How to leave the engine running.

31 replies to this topic
TheMisanthrope
  • TheMisanthrope

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted or talked about yet so sorry if it has the search bar doesn't work for me on this site.

I was frustrated with the fact that we no longer had the hold Triangle or Y ability to turn out cars on or off.

Well while playing around I figured out how to do it without driving and jumping out.

You simply spin your wheels with L2/LT and while doing that then you get get out of your car and it'll still be on.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Car
    Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I had been wondering that myself. Thanks for the tip. It is a bit silly that they've taken this out, though.

• TheMisanthrope likes this

Niyologist
  • Niyologist

Creation and Destruction are the Circle of Life.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

How can that be taken out after GTA V has went Gold? It was probably reserved for Online. 

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:31 PM Edited by Cylon, 21 September 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Great, I will check that out because this pissed me off. Sometimes you want to leave the engine running for quick getaway.

You can also leave doors open, just hold the sprint button (and maybe push left stick like you are trying to move, I don't remember exactly) and the door will stay open.

EDIT: just tried this and it isn't working. Engine is being turned off as always.

GTATX2K14
  • GTATX2K14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

great tip, another thing ive noticed, on GTA IV, you could leave the door open on a car when you got out, now it seems you cant.

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Anyone else tried it? I can't get this to work.

Dimitrinaut
  • Dimitrinaut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

great tip, another thing ive noticed, on GTA IV, you could leave the door open on a car when you got out, now it seems you cant.

you can still leave the door open but only one way that i have found, when you approach a car push y as soon as he opens the door, pull the left thumb stick as if you where walking away and he will leave it open.

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

I wrote about it above. When you are in the car hold sprint button (A on Xbox / X on PS3) and push left stick. You will exit the car and leave the car door open.

KushaD
  • KushaD

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:53 PM Edited by KushaD, 21 September 2013 - 06:55 PM.

I was so cheesed that you couldn't leave the car running by tapping the exit button on your respective system your using. I always liked parking the car running and being able to hear the radio playing still and the worst part about not being able to do this, is online has the ability for other players to hear what music your playing in the car. So  this ability would be dope to park up / leave the car running listening to Radio Los Santos and PLP with your crew in front the strip club or your house lounging. 

Also it would be sick if you can control the radio in your safe house as well 

BlaineCountyHooker
  • BlaineCountyHooker

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

hahahahahaha who really gives a f*ck, and you wouldnt do that in real life so of course they took it out

Friscoh
  • Friscoh

Grove ST for life!

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

hahahahahaha who really gives a f*ck, and you wouldnt do that in real life so of course they took it out

This isn't real life we're talking about.
Video games bro.

Rafe
  • Rafe

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:06 PM Edited by Rafe, 21 September 2013 - 08:11 PM.

You simply spin your wheels with L2/LT and while doing that then you get get out of your car and it'll still be on.

Just for clarities sake does this mean you input 3 things.

1 Turn your wheels with the Left analog in either direction

2 press and hold Left trigger 

3 hold down the left bumper (L2) ?

Do i understand that correct? 

Actually you would do it in real life if you want to stay in the general area yet continue to use the music. Also you can illuminate dark areas with car headlights by pointing them in the direction you are walking. 

One reason people might not do this in real life is because they own the car in question and the systems that produce energy inside them. GTA cars have no battery life or gas so it's irrational to be concerned about depletion of energy here. 

fzz
  • fzz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

I gotta test this soon if I would get it on work.

I hope really so.

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

If someone manages to do this, please tell but I really doubt it as I have tried everything.

Crav3
  • Crav3

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hold the TRIANGLE button when completly stopped and the car stays running. I thought of trying this since in gta4 you wouldbhold it to turn it off. In gta5 they switched the TRIANGLE action with taxis so I tried it to leave the car on and it works. Try it. It worked for me lol

Strengthcamp
  • Strengthcamp

Employee

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hold the TRIANGLE button when completly stopped and the car stays running. I thought of trying this since in gta4 you wouldbhold it to turn it off. In gta5 they switched the TRIANGLE action with taxis so I tried it to leave the car on and it works. Try it. It worked for me lol

Can someone confirm this?

And yeah I did find it a bit annoying being in the dark without headlights, sometimes I need to see where I'm going.

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

Can someone confirm this?

And yeah I did find it a bit annoying being in the dark without headlights, sometimes I need to see where I'm going.

Confirming it does not work.

Tried with multiple cars, they all turned off.

DrandonBavis
  • DrandonBavis

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

I just think it would of been so cool to be able to keep your car on and use your headlights to see and still hear the radio. Headlights in the dark can be very useful. I'm surprised we can only leave the car on when jumping out while driving... Plus, sometimes starting up the car again is detrimental! I've been shot so many times due to my car being off when it should have already been on, trying to start it back up again. It's so weird that rockstar dropped the ball in that area lol

Crav3
  • Crav3

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

Hmm.. im sur it worked for me. Ill try again later and let you all know..

VIPERGTSR01
  • VIPERGTSR01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Once I got out of Trevors truck and the engine stayed running and lights on, I have been trying to replicate it since to no avail. 

I will try ideas from this thread.

As for leaving the door open, I always liked the ability when getting out of cars, in a rush (ie chasing someone or getting in a road rage fight) you often would ignore closing it properly in real life also.

Rafe
  • Rafe

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think people that are doing this are diving out of their vehicles. That is the only way i have been able to leave my car running, abandon it but jumping out while it's still driving . 

RoadRaaage
  • RoadRaaage

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

I tried this and doesnt work?

Crav3
  • Crav3

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

I swear it worked but I tried it multiple times already and cannot replicate..

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Does the radio stayed on, i used to like getting out the car and the tunes still PUMPIN!

Kelgar
  • Kelgar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

I swear it worked but I tried it multiple times already and cannot replicate..

same here, I managed to leave the car on twice since I got the game but still haven't been able to replicate it trying to hold every button while getting out. I wasn't doing anything particular when it happened as far as I know, so I think this is probably a glitch/oversight.

I hope they'll fix it with the next patch, it was nice to have the option and it was useful in some situations. I just now barely got away from a police chase where this feature would have really helped, especially since I was driving an emperor and those cars sometimes take longer than usual to turn on.

Does the radio stayed on, i used to like getting out the car and the tunes still PUMPIN!

yes, the radio stayed on

RAZD
  • RAZD

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

well i dont get it

it doesnt work4me 

i tried HOLD L2 

and nothin 

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

One way, that I've found it working 95% of the time.
Shoot your weapon whilst in the car. 3 shots, as soon as the third shot fires and your reticle turns a light grey, hit exit.
It's all about the timing.

This works with your fist equipped as a weapon too but the timing is very hard.
I used my silenced .50 pistol. Other guns may have different timing.

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

This may not be new to some but when I press and hold triangle, Franklin doesnt break in but stealthily opens the door. I cant do that with Trevor or Michael.

Crav3
  • Crav3

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

@zainzombie franklin always stealthly picks yhe lock when I press triangle. And when it stayed on when I got out you could hear the music. And it helped when I was shooting the car to lower it like in gta4

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

I've left the car running twice! Lol, never did it ever since

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users