Photo

Any software engineers?

7 replies to this topic
lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

I've always wanted to be a software engineer and absolutely love programming, but could you tell me the average day of a SA. I really like coding and solving problems, but can you get payed well for it. Non-SAs input is also welcomed.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Studied that before I dropped out. Math, lots of high level math. Lots of coding and having to know many different coding languages. If you want to progress further, you have to really delve into the whole development business. It really means that you'll be doing this at work, and at home as well. So get ready for sleepless nights.

My cousin finished his Doctors degree in SE, now a professor, also working on a local space program. Being a good SE is really not as simple as just liking to code, you have to have the logic for it, as well as there is no room for laziness.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Studied that before I dropped out. Math, lots of high level math. Lots of coding and having to know many different coding languages. If you want to progress further, you have to really delve into the whole development business. It really means that you'll be doing this at work, and at home as well. So get ready for sleepless nights.

My cousin finished his Doctors degree in SE, now a professor, also working on a local space program. Being a good SE is really not as simple as just liking to code, you have to have the logic for it, as well as there is no room for laziness.

Not much of a probem, considering I am the best at math in my class.

Haro
  • Haro

I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Math, lots of high level math.

Depends on what kind of programming you are doing. Application development typically does not require a lot of maths, it's more logic and high level design.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

So was I, but that was too much for me.

@Haro, yeah, but our course was the full thing. Assembly, C#, C++, disassembly, writing our own kernel code. So it was the full thing, that math was really helpful. Well, while I could understand it.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

So was I, but that was too much for me.

@Haro, yeah, but our course was the full thing. Assembly, C#, C++, disassembly, writing our own kernel code. So it was the full thing, that math was really helpful. Well, while I could understand it.

Hey yao, would mind explaining to me? What have you learned, while you were stuying? I am still in grade 9 and I know c++, java and batch. Honestly, I don't see myself doing anything else.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hey yao, would mind explaining to me? What have you learned, while you were stuying? I am still in grade 9 and I know c++, java and batch. Honestly, I don't see myself doing anything else.

I'm not him, but thinking like that is going to hold you back. C++, and Java are good if you're developing applications or maybe games, but in general the more languages you know the more opportunities you have, and you're inevitably going to have to pick up something new for a new job. If you know the heck out of C++ then it should make adopting certain other languages pretty easy.

And you're wasting your time with batch. I think Windows system admins use powershell, and everyone else uses bash (Unix shell) for process automation. Bash should be pretty easy if you're willing to forget a few DOS commands.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Why yes. Yes, I happen to be a software engineer.

Aside from base theory - pretty much anything you learn in detail now will be useless when it comes to a career in the industry.

I believe being a 'computer person' is in the blood and not something that can be taught.

Logic and analytical thinking is pretty much the key prerequisite to being a software engineer(or whatever it is called this year). Naturally you should take all the path based course work to see if it is something you actually want to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users