Photo

Torture Scene Controversy - I Don't Get It

80 replies to this topic
MrDanielPrice
  • MrDanielPrice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

OK, so I've heard that many reviewers have found the scene controversial and even some say they found it uncomfortable to play through.

I played that mission today and completed it 100%. I don't see why some people think it should be skipable or that it shouldn't be in the game full stop. I didn't feel uncomfortable playing it and I'm not sure why anyone else would (assuming they're OK with the general content in GTA). Torture scenes in games, TV and movies aren't exactly new or rare at all, so I'm quite surprised.
  • xChaos Reigns likes this

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

n00b irritant

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Me and my friend were laughing through it.

Guess we're crazy, video games and pretend doesn't upset us.

Mac316
  • Mac316

It's MY car, idiot!

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:28 PM Edited by Mac316, 22 September 2013 - 06:29 PM.

I was actually in stitches all through that scenario. 

Spoiler

:D

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Meh, I just didn't like how the guy was sort of innocent, he HAD all the information, it's just the FBI guy only asked for the info after Trevor tortured him

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

Masked Maniacal Man Mass Murders Millions, Maybe, Man

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Meh, I just didn't like how the guy was sort of innocent, he HAD all the information, it's just the FBI guy only asked for the info after Trevor tortured him

That was satire; American's obsession with torture (think how well the SAW franchise has done). The message is that, when you're in control, it's not quite the same.

That said, I'm not too bothered by it, but - as I said in another thread about this - I'm surprised that Rockstar has gotten away with everything they've placed in this game without obtaining an A-rating (the torture, the nudity...) when San Andreas -immediately- shot to an A-rating with the grainy and clothed sex mini-game was discovered, hidden.

• ONEkingscar likes this

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

n00b irritant

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

San Andreas got the A-rating because they "hid" it.  It was a political move more than anything else.

Either that, or the rules have relaxed since then?

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

San Andreas got the A-rating because they "hid" it.  It was a political move more than anything else.

I guess.
I just thought it was funny; A-rating goes towards the hidden and mild mini-game, yet this game flaunts the things that people find the most controversial and manages an M.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think it should be changed. It's just funny. :)

Kevstyle
  • Kevstyle

True City Killers Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

No, It was rated from M to AO because the hidden "hot coffee" minigame that the hot coffee mod activated it. That mod activated the game code to activate the minigame Rockstar made....

​About the torture game... It wasn't so bad but I know why some people are like "wtf" at that mission. :D But if you dont like to use that just use the same tool over and over again that you like :) And Lol'd at Trevor saying Torturing is legal :D

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:53 PM Edited by SilencedScream, 22 September 2013 - 06:53 PM.

No, It was rated from M to AO because the hidden "hot coffee" minigame that the hot coffee mod activated it. That mod activated the game code to activate the minigame Rockstar made....​

That's what we were talking about; I was just saying that the San Andreas mini-game seemed INCREDIBLY mild (especially since they were still clothed), compared to the torture scene where you can clear see the effects of your actions on the character, so I was surprised they managed to get it with an M-rating.

Wulffeld
  • Wulffeld

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

I felt a little creep during the torture scene - and there's a reason it's rated 18+!!!

I attended the midnight opening at Gamestop and had to wait an hour because of all the 10-15 year olds and their parents apparently HAD to buy the game for them... if only the parents had given it an extra thought (and I wouldn't have had to wait an hour)

Kevstyle
  • Kevstyle

True City Killers Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

No, It was rated from M to AO because the hidden "hot coffee" minigame that the hot coffee mod activated it. That mod activated the game code to activate the minigame Rockstar made....​

That's what we were talking about; I was just saying that the San Andreas mini-game seemed INCREDIBLY mild (especially since they were still clothed), compared to the torture scene where you can clear see the effects of your actions on the character, so I was surprised they managed to get it with an M-rating.

Yes, thats suprising but the game is also rated 18+ for a reason :)

I felt a little creep during the torture scene - and there's a reason it's rated 18+!!!

I attended the midnight opening at Gamestop and had to wait an hour because of all the 10-15 year olds and their parents apparently HAD to buy the game for them... if only the parents had given it an extra thought (and I wouldn't have had to wait an hour)

That's true ^^

SilencedScream
  • SilencedScream

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yes, thats suprising but the game is also rated 18+ for a reason :)

See, in the U.S., it's rated M for Mature (which is 17+). If the game is rated 18+ here, it's A for Adult and isn't sold in... well, pretty much any store.

When San Andreas became A-rated (because of the hot coffee mod), GameStop wouldn't sell it anymore, Walmart stopped carrying it, etc.

DaltonWilliams123
  • DaltonWilliams123

Welsh Wheelman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

The only reason GTA 5 got off with that scene is because Obama loves the game so much. HE loves shooting up hill billys and stealing cars!

Infinityfq
  • Infinityfq

Career Criminal

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

No problem with it.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

I cringed at parts, but in no way think it shouldn't be in the game. I'm glad it was there.

MrANthraX
  • MrANthraX

GTA:V - WS Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I hated that mission, torturing people is crossing the line, even in a game...

• DarkWarrior454 likes this

Lisha
  • Lisha

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

I've done it like 3 times in an attempt to get 100%. Pisses me off, lol.

• watson177 likes this

PsuPepperoni
  • PsuPepperoni

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

It made me uncomfortable but I wouldn't skip it.

I agree that it was satirical; government workers in our country actually do some of that stuff to people.  You kind of get to see how f*cked up it is.

jlamay
  • jlamay

Lost In Liberty City

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

So, does the player have to use all the tools to make the guy talk?

