho and i dont think it went too far

Skysaw Jr
  • Skysaw Jr

Fool

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

There is no doubt that the sequence left an indelible mark on my psyche; to not openly and honestly admit this would be denying any semblance of a conscious -- of HUMANITY -- remaining within me.

I applaud your humanity. 

• QuietSundayLibrary likes this

QuietSundayLibrary
  • QuietSundayLibrary

Abide by God's Glory

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thank you, Skysaw. That's all we have, really.

Hamadmad
  • Hamadmad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Digital-pictures-that-represent-humans Rights !

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

What is so controversial about it? This is a game for f*cks sake. Some of you are retarded little pussies who thinks that torturing pixels is a crime. Cry me a f*cking river. It's nothing to do with humanity either, that's the worst line i've ever seen.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

In defense for the people who hate the scene: I get why they hate it. It goes in little detail about how you hurt him. You feel bad for the guy because not only is literally innocent but HIS BIG SAD EYES makes him too innocent lmao. Jokes aside, I see why they hate it. You are to hurt the guy over and over and witness his pain. It's a GTA game, right, you kill people. But not like this ya know?

I am just on the opposing side because others don't know how to explain why they hate it. lol

I am honestly all for it though because HELLO! Every Gangster film has torture scenes. Why not GTA? Point made

meth.
  • meth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

it wouldn't be GTA if it didn't push peoples buttons & the limits in some way!

• Christoble likes this

Christoble
  • Christoble

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

It's a GTA game! If you felt it crossed the line go play Lego Spider-Man! Jesus

Christoble
  • Christoble

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

It' s a GTA game! If you think it crossed the line go play Lego Spider-Man! Jesus

karl36116
  • karl36116

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

i had to purchase this, could not find another guide to complete all the mission with ease http://bit.ly/1eV9zJH

BeansNYC
  • BeansNYC

Brotherhood of Mutants

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

So torturing innocent people bad in video games. But killing (sometimes almost instantly) innocent people good in video games?

yakuza warlord
  • yakuza warlord

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

I consider myself pretty desensitized to most anything, about 90% of the torture didnt bother me.  It was the waterboarding that made me feel a little uncomfortable.  

But really we are talking about being able to distinguish between an artist's depiction of violence and reality.  Is that how most torture goes down?  Probably not.  But R* depicts it in the way they chose.  So I have that level of "what I am seeing is not actually torture, but art".

I know that sounds a little.. awful and proto-hipsterish, but that has been the one true way I have been able to detach myself from anything disturbing in a video game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users