I'm not to this part yet, but I've seen it on YouTube. I have mixed emtions about this part in the game.

BlackeyGRAM
  • BlackeyGRAM

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

I dunno i guess im the jaded type but i found it to be pretty tame compared to sh*t you could do in games like manhunt i was expecting some gnarly sh*t to happen in the torture scene the reviewers make seem as if its as disturbing as a snuff film or something

ijustcameheretobeeotch
  • ijustcameheretobeeotch

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by ijustcameheretobeeotch, 23 September 2013 - 02:30 AM.

yikes, that's the first mission i got a 100% gold on my first try. slowly pulled out a tooth, whacked him with the wrench, dumped the gas on his face and then fried his nipples...just what kind of person am i? lol.

the only mission i found to be torture was having to do yoga for five minutes.

this is the what? 15th grand theft auto game to be made? whats the body count if you add that up? but lets all freak out about the one guy, who you don't even kill. or at least i drove him to the airport and dropped him off.

• watson177 likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

Then you really should get your brained checked and/or shouldn't even own a Grand Theft Auto game. :sui: Burning peds isn't torture? Shooting them in certain parts? How the hell is torturing PIXALS crossing the line? Please just stop playing GTA.

Busta... Straight Busta
  • Busta... Straight Busta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

yikes, that's the first mission i got a 100% gold on my first try. slowly pulled out a tooth, whacked him with the wrench, dumped the gas on his face and then fried his nipples...just what kind of person am i? lol.

the only mission i found to be torture was having to do yoga for five minutes.

this is the what? 15th grand theft auto game to be made? whats the body count if you add that up? but lets all freak out about the one guy, who you don't even kill. or at least i drove him to the airport and dropped him off.

That yoga was terrible. I wonder who the person is that does that activity during the free roam.

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

I did a second play through and you can avoid the torture if you want. I did it by mistake by just sniping the mark from the start since I know who he was. Mike shoots and him and Dave are like I guess we got him, yeah f*ck it we got him.

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

Really? It's not even that controversial compared to previous things R* has done. Manhunt anyone? People need to get off their high horses, it's a f*cking game people. You don't go crazy when it's in movies do you? Not to mention it's Grand Theft Auto, what did you expect, puppy dogs and candy canes? At least Trevor let the guy live. There's a reason why it's rated M

• lanier03 likes this

lanier03
  • lanier03

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

OK, so I've heard that many reviewers have found the scene controversial and even some say they found it uncomfortable to play through.

I played that mission today and completed it 100%. I don't see why some people think it should be skipable or that it shouldn't be in the game full stop. I didn't feel uncomfortable playing it and I'm not sure why anyone else would (assuming they're OK with the general content in GTA). Torture scenes in games, TV and movies aren't exactly new or rare at all, so I'm quite surprised.

That's the tree hugging pussies. Sorry to be so blunt but in a world like our's especially in America, you don't think the CIA, FBI, military & all our black market companies don't do that stuff,, your an idiot. "Found it hard to play through"??? Get over yourself, there's worse sh^t out there you need to be worried about than animal cruelty & gameplay scenes. If that's the world you wanna live in, then go buy a house & paint everything inside pink. Or you could read the game rating on the back before you buy it, (little hint) that's kinda why they put it there so unicorn petting pansies like people that wanna complain about this stuff can't sue 'em.

• xChaos Reigns likes this

lanier03
  • lanier03

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Really? It's not even that controversial compared to previous things R* has done. Manhunt anyone? People need to get off their high horses, it's a f*cking game people. You don't go crazy when it's in movies do you? Not to mention it's Grand Theft Auto, what did you expect, puppy dogs and candy canes? At least Trevor let the guy live. There's a reason why it's rated M

Just put a rage reply into this myself, im tellin you man,,,,we're a world of idiots now-a-days

lanier03
  • lanier03

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:17 AM Edited by lanier03, 23 September 2013 - 05:18 AM.

Then you really should get your brained checked and/or shouldn't even own a Grand Theft Auto game. :sui: Burning peds isn't torture? Shooting them in certain parts? How the hell is torturing PIXALS crossing the line? Please just stop playing GTA.

MrANthraX your a pussie dude sorry, I really am. Go climb a rainbow, find the unicorn at the top, cut his head off, then stick the horn up ur ass. Sorry the world doesn't throw you telatubbie printed tissue everytime you need to wipe your crying little eyes. The faster you open your f*ckin eyes & realize how the world actually works, the better off u'll be :panic: 

jabofu
  • jabofu

Bierbrauer

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I think it was an interesting Mission. I mean, everybody knew what was going to happen. You know you have to torture the poor guy, but they let you choose how. I saw the plier and didnt wanted to take it, because I knew it would be used for teeth or fingers. So, they gave you the choice.

But every option of torture was bad and cruel, but they use those practices all over world in real situations. Especially the USA. I think waterboarding is one of the worst things out there, but their gouvernment use such practices all the time.

If some of you find such things that bad or curel and you are an US-citizen, you should think about what your gouvernment does there.

You can see it everywhere in the game, that they want you to think about how things in the real world really are. In a videogame you are not comfortable with how things go, but in the real world nobody cares. Sad.

Hendrix89
  • Hendrix89

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

The mission was interesting. I wasn't a fan of the torture scene (Especially pulling teeth) But that is my own opinion, but it seems a lot are picking on people who didn't like it.  I understand why people especially the reviewers weren't keen on it   

Possibly should have been skippable such as that Airport massacre level in Modern Warfare 2 (Loved that mission).

Hell i hate SAW movies, Manhunt games etc (In which 2 was banned in the UK)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users